/* */

PDA

View Full Version : me and my lady patients

Asyur an-Nagi
12-22-2006, 04:20 PM
i am a dentist. and most of my patients are women. in diagnosing or performing any operative procedure, i definitely have to touch their mouth (tongue, teeth, palate, or lips). is it actually fine in Islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
syilla
12-23-2006, 05:35 AM
I'm sure you wear gloves all the times...

and for sure there is a nurse beside you right?

lolwatever
12-23-2006, 05:40 AM
:sl:
http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=12987&ln=eng

If the treatment for an illness is only known by a man it is OK for him to treat a woman, because this is a case of necessity. Similarly, if the treatment for a man's illness is only known by a woman, it is OK for her to treat him. Otherwise, male doctors must treat men and female doctors must treat women. This is obligatory. The same applies to nurses, both female and male.
:)
:w:

Asyur an-Nagi
12-23-2006, 05:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
I'm sure you wear gloves all the times...

and for sure there is a nurse beside you right?
yes. I wear gloves all the times. and a male dental hygienist assistant.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al_Imaan
12-23-2006, 09:24 PM
wearing gloves doesnt mean anything cuz its like saying that (Male speaker):"i wore gloves before shaking hands with a female"...i dont know about the rest but the gloves dont make a difference

Asyur an-Nagi
12-26-2006, 10:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al_imaan_786
wearing gloves doesnt mean anything cuz its like saying that (Male speaker):"i wore gloves before shaking hands with a female"...i dont know about the rest but the gloves dont make a difference
so i should reject the female patients?

SUMMAYAH
12-26-2006, 10:22 AM
Do you have other dentists at you Practise? You could maybe sort the patients out by date-of -births and gender. You could take the males and theelderly female patients....
Btw are you based in Yorkshire or Lancashire by any chance?

Asyur an-Nagi
12-26-2006, 11:07 AM
i am the only dentist in the night shift. last week, a university female student had a terrible maxillofacial trauma. and i had no choice but stop her bleeding, checked her airway, and stabilized her vital sign. the 'night shifter' dentists have no option when they are in the ER. oh yea, i am an oral surgery resident.

i left Hong Kong last eid. and i work in a teaching hospital in my hometown, Jakarta.

SUMMAYAH
12-26-2006, 11:12 AM
Then I guess it's okay to deal with female patients in absolute emergencies, as in your case. But i'm only guessing.....

Al_Imaan
12-29-2006, 06:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi
so i should reject the female patients?
well, in emergencies it's ok but im not sure about other female patients...i don't know where i have read this in the Quran and hadith...so i can't give u proof but maybe the others in LI may have info. i just know that it's ok in emergencies but the female patients can be seen by other doctors too if it's something in general that can be taken care of by other dentists.

snakelegs
12-29-2006, 07:39 PM
well, obviously i don't know what i'm talking about, but i never let that stop me!
i don't know if you can extrapolate from this, but someone asked about music in a video game and was told that there is a difference between hearing and listening - the key was "intent". (which was to play the game, not listen to music).
so, in treating your patients, your intent is merely to help them - in a way, they are just so many mouths, cavities, teeth, smelly breath, etc etc. and their gender is really irrelevant.
in case of an emergency, i'm sure it would be fine if there is no woman dentist around, because saving a life is so important.
hmmmm.... i think i'll start a thread on "intent" in the basics of islam section, then we can all learn.
maybe somebody will correct what i've said here too.

Mawaddah
12-29-2006, 07:43 PM
Assalamu'alaikum.

Brother lolwatever already posted the correct fatwa in relevance to this question, and I was only just now listening to a lecture by the Sheikh Muqbil rahimahullah. He was questioned by a brother who asked him : Is it permissable for a woman who is possessed by jinn to be treated by a male excorciser, and is it permissable to place his hand on her forehead as part of the treatment?

The Sheikh answered that it is allowed as it is out of necessity, when you treat a patient and touch them, male or female, it is out of necessity, and the Sheikh also mentioned that when Rasulullah and his companions used to go out for war, they would take along the women to help give medical attention to the wounded Mujaahideen.

Wallahu A3lam.

Al_Imaan
12-30-2006, 01:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
i didn't notice this but this is the best answer u can get.
:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.