/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Help with Somali

Jibril
02-05-2007, 07:21 AM
My Somali is pretty bad last time i was there was 87 and there were no somalis where i grew up only blacks, puerto ricans dominicans etc.,.. is there anyone here that can help me with that?

Problem with Somalis is that when you don't speak the language well they'll laugh at you rather than help you out. Not nice especially since I don't laugh at them when they mutilate the english language.

Anyway,...i figure the people here aren't as ignorant so lets go.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umm Yoosuf
02-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Assalaamu Alaikum

Maybe this thread would be good help.

http://www.islamicboard.com/misc-lan...ay-somali.html

FBI
02-05-2007, 11:44 AM
:sl:

I'm in the same boat bro, Too be honest I could care less

jihaadu nafs
02-05-2007, 11:59 AM
go to somali chat rooms, lol seriously you do learn a lot from there. but dont go to any chat room go to somali islamic rooms in paltakl you will also learn how to read and type in somali. and listen to somali lectures.
Also try to go back to somaliya, . Don’t mind if they laugh, you just concentrate in learning your mother tongue.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
amirah_87
02-05-2007, 12:09 PM

I'm sure most of Us somalis who grew up in the west are all facin the same problem! Lol

If you need help, Just ask on the link Al-Mu'minah provided you with InshaAllah.. and maybe we could all put are heads together loq

and listen to somali lectures
You see I tried that a while back sis, listening in the lessons Shiekh Ahmed Daahir and all used to give!
But their somali is so Classic and they'd be using all these big words!! I was like: Hoyeey tawbah I ain't comin again, waxba kama fahmi.. :hiding:

Maimunah
02-05-2007, 12:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87

I was like: Hoyeey tawbah I ain't comin again, waxba kama fahmi.. :hiding:
lool:D and there i thought u woz good:eek:

baah soo baroo luuqa dadhaa:D

lol:w:

amirah_87
02-05-2007, 12:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ruwaydah
lool:D and there i thought u woz good:eek:

baah soo baroo luuqa dadhaa:D

lol:w:

Lol .. InshaAllah Ukhtiy! I'm workin On it! :D

baah
baah, ain't it meant to be "Bax" :p Look who's talkin' ..Lol :D

Jibril
02-05-2007, 04:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by FBI

I'm in the same boat bro, Too be honest I could care less
I have a short fuse when it comes to things like that. Dnt knw why but i've come close to clockin some of these brothers astagfarallah,. ofcourse they were jerks to begin with so it was a convenient excuse.:D

Umm Yoosuf
02-05-2007, 04:20 PM

I'm sure most of Us somalis who grew up in the west are all facin the same problem! Lol

If you need help, Just ask on the link Al-Mu'minah provided you with InshaAllah.. and maybe we could all put are heads together loq

You see I tried that a while back sis, listening in the lessons Shiekh Ahmed Daahir and all used to give!
But their somali is so Classic and they'd be using all these big words!! I was like: Hoyeey tawbah I ain't comin again, waxba kama fahmi.. :hiding:
That shaikh is just Masha Allah! If you pay attention you'd understand believe me. The sound of the tapes is a bit off putting bcuz they are so old..but other then that its good.

Jibril
02-05-2007, 04:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
Assalaamu Alaikum

Maybe this thread would be good help.

http://www.islamicboard.com/misc-lan...ay-somali.html
cmon now my somali aint that bad ofcourse i knw the simple stuff no problem, but vocabularly is limited in that i can't have an indepth conversation about anything i want.

Skillganon
02-05-2007, 04:22 PM
LOL. Somali is a nice language. First time I heard somali was when some new somali students (a whole bunch) came to my SCHOOL & college. lol, That was couple of years ag. Now I am use to it.

Umm Yoosuf
02-05-2007, 04:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jibril
cmon now my somali aint that bad ofcourse i knw the simple stuff no problem, but vocabularly is limited in that i can't have an indepth conversation about anything i want.

Subhan Allah I didn't mean it like that Akhi. That thread is for eveyone. Whether your somali is advanced or not you can use that thread.

Jibril
02-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Subhan Allah I didn't mean it like that Akhi. That thread is for eveyone. Whether your somali is advanced or not you can use that thread.
I thought u were replyin to me my bad.

AHMED_GUREY
02-05-2007, 07:40 PM
tips

-you have to be confident with yourself when you speak

-don't speak when your not spoken to..(especially when your with elders) just be silent

-when a question is projected at you make sure you answer fast and quik

1,2 ..1,2 quik quik and out

slip...

and the elders will be all over you they have no heart..... huuuu he/she can't speak af somali hahaha and from there they start dissing your clothes and your shoes etc etc

:p but it makes you strong :shade:

not really imsad lol :D

Skillganon
02-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Bro Ahmed you taling from experience. I find it very funny.

