/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Giant Catfish

Hajar
07-01-2005, 08:59 AM
:sl:

Nearly nine feet long (2.7 meters) and as big as a grizzly bear, a huge catfish caught in northern Thailand may be the largest freshwater fish ever recorded.

MashaAllah....

giant catfish

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pinkrose
07-03-2005, 01:33 PM

Subhanallah!! :omg: :omg:
That is one HUGE fish!!!!
Woah!!
Thanx for sharing sis!! ;)

junna1
07-03-2005, 09:18 PM

Subhanallah, that is one looooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggg catfish :omg:

BlissfullyJaded
07-03-2005, 09:36 PM

I don't like catfish.. loq.. :zip:

Anyways, I remember reading this a while back. SubhanAllah, that is huge. :omg:

Why did the fishermen actually have to pull it out of the water tho.. The poor fish.. :'(

:)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pinkrose
07-03-2005, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mm_ca04

I don't like catfish.. loq.. :zip:

Anyways, I remember reading this a while back. SubhanAllah, that is huge. :omg:

Why did the fishermen actually have to pull it out of the water tho.. The poor fish.. :'(

I don't like fish either but I felt the same way!! :'(
They killed it right?

Lina
07-03-2005, 09:53 PM

One big meal

Pinkrose
07-03-2005, 09:54 PM

~OMG~ :omg: :omg: :omg:

That is Crazy!! How could they do such a thing!!! :omg:

GROSS!!! :zip:

BlissfullyJaded
07-03-2005, 09:58 PM

:omg: :omg:

Okay, I know it woulda died at some point anyway, but sheesh, thats cruel to take it out of its habitat and just kill it. :omg:

kadafi
07-03-2005, 10:07 PM
It is He Who has made the sea subject, that ye may eat thereof flesh that is fresh and tender, and that ye may extract therefrom ornaments to wear; and thou seest the ships therein that plough the waves, that ye may seek (thus) of the bounty of Allah and that ye may be grateful. (An-Nahl:14)

Nor are the two bodies of flowing water alike,- the one palatable, sweet, and pleasant to drink, and the other, salt and bitter. Yet from each (kind of water) do ye eat flesh fresh and tender, and ye extract ornaments to wear; and thou seest the ships therein that plough the waves, that ye may seek (thus) of the Bounty of Allah that ye may be grateful. (Al-Fatir:12)

Halima
07-04-2005, 03:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hajar

Nearly nine feet long (2.7 meters) and as big as a grizzly bear, a huge catfish caught in northern Thailand may be the largest freshwater fish ever recorded.

MashaAllah....

giant catfish

Almost as big as an anaconda! subhanallah :omg:

Muezzin
07-04-2005, 04:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Lina

One big meal
WOW! Are Catfish halal? I gotta get me some of that action!

junna1
07-04-2005, 10:11 PM

Yuck, that is naaaaaaaaasssssssstttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyy. :zip:

Muezzin
07-04-2005, 10:23 PM
Speak for yourself. Imagine that beauty with some chips on the side. Bliss.

Pinkrose
07-05-2005, 02:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin

:omg:

I can't imagine anything that has to do with fish!! Seafood and I just don't get along!! It makes me sick!! :zip:

btw: I think that catfish are halal cuz' my older bro told me that anything in the ocean is halal!! :D

Angel24
07-05-2005, 02:45 AM
woooo...that really is huge..... :omg:
but eating it ewwww...it is kind of ewww.....

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-05-2005, 03:31 AM
I tend to agree. The image of the giant catfish seems quite appetizing, mash'Allah. :p Yes, it is halal, as are all sea creatures (although some scholars have held different opinions about some types).

Pinkrose
07-05-2005, 03:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ansar Al-'Adl

I tend to agree. The image of the giant catfish seems quite appetizing, mash'Allah. :p Yes, it is halal, as are all sea creatures (although some scholars have held different opinions about some types).

GROSS!! :omg:
To me it looks more like Pukish!! :omg:
Don't tell me your gonna try it too!! :zip:

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-05-2005, 03:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pinkrose

GROSS!! :omg:
To me it looks more like Pukish!! :omg:
Don't tell me your gonna try it too!! :zip:

:sl: Which is the 'pukish' picture? The first or the second?

I guess the skin might be pukish but you can just peel it off.

BlissfullyJaded
07-05-2005, 04:03 AM

I don't deny it'd be halaal. But erm, I guess cuz of seeing the picture I'm sickened by it. And then to add to it my dad tasted catfish a long time back and he doesn't like it. :zip:

aminahshijabs
07-05-2005, 04:12 AM
I don't like sea food either. It is kind of funny, I don't speak arabic very well, but my husbands family has no trouble makeing fun of me not likeing fish. :)

Pinkrose
07-05-2005, 10:17 AM
:sl: Which is the 'pukish' picture? The first or the second?

I guess the skin might be pukish but you can just peel it off.

The one that they are cutting it looks pukish!!

