/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help with university physics!!!

PSmuslim
01-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Assalaamualaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu,

I'm sorry this is not about islam. But I really need help with the university physics. I'm just first-year student but I'm really lost with physics and mathematics. The first half year I didn't have any motivation because I was doing high school at the same time and now I don't understand anything and I can't concentrate in the lessons and so on.. only I do there is copying everything the professor writes.

Now I would have motivation.. but I don't know how to start studying. I should make the exercises that comes now.. but I can't concentrate.. So I'm asking is there anyone who could tutor me.. just give some advice because this is something I really like to do for the sake of ummah insha Allah.. and of course for the sake of me. The courses that I've had are from linear algebra, mechanics, basic methods of mathematics.. and now I have analysis, algebra and complex analysis.

I promise to work hard if anyone would help me.. insha Allah. I don't have anything to give back.. only I could do is teaching Finnish maybe.. but I don't believe it's very practical language.

Thank you very much!! May Allah reward you!!

Maassalaam!!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
01-24-2007, 09:19 AM
salams bro/sis

Mechanics is probably the only area of physics i can help you with.. well.. i can offer advise atleast.

For Mech adn Math.. i can send you my lecture notes, personally i think they rock (they're all powerpoint presentations)...

also are you looking for useful supplementary textbooks? There's a few i recommend...

for mechanics i think Meriam and Kraige's books "Engineering Mechanics, Statics" as well as the book "Engineering Mechanics, Dynamics" are reeeally really erally good.

also 'Giancoli' ... is kinda good in giving a very very very basic introduction... it touches on some aspects of mechanics but doesn't go beyond 2D problems. It's excellent in the way it explains.. but it doens't go 'hard core'.

Perhaps you coudl tell us exaclty what topics in Mechanics you need help in.

I'll write up seperate post about math..

lolwatever
01-24-2007, 09:26 AM
as for math..

I seriously recommend two books

Elementary Linear Algebra , by Anton and Rorres

as well as

Calculus: Early Transcendentals , by Anton, Bivens and Davis
(v v thick book)

The first one deals with linear stuff...
Matrices and Determinants,
Vectors
Linear Equations.

where as the second one covers

Functions of one/several Variables,
Integration (including improper integration)
Differential Equations (1st, 2nd and Higher order Differential Equations)
Taylor Polynomials
Sequence and Series (including limits)
Series Approximations (Power and Taylor Series)
Applications of Differentail Calculus Problems.

Both are very very very good in the way they explain, and have tonnnnenssssss of problems with answers to every second one.

as for complex numbers... it's not covered, but i have a book in pdf form that has a gerat intro to complex numbers, as well as my lecture notes which cover it really well.

Take care all the ebst :)

shible
01-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Assalamu alaikkum(warah).

I shall try to browse and provide you some links that might help you with the subjects

http://linear.ups.edu/download.html

for more precise look check this link

http://linear.ups.edu/download/fcla-electric-1.01.pdf

A few links on complex analysis

http://www.ima.umn.edu/~arnold/502.s97/complex.pdf

http://www.engineering.uiowa.edu/~cm...plex_notes.pdf

Now on Algebra

http://www.stewartcalculus.com/data/...wofalgebra.pdf

http://www.stewartcalculus.com/data/...ebraReview.pdf

links on mechanics

1. Classical mechanicshttp://www.astrophysik.uni-kiel.de/~...anics_pdf.html

Insha Allah i shall try to find more link in case if i could so

Assalamu alaikkum(warah)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
PSmuslim
01-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Wa alaikummussalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu,

Thank you very very much! Exactly, my main problem is the lack of concentration.. and it's because when I start reading the books (I really have to start from the beginning) and I know how much I should learn, it's like you're climbing the mountain without the top. And then doing exercises.. it takes much more time and requires more concentration.. I don't have any friend to talk about physics or maths and every time I hear someone explaining something about maths to his/her friend, I have the inner panick...

I'm not complaining now.. that's just how it is. I try to look for your books and links, insha Allah, it's really helpful that there are some people here who study physics and maths and give friendly the answers to the questions, alhamdulillah. I hope it's not too late to catch up the others, insha Allah...

JazakAllahun khayran!!

