/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Non-Muslims wearing a hijab...

pan
02-01-2007, 06:09 AM
I have been wondering about this particular subject for a while, and I have asked several people on their opinions, Muslims and non-Muslims. Some were offended by the idea of a person who isn't religious wearing a religious, with the opinion that you shouldn't use a religious item if you don't that significance. Many people thought it was just fine, you know accepting a part of another culture/religion. There was also indifference. All reactions that were to be expected.

For a more opinions, I wanted to ask a higher Muslim population (this forum). Does it bother you if a non-Muslim women wears a hijab? For no reason other than that it looks lovely, with no religious attachements, or any statements.

Thanks for your time...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
02-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Historicaly various forms of the hijaab are worn by many cultures throughout the world. It is sometimes worn with relegious significance as in the case of Catholic Nuns and the Spanish Mantilla worn by Spanish girls to church and by Jewish women on some occasions. It is also worn in various forms as a matter of fashion. Some examples the Russian and Polish Babooshku . The fact that a woman is wearing a hijaab does not necessarily mean they are Muslim. Although Muslim woman wear it as a Relegious command.

PSmuslim
02-01-2007, 12:30 PM
That would be wonderful if everyone wore Hijab! :) But remember, Hijab doesn't mean just scarf..

IbnAbdulHakim
02-01-2007, 12:43 PM
lol i feel as though your asking if i have a problem with ladies dressing in a very decent and modest manner. No i think that would make the world a better place.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
learningislam
02-01-2007, 12:54 PM
hi pan,

Does it bother you if a non-Muslim women wears a hijab? For no reason other than that it looks lovely, with no religious attachements, or any statements.
It wont bother me atall. I might go and tell her that she is looking beautiful in that scarf.

Peace.

Woodrow
02-01-2007, 01:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PSmuslim
That would be wonderful if everyone wore Hijab! :) But remember, Hijab doesn't mean just scarf..
Agreed, the reason the person wears it is, what differentiates it from being simply a full head covering or a hijab.

Malaikah
02-01-2007, 01:28 PM
Hi,

I wouldn't mind as long as the person realises that people might think she is a Muslim and doesn't wear it to places that Muslim don't go to, like night club/pub, or act in a way that would reflect badly on Muslims.

:)

Woodrow
02-01-2007, 01:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Hi,

I wouldn't mind as long as the person realises that people might think she is a Muslim and doesn't wear it to places that Muslim don't go to, like night club/pub, or act in a way that would reflect badly on Muslims.

:)
Sadly that does happen. But, we can not control what takes place within another persons heart.

tomtomsmom
02-01-2007, 05:09 PM
I am non-muslim and have worn one once. It was out of respect though. My husband took me to a muslim conference and felt it would be improper for me to go uncovered.

sister_fatimah
02-01-2007, 05:43 PM
:sl:

Once a man asked me if I was wearing the hijjab by fashion or religion , lool:D

Here in my little country is strange see woman with hijjab ...some girls non muslims wear veil ,in a diferent way :confused: ... but even u can see some old woman (catholic) in the church with veil ...

Indigo
02-03-2007, 05:44 AM
I wouldn't be offended as long as she did not try to mock Islam, or trick people into wrong beliefs about Islam. Many people have said how beautiful I look in hijab, both muslim and non muslim. If the non muslims want to try it, or wear it, I would be happy to help them. I think it a commendable attribute in any woman to dress tastefully and modestly. After seeing so many women in barely any clothes (yes they do even here in Alaska despite the cold), even to see them cover from their neck to elbow and to their knees is refreshing. Maybe more people would realize that muslimahs CHOOSE to wear hijab (not forced by men) if it came in "vogue".

I wear hijab. I love hijab. I pray that hijab bans around the world will be abolished. I advocate hijab (not just the clothes) to ALL people, not just muslims.

Assalaam alaykum!

Woodrow
02-03-2007, 07:48 PM
Maybe more people would realize that muslimahs CHOOSE to wear hijab (not forced by men) if it came in "vogue".
Very good point. The familiarity of it would end much stereotypical thought about it.

SATalha
02-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Man imagine walking down west end in london and looking at the store window and seeing Hijab. Ha ha that makes me laugh.

Maidah
02-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Maybe more people would realize that muslimahs CHOOSE to wear hijab (not forced by men) if it came in "vogue".

That is a very true thing. Many people out there think that the only reason you would wear the hijab and jilbab is because you've been forced or you're getting married and this is the choice of your future husband. I really don't get why people think there could be any other reason that is more applicable and coherent than the one God has given to us for wearing the hijab. Most of the time you don't really need a justified reason to start covering up, it happens when you realize the meaning of it and when it's the right time for you appointed by God.

P.S this may have gone off the topic but i just felt like agreeing with the above quote and i would guess that the question of modesty is important to every women even those that are non-muslim.

Indigo
02-04-2007, 01:05 AM
LOL It would be great I think! I wish there were a place to buy Islamic clothing here...rather than having to order all my clothes online. It's extremely hard to find modest clothing in western stores without having to do some heavy duty layering!

Salaam!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.