:w: :zip:

Muezzin
07-05-2005, 12:38 PM

I don't think shark meat is halal though. I don't have anything to back this up with by the way, I just have a gut feeling (pun intended), since it eats other fish (and draws blood). I also think anyone who could eat a dolphin is a vicious monster. :)

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-05-2005, 06:23 PM
I don't think shark meat is halal though. I don't have anything to back this up with by the way, I just have a gut feeling (pun intended), since it eats other fish (and draws blood). I also think anyone who could eat a dolphin is a vicious monster. :)
You are correct that there is a difference of opinion, but the most authoritative view is that it is permissable according to Shaykh-ul-Islam Muhammamad bin Saalih Al-Uthaymeen who said:
There is no exception to sea creatures - all that is in it is permissable according to the generality of the Verse and the Hadith. Some of the scholars have made the exception for the frog, the crocodile, and the snake, but the most authoritative view is that everything that does not live except in the sea is permissable. (Fatawa Islamiya, Volume 6, page 22)
Therefore, the Sharia itself does not contain any prohibitions in this regard and leaves it open to the individual and the societal customs in which they live in. I believe that the scholars may distinguish between crocodiles and aligators since the latter is known to spend more time out of the water, like a crab.

Hedgehog and Hippopotamus were also ruled permissable. :p Does anyone know if they taste good?

Pinkrose
07-05-2005, 06:31 PM

If someone really did know how it tasted would you really eat it!!? :omg: :zip:

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-05-2005, 06:33 PM
if it tasted good, why not? Say 'Bismillah' and dig in! :D

Pinkrose
07-05-2005, 06:41 PM
if it tasted good, why not? Say 'Bismillah' and dig in! :D

:omg: :omg: :omg:

Now that is something i would never eat even if it was the only food in the world!! :zip:

Gross!!

:w: :shade:

Muezzin
07-05-2005, 08:03 PM

You are correct that there is a difference of opinion, but the most authoritative view is that it is permissable according to Shaykh-ul-Islam Muhammamad bin Saalih Al-Uthaymeen who said:
There is no exception to sea creatures - all that is in it is permissable according to the generality of the Verse and the Hadith. Some of the scholars have made the exception for the frog, the crocodile, and the snake, but the most authoritative view is that everything that does not live except in the sea is permissable. (Fatawa Islamiya, Volume 6, page 22)
Therefore, the Sharia itself does not contain any prohibitions in this regard and leaves it open to the individual and the societal customs in which they live in. I believe that the scholars may distinguish between crocodiles and aligators since the latter is known to spend more time out of the water, like a crab.

Hedgehog and Hippopotamus were also ruled permissable. :p Does anyone know if they taste good?

Hedgehogs? They don't live underwater! Besides, they're kinda prickly.

And Hippos? Hmm... it'd certainly bring an all new meaning to the game 'Hungry Hungry Hippos'

Brother_Mujahid
07-05-2005, 08:12 PM
all that meat on that hippo, you could hold a feast with a hippo.

back to cat fish, its amazing it gets so big, although most species stay small. the catfish feed on algae which grow due to the sun.

wasalam :shade:

Muezzin
07-05-2005, 08:13 PM
It's probably a mutant catfish.

So bust out the ketchup.

Brother_Mujahid
07-05-2005, 08:17 PM
we need to first of all, put it in the handi and get some aunti to put marcha and masala on it. that way it will be really yummy for your tummy when you burst out and bring on the ketchup.

whaddya say?

Muezzin
07-05-2005, 08:19 PM
I say 'Hahn Jee!' And other assorted Punjabi affirmations.

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-05-2005, 08:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pinkrose

Now that is something i would never eat even if it was the only food in the world!! :zip:

Gross!!
Even pig becomes permissable if its the only food avaolable (and you'll die otherwise)! If someone told you hippo tastes goood, you should be adventurous and try it!

Hedgehogs? They don't live underwater!
I know, I just mentioned them because they were also mentioned in the same fatwa. :)

Besides, they're kinda prickly.
We pluck chicken feathers, so why not pluck hedgehog needles?

And Hippos? Hmm... it'd certainly bring an all new meaning to the game 'Hungry Hungry Hippos'
true! :laugh:

all that meat on that hippo, you could hold a feast with a hippo.
I hope there is good meat, and not just loads of fat.

Muezzin
07-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up bro Ansar.

I think Hippo meat would be kind of tough. Like really chewy. Kind of like goat. Catfish I think would taste absolutely awesome :brother:

Pinkrose
07-05-2005, 08:55 PM

*runs out of the room about to puke!!*

GROSS!!!

:w: :zip:

zircon
04-28-2006, 10:25 PM
wow.. ya kareem.. all praises are only to HIM

Snowflake
04-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Gosh yeah!!! I thought about chips as soon as I saw it..yummm!

p.s All you fish lovers out there.. you gotto try Asda's fried fish at their restaurant.. it's deliciously unforgettable! :okay:

Nawal89
04-29-2006, 12:37 PM
why is everyone saying eww to catfish? Catfish is delicous. I wouldnt mind some of that giant catfish myself...

masak chilli padi..yamiam.

Tania
05-01-2006, 07:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Labibah

Would have been much better to release him, save his life.
I never eat catfish, hedgehogs or hippopotamus -
but i found all of them very cute. :) I could not eat them, like i could not eat the rabbit once.

ummsara1108
01-13-2008, 07:03 PM
I have learned catfish is not halal because of the scales on it's body, also crab by some have been said to be harram as well, I have no idea why crab would be haram and lobster be halal they have the same shell. visit http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com you will be shocked to find out what is halal and haram

Mikayeel
01-13-2008, 07:29 PM
thats ONE BIG JUICY FISH!!!, man i will be munching on that for a year!:)

Fish is the tasty!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.