/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Book opinion/suggestions needed

KAding
02-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Hello :)

I am looking for a good English-language book to help me learn me about Islam. I prefer a book aimed at Muslims that tries to touch on as many subjects as possible within Islam.

I was looking at: Minhaj Al-Muslim (The Way of the Muslim), 2 Vols. (Hardcover)

Does anyone have any opinions on the book or the writer? I'm open to other book suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
lolwatever
02-03-2007, 12:07 PM
heya kading, yeh that book is pretty good, havnt raed the english version but yeh the arabic one is neat das 4sure.

umm wat sort of aspects are u looking 4 in specific? worship, business, social life or etc?

its kind ahrd 2find a book that covers all 4 aspects... unless u get into fiqh ("jeruspridence") books which tend to be *voluminous* (coz they go into alot of detail n xplanation)

take care all the best

Malaikah
02-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Did you want something basic, or something aimed more at an older audience. (I find that the basics are more easily understood from books aimed at younger audiences).

Would you be interested in websites also?

You can check out this website, it is covers a lot of topics in a little detail, but not too much detail:
http://islamtoday.com/discover_islam...&sub_cat_id=41

(Click on the links on the side for different topics)

KAding
02-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the answers so far.

I suppose I was a bit too vague :). I think what I am looking for is a book that lays out the principles of Islam to me, but in rather great detail. I am not a complete newbie on Islam, so it shouldn't be too basic. Thats why I was thinking about a book that was aimed at Muslim to restrengthen their deen. Such a book would not be too basic, yet would be strong on the fundamentals I would think.

I'd rather not it delve too deep into actual shariah jurisprudence, but would expect it to explain the fundamental principles behind the shariah for example. I prefer it to be not too political.

I'm currently looking for a book to be honest, since I plan to read it on my frequent train voyages. Besides, I like to fill my bookshelf a bit ;).

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
02-03-2007, 12:24 PM
I'm not certain yet what kind of thing your interested in, so I'll just list some things that might seem helpful.

There is one book called The Ideal Muslim (The female version is The Ideal Muslimah)... it is pretty much about the Muslim personally, and looks at what a Muslims relationship with others should be like, such as with his lord, with himself, with his parents, wife, kids, neighbours, friends, the community...

It looks at things like worship, duties and rights, responsibilities... what is allowed, what isn't... it more or less defines what the Islamic personality should be like...

That would be a great book to look at if your interested in Muslim personality/lifestyle/etiquettes etc...

You can check out the online version here to see if it is what you were looking for:
http://kalamullah.com/Books/The%20Ideal%20Muslim.pdf

ژاله
02-03-2007, 12:34 PM
http://www.harunyahya.com/devoted01.php
http://www.harunyahya.com/books/fait...ease/easy1.php
http://www.harunyahya.com/books/fait...ease/easy1.php
http://www.harunyahya.com/tenets.php
try these online books
take care

rubiesand
02-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I think this might be a good one for you, read by Muslims and non Muslims:

Islam and the Destiny of Man

'Considered essential by [those] seeking to understand Islam.' (Sunday Telegraph) '...a book dealing with the most vital and crucial questions now agitating our lives.' Maryam Jameelah (Muslim World Book Review) 'This book deserves to be read over and over again.' (Muslim Education Quarterly) 'This is a beautifully written book. It offers a taste of theology, of history, of aesthetics and of eschatology blended in such way as to provide a whole and balanced image, a vision of life that is both comprehensive and thoroughly Islamic.'

Edited: hope the link works now!

netprince
02-03-2007, 12:59 PM
^^^ good book to read, Gai Eaton has written some very good books.

Another one for you to try would be "The Vision of Islam (Visions of Reality. Understanding Religions)" by Murata and Chittick.

If you prefer hearing a commentary on the book then you can download it from this site>>>>> LINK

Review from Amazon
A great look at Islam from the "phenomenological" perspective. Not for beginners, more for intermediate students who've already grasped the general "how-to's" and "where-from's" and who, as the authors intend, wish a book that gives the insights of a practicing Muslim imbued with the faith of the heart as well as the facts of the mind. The authors' sympathies seem to be with the former, but as practioners of the latter, they manage to bridge the gap between an inner view and an objective analysis.

You can tell that Chittick and Murata have refined much of this material in classrooms--they frequently provide analogies that Western readers can understand, and anticipate objections and confusions predictable from newcomers. I appreciated their sensibility that can teach both those within Islam and those observing it from the "outside"; they assume that both groups will learn from their fair-minded approach. While a bit soft on the Islamists and their narrow interpetations, they do criticize (pretty late in the book) such limitations, although typically in a gentle, understated manner. It's only fair to notice when this book appeared. My only reason for four stars is because a revised edition would be very appropriate with the renewed interest in Islam and the need for an updated global context.
However, most of the wisdom in this study is timeless. My favorite part was that devoted to the Muslim conception of the afterlife and the intersection of good and evil within the power of the divine. Not the easiest topics, but very worthwhile for the careful, patient reader. The attention devoted to these ideas pays off. Over hours spent thinking about the authors' encounter with the hadith of Gabriel, I came away from this book enriched and invigorated. Carefully compiled and meticulously written, the combination of Western objectivity and personal enthusiasm (in the root sense: to be filled with God!) motivates what must have been a labor of love as well as a considerable effort intellectually for the authors to compile. No mere textbook, but no fuzzy inspirational tract, this volume combines scholarship with love and scrutiny.

KAding
02-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the links everyone. I might print out some of these.

In the meantime I also found 'Minhaj Al-Muslim (The Way of the Muslim)' quite cheaply on ebay, so I ordered that.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.