/* */

PDA

View Full Version : question about a biblical verse

doodlebug
02-04-2007, 11:13 PM
assalam alaykum

I would like to know what muslims translate this passage in the bible as:

Matthew 16:13-19
Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?" And they said, "Some say John the Baptist, but others Elijah, and still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets." He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

If you could focus on the bold parts I'd appreciate it greatly. To me it's looking like Jesus (pbuh) is praising Simon for saying that he is the Son of God. Why would this be?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Skillganon
02-04-2007, 11:17 PM
:w: sis. Long time no see. Hope you are well and in good health.

Basicly you have to understand it from the OT and some part of the NT. Jesus is praising simon for he recognising Jesus of being sent by the True one God, "A man of God" i.e. a prophet more specifically the title "the Masih"

The second part is Jesus is affirming that this is not revealed by any flesh (mankind including him) but by the True one God.

Hope that helps

EDIT:
I am sure sister doodlebug is aware we do not use the Bible as an authoritive in Islam. She is merely asking our opinion on the the above matter.

p.s I hope everything is going well for you sis.

Jayda
02-04-2007, 11:27 PM
hola

*deleted* on second thought i think this was crass...

lo siento
Dios te bendiga

Umar001
02-04-2007, 11:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
assalam alaykum

I would like to know what muslims translate this passage in the bible as:

Matthew 16:13-19
Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say that the Son of Man is?" And they said, "Some say John the Baptist, but others Elijah, and still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets." He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God." And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

If you could focus on the bold parts I'd appreciate it greatly. To me it's looking like Jesus (pbuh) is praising Simon for saying that he is the Son of God. Why would this be?

Do I as a Muslim need to interpret this?

Let me ask you, do you accept da'if hadith or fabricated ones? Thats one answer!

Another, do you accept the reliability of a scripture which was written by an unknown author?

Another, can you show me in a logical way that the above is an accurate recording of Jesus' and his disciple's speech?

Furthermore, do you know that this same story is told in a variety of ways throughout the Gospels, a way which shows an evolutionary state in the minds of the authors?

I mean, Muslims do not need to interpret this since Muslims do not need to believe this is an historical nor accurate account of the life of Jesus.

Insha'Allah sister answer me those and I will try and see what I can cook up for you :)

Your brother Eesa.

Jayda,

Have you ever exclaimed 'Oh God' when someone suprises you?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
rubiesand
02-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Wa alaikum assalam Doodlebug,

I would ask what did Simon Peter mean by the phrase 'Son of God' ? - The phrase exists in the Jewish tradition without implying divinity of a person.

"In the Tanakh the term itself does not connote any form of physical descent from, or unity of essence with, God. The Hebrew idiom conveys an expression of holyness (=to be special) or great power."

source

What I see in the passage you highlighted is Isa (peace be upon him) acknowledging Simon Peter's description of him as the Messiah and a holy one of God.

doodlebug
02-05-2007, 04:51 AM
assalam alaykum

see I knew I could get my answers here! lol. thanks everyone!!!!

snakelegs
02-05-2007, 05:42 AM
good to see you again, doodle.

Malaikah
02-05-2007, 05:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
and the gates of Hades
:sl:

Isn't that from Greek mythology??:confused:

By the way, Al Habeshi, nice reply.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.