/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Verbs?

Jayda
01-04-2007, 05:50 PM
hola,

i am interested in learning arabic but i do not have time for classes... i bought books though... i am curious about verbs in arabic, how do they work? like in terms of conjugation and tenses...

gracias

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
umm-sulaim
01-04-2007, 06:08 PM
There are 10 scales in arabic that are used on a daily basis. However there are like over 200 scales...

I think that when you understand conjugation it makes arabic so much easier to understand

The past tense of the first scale is in three parts:

1.fa'ala 2. fa'ila 3. fa'ola

In the present tence fa'ala becomes one of three:

1. fa'ala - yaf'alo 2. fa'ala - yaf'ilo 3. fa'ala - yaf'olo

e.g 1. fa'ala yaf'alo means to do, another verb on this scale is dhahaba - yadhabo which means to go

2. fa'ala yaf'ilo like dharaba - yadhribo which means to hit

3. fa'ala yaf'olo like darasa - yadroso which means to study

I really recommend the Hans Wehr dictionary if you're learning conjugation :)

amirah_87
01-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Hi Jayda

MashaAllah Umm Sulaim gave you a pretty detailed explanation of the tens scales,

any other questions you'd like to ask go for it InshaAllah! :thumbs_up

mariam.
01-08-2007, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jayda
hola,

i am interested in learning arabic but i do not have time for classes... i bought books though... i am curious about verbs in arabic, how do they work? like in terms of conjugation and tenses...

gracias
hi jayda .. that's surprising!
I am curious too why you are interested in learning arabic?
I ask God to help you .. peace

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Jayda
01-08-2007, 08:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mariam.
hi jayda .. that's surprising!
I am curious too why you are interested in learning arabic?
I ask God to help you .. peace
hola mariam,

i grew up in a very ethnic family... and my grandmother used to tell me and my cousins stories about our family and where we came from, there is actually much arabian ancestry (because of the moorish conquest) that i have always felt uncomfortably out of touch with, now that i have my own children and i am telling them stories i think i want to maybe understand the shaded areas more... my husband is taking us to spain this summer to visit places, it will be beautiful!

Dios te bendiga

Jayda
01-08-2007, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
There are 10 scales in arabic that are used on a daily basis. However there are like over 200 scales...

I think that when you understand conjugation it makes arabic so much easier to understand

The past tense of the first scale is in three parts:

1.fa'ala 2. fa'ila 3. fa'ola

In the present tence fa'ala becomes one of three:

1. fa'ala - yaf'alo 2. fa'ala - yaf'ilo 3. fa'ala - yaf'olo

e.g 1. fa'ala yaf'alo means to do, another verb on this scale is dhahaba - yadhabo which means to go

2. fa'ala yaf'ilo like dharaba - yadhribo which means to hit

3. fa'ala yaf'olo like darasa - yadroso which means to study

I really recommend the Hans Wehr dictionary if you're learning conjugation :)

muchos gracias,

this is exactly what i needed to know! if i may ask, what is a scale? is this like in latin the different kind of verb ending clusters -are -ere and such?

Dios te bendiga

ژاله
01-15-2007, 08:59 AM
the linguists have made scales for verbs in arabic,probably for classifying dif verbs ,so that their learning becomes easier....
i hope someone will expand lol

Jayda
01-26-2007, 03:50 PM
gracias faizi,

does anybody else want to add anything to this?

Dios te bendiga...

ژاله
01-27-2007, 04:07 PM
hi jayda
well i found this
In Arabic verbs take their infinitive form by using the past form of that verb and conjugate it to the third person singular “he”, to make it simple here is an example: to draw = rasama = رسم (he drew), to write = kataba (he wrote) = كتب. daraba ضرب (to hit)…

Most verbs in Arabic have a three letters root or stem, there are also verbs containing more than three letters in their root (stem) but we will start with verbs shaving a three consonant stem, also called trilateral verbs, since the trilateral verbs (containing three consonant) are the most common.

In Arabic we use a “masdar” “source” to show how a verb is conjugated and what forms it takes, normally for a three letters verb we use:

fa’ala = فعل = to do (literally in Arabic it means “he did”), this verb is used as an example or model to help us know how to conjugate other verbs having the same characteristics.