You can't speak somali. Ha! Ha! Ha!

AHMED_GUREY
02-05-2007, 07:48 PM
i remember when i was a kid i use to be laughed at by my uncles and other elderly relatives of my family

but now it's ok :D

Idris
02-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Yea they call me fish and chips lol, and ask me the meaning of some words in Somali... most of the time I have no idea so they all start laughing like a pack of crazy animals ….gets on my nervesimsad

Umm Yoosuf
02-11-2007, 10:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Idris
Yea they call me fish and chips lol, and ask me the meaning of some words in Somali... most of the time I have no idea so they all start laughing like a pack of crazy animals ….gets on my nervesimsad
:eek:

You do need to improve on your somali though. May Allah make it easy for you.

Ar-RaYYan
02-13-2007, 10:17 PM
u know I'm not actually looking forward to this summer. the reason is simple- i'm going to somalia (for the first time) and i'm going to be the comedian over there bcoz of the language.

To tell u the truth , i'm scared!!! :uuh: to think that my granny was enough - and now i'm going to meet unknown relatives which in my case most of them are elders!!!!!!!!!

HELP NEEDED (p.s. what do u do if unknown elder ask u a questions u don't understand?:uuh: )

Advice needed lol

Jibril
02-13-2007, 10:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by proud_muslimah
u know I'm not actually looking forward to this summer. the reason is simple- i'm going to somalia (for the first time) and i'm going to be the comedian over there bcoz of the language.

To tell u the truth , i'm scared!!! :uuh: to think that my granny was enough - and now i'm going to meet unknown relatives which in my case most of them are elders!!!!!!!!!

HELP NEEDED (p.s. what do u do if unknown elder ask u a questions u don't understand?:uuh: )

Advice needed lol
Good luck. I left Somalia when I was a little kid, but alhamdullilah I got to see it when it was beautiful and had a government. Good luck and use this opportunity to improve your Somali. What part of Somalia are you visiting? Hargeisa? Xamar?

mohammed farah
02-13-2007, 11:08 PM
my somali is so bad when ever i say anyting my cousin and friends laugh ar me and ask me to repeat what i said

Ar-RaYYan
02-14-2007, 05:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jibril
Good luck. I left Somalia when I was a little kid, but alhamdullilah I got to see it when it was beautiful and had a government. Good luck and use this opportunity to improve your Somali. What part of Somalia are you visiting? Hargeisa? Xamar?
I think i need that luck. Anywaz, ma parents families all live in different parts of the country which means i will do a lot of travelling (thats the best part of going to somalia) . i don't remember many of the city names i'm going to vists but here are few of them- Xamar, bosaaso, dhahar, galkacyo , that is the only ones i can remember.

knowledgeseeker
02-14-2007, 05:44 PM
lol i know what its like, when my relatives make fun of my somali, i just remind them of how appalling their english is, it usually works...keeps them quite and me happy:p

Ar-RaYYan
02-16-2007, 12:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by knowledgeseeker
lol i know what its like, when my relatives make fun of my somali, i just remind them of how appalling their english is, it usually works...keeps them quite and me happy:p
lol
good tip sis :D

Idris
02-16-2007, 06:04 PM
what ever you do don't guess lol.. what they are chating about.

~*~Serene~*~
02-17-2007, 11:07 AM
Salam .

I don't speak somali and still have a lot to learn in comprehension. I'd like to learn it one day so i have collected a lot of links.

Enjoy.

Learn Somali

http://www.culturalorientation.net/somali/slang02.html

http://messene.nmsu.edu:8082/diction......P=1&start=1

http://www.websters-online-dictionar...omali-english/

http://www.fortunecity.com/bally/dur....html#engtosom

http://www.fortunecity.com/bally/dur....html#somtoeng

http://www.africanlanguage.com/shop/......&lang=en-us

http://www.islamicboard.com/general-...-somali-5.html

http://ww2.saturn.stpaul.k12.mn.us/somali/phrases.html

youngsister
02-17-2007, 03:36 PM
:sl: Join the club!
My somali is terrible, I left somalia wayyyy back in 1989, came here when I was 1.

I understand it but cant really speak it, all i say is Alhamdullah,

youngsis how are u? Alhamdullah
Hows the fam? Alhamdullah
Hows college? Alhamdullah
Tell your mum I said Hi ok? Isha Allah

I am going to somalia next year so Isha Allah I am going to learn it there.
Somalis can mean sometimes, you know when someone feels low about themself they try to put others down.

