/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wearing rings??

*noor
01-22-2007, 02:10 AM
assalaamu alaikum

I was just reading this really long and interesting piece of literature called "Aadaab of Wearing and Decorating yourself." As I was reading it, I came across the issue of rings. Here is what it says regarding wearing rings:

14 - IT IS RECOMMENDED FOR MEN TO WEAR RINGS

- As long as it is not gold
- Wear on either/both the two small fingers

Anas reported: “The Prophet (saw) made for himself, and we used to take rings for ourselves, with engravings. And we used to see it bright on his small finger. And the Prophet (saw) said, “do not wear the ring on the middle finger or the index finger.” Bukhari 5874, Muslim 2092, Musnad Imam Ahmad 12309, Tirmizi 2718

Imam ‘Ali: “The Prophet (saw) forbade me to put rings on my index and middle finger …” Muslim 2078, Abu Dawood 4225

The Fuqaha of the salaf have Ijma’ (consensus) that it is recommended to wear the ring on the right hand little finger. And permissible to wear on other fingers, on the right and left hand. And it is Haram to wear on the thumb or the index or middle fingers.

My question is does that apply for women as well, or just men?

here's the link for the whole article: http://www.islamicnetwork.com/index....ting_yourself/

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umar001
01-22-2007, 02:12 AM
Just for the record, I thought the Prophet, peace be upon him, only wore it as a seal, I mean there was no other need for it?

Al_Imaan
01-22-2007, 02:16 AM
^^i guess people think there is a need for it today.....would the ring finger be ok?.... were rings exchanged at weddings in the time of the prophet? sorry if that's off topic...

*noor
01-22-2007, 02:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Just for the record, I thought the Prophet, peace be upon him, only wore it as a seal, I mean there was no other need for it?
sorry brother i don't know about that.....i was just wondering if the guidelines for women wearing rings was the same as men or different?? and if different what are the differences?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
*noor
01-22-2007, 02:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al_imaan_786
^^i guess people think there is a need for it today......would the ring finger be ok?.... ...were rings exchanged at weddings in the time of the prophet? sorry if that's off topic...
well here it says the two small fingers, implying the pinky and the ringer, what i'm wondering is if it is the same for women..............i have rings on my ringer and middle fingers on both hands and on one pinky so i'm wondering?:?

Umar001
01-22-2007, 02:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *noor
sorry brother i don't know about that.....i was just wondering if the guidelines for women wearing rings was the same as men or different?? and if different what are the differences?
Interesting question. Sorry for going off topic.

Peep this,

Question:

I wanted to Insha Allah ask you a question in reference to the wearing of rings for the Sisters. It was said that wearing a ring on the index finger or thumb is imitating the Kufr Insha Allh may you be able to clarify this for us

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Women can wear rings on any finger. Imaam al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Muslims are agreed that the Sunnah is for men to wear rings on their little fingers, but as for women, they may wear rings on all their fingers.” (Sharh al-Nawawi ‘ala Muslim; ‘Awn al-Ma’bood, 11/286). And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=2482&ln=eng

*noor
01-22-2007, 02:24 AM
Interesting question. Sorry for going off topic.
well that might as well be discussed in this thread since the name of the thread is wearing rings.......its a matter of someone finding clearer evidence about the matters and a thorough explanation.

lets just wait for someone who might be more knowledgeable in that area inshaAllah.

Al_Imaan
01-22-2007, 02:38 AM
well that might as well be discussed in this thread since the name of the thread is wearing rings.......its a matter of someone finding clearer evidence about the matters and a thorough explanation.

lets just wait for someone who might be more knowledgeable in that area inshaAllah.
i agree that we should wait but what i really meant is that in weddings when rings r exchanged...both the bride and groom put it on their ring finger, would that be haram?

*noor
01-22-2007, 02:42 AM
[B]

Question:

I wanted to Insha Allah ask you a question in reference to the wearing of rings for the Sisters. It was said that wearing a ring on the index finger or thumb is imitating the Kufr Insha Allh may you be able to clarify this for us

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Women can wear rings on any finger. Imaam al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “The Muslims are agreed that the Sunnah is for men to wear rings on their little fingers, but as for women, they may wear rings on all their fingers.” (Sharh al-Nawawi ‘ala Muslim; ‘Awn al-Ma’bood, 11/286). And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=2482&ln=eng

jazakallah brother.......do you know if this sheikh follows a specific madhhab?

