PDA

View Full Version : hijab?why?

One Man Army
02-02-2007, 07:23 PM
hey can anyone tell me the purpose of the hijab? thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Modesty, Privacy, Integrity, Morality. To the protect the women from lustful gazes etc. I think we have a lot of threads on this already here.

One Man Army
02-02-2007, 07:33 PM
can i ask why is it then that women wear designer hijabs? or perfume? or eye liner, or make up? duz this no defy the purpose of the hijab?

FBI
02-02-2007, 07:33 PM
:sl:

Also acts as an umbrella for your hair.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Al_Imaan
02-02-2007, 07:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tayyaba
Modesty, Privacy, Integrity, Morality. To the protect the women from lustful gazes etc. I think we have a lot of threads on this already here.
i think so too....maybe u should use the search bar, ultimate truth

Al_Imaan
02-02-2007, 07:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ultimate truth
can i ask why is it then that women wear designer hijabs? or perfume? or eye liner, or make up? duz this no defy the purpose of the hijab?
well, they're not supposed to use it....which includes me too....perfume, eyeliner, and make-up cancels out the purpose of the hijab....

One Man Army
02-02-2007, 07:37 PM
what about even designer hijabs? colourful ones, different styles?

Al_Imaan
02-02-2007, 07:39 PM
well, it's also said that colorful, and bright colored hijabs shouldn't be used cuz its also a source of attraction...

Idris
02-02-2007, 07:41 PM
what about even designer hijabs? colourful ones, different styles?
Wow they have designer hijabs? I think I am going over the hill, need to keep up with things.

One Man Army
02-02-2007, 07:46 PM
so whats the exact requirement of the hijab?do u have a picture? duz the face need to be covered, leaving just the eyes?

One Man Army
02-02-2007, 07:48 PM
lol yeh bro, CK, armarni etc lol

Al_Imaan
02-02-2007, 07:51 PM

the face doesn't have to be covered....

glo
02-02-2007, 07:55 PM
so whats the exact requirement of the hijab?do u have a picture? duz the face need to be covered, leaving just the eyes?
I found this website.

zaria
02-02-2007, 07:59 PM

Peace,

Allah knows best and may Allah forgive me for saying anything wrong. Aren't we allowed to wear make up (eyeliner) as long as we don't look like clowns? We can wear perfume for our husbands (in the house? As far as colorful hijabs. Some times we just want to look different. Distinguished ourselves. We don't have to always one color... Again may Allah forgive me for anything I have said wrong.

Al_Imaan
02-02-2007, 07:59 PM
glo
I found this website.
lol...that's where i got the pic....they got some nice designs there....

The Virtues of Hijab

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.An act of obedience.

The hijab is an act of obedience to Allah and to his prophet (pbuh), Allah says in the Qur'an: `It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allah and His messenger have decreed a matter that they should have an option in their decision. And whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger, has indeed strayed in a plain error.' (S33:36).

Allah also said: 'And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things) and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc) and not to show off their adornment except what must (ordinarily) appear thereof, that they should draw their veils over their Juyubihinna.'(S24:31).

Juyubihinna: The respected scholars from As-Salaf As-Saleh (righteous predecessors) differed whether the veil cover of the body must include the hands and face or not. Today, respected scholars say that the hands and face must be covered. Other respected scholars say it is preferable for women to cover their whole bodies.

2.The Hijab is IFFAH (Modesty).

Allah (subhana wa'atala) made the adherence to the hijab a manifestation for chastity and modesty. Allah says: 'O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks (veils) over their bodies (when outdoors). That is most convenient that they should be known and not molested.' (S33:59). In the above Ayaah there is an evidence that the recognition of the apparent beauty of the woman is harmful to her. When the cause of attraction ends, the restriction is removed. This is illustrated in the case of elderly women who may have lost every aspect of attraction. Allah (swt) made it permissible for them to lay aside their outer garments and expose their faces and hands reminding, however, that is still better for them to keep their modesty.

3.The hijab is Tahara (Purity)

Allah (swt) had shown us the hikma (wisdom) behind the legislation of the hijab: `And when you ask them (the Prophet's wives) for anything you want, ask them from behind a screen, that is purer for your hearts and their hearts.' (S33:53).

The hijab makes for greater purity for the hearts of believing men and women because it screens against the desire of the heart. Without the hijab, the heart may or may not desire. That is why the heart is more pure when the sight is blocked (by hijab) and thus the prevention of fitna (evil actions is very much manifested. The hijab cuts off the ill thoughts and the greed of the sick hearts:

`Be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy or evil desire for adultery, etc) should be moved with desire, but speak in an honourable manner.' (S33:32)

4.The hijab is a Shield

The prophet (pbuh) said: "Allah, Most High, is Heaven, is Ha'yeii (Bashful), Sit'teer (Shielder). He loves Haya' (Bashfulness) and Sitr (Shielding; Covering)." The Prophet (pbuh) also said: "Any woman who takes off her clothes in other than her husband's house (to show off for unlawful purposes), has broken Allah's shield upon her. "The hadith demonstrates that depending upon the kind of action committed there will be either reward (if good) or punishment (if bad).

