/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women cutting their Hair

Jannah4Eva
07-10-2005, 09:59 PM
In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

In general, the major classical Hanafi Fiqh books prohibit the cutting of hair for women. This is also affirmed by many Indian Subcontinent scholars. However, some scholars of the Arab world have permitted it conditionally.

In a Hadith, “the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) forbade women from shaving their hair.” (Sunan Tirmidhi, 2/246 & Sunan Nasa’i, 5/407)

Imam al-Haskafi (Allah have mercy on him) mentions in his famous book in Hanafi Fiqh:

“If a woman cuts her hair, she will be sinful and cursed. In al-Bazzaziyya it is added: “Even with the permission of the husband, as there is no obedience to the creation in disobeying the Creator.” (See: Radd al-Muhtar with the Durr of al-Haskafi, kitab al-hazr wal-ibaha, 5/261)

The main two reasons given by scholars for the impermissibility of women cutting their hair are:

a) Imitation of the Kuffar (non-Muslims),

b) Imitation of men,

Both of which have been clearly prohibited in Shariah.

In the Hadith recorded by Imam Abu Dawud in his ‘Sunan’ and others, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Whosoever imitates a group is amongst them.” (Sunan Abu Dawud, no. 4031)

Regarding the imitation of men, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) cursed those men who imitate women and those women who imitate men.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, 7/205)

For the above two reasons, the jurists (fuqaha) have generally prohibited the cutting of hair for women. It is for the reason of imitating men; they considered such women to be cursed, as in the Hadith women who imitate men are cursed by the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace)

In view of the above, it would generally not be permitted for women to cut their hair. To imitate the styles of the Kuffar and non-Muslim women is not permissible. The hair cuts prevalent among many modern women have a clear resemblance with the styles of non-Muslim women, thus it will be unlawful.

Similarly, to shorten the hair in a way that it resembles the hair of men is also prohibited. If a woman does so, she will earn the curse of the blessed Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace)

However, if a woman trims her hair slightly in a way that she did not contravene any of the above two reasons, then this would be (and Allah knows best) permitted. In other words, there are two conditions for this permissibility, and they both should be understood properly, and not misused or taken out of context:

1) There should be no imitation of non-Muslim Women,

The hairstyles adopted by kuffar and non-Muslim women, such as flicks, perms, fringes, etc… will not be allowed. Cutting the hair from the front will also be impermissible.

2) There should be no imitation of men

Cutting the hair in any way that resembles the hair of men is unlawful (haram), as mentioned previously. Therefore, if a woman cuts her hair from the lower end slightly in order to equate the level of the hairs, then this will be permissible.

It should be noted that, if the hair is cut, then it should be well below the shoulders, and this permissibility is only to cut it slightly. If the woman is married, then this should be done with the consent of her husband.

Finally, it should be remembered that it is better for a woman to not cut her hair altogether, unless there is some genuine reason. In the early times, a woman’s beauty was considered in the length of her hair, and not in looking like a man.

In conclusion, generally it is not permissible for a woman to cut her hair. However, if the hair is cut in the manner outlined above, it would be permissible, although better to avoid.

And Allah knows best

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Bittersteel
07-10-2005, 10:22 PM
using a shampoo or a conditioner forbidden?

Ummah
07-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Asalaamualaikum

ive got layers in my hair....majority of it is below the shoulders.

anyway i found this on islam-qa

What is the ruling on the haircut which some women have where they cut the hair over their foreheads and have strands of hair hanging over it [i.e., bangs or a fringe]?

Answer :

Praise be to Allaah.

If the intention behind this is to imitate kaafir and atheist women, then it is haraam because imitating non-Muslims is haraam. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.” But if the intention is not to imitate non-Muslims, rather it is one of the new customs among women, then if it is something that is counted as adornment with which she may adorn herself for her husband and appear with in front of her relatives in a way that will make her look better to them, then we do not see anything wrong with it.
Source - http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=13248&dgn=4

and.....

