PDA

View Full Version : Shiisha smoking!!!!

AQSA
01-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Shisha smoking- a major health risk

Khaleej Times
By Nada S. Mussallam
4 June 2006

ABU DHABI — Numerous cafes and restaurants serving shisha (hubble-bubble) have become a disturbing feature of most residential areas across the emirates and pose a menace due to noise and air pollution.

The increasing trend is also blamed for multiplying the parking woes of the already suffering residents.

What is really serious about the phenomenon is that most shisha smokers wrongfully take to the hubble-bubble thinking that it poses only 'light' health risks compared to the serious health related complications of cigarette smoking.

Medical experts have warned that shisha has a more perilous impact on health compared to cigarette smoking. They say most shisha smokers have a misconception based on a wrongful and unscientific notion that tobacco used in shisha is herbal and does not affect body organs.

Residents of buildings with coffee shops and snack counters that serve shisha expressed their resentment over the outlets for the multiple problems they cause them. They called upon the authorities concerned to adopt certain measures to control spread of shisha outlets in the country.

It is to be noted that in their efforts to combat smoking, the health ministers of the GCC states have proposed a hike in the fees of commercial licence issued for cafes and restaurants serving shisha in the member countries. Despite several steps taken by the country to control the spread of tobacco, the UAE is considered among the world's leading consumers of tobacco.

Medical experts have also cautioned that one of the hazards of smoking shisha is lung cancer.

"Most people misleadingly believe shisha does not contain tobacco and that when they smoke they inhale herbal products. It is the added flavours that make them feel they are smoking herbs, while they are actually taking in tobacco and are highly likely to become addicted to nicotine. Shisha smokers should realise that it is far more dangerous than cigarette smoking because the amount of nicotine in shisha can not be measured due to packing differences," a doctor in the government sector warned.

Moreover, while smoking hubble-bubble the aluminium foil, which is usually of poor quality, reacts with the burning charcoal and produces aluminium fumes that are carcinogenic or in other words causes cancer, he said.

He clarified that the amount of carbon dioxide inhaled through shisha is very high compared to cigarette smoking, adding that one shisha smoke is equal to seven or 10 cigarettes depending on the packed ingredients.

He stressed shisha smokers should also be aware of the fact that when smoke goes through water humidity in smoke increases and it then tends to stay for a longer time in the lungs. Some germs, mainly bacteria that cause tuberculosis, live in the shisha pipe.

"According to recent studies the pipe could act as a good medium for conveying bacteria causing infectious diseases like Hepatitis A that can be easily transmitted when shisha pipe is used by multiple smokers," apprised the medical expert.

Maria Antonia, a resident, said: "it is a bad influence for young kids as they too feel like smoking cigarettes and having shisha."

Imli Jungla, another resident, wondered whether something can be done to curb the trend, which she finds sickening. "I find the smell sickening, can't they stop the roadside hubble-bubble culture?" she asked.

Aseel Maad (name changed) said: "Serving shisha in the residential areas has become very annoying to most people in the emirates. I personally believe authorities concerned should intervene to regulate the spread of shisha outlets, especially in residential areas. Besides health risks of hubble-bubble, it distracts youth from becoming creative and utilising their leisure time for doing something useful."

Duriya Ahmed, a 54-year-old housewife, said: "I believe shisha cafes and restaurants distort the beautiful look of cities. They also allure young people to taste the much promoted type of smoking (shisha), which I fear might soon become a habit of elegant and educated young people. I believe authorities concerned should be alert to control prevalence of this harmful phenomenon."

Direct link:

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2006/June/theuae_June124.xml&section=theuae

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
IbnAbdulHakim
01-30-2007, 11:29 AM
my colleague says theres places that dont put tobacco in the sheesha, hmm aint like it matters though, sheeshas boring eitha way

:wasalamex

Naheezah
01-30-2007, 11:29 AM
jazaakhaAllah khair 4 sharing ukhteey! got 2 tell me cuz abt dat he's a shisha addict :(

mohammed farah
01-30-2007, 11:30 AM
thanks for that i had no idea.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
AQSA
01-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Your all welcome,

I felt like i had to share this as i always used to hear how shiisha is minor and has little or no health effects... turns out thats not tue. Anyways i fail to see whats so appealing about it.

SUMMAYAH
01-30-2007, 01:21 PM
I've always wanted to try it........i'll be thinking twice now......

Snowflake
01-30-2007, 01:46 PM
^I did! :embarrass

I never heard about tobaccoless sheesha before. But the one we had contained tobacco. Me and my broz used to pass it around like red indian peace pipes lol. We stopped when we discovered it's haraam.

Al_Imaan
01-30-2007, 01:52 PM
sheesha's haram?....there's like a sheesha bar about every few miles in Virginia, USA.....my cuzins go there all the time w/ their friendz...

Snowflake
01-30-2007, 01:54 PM
well yes, cuz tobacco is harmful.

Al_Imaan
01-30-2007, 01:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
my colleague says theres places that dont put tobacco in the sheesha
this is something that i've heard b4.....

Muslimah_Sis
I never heard about tobaccoless sheesha before.
this is wat i thought....

Snowflake
01-30-2007, 02:00 PM
I thought the one we had was just fruit too. Until I saw tobacco written on the packs. It isn't just the tobacco sis, the fumes from the coal is bad for you too. Especially if it's barbecue coal that's been doused with lighter fuel. And it stinks!

Sabbir_1
01-30-2007, 05:34 PM
dont know why people smoke that crap for, you wana smoke, smoke a fag or something...shiisha .. its nasty, smells horrible too, what makes me sick is when they share it.. with other people ones guys mouth been in the shisha and then another persons puts his mouth in it too.. they dont know nothing about germs...

