/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Thikr beads Al-Imaam Al-Albaanee (rahimahullaah) discussion

Umm Yoosuf
01-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Al-Imaam Al-Albaanee (rahimahullaah) discusses Thikr beads

The Ruling of Al-Misbahah (Thikr beads)

Ash-Shaikh Muhammad Naasir ud-Deen Al-Albaanee said in As-Silsilah Adh-Dha’eefah (1/110) with his checking of the hadeeth “What a wonderful reminder the subhah (thikr beads) are.” (A fabricated hadeeth):
Then, verily the hadeeth, in reference to its meaning, is false according to me for reasons:

The first: That the subhah (thikr beads) is an innovation that did not exist in the time of the Prophet (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam). It was only introduced after him (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam), so how could it be thought that he encouraged his companions to do a matter that they did not even know (i.e. thikr beads were not known to them)? And the proof regarding what I have mentioned is what Ibn Wadhdhaah reported in “Al-Bida’ wan-Nahy ‘anhaa” (Innovations and the Prohibition of them), on the authority of As-Salt bin Bahraam that he said, “Ibn Mas’ood passed by a woman who had a tasbeeh (string of beads) with her that she was using to glorify Allaah, so he cut it and threw it away. Then he passed by a man who was glorifying Allaah using pebbles so he kicked them with his foot, then said, ‘Indeed you all have went ahead (of the companions), you have wrongfully engaged in an innovation, and indeed you have overcome the companions of Muhammad (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) in knowledge.’” And the chain of narrators of this narration is authentic (Saheeh) back to As-Salt, and he is reliable from the followers of the successors (Atbaa’ ut-Taabi’een, third generation).
The second: That it opposes his (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) guidance. ‘Abdullaah bin ‘Amr said, “I saw the Messenger of Allaah (sallallaahu ‘alayhi wa sallam) counting the glorification of Allaah with his right hand.”

And Al-Albaanee also said (1/117): And if there was nothing in the thikr beads other than one evil, and it is that it has overcome the Sunnah of counting with the fingers or it almost has – this is along with their agreement that the fingers are better – then this would be sufficient (as an evil). For verily it is rare that I see an old man counting the glorification of Allaah on his fingers!

Then, verily the people have become specialized in inventing things along with this innovation. So you will see some of those who attribute themselves to one of the Soofee paths hanging thikr beads around his neck! And some of them count (the remembrance of Allaah) while they are speaking to you or listening to you talk! And the last thing that my eye fell upon from that some days ago was that I saw a man on an ordinary bicycle riding along on it on some roads crowded with people, and in one of his hands was some thikr beads! So they try to show to the people that they are not heedless of the remembrance of Allaah even for the blinking of an eye. And often times this innovation is the cause of losing the performance of that which is obligatory, for indeed it has happened to me repeatedly – and likewise to others besides me – that I have given the greeting of Salaam (peace) to one of these people, so he responds to the greeting by waving without saying the Salaam. And the harms of this innovation cannot be counted, so how beautiful is the statement of the poet:

“And every good is in following those who went before (salafa),
and every evil is in the innovating of those who came after (khalafa).”

Source: As-Silsilah Adh-Dha’eefah, Vol. 1, no. 110, and no. 117
http://www.alalbany.net/misc/misc002.php

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cool_jannah
01-12-2007, 04:52 PM
what is the definition of bida'a?

amirah_87
01-12-2007, 05:23 PM
As Salaamu ALaykum,

Beneficial post Mu'minah!! :thumbs_up

what is the definition of bida'a?
Read Here InshaAllah

Hope that Helps!

^..sTr!vEr..^
01-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Salam..
ur article is nice but i dun agree wid this--->

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
amirah_87
01-13-2007, 02:25 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum,

ur article is nice but i dun agree wid this

Its a famous poem by one of the Ulamaah,

which part don't you agree with sis? :)

I think it's a great sayin' and i like this poem, its arabic version goes:

كل خير في اتباع من سلف ***وكل شر ابتداع من خلف

It's saying that :
Good is in following those who were before us (the sahaabah and the taa'bi'iyyeen)

And that which is evil is Following the Innovations of those who came after.

snakelegs
01-14-2007, 08:58 AM
interesting post, moujahid.
i think the subject of bid'ah is very controversial.

Malaikah
01-14-2007, 09:13 AM
:sl:

We? I'm sorry but who in this thread is jumping around and is in need of calming their "young over-enthusiastic blood"?:?

There is no need to be so defensive. Some scholars say it is bid'ah, while others do not.

You do not have to agree that it is bid'ah, but you should respect that there are many scholars out there who (rightly ) believe it is.

We define bid'ah as:

Linguistically bid'ah (innovation) means 'a newly invented matter'. The Sharee'ah definition of bid'ah is: "A newly invented way [beliefs or action] in the religion, in imitation of the Sharee'ah (prescribed Law), by which nearness to Allaah is sought, [but] not being supported by any authentic proof - neither in its foundations, nor in the manner in which it is performed." Al-I'tisaam of ash-Shaatibee (1/37).

I notice you haven't defined it yourself? Do you disagree with this definition and if so, why?

:thumbs_up

Malaikah
01-15-2007, 11:35 AM
This is obviously a case in which there is a difference of opinion, and is SO trivial it isn't really worth debating about. I'll just stick to the safe side and not use one... never used them anyway.

MinAhlilHadeeth
01-15-2007, 12:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
I'll just stick to the safe side and not use one... never used them anyway.
:salamext:

I think this would be the wisest decision!

Personally I don't like prayer beads because they can easily lead to riyaa, if used in public. Which I have seen many do. And wouldn't it be better to use the hands that Allah Ta'ala blessed us with?

Bid'a is something very dangerous, so it is advised to stay far away from matters such as these. After all, we should replace that which is not doubtful with that which is not doubtful. In this case, just use your hands for dhikr.

:wasalamex

Umm Yoosuf
01-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Assalaamu aliakum

I posted this thread so people can take benefit not play fatwa bashing. Either take it or leave it but do not CRITICISE righteous ‘ulimah because your desire does not fit with their fatwah.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.