/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Interviews

snakelegs
12-29-2006, 11:17 PM
i think it would be fun and interesting if someone did interviews here - esp. of the administrators and the mods, so we could get to "know" them better.
stuff like country or background, interests (beside islam, that is), what languages they speak, what islam has meant in their lives on a personal level, age, whether they are born muslims or reverts, what line of work they're in or what they are studying in school, general philosophy of life, what countries they have lived in - stuff like that. kinda get a little glimpse of the people behind the names.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Ruler
12-30-2006, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i think it would be fun and interesting if someone did interviews here - esp. of the administrators and the mods, so we could get to "know" them better.
stuff like country or background, interests (beside islam, that is), what languages they speak, what islam has meant in their lives on a personal level, age, whether they are born muslims or reverts, what line of work they're in or what they are studying in school, general philosophy of life, what countries they have lived in - stuff like that. kinda get a little glimpse of the people behind the names.
Greetings snakelegs...

there was a thread like this before interviewing wAk (aka zAk)...and it was deleted due to free-mixing and also because it was not beneficial.

:)

Peace

snakelegs
12-31-2006, 02:45 AM
yeah, i see that this idea didn't generate much enthusiasm.
perhaps a person could be selected to do the interviewing and the thread limited to just that, so there wouldn't be the problems you describe.
maybe i am just overly curious about people...
oh, well - another brilliant idea crumbles. :hiding:

BlissfullyJaded
12-31-2006, 05:16 AM
Cool idea. It can prove quite interesting, provided off topic posts will be at a minumum. Perhaps if this were to happen, create a thread where you ask the questions, and we can all answer in that thread, and avoid making any jokey comments regarding what others have said. I doubt I made any sense. :skeleton:

Anyways, I'm partial to this idea, it sounds good and can work out.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Skillganon
12-31-2006, 06:11 AM
That sounds like an interesting idea, well we have to see how it goes. Maybe if it is specifically moderated.

Woodrow
12-31-2006, 07:55 AM
I think it should be restricted only to those who volunteer to be interviewed.

I have no problem with that. Much of my life is already out in the open in a few of the threads. I'm a big mouth.

Malaikah
12-31-2006, 08:08 AM
We have something like this already in the sisters section- The Hot Seat. :D

Maybe it would be better if we did this in the Mixed-female section? (and you can join it snaklegs).

snakelegs
12-31-2006, 08:32 AM
but that would only be the mods who are sisters - i'm interested in the whole bunch.

Malaikah
12-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Oh well ok fair enough. How come you only want the mods? I'm interesting too. :cry:

lol just kidding. :hiding:

snakelegs
12-31-2006, 10:59 AM
actually, it would be cool if members (esp. the active ones who've been around for a while) agreed to allow themselves to be interviewed too - why not? i'm always curious about the person behind the name.
again, the free-mixing problem could be avoided by limiting the thread to the participation of only the interviewer and the person being interviewed.

aamirsaab
12-31-2006, 12:11 PM
:sl:
I wouldn't mind being interviewed. Just don't make it a police interview, know what I mean?

Far7an
12-31-2006, 12:15 PM
I, and other mods would prefer it if this was restricted to the gender rooms.

Umm Yoosuf
12-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Mods are just bunch of boring robots. Who would want to interview them? :X

snakelegs
12-31-2006, 11:11 PM
i just think it would be interesting to know about the people who make this forum run.
Far7an, i understand what you're saying and there would be no need for people to participate if they weren't comfortable about it. however, the questions could be limited to things the mod felt OK about sharing with the other gender... we wouldn't need to know stuff like are you married or single.

AmarFaisal
12-31-2006, 11:18 PM
Hi,
I feel like snale legs stole the words from my mouth. With all us newcomers, n not very frequent visitors of this forum, we'd like to know who the person replying to a post actually is. Not a lot of details but very basic ones. Instead of interviewing them just create a few questions n let everyone who signs in as a member answer those questions. So next time we wanna know who answered the question n how reliable the info could be, we could just go in that thread n read abt the person.Something like the table that appears to our left under our username, just in a thread though.:)

Ummu Sufyaan
01-01-2007, 06:47 AM
:sl: brothers and sisters.

i have to disagree very strongly with this idea, as i am afaird that it may go places where we don't want it. either keep it strictly in gender sections, or not at all.

Umar001
01-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Ask me not questions I'll tell you no lies.

Brother Woodrow, if we were to interview you we'd need tonnes and tonnes of time to think of questions which would encompass instances from your very adventerous life.

Woodrow
01-01-2007, 04:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Ask me not questions I'll tell you no lies.

Brother Woodrow, if we were to interview you we'd need tonnes and tonnes of time to think of questions which would encompass instances from your very adventerous life.
Brother, each person here has a very unique set of life adventures. Oddly the things you see today as common place will be seen as extreme adventures by young people when you reach the age of 60 or more.

We all are faced with strong trials throughout our lives. The older we get it only means we have lived through more trials. The things that are seen as adventures in the past, did not seem as adventures at the time. They were often hardships and times of great errors.