1 – the ruling on cutting women’s hair. Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

We do not know anything (to disallow) cutting women’s hair. What is forbidden is shaving it. You should not shave your hair but you may cut it and reduce its length or volume; we know of nothing wrong with that. But that should be done in a proper manner which will please you and your husband. You should come to some agreement with him on a kind of haircut that does not resemble kaafir women, because if you leave it long, it will be a lot of trouble to wash it and comb it. So if the hair is very long or thick, and the woman cuts it to reduce its length or volume, that doesn’t matter. Cutting some of it will make it more beautiful, which will please both the woman and her husband. So we do not know of any reason to disallow that. But shaving it altogether is not permissible, except in the case of sickness. And Allaah is the Source of strength.
See Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, part 2, p. 515
It was narrated in Saheeh Muslim that Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan said: “The wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to cut their hair until it came just below their ears.” (al-Hayd, 320)

Al-Nawawi said: this indicates that it is permissible for women to cut their hair short.

But women should avoid resembling kaafir women or immoral women when they cut their hair

Shaykh Saalih al-Fawzaan said:

It is not permissible for a woman to cut her hair short in the back and leave the sides longer, because this involves disfiguring and fooling about with her hair which is part of her beauty, and it also involves imitating the kaafir women. This prohibition also applies to haircuts which are named after kaafir women or animals, like the “Diana” cut, named after a kaafir women, or the “lion” cut or “mouse” cut, because it is haraam to imitate the kaafirs or to imitate animals, and because that involves fooling about with a woman’s hair which is part of her beauty.

Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 2/516,517
source - http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=13744&dgn=4

Ma'salaama

Pinkrose
07-10-2005, 10:41 PM
:sl:

So we are not allowed to cut our hair!!? :'(
We can trim it and that's it!! :omg:

Well thanx for sharing that with us sis!! :D
Jazaakalah!! :thumbs_up

:w: :wilted_ro

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
hafizyunus
08-09-2006, 12:17 AM
What is the ruling regarding cutting the hair for women? If it is allowed, then how short can she cut it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,

In general, the major classical Hanafi Fiqh books prohibit the cutting of hair for women. This is also affirmed by many Indian Subcontinent scholars. However, some scholars of the Arab world have permitted it conditionally.

In a Hadith, “the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) forbade women from shaving their hair.” (Sunan Tirmidhi, 2/246 & Sunan Nasa’i, 5/407)

Imam al-Haskafi (Allah have mercy on him) mentions in his famous book in Hanafi Fiqh:

“If a woman cuts her hair, she will be sinful and cursed. In al-Bazzaziyya it is added: “Even with the permission of the husband, as there is no obedience to the creation in disobeying the Creator.” (See: Radd al-Muhtar with the Durr of al-Haskafi, kitab al-hazr wal-ibaha, 5/261)

The main two reasons given by scholars for the impermissibility of women cutting their hair are:

a) Imitation of the Kuffar (non-Muslims),

b) Imitation of men,

Both of which have been clearly prohibited in Shariah.

In the Hadith recorded by Imam Abu Dawud in his ‘Sunan’ and others, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: “Whosoever imitates a group is amongst them.” (Sunan Abu Dawud, no. 4031)

Regarding the imitation of men, the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) cursed those men who imitate women and those women who imitate men.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, 7/205)

For the above two reasons, the jurists (fuqaha) have generally prohibited the cutting of hair for women. It is for the reason of imitating men; they considered such women to be cursed, as in the Hadith women who imitate men are cursed by the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace)

In view of the above, it would generally not be permitted for women to cut their hair. To imitate the styles of the Kuffar and non-Muslim women is not permissible. The hair cuts prevalent among many modern women have a clear resemblance with the styles of non-Muslim women, thus it will be unlawful.