5. The hijab is Taqwah (Righteousness)

Allah (swt) says in the Qur'an: `O children of Adam! We have bestowed raiment upon you to cover yourselves (screen your private parts, etc) and as an adornment. But the raiment of righteousness, that is better.'(S7:26). The widespread forms of dresses in the world today are mostly for show off and hardly taken as a cover and shield of the woman's body. To the believing women, however the purpose is to safeguard their bodies and cover their private parts as a manifestation of the order of Allah. It is an act of Taqwah (righteousness).

6.The hijab is Eemaan (Belief or Faith)

Allah (swt) did not address His words about the hijab except to the believing women, Al-Mo'minat. In many cases in the Qur'an Allah refers to the "the believing women". Aisha (RA), the wife of the prophet (pbuh), addressed some women from the tribe of Banu Tameem who came to visit her and had light clothes on them, they were improperly dressed: "If indeed you are believing women, then truly this is not the dress of the believing women, and if you are not believing women, then enjoy it."

7. The hijab is Haya' (Bashfulness)

There are two authentic hadith which state: "Each religion has a morality and the morality of Islam is haya'" AND "Bashfulness is from belief, and belief is in Al-Jannah (paradise)". The hijab fits the natural bashfulness which is a part of the nature of women.

8.The hijab is Gheerah

The hijab fits the natural feeling of Gheerah, which is intrinsic in the straight man who does not like people to look at his wife or daughters. Gheerah is a driving emotion that drives the straight man to safeguard women who are related to him from strangers. The straight MUSLIM man has Gheerah for ALL MUSLIM women In response to lust and desire, men look (with desire) at other women while they do not mind that other men do the same to their wives or daughters. The mixing of sexes and absence of hijab destroys the Gheera in men. Islam considers Gheerah an integral part of faith. The dignity of the wife or daughter or any other Muslim woman must be highly respected and defended.
http://www.islamworld.net/hijabvirtue.html

Maidah
02-02-2007, 09:47 PM
I just want to ask that i know the reason for wearing the hijab, but what about the jilbaba that women wear? Do you have to wera it and does majority of the sisters wear it? I know thsi may sound stupid but i really want to wera it but don't really know how to? It would be nice to a little more about it or how sisters carry it:confused:

Um_ahmad
02-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Inshallah, I hope I wear it soon... I hope.

*charisma*
02-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Hey,

That's their personal choice, it has nothing to do with the Islamic ettiquette of dress. All that isn't even allowed.

For those that want to wear hijaab, what to know the acceptable conditions of hijaab, and for those that don't wear hijaab properly:

Conditions for the acceptability of hijab

These are not the only conditions but the most important ones. Conditions may also vary from one scholar to another. The conditions covered here are the most obvious requirements of hijab according to Qaradawi and Al-Kanadi.

1. The clothing must cover the entire body except that which has been allowed to be uncovered i.e. the face and hands.

2. The fabric that the woman’s clothing is made of must not be so thin or delicate so as to display the body’s form or skin colour.

Allah’s Messenger (s) said: "There will be found amongst the latter day people of my nation (of Muslims), women who are (ostensibly) dressed, but (in reality) naked, their hair will be rolled up in a bun at the tops of their heads like the camel’s hump. Curse them for verily they are cursed." (Related by At-Tabarani, an authentic chain)

3. The clothing must hang loosely on the body and must not be tight fitting such that it shows the shape and size of the limbs.

Usaama bin Zaid (ra) said: "Allah’s Messenger (s) gave me a gift of thick Coptian cloth which he had previously received as a gift from Dahiah Al-Kalby, so I gave it to my wife to use for her clothing. The Prophet (s) (later) asked me: ‘What’s with you that you don’t wear the Coptian cloth?’ I replied: ‘I gave it to my wife to wear’. The Prophet (s) then said: ‘Order her to wear a gown under the Coptian cloth, for verily I fear that it might reveal the size and shape of her body parts’". (Ahmad and Al-Baihaqi with an authentic chain) The reason for wearing loose fitting clothing is to remove the attraction and fascination of her body from the eyes of the beholder. It is obvious that tight fitting clothes clearly display the shape and size of the body and this goes against the order given by the Prophet (s) in the hadith mentioned.

