/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Dead sea scrolls?

Pk_#2
01-06-2007, 01:09 PM
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi WAbrakatuh/Hello,

Can anybody tell me about them please :)

Jazakhala/thanks in advance :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
strider
01-06-2007, 01:11 PM
browse till your heart's content!

Pk_#2
01-06-2007, 01:29 PM
AsalamuAlaykumWarahmatullahiWabarakatuh,

jazakhala khair sis :wub: LOL

:D

brenton
01-06-2007, 02:39 PM
The DSS are a rough collection of several hundred pieces of pottery and esp. papyri with Hebrew writings on them. Many of them are scriptures from Tanakh (Hebrew Bible) in Hebrew, and a bit in Aramaic and Greek. Most of the in tact writings are are polemical writings from one (or probabaly more) communities who do not seem to be part of the mainstream Jerusalem community.
People used to think they were the Essenes, mentioned in the Gospels, but the consensus has failed and most scholars are moving toward a "library" theory of the DSS, something around the Jewish revolution that led to the crushing of Jerusalem and desecration of the temple in 70CE/552BH.
Google the Open Scrolls Project and you can read some of them.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pk_#2
01-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Hello,

where are they now?

Do they exist?

And thanks :)

brenton
01-06-2007, 05:56 PM
They are in diff museums in Jerusalem, the US, Egypt, France, Britain and Russia (I think). What we have is probably (based on broken pots) only a portion of what was there. Most of the plate copies are available online.

Pk_#2
01-06-2007, 07:52 PM
Cool,

Thanks for info!,

Currently i'm reading a book called 'The mysteries of Jesus' by Ruqaiyyah Waris Maqsood, it's good you should read it!, in the book there are pictures of where the dead sea scrolls were discovered, aparently in a place called Qumran, i think it's a cave actually,

Anyway thanks again :)

brenton
01-06-2007, 09:40 PM
I've been there to Qumran. Very hot and dusty.

The Dead Sea Scrolls don't mention Jesus. There are seven broken Greek manuscript with a few letters that might be from the book of Mark (or pre-Mark)--about a 5% chance.
A number of the writings are from a Jewish cult, but not the Jesus movement.

Sabbir_1
01-07-2007, 12:05 AM
http://downloads1.nadeemdownloads.co...t%28saw%29.wma

Pk_#2
01-07-2007, 12:10 AM
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

jazakhala khair bro :)

Pk_#2
01-07-2007, 12:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by brenton
I've been there to Qumran. Very hot and dusty.

The Dead Sea Scrolls don't mention Jesus. There are seven broken Greek manuscript with a few letters that might be from the book of Mark (or pre-Mark)--about a 5% chance.
A number of the writings are from a Jewish cult, but not the Jesus movement.
Hello :)

Seen, so where is Qumran bro, sorry i never heard of that place before!

The book of Mark? is that a Gospel?

Peace!

brenton
01-07-2007, 01:47 PM
Mark is one of the four Gospels recoqnized by most Christians today.

Qumran is in the desert south of Jerusalem, just south east of the Dead Sea (it's why they are called the Dead Sea Scrolls). There are little caves all over the mountains there, and they've found a few caves with good finds.

The first find was by a Bedouin boy who was throwing rocks and broke a pot. He took the scrolls out and sold them. Eventually they were in black market doc trade until someone realized what they were. It was a priceless find.

Pk_#2
01-07-2007, 03:16 PM
Hello again :)

Oh that's well cool :D

Thanks!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.