Ignore them!
:)
:w:

amirah_87
02-17-2007, 03:40 PM

^ Lol sis!

We all seem to facing the same problems, and it's kinda sad!!
if we're all like this now.. what are our children and our children's children gonna be speakin'? .. :muddlehea

May Allah help Us!

youngsister
02-17-2007, 03:44 PM
:sl: Trust me sis you probably 1000000 better than me!

I am going to somalia next year so if I learn it properly there I can then teach me kids,I am not looking to marry now or have kids now so erm there wont be a problem:D

I know is important to speak your language but some people go OTT, there is no need to be horrible about it. When I die, why didnt you learn somali will not be the question I be asked.

But yeah Isha Allah I will improve on it.

amirah_87
02-17-2007, 03:48 PM

Trust me sis you probably 1000000 better than me!
Jeee, I doubt that very much! :p

I am going to somalia next year so if I learn it properly there I can then teach me kids,I am not looking to marry now or have kids now so erm there wont be a problem :D
MashaAllah that's really nice! I never been.. and I don't know when I'm gonna. :-\

I know is important to speak your language but some people go OTT, there is no need to be horrible about it. When I die, why didnt you learn somali will not be the question I be asked.
Haha.. tell me about!! :D

youngsister
02-17-2007, 03:52 PM
:sl: Isha Allah you will get to go there.:D :w:

AHMED_GUREY
02-17-2007, 07:25 PM
I should take a different direction and start studying to become a shrink who helps victims of bullying in the new generation of the Somali diasporic community

i bet i'd be a millionaire in a few years time:D :D

youngsister
02-17-2007, 09:05 PM
:sl: LoL ahmed, whos getting bullied? PSHHH:D

knowledgeseeker
02-17-2007, 09:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by youngsister
:sl: Join the club!
My somali is terrible, I left somalia wayyyy back in 1989, came here when I was 1.

I understand it but cant really speak it, all i say is Alhamdullah,

youngsis how are u? Alhamdullah
Hows the fam? Alhamdullah
Hows college? Alhamdullah
Tell your mum I said Hi ok? Isha Allah

I am going to somalia next year so Isha Allah I am going to learn it there.
Somalis can mean sometimes, you know when someone feels low about themself they try to put others down.

Ignore them!
OMG I KNOW YOU:uuh:

youngsister
02-17-2007, 11:22 PM
:sl: LoL seriously:uuh: :w:

AHMED_GUREY
02-18-2007, 12:19 AM
:sl: LoL ahmed, whos getting bullied? PSHHH:D
pshh lol just look around in the topic, multiple brothers and sisters traumatised for life :D

youngsister
02-18-2007, 03:56 PM
:sl: Traumatised? NaHH, we are just giving each other tips, strong brother/sisterhood thats all:):)

Books
02-18-2007, 05:27 PM
In somali things even masculine or feminine right?? just wanna double check.

habiibti
02-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Youngsister has used a trick that has helped me alot over da yrs.till couple of yrs ago,whenever old relatives come home,i would say Assalamu aleikum aniga fiican and run to ma room never to come out while they are still there.Then in 03 i made some new somali friends who didnt speak any english and we got to help each other.They would laugh at ma somali esp.wen they are story telling and i kept interrupting to ask for da meanings.Now i ma a pro alhamdulilah.

any tip that i can give is laugh abt it and try to learn as much as u can.hang out with somali speakers .I love listening to elders talk of their generations and lives so that helped alot.
u can do it people.

habiibti
02-23-2007, 03:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Books
In somali things even masculine or feminine right?? just wanna double check.
Yes most of stuff in somali has feminine and masculine aspect .sorry i cant think of any example :-[

Angel
02-24-2007, 07:53 PM
hahaah u guys r luky try being me, i never saw somali, im nt even all somali my mum is half n my da white i sooo do not understand or read or write
wen ppls ask me wah i am i hav no idea wah to say, soo hard wen ur different things, pple take da P******* its soo annoy,
once dis guy said to me dat i wasnt somalian n dat i was a wanabe god dat hurt iwas soo angry!!!!!!!!
but i learnt not to listen to pple maybe u guys shud do da same

AHMED_GUREY
02-25-2007, 05:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Angel
hahaah u guys r luky try being me, i never saw somali, im nt even all somali my mum is half n my da white i sooo do not understand or read or write
wen ppls ask me wah i am i hav no idea wah to say, soo hard wen ur different things, pple take da P******* its soo annoy,
once dis guy said to me dat i wasnt somalian n dat i was a wanabe god dat hurt iwas soo angry!!!!!!!!
hey your a Somali sister to me :muslimah: just brush them haters off :coolalien

Ar-RaYYan
02-27-2007, 11:20 PM
you are a somali to me too sis. why care what people thinks of you especially ignorants ones:rollseyes

mohammed farah
02-28-2007, 02:02 AM
"Youngsister has used a trick that has helped me alot over da yrs.till couple of yrs ago,whenever old relatives come home,i would say Assalamu aleikum aniga fiican and run to ma room never to come out while they are still there."