4. A woman’s clothes should not resemble a man’s clothes and vice versa.
Abu Hurayrah (ra) said: "Allah’s Messenger (s) cursed the man who wears attire which resembles women’s clothing, and he cursed the woman who wears garments resembling men’s clothing." (Abu Dawud and Ibn Majah with an authentic chain)

5. The garments must not have such bold designs or consist of such bright colors that they charm and attract men’s attention to the woman wearing them.

Allah (swt) says in the Quran: "..And let the women not display their adornments…" (An-Nur 24:30-31)

This verse describes the outer garments as well as the actual body underneath. Hence the outer garment should not be attractively decorated with the result that special attention is drawn to the woman wearing it. On this condition scholars like Dr. Abu Aminah Bilal Philips argue that this point is relative to the environment one lives in. For example in Saudi Arabia it would not be recommendable for a women to go out in brightly coloured clothes because that is not the custom of Saudi women, they wear black. On the other hand, if a woman went to Malaysia (where it is customary for the women to wear floral fabrics in various colours) and wore black she would be drawing more attention to herself. Allahu a’lam

6. The clothing worn by a believing woman must not resemble the clothes normally worn by disbelieving women.

Abdullah Ibn Umar (ra) relates that Allah’s Messenger (s) said: "Whosoever resembles a people, he is one of them." (Ahmad and Abu Dawud with an authentic chain) It is a general principle of the Islamic Shariah that Muslims (men and women) should differ from the disbelievers in all of their affairs, such as religious observances and festivities, their customs, and their attire and adornment.

7. The dress must not be ostentatious for show of pride or worldliness or to gain high reputation or to be "noticed in the crowd". An example of this is the wearing of very expensive or individualistic clothing which makes the woman stand out amongst her properly dressed Muslim sisters with the aim of achieving a certain distinction among them.

Abdullah Ibn ‘Umar (ra) related that the Messenger (s) of Allah (swt) said: "Whosoever wore ostentatious dress in this worldly life, Allah will clothe him in a dress of humiliation and disgrace on the Day of Resurrection; then He will kindle it with fire." (Abu Dawud, Ibn Majah and others with a sound chain)

It is the duty of every Muslim woman to guard her modesty and conceal her adornment from all those who are forbidden to see them. Those who fulfill this obligation will surely achieve Allah’s pleasure and peace in this life as well as the eternal bliss of Paradise which Allah (swt) has promised those who sincerely fear and obey Him.

Code of Conduct: An indivisible part of a Muslim woman’s hijab

1. Lowering the gaze. According Sheikh Yusuf Qaradawi the most precious ornament of a woman is modesty and the best expression of modesty is in the lowering of the gaze. This is a Quranic injunction for both men and women. See Surat An-Nur24:30-31.

2. Not intermingling with men in such a way that their bodies come in contact or that men touch women.

Ma’qal ibn Yasar narrated that the Messenger (s) of Allah (swt) said: "It is better for one of you to be pricked in the head with an iron pick than to touch a woman whom it is unlawful to touch". (At-Tabarani with and authentic chain)

3. The Muslim woman walks and talks in a dignified and business-like manner, avoiding flirtatiousness in her facial expressions and movements. Flirtatious and seductive behaviour are not the characteristics of a believer.

Allah (swt) says in Surat Al-Ahzab, verse 32: "Then do not be too pleasant of speech, lest one in whose heart there is a disease should feel desire (for you)…"

3. A believing woman does not draw men’s attention to her concealed adornment by the use of perfume or by jingling or toying with her ornaments/jewelry.

Allah (swt) says in Surat An-Nur, verse 31: "They should not strike their feet in order to make known what they hide of their adornment…"

In conclusion, from the evidence that has been presented, it is clear what the minimum requirements of hijab are. It is also clear that the hijab is an order from Allah (swt) and not something which has been ordained by man or specific cultures. Not only is hijab the outer covering of a woman, but it is also the manner in which the believing woman behaves and conducts herself. Let us be of those whom Allah (swt) mentions in the Quran thus:

"The Messenger believes in what has been sent down to him from his Lord, and (so do) the believers… and they say, ‘We hear and we obey.’" (Al-Baqarah,2:285).

For More info, go here: Source

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Umm Yoosuf
02-03-2007, 02:59 AM
Hi

You've asked those questions already in this thread

Did you not read the replied?

http://www.islamicboard.com/basics-i...tml#post637372

jihaadu nafs
02-03-2007, 01:58 PM
hijaab? why?