We take for instance the verb: to draw = rasama = رسم as you can see it in Arabic it has only three consonant (R ر , S س, M م), this verb sounds exactly like our model verbs (fa’ala فعل) when it comes to its vowels, and that’s all we care about, ignore the similarity or difference in the consonants, what matters is the similarity in the vowels and the number of letters, because you will replace the consonant in our examples and put your own there, to make it more simple we will take a random word phonetically similar to our verb “fa’ala” “ lalala” sounds like “rasama” if you compare its vowels and the number of consonants, other examples are: dahaba ذهب (to go), haraba هرب(to run away), kataba كتب(to write), nasaha نصح(to advise), daraba ضرب (to hit), in fact most Arabic verbs are formed this way. They all seem to have the same tune.

Now to form the present tense with this kind of verbs, we first take our stem from the verb, in other words, extract all vowels from the verb, for example the verb to draw = rasama, once we extract all vowels we will end up having “rsm” , now this stem is ready to be modeled. Look at the table below:

Arabic Present tense:

To form the present tense in Arabic you need to extract the stem from the verb in the infinitive first, for example:

To draw = rasama رسم è Stem is rsm, now let’s look at the table below to see how this verb is conjugated in this tense:

Present Tense in Arabic

Singular
Dual
Plural

I draw = arsumu

you draw (singular masculine) = tarsumu

you draw (singular feminine) = tarsumeena

he draws = yarsumu

she draws = tarsumu

you draw (dual male or female) = tarsumani

they draw (dual male or female) = yarsumani

we draw = narsumu

you draw (plural masculine) = tarsumuna

your draw (plural feminine) = tarsumna

they draw (plural masculine) = yarsumuna

they draw (plural feminine) = yarsumna

Each form of the verb rasama above contains:

Blue font (that’s what you need to keep, the blue font shouldn’t be modified or removed from verb, it stays the same)

Red font (that’s what you need to delete and add your own consonant of the verb you chose to conjugate: kataba è ktb, haraba è hrb…)

Green font (you can keep that one too, but not all the time, sometimes it becomes “a” or “i” instead of “u” depending on the verb)

You may have noticed that the “rs” of the stem “rsm” are always together, that’s the case with all trilateral verbs (verbs with three consonants, which are the most frequently used verbs in Arabic) the first and second consonant go together, so you can use this table with other verbs as well by replacing the letters in red (the stem we used before) and put your own verb stem instead.

The vowel in green may change to “a” or “i” depending on the verb, like for example for the verb nasaha (to advise) instead of using the “u” in green we have to change it to “a” I advise = ansahu, you advise = tansahu…(and not ansuhu .. tansuhu) and so on… (Note that the stem here is “n.s.h” as we mentioned earlier), for the verb daraba (to hit) we use “i” instead, I hit = adribu, he hits = yadribu. (and not adrubu)…

In case you think that this is too complicated, I will tell you that it’s not something unusual, and if you’re a native or learned Spanish, French, German or even English before, you will notice that the vowels in the middle of some verbs sometimes don’t really follow the rule, Examples:

Spanish: yo hablo = I speak, if you follow this rule you would use yo dormo for the verb dormir, but instead Spanish is using yo duermo = I sleep

French: the verb “appeler” if you respect the French rules you may write: je m’appele = my name, but instead the correct form is “je m’appelle” with “ll”

German: the verb “sehen” to see, by following the general German rule we should write: he sees = er seht, but instead the correct form is er sieht.

English: simply take the verb “to go” I go, you go, he gos? Of course not, the right form is he goes as you know. All these examples are not considered irregularities but semi irregularities, which means that they’re modified only for phonetic and synthetic reasons).

If you don’t know how to extract the stem from a verb (even though it’s very easy) we will go through it now: by omitting all vowels from these verbs we will have: dhb = dahaba ذهب (to go), hrb = haraba هرب(to run away), ktb = kataba كتب(to write), nsh = nasaha نصح(to advise), drb = daraba ضرب (to hit). Easy!

Note that the second person singular masculine “you” is conjugated the same way the third person singular feminine “she” does. Tarsumu = you draw (singular masculine) and also means she draws.
:) :) :)
you can have more from:
www.speak7.com
peace.......

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.