This is excactly what i do the minute reletives come to my house. They think im shy but im not. And also i dont even bother saying alakum salam unless im forced to come downstairs bu my mother.

Khaldun
02-28-2007, 04:26 PM

If you dont know somali usually it helps throwing in as many arabic words you know into the conversation trust me the adults wont mind a bit. Theyll praise you for speaking so good somali

youngsister
02-28-2007, 08:16 PM
:sl: ^So going to do that:D

Angel BrUsh TheM HateRz Off!
your my somali sister:)

Angel
03-02-2007, 06:57 PM
:sl: ^So going to do that:D

Angel BrUsh TheM HateRz Off!
your my somali sister:)
awww sis ur sweet i will do dat but it dunt help wen i dunt even look *madow* is dat hw u say it or write it i learned form some 1
guess wah it means without me teling u lol

youngsister
03-05-2007, 10:19 AM
:sl: Lol black:p I am getting there hehe
Sis dont worry so what? Many somalis dont even look black many look pakistani,some look typical lol.

At the end of the day be proud to be who you are plus many mixed people I met are all gorgeous Masha Allah (bet you are too:statisfie ).

Luv xx:w:

Angel
03-05-2007, 12:26 PM
:sl: Lol black:p I am getting there hehe
Sis dont worry so what? Many somalis dont even look black many look pakistani,some look typical lol.

At the end of the day be proud to be who you are plus many mixed people I met are all gorgeous Masha Allah (bet you are too:statisfie ).

Luv xx:w:

lol yeah i cnt say im gorgeaous cuz i wudnt no lol or if i say dat den i wud be vain lol :statisfie mayb we can help each other wit mali ,bet it wil be funny ,most words u pronounce different to english, its soo hard lol
n i havnt got mali relations so its even harder for me to practice ,my gran is da only 1 n she leaves in london now, my dad tried it once n he cudnt do it n me mum haa she is even worst dan me lol:giggling: :giggling: ;D
luky u ,u hav mali relations n ur fulll :statisfie masha allah sis u shud be proud
lol

DAWUD_adnan
03-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Wow lost of somali's ahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahha

se tihiin?

Angel
03-05-2007, 03:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DAWUD_adnan
Wow lost of somali's ahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahha

se tihiin?
hehehh bro i dunt no ,no mali lol
was dat mean??

Ar-RaYYan
03-05-2007, 06:30 PM
hehehh bro i dunt no ,no mali lol
was dat mean??
i think it means how are you :)

Ar-RaYYan
03-05-2007, 06:38 PM
lol yeah i cnt say im gorgeaous cuz i wudnt no lol or if i say dat den i wud be vain lol :statisfie mayb we can help each other wit mali ,bet it wil be funny ,most words u pronounce different to english, its soo hard lol
n i havnt got mali relations so its even harder for me to practice ,my gran is da only 1 n she leaves in london now, my dad tried it once n he cudnt do it n me mum haa she is even worst dan me lol:giggling: :giggling: ;D
luky u ,u hav mali relations n ur fulll :statisfie masha allah sis u shud be proud
lol
sis don't worry if u can't speak somali(well maybe u should worry a little bit :p ) coz this thread is for helping each other to improve our mother language.
just ask help and we will help u inshallah
n now wht is ur first question my dear :p

DAWUD_adnan
03-05-2007, 09:47 PM
so many somali's hahahaha love it

Angel
03-08-2007, 07:04 PM
so many somali's hahahaha love it
yeah malis n mixed malis dunt forgt mixed lol:statisfie so
hw do u say eye brow in somali

DAWUD_adnan
03-08-2007, 07:12 PM
baar,

P.S what do you mean with mixed?