I have not had any more adventures than the youngest person here. I just had more time to make some very serious errors. If I had not been so stubborn and so impatient, I could have avoided much pain and many wasted years.

The truth of the matter is, when you see somebody who has had a lot of adventures, it generaly means they took a long time to mature and lean how to handle real responsibility. I have seen more maturity in the young members here, then I had at 50 years old. Accepting maturity and responsibility is the real and most important adventure life has to offer.

Umar001
01-01-2007, 04:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Brother, each person here has a very unique set of life adventures. Oddly the things you see today as common place will be seen as extreme adventures by young people when you reach the age of 60 or more.

We all are faced with strong trials throughout our lives. The older we get it only means we have lived through more trials. The things that are seen as adventures in the past, did not seem as adventures at the time. They were often hardships and times of great errors.

I have not had any more adventures than the youngest person here. I just had more time to make some very serious errors. If I had not been so stubborn and so impatient, I could have avoided much pain and many wasted years.

The truth of the matter is, when you see somebody who has had a lot of adventures, it generaly means they took a long time to mature and lean how to handle real responsibility. I have seen more maturity in the young members here, then I had at 50 years old. Accepting maturity and responsibility is the real and most important adventure life has to offer.

See what am saying Woodrow, the above is totally and clearly and absolutly why we should interview you. The more you say the more I think you should be interviewed. If I were you I'd delete the post because its making me want to interview you more lol.

Eesa

Woodrow
01-01-2007, 05:46 PM
I can understand the curiosity of the members about who we are. There is nobody here with anything to hide. However, this can be seen as an invasion of privacy or a possible source of fitnah and/or bragging.

Ok, Then how About doing it like this.

All of you get together and write up a list of 10 to twenty quetions. Non-Gender specific. Post the list here and allow any who wish to answer to answer them. It will be the same questions for each person, who desires to answer.

Some examples

1.Place of Birth

2.Age
(Allow freedom for that to be answered with either a specific age or vage such as under 21, over 21 etc)

3.Countries lived in

4.Jobs held

4.Favorite job

Plus any other questions you desire. Agree on a list. Personaly I will only reply to one list and only if it is no more than 20 questions. I also will not answer any specific personal questions nor would I expect any one else to. By personal I mean identifying enformation. (Such as email ID, messnger ID, home address, Full name etc)

Umar001
01-01-2007, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
I can understand the curiosity of the members about who we are. There is nobody here with anything to hide. However, this can be seen as an invasion of privacy or a possible source of fitnah and/or bragging.

Ok, Then how About doing it like this.

All of you get together and write up a list of 10 to twenty quetions. Non-Gender specific. Post the list here and allow any who wish to answer to answer them. It will be the same questions for each person, who desires to answer.

Some examples

1.Place of Birth

2.Age
(Allow freedom for that to be answered with either a specific age or vage such as under 21, over 21 etc)

3.Countries lived in

4.Jobs held

4.Favorite job

Plus any other questions you desire. Agree on a list. Personaly I will only reply to one list and only if it is no more than 20 questions. I also will not answer any specific personal questions nor would I expect any one else to. By personal I mean identifying enformation. (Such as email ID, messnger ID, home address, Full name etc)
Well of course, I thought questions would be like 'What part of Islam interest you the most' and 'what islamic book did you last read' and so forth. I didnt think people would ask 'what colour hair you got' lol

Eesa

Woodrow
01-01-2007, 06:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Well of course, I thought questions would be like 'What part of Islam interest you the most' and 'what islamic book did you last read' and so forth. I didnt think people would ask 'what colour hair you got' lol

Eesa
'what colour hair you got' lol
That is the easiest question for a male my age to answer.

Answer: Just a forgotten memory

Pk_#2
01-01-2007, 07:30 PM
:skeleton: Das quite depressing.

The Ruler
01-02-2007, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tasmiyah_B
:skeleton: Das quite depressing.
not really...it's actually helpful...that way, you can get off easy when you commit a crime and your being interrogated

:w:

Far7an
01-02-2007, 05:10 PM
I don't mind Woodrow being interviewed, in fact I think it's an awsome idea, but I don't like the idea of it being in the public forum.

Snakelegs, you could start with the female mods in the private section for sisters.

BlissfullyJaded
01-04-2007, 01:30 AM
I agree, it would be wisest for the interviews to done in the private sections, so whoever wishes to initiate this, feel free to do so there.

Woodrow
01-04-2007, 01:38 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Far7an
I don't mind Woodrow being interviewed, in fact I think it's an awsome idea, but I don't like the idea of it being in the public forum.

Snakelegs, you could start with the female mods in the private section for sisters.
The private sections are the best places for these type interviews. For myself, there would be many questions I would not answer publicaly and virtualy everything I would say about myself publicaly, I have already said in various threads.