PSmuslim
01-24-2007, 03:08 PM
And thank you bro's.. any help is welcomed please.. my email is aerogeeli@hotmail.com --

lolwatever
01-24-2007, 07:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PSmuslim
Wa alaikummussalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatu,

Thank you very very much! Exactly, my main problem is the lack of concentration.. and it's because when I start reading the books (I really have to start from the beginning) and I know how much I should learn, it's like you're climbing the mountain without the top. And then doing exercises.. it takes much more time and requires more concentration.. I don't have any friend to talk about physics or maths and every time I hear someone explaining something about maths to his/her friend, I have the inner panick...
salams bro :)
There's a few stuff that could cause this,

1. Perhaps you feel that you'll never get to the end.

It kinda does feel that way sometimes, but i always think to myself "hangon, but if i do study, atleast i'll cover ground and eventually get there, if i don't i'll just get worse". Remember, everything you do, counts!

2. Perhaps you're not as motivated to do your course as you think you are.

Great advise i get is think of exactly where you want to get to in terms of career, that way you'll be working towards a definite aim, rather than aiming to get a degree (which some people find pointless.. even tho personally that's a neat challenge in itself..)

3. Friends aren't the be all end all.

Trust me i know people who are pretty "friendless" in the sense that they're freinds don't do same course/subjects as them, yet they're good. Coz i can guarentee you everything can be done individually..

you just need to make sure you take advantage of all your classes/tutors/libraries. Research and do exercises, and you'll most likely be better than someone who piggy backs on friends understandings.....

I'm not complaining now.. that's just how it is. I try to look for your books and links, insha Allah, it's really helpful that there are some people here who study physics and maths and give friendly the answers to the questions, alhamdulillah. I hope it's not too late to catch up the others, insha Allah...

JazakAllahun khayran!!
It's never too late.. just don't leave it till any later, otherwise you'll lose out.

Are there any personal issues that hinder you? If yes... i recommend you try get to the bottom of them asap inshalah coz thatll clear your thoughts by 380% lol.

All the best bro!

tc :w: :D

PSmuslim
01-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Wa alaikummussalam,

Thank you very much..

Yes, yesterday I started to ignore every things that can ruin my concentration, alhamdulillah. I try now my best insha Allah ;). Thank you, it was really helpful to have the answers and to write somewhere about this issue.

:)

lolwatever
01-25-2007, 10:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by PSmuslim
Wa alaikummussalam,

Thank you very much..

Yes, yesterday I started to ignore every things that can ruin my concentration, alhamdulillah. I try now my best insha Allah ;). Thank you, it was really helpful to have the answers and to write somewhere about this issue.

:)
salams bro

i'm real happy to have been of some help :) also if you have issues that trouble you and you prefer to remain anonymous, feel free to use the cyber counselling thread and we'll be at your service :) - just remember to tick the 'anonymous' box when you post there.

also its a good approach you took, by the way, personally i study in 6 hour blocks and then take big break... rahter than trying to take breaks in between my study... coz that kinda stuffs up my concentration...

but see wat works best 4 u inshalah :)

ws wr wb :D

sevgi
01-25-2007, 10:27 AM
LOLWATEVA'S IN HEAVEN IN HERE...:p

lolwatever
01-25-2007, 10:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by sumeyye
LOLWATEVA'S IN HEAVEN IN HERE...:p
innit :D

*This dunya's one i guess :hiding: *

shible
01-25-2007, 10:52 AM
Assalamu alaikkum (warah),

Happy to hear it from you bro acoording to our bro's thought you could help yourself through cyber counselling

hope to hear good results from your academics part bro

salaam

lolwatever
01-25-2007, 11:05 AM
hope to hear good results from your academics part bro
me too!
inshalah u do well :)

salams

PSmuslim
01-25-2007, 04:43 PM
JazakAllahun khayran,

If it's okay, i'll come here to cry if I have some kind of problem with studies :) insha Allah. I try my best insha Allah :).

BTW, though i was thinking to hide my gender.. i'm not bro.. :) but thank you.. i was going to let you think i'm bro but i believe it's not okay in every situations.

shible
01-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Assalamu alaikkum (warah)

The word Bro really doesn't mean to identify the gender here

I used the word Bro since it gives us more convenient and easy thought in our mind.

It doesn't matter who turns out but i shall help them in all means since i too have brothers and sisters

so i too can understand some of their thoughts.

Assalamu alaikkum (warah)

MH-UK
01-25-2007, 10:25 PM
:sl:

Subhan'Allah, lolwatever provided some good stuff there.

Jazak'Allahu khayr

PSmuslim
01-26-2007, 08:11 AM
Wa alaikummussalam wr wb,

right,

it's just that in Finland people are so exact about gender.. if you don't know the gender, you use the neutral form (there is the neutral form even for brothers and sisters) so.. i may be too used to it. Your help were really great though, thank you still once

Maassalaam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.