Ashley
03-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Angel your somali wooww i didnt no , i fout u was white lol, sory im nt offending u am i sis, im just saying that cuz i never knew its amzing:statisfie
too bad u don't speak the language:)

Angel
03-08-2007, 07:14 PM
baar,

P.S what do you mean with mixed?
i mean we r nt al somalians im nt ,im mixed lol

Angel
03-08-2007, 07:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ashley
Angel your somali wooww i didnt no , i fout u was white lol, sory im nt offending u am i sis, im just saying that cuz i never knew its amzing:statisfie
too bad u don't speak the language:)
lol sis im nt offended n yes i dunt look like mali dats wah its so annoying pple mistake me for white or arab but im past caring , im proud to be quater mali
n its awful nt knowing da languge of my granparents! its a shame dat y im trying to learn it now!!

amirah_87
03-08-2007, 07:21 PM

sorry to cut in here.. :D

but baar = eyebrow? I did not know that! .. is there another word for it!?

Angel
03-08-2007, 07:25 PM

sorry to cut in here.. :D

but baar = eyebrow? I did not know that! .. is there another word for it!?
hehehe sis i wudnt no bt myb bro might help since he seems to no alot of somalian masha allah

DAWUD_adnan
03-08-2007, 07:27 PM
i mean we r nt al somalians im nt ,im mixed lol
ow okay

amirah_87
03-08-2007, 07:32 PM
hehehe sis i wudnt no bt myb bro might help since he seems to no alot of somalian masha allah
Lol .. i might be confusin it with eyelashes though, im not too sureee!! :blind:

if someone can help out here it's much appreciated! :heated:

thanx for tryin to help Angel! :D

Angel
03-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Lol .. i might be confusin it with eyelashes though, im not too sureee!! :blind:

if someone can help out here it's much appreciated! :heated:

thanx for tryin to help Angel! :D
sure sis we can both help each other
do u no alot of somali or r u just like me *hopin dat ur* lol im evil bt if all of u lot no malis den i wil feel left out :statisfie

amirah_87
03-08-2007, 07:55 PM

Lol sis .. I dont know much somali no *there, you got what you wanted*
I lost hope in learnin it aages ago because it's too hard! *well for me it is* :muddlehea but i wish to learn it inshaAllah.

good thing is, when im stuck i jus add a few bits n' bobs of arabic here and there.. then people think you're pro or sumthin' :D

Ar-RaYYan
03-08-2007, 11:06 PM

Lol sis .. I dont know much somali no *there, you got what you wanted*
I lost hope in learnin it aages ago because it's too hard! *well for me it is* :muddlehea but i wish to learn it inshaAllah.

good thing is, when im stuck i jus add a few bits n' bobs of arabic here and there.. then people think you're pro or sumthin' :D
sis what are doing this supposed to be a secret :omg: :p
anywaz i never knew eyebrow was called baar:? or is it?

Umm Yoosuf
03-09-2007, 03:54 AM

anywaz i never knew eyebrow was called baar
I've never used that term either. Ain't they called sooniyal (mind my spelling lol)

DAWUD_adnan
03-09-2007, 07:03 AM
eyebrows, are baararka eybrow is baarka( the eybrow literally).

amirah_87
03-09-2007, 09:27 AM

I've never used that term either. Ain't they called sooniyal (mind my spelling lol)

Yeaah that's the one I know of!

Baar sounds like a mole or them spot things :giggling:

they're probably different dialects or somethin' :)

youngsister
03-09-2007, 11:43 AM
:sl: LoL amirah yea thats what I though isnt baar a mole? :? :w:

Ar-RaYYan
03-09-2007, 11:47 PM

thats right sis i use that term too and i use baar for a mole

MuslimahBlue
03-10-2007, 04:20 AM

yep ive never heard of baar i alwaysthough eyebrows were sooniyoo (excuse spelling) like you said.

DAWUD_adnan
03-10-2007, 09:09 AM
:sl: yeah, Bar, with one A would be a mole, thats right

but, when u say Baararka (with two A's),it means the eyebrows:D

Angel
03-12-2007, 06:43 PM
:sl: yeah, Bar, with one A would be a mole, thats right

but, when u say Baararka (with two A's),it means the eyebrows:D
hw do u pronounce it ,do u say it like english or differently:)

Ar-RaYYan
03-14-2007, 12:10 AM
hw do u pronounce it ,do u say it like english or differently:)
well if u mean this word then u just pronounce like english. But some of the somali words can't be pronouced like in english -i.e xaaji or xamdi are pronouced different in somali.

edil
03-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Masha'allah I never knew we had so many somali members on the forum well the best way you can learn and keep your somali is by practicing to speak it my arabic teacher always says to learn a language you have to try speaking it then it will come loose so brother speak it more and be around people who speak it often. Most of us are shy of even claiming that we know our language but we have to show our identity but put our religion first. Khayr ayaan nii ee rajeneya walalayaal.... please dont mind my spelling wallahi am learning too.