Similarly, to shorten the hair in a way that it resembles the hair of men is also prohibited. If a woman does so, she will earn the curse of the blessed Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace)

However, if a woman trims her hair slightly in a way that she did not contravene any of the above two reasons, then this would be (and Allah knows best) permitted. In other words, there are two conditions for this permissibility, and they both should be understood properly, and not misused or taken out of context:

1) There should be no imitation of non-Muslim Women,

The hairstyles adopted by kuffar and non-Muslim women, such as flicks, perms, fringes, etc… will not be allowed. Cutting the hair from the front will also be impermissible.

2) There should be no imitation of men

Cutting the hair in any way that resembles the hair of men is unlawful (haram), as mentioned previously. Therefore, if a woman cuts her hair from the lower end slightly in order to equate the level of the hairs, then this will be permissible.

It should be noted that, if the hair is cut, then it should be well below the shoulders, and this permissibility is only to cut it slightly. If the woman is married, then this should be done with the consent of her husband.

Finally, it should be remembered that it is better for a woman to not cut her hair altogether, unless there is some genuine reason. In the early times, a woman’s beauty was considered in the length of her hair, and not in looking like a man.

In conclusion, generally it is not permissible for a woman to cut her hair. However, if the hair is cut in the manner outlined above, it would be permissible, although better to avoid.

And Allah knows best

Muhammad ibn Adam
Darul Iftaa
Leicester , UK

S_87
08-09-2006, 10:06 AM

a woman cutting her hair short is not imitating men as the wives of Muhammed :arabic5: cut their hair till it came below their ears. (sahih muslim) and that IS short

Les_Nubian
08-10-2006, 12:15 AM
What if a woman needs to cut her hair, for like, its health? You know, so she doesn't have split ends that go all the way up the shaft of her hair and then her hair breaks off and she has none?

See, if she cuts her hair, then that's seen as wrong, but if she doesn't cut her hair or care for it, then she is prone to split ends and breakage, then the hair breaks more and more, and gets shorter and shorter an crappy looking (which is not acceptable--supposedly Muslims are to take care of themselves and be neat, etcetera), then she has short hair, and looks like a "man", and then she is a curse and an awful horrendous ugly person, and a disgrace to mankind and to Islam.

Or, if she has the type or texture of hair that just plain doesn't grow long at all!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Looking4Peace
08-10-2006, 12:21 AM
I think it can be trimmed and just not too short, yea cutting it is neccessary at times , split ends are unhealthy and make the whole hair dry and coarse and it loses vitamins this way, also the more your trim the dead ends the faster and healthier it grows.

*noor
08-10-2006, 12:28 AM
assalaamu alaikum

jazaakaAllah for sharing this information

heres what i do and i asked about it and so far i hear that theres no problem with it.........i cut off a couple of inches every couple of months to keep my hair healthy and to prevent split ends and it really works........it doesnt make me look like a man in any way nor does it show any imitation of the kuffar so there's nothing wrong with that inshaAllah.

Looking4Peace
08-10-2006, 12:32 AM
^^^ yea thats where i was getting at one time i went almost 2 years with no trim and my hair was so dry and dead it was quite unhealthy and hideaous, from then on I trim at least every 6 months. Maybe at one time women didnt have to trim their hair at all but things like bad environment, hard water, overshampooing and other stuff just causes everyone to get dead ends now.

afriend
08-10-2006, 12:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Crystal4Peace
^^^ yea thats where i was getting at one time i went almost 2 years with no trim and my hair was so dry and dead it was quite unhealthy and hideaous, from then on I trim at least every 6 months. Maybe at one time women didnt have to trim their hair at all but things like bad environment, hard water, overshampooing and other stuff just causes everyone to get dead ends now.
:uuh:

But lol....I get my hair cut quite often.....i'm a man/Boy [Which word best fits? :p]...:rollseyes

pasionatemumina
02-06-2008, 10:16 PM
JazakALLAH for the informations

mujaahidahhxx
09-30-2008, 03:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummah
Asalaamualaikum

ive got layers in my hair....majority of it is below the shoulders.

anyway i found this on islam-qa

Source - http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=13248&dgn=4

and.....

source - http://63.175.194.25/index.php?ln=en...QR=13744&dgn=4

Ma'salaama

you said cutting it short in the back and leaving it long in to the front...
that was just the way the lady cut it....i didnt mean for it to be like that...what should i doo?