Plus, there are many brothers I would like to interview and I would never ask them publicaly.

snakelegs
01-04-2007, 04:20 AM
ok. i guess the consensus is that mods wouldn't feel comfortable except in the gender rooms.....
(sigh).

Tania
01-04-2007, 10:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
Mods are just bunch of boring robots. Who would want to interview them? :X
The civillians:) For those who don't have access to the private forums would be beneficial to find out more about the chiefs from here:-[
*The civillians term refers to members like sis Rooh pointed out in another thread.

Tania
01-04-2007, 10:57 AM
ok. i guess the consensus is that mods wouldn't feel comfortable except in the gender rooms.....
(sigh).
What about to create the thread like a tv show:? You will choose a mod, talk with him/her in private, establish the questions and after that make the online interview:) Who will say NOOO, would be skipped.:-[

Malaikah
01-04-2007, 11:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
The civillians:) For those who don't have access to the private forums would be beneficial to find out more about the chiefs from here:-[
Tania- just apply!:D

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Snakelegs do you have access to the mixed-female section? I thought you had to show your gender in your profile to be accepted.:)

Tania
01-04-2007, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm 'Abdullah
I thought you had to show your gender in your profile to be accepted.:)
I don't want to upset you but for you its easy peasy to select your gender when you have that cute little sister face. take a look what should snakelegs to choose - some circle thing. :blind:

glo
01-04-2007, 05:02 PM
How about these two:

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/dressed/bek117.gif - female, non-Muslim
http://www.websmileys.com/sm/dressed/bek120.gif - male, non-Muslim

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-04-2007, 05:19 PM
That just looks creepy. (joke)

Tania
01-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Sis Glo i don't know if we can take the smileys from the net because the copyright issue thing. Its one thing to use them ocasinally and another to use them daily - i think:-[ I liked the girl with her happy face.

glo
01-04-2007, 05:30 PM
It would be up to the mods to deal with copyright issues.
Incidentally, I found the Muslim brother and sister smileys on the same site I found the non-Muslim ones ... so presumably they are in the public domain too.

Personally, I like the female one better than the male one - but I chose those two because the style seems pretty much in keeping with the Muslim ones.

To be honest, I don't fully understand why we need separate gender icons for Muslims and non-Muslims at all. If we just use the internationally recognised symbols for all, or even just put 'male' or 'female', we don't need to bother with pictures at all.

Member's religion is mentioned elsewhere in the profile, so it shouldn't really need to be mentioned in the gender section.

Just some thoughts ...

skhalid
01-04-2007, 06:55 PM
It is a great idea...to hold an interview...but some people take advantage and then causes distractions...so it is later deleted!!!:skeleton:
But as long as people keep to the point and only say relevant information...there no harm in that :D

Tania
01-04-2007, 08:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
Just some thoughts ...
I think its fine how it is and sis Snakelegs wanted to interview the brother moderators too.:-[

Woodrow
01-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Have any of you noticed that if you click on any members name you can pull up all of the posts that person has made and that by reading those posts nearly every interview question will have been answered?

skhalid
01-04-2007, 09:55 PM
Actually...some people here I already know!!!
But others dnt want ppl to know them...coz dey feel a bit insecure...although as some already said...u can know what a person is like by the stuff they write on these threads.

skhalid
01-04-2007, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tania
I don't want to upset you but for you its easy peasy to select your gender when you have that cute little sister face. take a look what should snakelegs to choose - some circle thing. :blind:
wot are u tryin' 2 say?

Umm Yoosuf
01-05-2007, 02:19 PM
(sigh).

Pretty much yes :thumbs_up

snakelegs
01-06-2007, 07:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm 'Abdullah
Snakelegs do you have access to the mixed-female section? I thought you had to show your gender in your profile to be accepted.:)
sorry for the late reply - haven't been on line. no, i don't have access to the mixed female section.
tho most people already know my gender, in general i prefer not to give it on the internet. we are cyber critters, ethereal, genderless beings lost in time and space..... ;D
i think i need more coffee.

Pk_#2
01-06-2007, 07:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by glo
go onnnnn sis

lol

dey are way cooler, i wana do dem!! :D :-[:statisfie

snakelegs
01-06-2007, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
Pretty much yes :thumbs_up
well, i had proposed some Brilliant Ideas about how fitnah type issues could be avoided, but ok. remain shrouded in your mysterious cloaks, o moderators and administrators! see if i care! :)

Pk_#2
01-06-2007, 08:14 PM
MODDDDDDDDDS ADMINSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ATTENTION PLEASE!!

lol

sorry can't help it..

please can we have them smileys (the glo ones), the non-Muslims can use them, coz i mean what non Muslims wears a headscarf and grows a beard these days, okay maybe the odd few, but it will be really cool, and they are cute smileys, as Muslims we must care for our non-Muslims freinds too, and make them feel welcome in our forum,

so please! :)

Tc Peace :D

Malaikah
01-07-2007, 07:58 AM

^No, we can't sis, because the woman's awrah isn't covered and the guy shaved his beard! :eek:

;D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.