Angel
03-14-2007, 07:30 AM
can u guys like teach me basic mali,
lol i only kno rude words frm some pple i no ,n i cnt even rite wah dey r , i forgt lol

Israa
03-14-2007, 06:35 PM
U R not much of a Somali to me:D LOL
i am only joking walaal, Be proud and U R not a wannabe unless u consider urself to be one:D

salaam
p.s. don't worry of not being able to read or write Somali, i am pretty bad too.

Ar-RaYYan
03-14-2007, 10:06 PM
can u guys like teach me basic mali,
lol i only kno rude words frm some pple i no ,n i cnt even rite wah dey r , i forgt lol
sis u better not or u will be in trouble with the mods:raging:
anywaz sis c'mon we will inshallah help u like many of us already said to u. start asking questions.....

Angel
03-15-2007, 06:27 PM
my name is
i ,love you
where are u going
mum
dad
sis
bro
gran
eyes
blue
nose
mouth
lips
teeth
language

i fink dats it for a while cnt tak more dan dat lol
hop u cn translate:) :statisfie

Ar-RaYYan
03-15-2007, 06:55 PM
sis, i'm going to try to translate these, but u must excuse my spellings :-[
(ps u do know how 'c', 'x', 'q' are prounouced in somali, right?just like in arabic ok?)
my name is
"Maga'y wa..."
i ,love you
"Waan Ku Ja'lahay"
where are u going
'xa gee adasa'
mum
'hooyo'
dad
'aabe'
sis
aabayo
bro
aabowo
gran
ayeeye
eyes
indo
blue
i'm not sure about this word.. i call it bloog:-[
nose
'san'
mouth
'aaf'
lips
'mushimu'
teeth'
'ilko'
language
'loogad'

hop u cn translate:) :statisfie[/QUOTE]

hibah786
03-15-2007, 07:36 PM
salamzz every1 i have exactly the same problem my somali is not dat gd i can speak it but my volcabulary is not good neither is my grammer so i wonder is there any websites 2 help learn it properly n plus same with arabic my grammer is not right neither is my volcabulary wa alaikum salam fi aman allah

Angel
03-16-2007, 07:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
sis, i'm going to try to translate these, but u must excuse my spellings :-[
(ps u do know how 'c', 'x', 'q' are prounouced in somali, right?just like in arabic ok?)
my name is
"Maga'y wa..."
i ,love you
"Waan Ku Ja'lahay"
where are u going
'xa gee adasa'
mum
'hooyo'
dad
'aabe'
sis
aabayo
bro
aabowo
gran
ayeeye
eyes
indo
blue
i'm not sure about this word.. i call it bloog:-[
nose
'san'
mouth
'aaf'
lips
'mushimu'
teeth'
'ilko'
language
'loogad'

hop u cn translate:) :statisfie
[/QUOTE]

fanks sis ,:) fink dat wil help for a while if i cn rember!! lol

amirah_87
03-16-2007, 09:28 AM

Lips = Mushimu , sounds japanese dunnit? (no offense people)

I never knew that! hmm..

Thanx for that & BaarakAllaahu feeki for helpin the sister out. :)

Angel's I woul'dve helped you but!! ... Y'know!! :hiding:

Angel
03-16-2007, 06:27 PM

Lips = Mushimu , sounds japanese dunnit? (no offense people)

I never knew that! hmm..

Thanx for that & BaarakAllaahu feeki for helpin the sister out. :)

Angel's I woul'dve helped you but!! ... Y'know!! :hiding:

lol:giggling: i no ur jus lik me *jumps happily*:statisfie
at least im nt da only 1 hu dnt no hw 2 write lol

Khaldun
03-18-2007, 03:11 PM

Correct me if Im wrong but isnt it Bishimu? maybe its different dialects?

DAWUD_adnan
03-18-2007, 03:45 PM
we say faruuryo not bushimo i dont know either it must be dialects

Angel
03-18-2007, 03:54 PM
whoa wait ur confusing me dere is two ways of sayin lips:?
oki:rollseyes so which one is it fururyo like u say or bushimo or mushimo:?
u guys which one is it plz try nt to confuse , i dunt speak da language remeber can gt a bit messy for me if i dunt no da right one

amirah_87
03-18-2007, 04:42 PM

Yeah, I'm familiar with that one too..

Oooh is it Bushimo now? :eek: lol

Hmm I jus remembered.. are'nt they also called "Dibno" aswell? .. that's the one which im most familiar with. :)

whoa wait ur confusing me dere is two ways of sayin lips
oki so which one is it fururyo like u say or bushimo or mushimo
u guys which one is it plz try nt to confuse , i dunt speak da language remeber can gt a bit messy for me if i dunt no da right one
Yeah sis, i'm guessing its jus different dialects :)

u can use either.