SUMMAYAH
01-30-2007, 06:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalil27
dont know why people smoke that crap for, you wana smoke, smoke a fag or something
Are you promoting ciggarettes?lol

FBI
01-30-2007, 06:14 PM
:sl:

I'd rather just spend my money one Lolly-pops.

Sabbir_1
01-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Are you promoting ciggarettes?lol
yes :happy: ,

no im not just saying if they need to smoke better off smoking a fag, than a shisha..

most people do it because there friends do it, or they see there parents smoking.. i know loads of people that smoke either because there friends smoked or because of there parents...no offense to the arabs but it is mostly the arab coffee shops where people smoke shisha.. i aint seen a pakistani shop.. i only sa aran and somali shop where they smoke it..its smoked less in the pakistani comuunity..

SUMMAYAH
01-30-2007, 06:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FBI

I'd rather just spend my money one Lolly-pops.

tabacco flavoured?

Kittygyal
01-30-2007, 06:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SUMMAYAH
tabacco flavoured?
salamualikum.
well there's flavour in Shisha.
Ma'assalama

AQSA
01-31-2007, 04:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by khalil27
yes :happy: ,

no im not just saying if they need to smoke better off smoking a fag, than a shisha..

most people do it because there friends do it, or they see there parents smoking.. i know loads of people that smoke either because there friends smoked or because of there parents...no offense to the arabs but it is mostly the arab coffee shops where people smoke shisha.. i aint seen a pakistani shop.. i only sa aran and somali shop where they smoke it..its smoked less in the pakistani comuunity..

Among the elder generations it was indeed mainly an arabian custom... but nowerdays its a trend thats not only exclusive to arabs anymore. Globalisations has played its toll... and its very common for youngsters & some middle-agers from all ethnic backgrounds to go for a night out for 'shiisha'. Its also very commen for them to fool themselves by thinking its very harmless and a bit of light 'fun'--- which obviosuly according to health officials isnt.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-31-2007, 06:58 PM
^^They're telling this now?? I found this out like years ago...
A lil bit slow :X

AQSA
01-31-2007, 07:13 PM
^mashallah you must be one of the lucky ones in that case!

But there are many who still have no idea... and it took around only recently for researchers to find out the long term and moderate effects of it

Kittygyal
01-31-2007, 07:39 PM
salamualikum.
i found out about 'Shisha' when i used to take it when i was a christain though, && after i had me OP i stopped taken it because it can lead to a very bad illness. imsad
Ma'assalama

mano_the_cat
01-31-2007, 08:11 PM
hmm ...i never liked it ... mybrother asked me that its fun & that i must try ..i said no!

Snowflake
01-31-2007, 08:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mano_the_cat
hmm ...i never liked it ... mybrother asked me that its fun & that i must try ..i said no!
lol what are broz like!? mine proudly walked in with a sheesha 'present' for me. Said it would help me to relax when I'm stressed out. It was fun while it lasted. But now the sheesha sits there on display. I can't bear to get rid of it as it's too pretty. Plus my bro paid £25 for it from his pocket money. Ahhhhhhh :statisfie:

p.s someone mentioned sharing the pipe as being unhygienic. Well we used to hold it in our fist and smoke out a gap. So we never put it in our mouths. I can't even share a glass with someone. :X

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
01-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Lol it sounds bad picturing it all. Its weird cuz u all are talking about it in a happy way :offended:. Yallll are weirrrddddddd :X

Kittygyal
01-31-2007, 09:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Lol it sounds bad picturing it all. Its weird cuz u all are talking about it in a happy way :offended:. Yallll are weirrrddddddd :X
salamualikum.
explain ya self what yu mean 'weird' :uuh:
Ma'assalama

Snowflake
01-31-2007, 09:23 PM
well it would on an islamic forum :X :uuh:

snakelegs
01-31-2007, 10:05 PM
valuable thread if only because:

format_quote Originally Posted by SUMMAYAH
I've always wanted to try it........i'll be thinking twice now......
you're lucky that smoking is haram in islam so that most of you will probably never take it up in the first place.

Snowflake
02-02-2007, 01:47 PM
I remember my grandparents smoking sheesha... known a hookah is Pakistan. It's something most old people do there. I wonder how they'd react if I was to go there and tell them it's haraam. ;D

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-02-2007, 06:16 PM
LOL, they'd better repent fast :X

seeker_of_ilm
02-02-2007, 06:20 PM

One of the oddest justifications I keep hearing over and over, is "Bro, Bro.....How can it be haraam? I mean the Arabs do it!" - Haraam is Haraam....regardless of who does it.

Shisha things are sold in some Islamic bookshops, and I saw it used as decoration in an Islamic Awareness week.

May Allah give us all guidance.

:w:

Snowflake
02-02-2007, 10:22 PM
LOL, they'd better repent fast :X
OMG! I forgot they're dead! :offended: :eek: :uuh: :X

how could i?????

Anyway it wasn't known that tobacco is harmful then. :)

AQSA
02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by seeker_of_ilm

One of the oddest justifications I keep hearing over and over, is "Bro, Bro.....How can it be haraam? I mean the Arabs do it!" - Haraam is Haraam....regardless of who does it.

Shisha things are sold in some Islamic bookshops, and I saw it used as decoration in an Islamic Awareness week.

May Allah give us all guidance.

:w:

Quite true.

At times it amuses me when people come with 'the arabs do it' kinda talk to justify some haram things... almost making them sound as if they're incapable of sinning... subhanallah. But anyway i think its a bit cute the way some people look up to them as islam was founded in arabia, rasoolullah (saw) emerging from them and the qur'an being in arabic etc etc...

In that case the arabs should try extra hard to perfect their deen as many people look up to them because of islam :okay:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.