Snowflake
09-30-2008, 06:24 AM
seems to me that the prohibition of 'imitating the kufaar' is taken out of context sometimes...

in the days of the Prophet (saw) women used to braid their hair which resembles the styles of afro-hairstyles, yet they were allowed to do that..

similarly loosening braids/plaits leaves hair curly which nowadays is achieved with perms/curling tongs etc.. imitating the kufaar?

non muslim women have short bobs yet as said above the Prophet's (saw) wives used to have 'bobbed' cuts too..

on top of that men are allowed to have long hair.. even the Prophet (saw) did.. so a woman with long hair is imitating men? or the man is imitating women? pleaseee..

imitation is when you are trying to look like one of 'them' and covering your own identity, not having similar hair style, clothes blah blah blah etc

Malaikah
09-30-2008, 07:27 AM

I find it hard to believe that the hanafi scholars really did follow that opinion - unless someone can provide me a reliable source?

mujaahidahhxx
09-30-2008, 07:30 AM
we got taught that women must keep their hair long because that is the only thing they will have to cover them selves on the day of judgement which does make sense. I think this cutting and layers is all the lure of beauty the kaaifirs set for us

what i want to know is that are we allowed to donate our to such organisations as LOCK OF LOVE?? if not then why not??d

:w:

doorster
09-30-2008, 07:37 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

I find it hard to believe that the hanafi scholars really did follow that opinion - unless someone can provide me a reliable source?
wa alaikum salaam

I have had the misfortune of coming across hizbi deobandis who fancy themselves as hanafi scholars but they are nothing of the kind, in fact they are as loony as can be.

disclaimer note: this post is no reflection on anything that may have been posted on previous page (did not read it am not gonna either), I am just making a general observation and am trying to relate exprience that I have had/

:w:

Hasan Ali
09-30-2008, 09:47 PM
ahhh women cant cut their hair?

S_87
09-30-2008, 09:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hasan Ali
ahhh women cant cut their hair?
women CAN cut their hair..

10-01-2008, 09:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amani

a woman cutting her hair short is not imitating men as the wives of Muhammed :arabic5: cut their hair till it came below their ears. (sahih muslim) and that IS short
:thumbs_up

As for covering yourself with it on the day of judgement, I've never read any such hadith on that... just sounds weird to me :blind:

HilalQueen411
10-02-2008, 01:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Scents of Jannah
seems to me that the prohibition of 'imitating the kufaar' is taken out of context sometimes...

in the days of the Prophet (saw) women used to braid their hair which resembles the styles of afro-hairstyles, yet they were allowed to do that..

similarly loosening braids/plaits leaves hair curly which nowadays is achieved with perms/curling tongs etc.. imitating the kufaar?

non muslim women have short bobs yet as said above the Prophet's (saw) wives used to have 'bobbed' cuts too..

on top of that men are allowed to have long hair.. even the Prophet (saw) did.. so a woman with long hair is imitating men? or the man is imitating women? pleaseee..

imitation is when you are trying to look like one of 'them' and covering your own identity, not having similar hair style, clothes blah blah blah etc

I agree. What implies as imitation? I have a side-swept bang, that I've cut to give myself a new look for my husband. Surely I do not want to imitate the kaafirs, but they do have some of the same hairstyles as well. I think if someone were to say "Make me look like so-and-so" or "I want to look like so-and-so" then they'd be imitating.
There has to be a balance in life, because if people start saying its haraam to do certain simple things, then they take away things that make us human. Its just my opinion, Allah knows best and knows all. May He forgive us our sins, and may we expiate them on earth, before we meet Him.

Asalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah:D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.