Al_Imaan
01-22-2007, 03:39 AM
If the necklace is made of gold or is in any way feminine, then it is unlawful for a man to wear it. Men are not allowed to copy women in their dress and customs. It is unlawful for a man to wear rings or a necklace, even if it is not made of gold, if such jewelry is construed by the culture in which he lives to be a mode of dress for women worn especially by women. It is unlawful to emulate women. In an authentic hadîth, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Allah cursed men who emulate women and women who emulate men.”
http://islamtoday.com/show_detail_se...&main_cat_id=4
this states the wearing rings is haram....it doesnt even mention wearing it on the pinky...

Umar001
01-22-2007, 10:25 AM
jazakallah brother.......do you know if this sheikh follows a specific madhhab?
From what I understand he studied under Uthaymeen, but here are some QaA which should give you an insight insha'Allah,

Question:

Very often I am asked by some of our brothers who come to the Kingdom as foreign workers about what my madhhab (school of thought) is – am I a Hanbali or a Shaafa’i, etc.? In fact I am completely ignorant about this matter, and it is sufficient for me to be a Muslim; if I have a problem with regard to some religious matter, I ask the scholars. What is your opinion?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

It is sufficient for you to be a Muslim who follows the sharee’ah. With regard to Hanbali or Shaafa’i madhhabs, you do not have to restrict yourself to that. Those (four) scholars have a high status that is well known throughout this Ummah; their words were written down and followed by their companions and followers, and became madhhabs that were recognized and known, even though they were agreed on matters of belief and Tawheed. They were also close to one another on minor issues, but it so happened that one of them might be unaware of some evidence (daleel) or its correct interpretation, so he made ijtihaad and issued fatwaas based on his ijtihaad. They did not oblige others to adhere to what they said, but most of those followers adopted sectarian attitudes and restricted themselves to the views of those imaams even if they went against the daleel. They went to great length to interpret the texts in such a manner as to make them agree with what they thought. On this basis, we advise the “rank and file” to call themselves Muslims and to refer problematic issues to respectable scholars and to consult the works of scholars who are known for their sincere devotion to Islam and the Muslims. And Allaah knows best.

al-Lu’lu’ al-Makeen min Fataawaa Ibn Jibreen, p. 30

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=1059&ln=eng

Question:
people believ 4 imam
my confusion is which one is right path and about (Jamat-al-muslimeen)

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Allaah has made our worship based on His Book and the Sunnah of His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The right way is to understand the texts of sharee’ah as they were understood by the Companions of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and their followers among the scholars who are qualified and prominent mujtahids. This includes the imaams whose sincerity, fairness and leadership in religion, knowledge, virtue, goodness and righteousness is a matter of record. The four imaams and founders of the schools of Islamic fiqh (Imaam Abu Haneefah, Imaam Maalik, Imaam al-Shaafa’i and Imaam Ahmad) – may Allaah have mercy on them all – all followed the texts of the Sharee’ah and their efforts were all focused on teaching and spreading sound Islamic knowledge. All of them were on the right path, and all were devoted followers of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). If mistakes happened, then the Sahaabah made mistakes too. The things to be followed in Sharee’ah are those for which evidence (daleel) is established. In some cases, some scholars may not have known of daleel whilst others did, but this does not mean that their knowledge and ability is to be discredited. All of them were seeking to find and propagate the truth. If a person wants to follow one of the Imaams and adopt his madhhab, then he should follow him in matters for which there is clear, sound daleel, for this is what is required in Islam, but he should not develop partisan or sectarian feelings towards anybody. It is not permissible for the Muslim to believe that he has to follow anybody in all that he says except the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

The person who is suitably qualified can examine what the scholars said and see what is supported by sound daleel. The “rank and file” Muslim who does not know how to examine the evidence and weigh it up should follow a scholar whose religious commitment and knowledge he trusts, and act according to his fatwas. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=5523&ln=eng

Emphasis Mine

Question:

Out of our four Maslaks which is the most accurate Maslak which follows the Quran & Authentic Traditions of Prophet Mohammed (SAW), and also let me know about the prominent books of that Maslak. I'll be highly obliged if you'll guide me to follow the right path of Islam.
Thanking you, yours brother in Islam.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

So long as a Muslim is following the correct evidence (daleel) and has the desire to follow the Sunnah properly, there is no harm in following any of the Imams when it comes to rules of fiqh. In the case of the ordinary Muslim (who is not educated in fiqh), his madhhab (school of thought) is that of the mufti whose knowledge he trusts. But problems of the worst type occur when people become fanatically devoted to one particular imam or madhhab, to the extent that they reject the truth or ignore other sound evidence because of this.

Allaah warns against rejecting the word of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) (interpretation of the meaning): “… And let those who oppose the Messenger’s commandment (i.e., his Sunnah) (among the sects) beware, lest some fitnah (disbelief, trials, afflictions, etc.) befall them or a painful torment be inflicted on them.” [al-Noor 24:63]

And Allaah is the source of strength.

Islam Q&A

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=2130&ln=eng

Emphasis Mine

I think this will be the final, it is rather long, so I will leave the question out, for the question visit the link I will provide at the end,

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

What is obligatory is to follow that which is indicated by the evidence (daleel) of the Qur’aan and Sunnah, even if it differs from what the madhhab says. But it is essential to understand the Qur’aan and Sunnah as they were understood by the Salaf, and not only by our understanding of them. What is meant by the Salaf is the Sahaabah and the Taabi’een.

Concerning the example which you gave, touching a woman does not break wudoo’ at all, whether it is done with desire or not – because of the hadeeth that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) kissed one of his wives and then went out to pray, and he did not repeat his wudoo’. But if a man emits something (madhiy) because of desire, then he has to do wudoo’ – not because of the act of touching, but because something came out from him.

With regard to the aayah (interpretation of the meaning): “…or you have been in contact with [lit. touched] women…” [al-Maa’idah 5:6] – this is referring to sexual intercourse, according to the correct view.

2- There is no need to move from one madhhab to another. The obligatory duties of hajj should be performed as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) performed them, because he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Take your rituals from me.”

The correct view concerning Qunoot in Fajr prayer is that it is Sunnah at times of calamity only, i.e., if a disaster has befallen the Muslims or some of them, then it is mustahabb to do Qunoot and to pray to Allaah to grant them relief. But under normal circumstances, the correct view is that this is not mustahabb, and this is what the daleel (evidence) refers to. So whoever does not do Qunoot, his prayer is still valid, even according to the Shaafa’is, may Allaah have mercy on them.

And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A

http://islamqa.com/index.php?ref=5459&ln=eng

*noor
01-24-2007, 12:19 AM
I couldn't help but bump this thread.

sojourner
02-05-2007, 06:24 PM
So, if i were to convert to Islam, one of the first things i should do is stop wearing my gold wedding band...correct?

IbnAbdulHakim
02-05-2007, 06:26 PM
jazakAllaah khair, i think i might start wearing rings :D

:salamext:

Umm Yoosuf
02-05-2007, 07:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sojourner
So, if i were to convert to Islam, one of the first things i should do is stop wearing my gold wedding band...correct?
No it would be to start praying. When your iman grows you'd be able to do other things.

sojourner
02-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Understand...that is why i said "one of the first things" and not the first thing. Thanks for the input.

syilla
01-04-2008, 07:02 AM
*bump

☆•♥°ąყ℮Տիმ°♥•☆
01-04-2008, 09:37 AM
intresting thread
i knew a man could not wear gold... but i am unclear of the reasons why, if anyone could kindly explain to me i would be very gratefull... and is there any other limitations on any type of jewelry men or women can not wear?

------
01-04-2008, 12:12 PM
:salamext:

Ruling on men wearing white gold

Question: Dear Sheikh, I would like to know if Muslim men are permitted to wear golden rings, chains and so on. What about watches plated with gold and other similar objects? Answer

As for men, it is a sign of instability and an un-masculine nature to adorn oneself with gold. Islam wants the differences between the sexes to be clearly defined, and their distinctive characteristics to stand out, because when they resemble each another, a great deal of corruption results therefrom.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.