/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Submit the right word for it?

Staffy
07-02-2005, 09:22 AM
:w:
The question: "Is submit the right word?"
When one hears Submit now they asume someone obressed submiting to the obressor or somthing of the like......It sound as if we have no choice in the matter and we are in a state of submission wether we like it or not.........

I think a more correct word would be "surrender" for we muslims surrender to the will of Allah knowingly and willingly for all praise is due to him and in his infinate mercy and wisdom he has given us free will and that free will makes us who we are.......Sure we see it as not having any choice for if we do what Allah dislikes it is sure to lead to hellfire, But even then wouldent it be better to 'Surender' for we know that is we fight gods wish for us then we will surely loose??

I have posted this subject on a forum before with no reaction but i feel we have some more inteligable Brothers and Sisters on this forum than the last so i am looking forward to reading all your replys..................Staffy :brother: :sl:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ansar Al-'Adl
07-02-2005, 03:30 PM
:sl:

WolrdNet English Dictionary:
submit, subject:
refer for judgment or consideration; "She submitted a proposal to the agency"

submit, state, put forward, posit:
put before; "I submit to you that the accused is guilty"

submit:
yield to the control of another

present, submit:
hand over formally

relegate, pass on, submit:
refer to another person for decision or judgment; "She likes to relegate difficult questions to her colleagues"

submit, bow, defer, accede, give in:
submit or yield to another's wish or opinion; "The government bowed to the military pressure"

take, undergo, submit:
accept or undergo, often unwillingly; "We took a pay cut"

put in, submit:
make an application as for a job or funding; "We put in a grant to the NSF"

render, submit:
make over as a return; "They had to render the estate"

resign, reconcile, submit:
accept as inevitable; "He resigned himself to his fate"
Submit doesn't necessarily imply oppression. Maybe in terms of one human submitting to another, one may get that picture, but when human beings submit to God, it has nothing to dow tih oppression since God is Just and Fair.

Muezzin
07-02-2005, 05:28 PM
I agree with bro Ansar. I think 'surrender' implies oppression more than 'submit'. To me, the latter word implies a willingness and fits just fine. :)

Staffy
07-03-2005, 01:11 AM
So we see it as submiting ourselfs like a document?? i see finally sombody has explained it:) Thanks Brother your right Submit is a better translation than surrender............Ahshame the west dosent ussaly see it that way :'( but we can't get hung up on what they think now can we;) Thanks for your input and Wasalam salam...........Staffy :brother:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ansar Al-'Adl
07-03-2005, 02:55 AM
:sl: Not like a document, but like a loving servant sets aside his personal desires and submits to the wishes of the Glorified King of the Universe, Allah, The Exalted.

Staffy
07-03-2005, 03:00 AM
Yes "submit to the wishes" is a good translation
Wassalam Brother

Ansar Al-'Adl
07-03-2005, 06:39 PM
I'm glad you brought this subject up any ways, as it does get misunderstood.

Anyway, here's some food for thought for everyone:
Definition Of Islam

The word ISLAM has a two-fold meaning: peace, and submission to God. This submission requires a fully conscious and willing effort to submit to the one Almighty God. One must consciously and conscientiously give oneself to the service of Allah. This means to act on what Allah enjoins all of us to do (in the Qur'an) and what His beloved Prophet, Muhammad (pbuh) encouraged us to do in his Sunnah (his lifestyle and sayings personifying the Qur'an).

Once we humble ourselves, rid ourselves of our egoism and submit totally to Allah, and to Him exclusively, in faith and in action, we will surely feel peace in our hearts. Establishing peace in our hearts will bring about peace in our external conduct as well.

Islam is careful to remind us that it not a religion to be paid mere lip service; rather it is an all-encompassing way of life that must be practiced continuously for it to be Islam. The Muslim must practice the five pillars of the religion: the declaration of faith in the oneness of Allah and the prophet hood of Muhammad (pbuh), prayer, fasting the month of Ramadan, alms-tax, and the pilgrimage to Makkah; and believe in the six articles of faith: belief in God, the Holy Books, the prophets, the angels, the Day of Judgment and God's decree, whether for good or ill.

There are other injunctions and commandments which concern virtually all facets of one's personal, family and civic life. These include such matters as diet, clothing, personal hygiene, interpersonal relations, business ethics, responsibilities towards parents, spouse and children, marriage, divorce and inheritance, civil and criminal law, fighting in defense of Islam, relations with non-Muslims, and so much more.
SOURCE

ummnoura
08-18-2005, 05:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Staffy
I think a more correct word would be "surrender" for we muslims surrender to the will of Allah knowingly and willingly for all praise is due to him and in his infinate mercy and wisdom he has given us free will and that free will makes us who we are.......Sure we see it as not having any choice for if we do what Allah dislikes it is sure to lead to hellfire, But even then wouldent it be better to 'Surender' for we know that is we fight gods wish for us then we will surely loose??
Surrender brings to mind people losing a war and they surrender, hence give up, to the enemy. I don't think it applies at all.

kristy :sister:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.