/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Book: Muhammad - His Life Based on the Earliest Sources?

rburdock
12-24-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi All,
I've been hunting around for a definitive, non-bias biography on Muhammad in English. This one from Martin Lings appears to 'tick all the boxes' but I just thought I would run the question through this forum to gather a few opinions as to whether you do consider this to be a viable biography or if a more balanced or indeed comprehensive account exists in the English language.
Many thanks
Robert

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Abu Zakariya
12-24-2006, 09:52 AM
From what I've heard, it's generally a great biography.
However, what is said about the Prophet's (may God's peace and blessings be upon him) marriage to Zaynab (may God be pleased with her) isn't correct.

http://www.islamtoday.com/show_detai...&main_cat_id=2

Other than that - it's a good biography.

rubiesand
12-24-2006, 10:20 AM
I don't think you will find a more comprehensive biography of the Prophet (peace be upon him) in the English language than the one by Martin Lings.

Sabbir_1
12-24-2006, 11:47 AM
yeh its a good book, but i dont like how its written...if you wanna read a good book about the life of prophet muhammed s.a.w, read

Muhammad: Man and Prophet (Adil M Salahi)
prthats a a good book, easy and simple to understand..

http://onlineislamicstore.com/b7111.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Muslim Knight
12-24-2006, 02:11 PM
Martin Lings; Best narrative of Seerah yet. I loved it! The moment I read it I came to realize how human and real Prophet Muhammad was, a person who was alive and did magnificent things, not some mythical hero of an epic written by unknown sages.

aby5y
12-24-2006, 06:36 PM
:sl:

How are you? I have read the biography by Martin Lings and it is very good. I found it very helpful in understanding the life of our Beloved Prophet (saw). I highly recommend this book.

Abdul Rehman!

:w:

rburdock
12-24-2006, 10:10 PM
I would like to thank everyone most kindly for their help. It would seem then that Dr. Ling's biography is indeed a worthy addition to my library.

I am reading another Seerah at the moment - The Life of Muhammad by Tahia Al-Ismail and although I haven't read Ling's version yet I'm finding this one to be most interesting. Not sure if anyone has any comments on this version?
Anyway many thanks again everyone for all of your help and guidance.
Peace
Robert

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.