/* */

PDA

View Full Version : The Jinn

MTAFFI
01-31-2007, 09:05 PM
What exactly are the Jinn? Where did they come from, what is there purpose? Are they supposed to be ghosts or spirits on Earth?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
seeker_of_ilm
01-31-2007, 09:08 PM
:sl:

I'll let someone else answer in more detail, but for now read this :) .

What are the jinn?

The Jinn are a world of their own, different from that of humans or the angels. They do however, possess some characteristics in common with humans such as the ability to think and reflect. Similarly they have the ability to choose between the path of good and the path of evil in the same manner as humans. They, though differ from humans in other characteristics including one very important characteristic: Their origin.

They are called Jinn because they are obscured from human sight,

"Lo! He sees you he and his tribe, from whence you see him not" (al-araaf 27)

Their Origin

Allah has informed us that the Jinn have been created from fire as He says in the Quran,

"And the jinn did we create aforetime of essential fire" (al-Hijr 27) In surah al-Rahman (verse 15), He says,

"And the Jinn He did create of a smokeless flame of fire" According to Ibn Abbaas, Ikrimah, Mujaahid, Al-Hasan and others the meaning of marajin-min-nar, is "the extremity of the flame", and in one narration it is described as the purest and best (of fire). An-Nawawi said in his commentary to Sahih Muslim, "The smokeless flame of fire is that mixed with the blackness of fire."

In a hadith recorded by Muslim on the authority of Aisha, the Prophet (peace be upon him) said,

"The angels were created from light, the jinn were created from a smokeless flame of fire and Adam was created from what has been described to you [by Allah in the quran]"

When were they created

There is no doubt that the Jinn were created before mankind, as Allah says,

"Verily we created man of potter's clay of dark mud altered. And the Jinn did we create aforetime of a flameless fire" (al-Hijr 26-27). This verse clearly states that the Jinn were created before mankind. Some of the earlier scholars were of the opinion that they were created a thousand years before mankind, but for that statement they have no proof in the Quran or the Sunnah.

The names for the Jinn in the Arabic language

Ibn Abdul Barr said, "The jinn, according to the scholars of the language, are of different types:

1. If one is mentioning the jinn purely of themselves, they are called Jinni.
2. If one is mentioning the jinn that live among mankind, they are called aamar whose plural is amaar.
3. If one is mentioning the ones that antagonise the young, they are called arwaah.
4. If one is mentioning the evil ones that antagonise humans they are called Shaitan for the singular [and Shayateen for plural]
5. If they cause even more harm and become strong, they are called afreet.

Types of Jinn

The prophet (peace be upon him) said,

"There are three types of jinn: one that flies through the air, one that are snakes and dogs, and one which stay in places and travel about."

sojourner
01-31-2007, 09:42 PM
OK, is this where the idea of "genie" came from then?

Skillganon
01-31-2007, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sojourner
OK, is this where the idea of "genie" came from then?
Yes. :D

You know shaytan named "Ibliss" is one of the Jinn.

Their are different type of Jinns.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MTAFFI
01-31-2007, 09:58 PM
interesting, I would like to learn more of these "Jinn" are there links or any proof other than the Quran that these things exist? Pictures? Drawing? Anything, for whatever reason this intrigues me

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-01-2007, 02:52 AM
Well no pics obviously lol. But maybe someone can find out for u :D

Malaikah
02-02-2007, 02:24 AM
Hi,

Try this thread, what the video... I didn't watch it myself (I'd rather not stay up all night in fear LOL), but it might give you some idea:

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...-exorcism.html

MTAFFI
02-02-2007, 04:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Hi,

Try this thread, what the video... I didn't watch it myself (I'd rather not stay up all night in fear LOL), but it might give you some idea:

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...-exorcism.html
that is probably one of the strangest things i have ever seen :eek: :uuh:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-02-2007, 06:14 PM
^^Tell me about it :X Lol, I thought to myself, I'm not scared. Then I was paranoid that night LOL. Made plenty of supplications before I went too bed ;D

Skillganon
02-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Honestly you should not be scared about it. One should sleep peacefully with no worries about these sort of things.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Lol, i wasnt, but then i just felt paranoid. I jus made a dua and went to sleep.

starfortress
02-03-2007, 06:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
I saw that before not a big deal,what is Hysteria then,women always got it:confused: esp in outdoor activities(i saw that too) and sometimes it's contagious.

Abdul-Raouf
02-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Evil Jinns wont attack a human who is a true believer ie if he is a true muslim.......

Allahu'tala gave Prophet Sulaiman (as) (King Solomon) the power to control jinns.... all jinns were slave to him........

MTAFFI
02-05-2007, 07:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Honestly you should not be scared about it. One should sleep peacefully with no worries about these sort of things.
i didnt actually lose any sleep over it but i was like "wow" when i watched it, it kind of reminded me of one of those christian leaders who claim to heal people.. you know when they say a long prayer and slap the guy in the forehead and say "God says you are healed" and magically they stand up and can walk again...

very strange stuff indeed

lol

Muezzin
02-05-2007, 07:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MTAFFI
that is probably one of the strangest things i have ever seen :eek: :uuh:
That's nothing. I saw a sheep birth once.

MTAFFI
02-08-2007, 08:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
That's nothing. I saw a sheep birth once.
lol... I am sure it was quite a sight...lol

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.