Angel
03-18-2007, 05:10 PM

Yeah, I'm familiar with that one too..

Oooh is it Bushimo now? :eek: lol

Hmm I jus remembered.. are'nt they also called "Dibno" aswell? .. that's the one which im most familiar with. :)

Yeah sis, i'm guessing its jus different dialects :)

u can use either.

wooow sis dats soo cool in english lips is just lips no other way of sayin it :statisfie so if i use any 1 of dem pple wil no wat im saying right ,its correct rigtht all of them?

amirah_87
03-18-2007, 05:15 PM
wooow sis dats soo cool in english lips is just lips no other way of sayin it :statisfie so if i use any 1 of dem pple wil no wat im saying right ,its correct rigtht all of them?

Well if they're like us sis, and they dont have a clue of what's what then they might not get it! :p

You jus might have to go through the list to see which one they're most familair with. Lol :D

Angel
03-18-2007, 05:17 PM

Well if they're like us sis, and they dont have a clue of what's what then they might not get it! :p

You jus might have to go through the list to see which one they're most familair with. Lol :D
lol:giggling:wil do if i can rember any 1 of them!!!!!
sis tel me are all somalians da same i mean they speak da same language right?

amirah_87
03-18-2007, 05:26 PM

Lol!!

All somalis speak somali but depending on where you're from your likely to speak the dialect of that place.

And i think with the dialects it's just a change or two in some words.. its not like a complete different thing, if you get what i mean.

Ar-RaYYan
03-19-2007, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Khaldun

Correct me if Im wrong but isnt it Bishimu? maybe its different dialects?
brother, you are corect there. I never realised that i wrote 'mushimu' :phew i actually meant 'bishimu' , sorry guys my mistake. :-[

MinAhlilHadeeth
03-19-2007, 04:36 PM
:salamext:

Sis Ar-RaYYan, which part of Somalia do you come from? If you don't mind me asking.:) Because where I come from, we say 'bishimu' aswell.

DAWUD_adnan
03-19-2007, 04:58 PM
it farooryo for me, im from Mogadisu Xamar, born in Karaan

Ar-RaYYan
03-19-2007, 06:01 PM
'karaan' hmm:? is it some where in Xamar? i have never heard of it. (maybe because i have never been Xamar :rollseyes lol)

Angel
03-19-2007, 07:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ar-RaYYan
'karaan' hmm:? is it some where in Xamar? i have never heard of it. (maybe because i have never been Xamar :rollseyes lol)
lol heheh:giggling: sis can u tel me all da parts in somali if u no dem or bro im very interested sounds nice place
bt there is war or somefink right

Angel
03-19-2007, 08:00 PM
bro were u born in somali, hw long were u dere sory if im asking to much just wana no , if u been to somali can u tel me hw it looks lik

MinAhlilHadeeth
03-19-2007, 08:28 PM

Ok, sorry I took the thread off-topic.:) Please get back on topic now inshaAllah.

AHMED_GUREY
03-20-2007, 12:01 AM
bro were u born in somali, hw long were u dere sory if im asking to much just wana no , if u been to somali can u tel me hw it looks lik

DAWUD_adnan
03-20-2007, 12:19 AM
I as born in Karaan, i lived in Xamar till i was about 5 or six (cant remember)
and there is some bad stuff i dont want t remember but i still do remember good times like how i used to go to the beach each frday and eat different kinds of fish! even seaturtles!, (i didnt eat them my unlce did)
lived there til i was like 5 years old,

http://www.somalitalk.com/2006/mar/xamar6.jpg
(mind you, this pic is very oldsomewhere around1987 or something)

Angel
03-20-2007, 07:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY
oooh wooow somali is beautifull my god way beter dan england it has nice buildings:statisfie

DAWUD_adnan
03-20-2007, 07:33 AM
oooh wooow somali is beautifull my god way beter dan england it has nice buildings:statisfie

here is some more pics
http://www.swan.ac.uk/cds/rd/peterbrown.htm

Angel
03-20-2007, 06:37 PM
ooooooooooooooooooooo wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
oh my god its beautiful:ooh: :ooh:
i soo wana go dere now lol
is it still da same though, i mean has it changed since den

MinAhlilHadeeth
03-20-2007, 06:45 PM

Sorry, wasn't the original topic learning how to speak Somali? Please get back on topic.:)

Angel
03-20-2007, 06:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm 'Abdullah