This is a good question and there is a beautiful answer! Allaah has commanded us with every action that is good for us and prohibited us from performing every action that is bad for us. Allaah orders the Muslim woman to wear the hijaab when she steps out of the security of her home or when in the presence of strange men. So to wear the hijaab is a source of great good for you – the Muslim woman - for many reasons. Among them:
1. You please Allaah. You are obeying the commands of your Lord when you wear the hijaab and you can expect great rewards in return.
2. It is Allaah’s protection of your natural beauty. You are too precious to be "on display" for each man to see.
3. It is Allaah’s preservation of your chastity.
4. Allaah purifies your heart and mind through the hijaab.
5. Allaah beautifies your inner and outer countenance with hijaab. Outwardly your hijaab reflects innocence, purity, modesty, shyness, serenity, contentment and obedience to your Lord. Inwardly you cultivate the same.
6. Allaah defines your femininity through the hijaab. You are a woman who respects her womanhood. Allaah wants you to be respected by others, and for you to respect yourself.
7. Allaah raises your dignity through the hijaab. When a strange man looks at you, he respects you because he sees that you respect yourself.
8. Allaah protects your honour 100% through your hijaab. Men do not gaze at you in a sensual way, they do not approach you in a sensual way, and neither do they speak to you in a sensual way. Rather, a man holds you in high esteem and that is just by one glance at you!
9. Allaah gives you nobility through the hijaab. You are noble not degraded because you covered not naked.
10. Allaah demonstrates your equality as a Muslim woman through the hijaab. Your Lord bestows upon you equal worth as your male counterpart, and gives you a host of beautiful rights and liberties. You express your acceptance of these unique rights by putting on the hijaab.
11. Allaah defines your role as a Muslim woman through the hijaab. You are a someone with important duties. You are a reflection of a woman of action not idle pursuits. You display your sense of direction and purpose through your hijaab. You are someone that people take seriously.
12. Allaah expresses your independence through the hijaab. You are stating clearly that you are an obedient servant of the Greatest Master. You will obey no one else and follow no other way. You are not a slave to any man, nor a slave to any nation. You are free and independent from all man-made systems.
13. Allaah gives you the freedom of movement and expression through the hijaab. You are able to move about and communicate without fear of harassment. Your hijaab gives you a unique confidence.
14. Allaah wants others to treat you – a Muslim woman - with kindness. And the hijaab brings about the best treatment of men towards you.
15. Allaah wants your beauty to be preserved and saved for just one man to enjoy – your husband.
16. Allaah helps you to enjoy a successful marriage through wearing hijaab. Because you reserve your beauty for one man alone, your husband’s love for you increases, he cherishes you more, he respects you more and he honours you more. So your hijaab contributes to a successful and lasting marriage relationship.
17. Allaah brings about peace and stability in the society through the hijaab! Yes this is true! Men do not cause corruption by forming illegal relationships because you - the Muslim woman - calm their passions. When a man looks at you, he feels at ease, not tempted to fornicate…
So a Muslim woman in hijaab is dignified, not dishonoured, noble, not degraded, liberated, not subjugated, purified, not sullied, independent, not a slave, protected, not exposed, respected, not laughed at, confident, not insecure, obedient, not a sinner, a guarded pearl, not a prostitute…
Dear Muslim sister! Come towards the gates of Paradise with us! Fulfill your duties towards Allaah, put on your adornment - put on your hijaab, and race towards Jannah (Paradise) by doing all good actions. You should agree by now that wearing hijaab is extremely beneficial – it must be - because Allaah only commands what is good…
…and believe me dear sister, it is good to obey the commands of your Lord…
"Their reward is with their Lord: Gardens of Eden underneath which rivers flow wherein they will dwell for ever; Allaah is pleased with them, and they are pleased with Him; this is (in store) for whoever fears his Lord." [Sooratul-Bayyinah 98:8]

Um_ahmad
02-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Thank you all for a better understanding. I learned alot here. But what do you do with racism. With people who treat you diffrent, stares,comments. I can't handle all of that. Im a business owner and I know people will react diffrent to me if I wear the scarf. Does anyone else have these issues?

One Man Army
02-06-2007, 11:09 PM
so isnt the face cover part essential? thats an optional part right?

deen_2007
02-06-2007, 11:21 PM
so isnt the face cover part essential? thats an optional part right?
there are two views to this.............as far as i know........& its mainly optional.......depends which opinion u follow........but i assure u those who wear the nikab (covering of the face)....do it with their own will.........no 1 is forced:smile:

Um_ahmad
02-07-2007, 04:29 PM
DEEN] Alot of the women in saudia arabia are forced....

zaria
02-07-2007, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Um_ahmad
DEEN] Alot of the women in saudia arabia are forced....
Allahu A'lam
In the U.S. you are not forced but recomended. (ie husband may wish for their wives to wear niqab).

Umm Yoosuf
02-07-2007, 05:53 PM
The subject of the Hijab/Niqab has been discussed numerous of times. Read through the links provided and use the search facility for further information.

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.