Sorry, wasn't the original topic learning how to speak Somali? Please get back on topic.:)
soory sis :statisfie i gues im very interest in somalia bt i wil gt bak on topic , sorry if i went off topic won't do it again:) :)

MinAhlilHadeeth
03-20-2007, 07:56 PM

Feel free to start a thread in general chat about it.:)

Maimunah
03-30-2007, 09:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm 'Abdullah

Feel free to start a thread in general chat about it.:)
leave the girl alone man:blind:

umm-sulaim
04-12-2007, 11:22 AM
how would you all translate this: bal talow (dunno if i'm spellin it right)

wassalaam

youngsister
04-12-2007, 07:17 PM
:sl: :? I am not sure if the spelling is right but I think...
is dont you dare touch it.
If is wrong pretend is right:)
Save myself the embaressment:-[
:D :w:

umm-sulaim
04-12-2007, 07:30 PM
walykum salaam,

yh i dunno bout the spellin either sis...but it's something sentences are started with , like 'bal talow maanta jum3a miyaa?' like that...lolz, this is how i know it to be used,

jazaaki Allahu khayran sis!

wassalaam

Umm Yoosuf
04-19-2007, 10:32 PM
^^^

Who speaks like that today?! loq

nurul3eyn
04-19-2007, 10:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
'bal talow maanta jum3a miyaa?'
wassalaam
oh is it friday today (you use this when you not sure)

lol i dont know how to put it in the exact words but you get what i mean inshallah

Umm Yoosuf
04-19-2007, 10:44 PM
I don't think it has a tanslation, it is more of an expression if you ask me :?

amirah_87
04-20-2007, 08:27 AM
^^^

Who speaks like that today?! loq
Lol..

I agree it's more of an expression, I'm trying to think so hard for the nearest english translation of it possible, but i just can't. :heated:

yussufmo
04-29-2007, 08:54 PM
somali braap are you landers or xamriz? same thing anywayz

Umm Yoosuf
04-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaah

Does it matter? We are all Muslims Alhamdulilaah :)

yahia12
04-30-2007, 01:14 AM
I can few words in somalian, wurya kale, is famous anyone somali here? :)

yussufmo
04-30-2007, 12:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Serdar
I can few words in somalian, wurya kale, is famous anyone somali here? :)
yeahh im somali bruv

yahia12
04-30-2007, 10:00 PM
hehe masallaah i know many somalians. i like them very much :)

how you say in somalian: " i love somalians" :D

AHMED_GUREY
04-30-2007, 10:12 PM
hehe masallaah i know many somalians. i like them very much :)

how you say in somalian: " i love somalians" :D
''Somalida waan jeclahay'':) where you from bro?

yahia12
04-30-2007, 10:15 PM
i am from Kurdistan. :)

thanks let me say it---''Somalida waan jeclahay'' :D hehe i love somalians man they nice people.

AHMED_GUREY
04-30-2007, 10:18 PM
cool bro:coolious: we love our Kurdish muslim brothers and sisters 2

if you want more words or sentences translated to Somali just say it

yussufmo
05-01-2007, 06:46 PM
i am from Kurdistan. :)

thanks let me say it---''Somalida waan jeclahay'' :D hehe i love somalians man they nice people.
sallam bro how do you say somalians and kurds rule? in your language??:D

yahia12
05-03-2007, 10:35 PM
hehehe salam my somalian brother :):) :)

we say: Her biji SOMALI U KURD!!! milleti yek girtin u ser xoyi =) :) :D

wasalaaam

:D i LOVVEE SOMALIS :)

MuslimahMuminah
06-04-2007, 11:19 AM
A-Salam, Ohh Somali isn't as hard as many other languages. Most words are written how it's pronounced. Personally, I was born outside Somalia, my mother is from the Ethiopian region and I learnt the alphabet, Somaligaan qoraayo waa ka yaabee. It's easy, just learn the alphabet and you'll find yourself learning it before you know it, Insha'allah!:)

Somalina
06-11-2007, 11:31 PM
^Haa
No one taught me how to read/write it,,but I've always spoken it fluently,,Subxanallah we should be greatful,,Alxamdullilah Indeed.It is easy.Read what you see.write what you pronounce:thumbs_up .
Few years ago I wrote a letter and my mother was most pleased:D

Long live Somalia

habiibti
06-12-2007, 02:32 AM
^^^^ First time i wrote a letter in somali,abt 10 yrs ago,was da most horrible grammar ever.i kept inserting english and kiswahili words in it.:statisfie

But now i can definately write well thanks to some good friends of mine.

MuslimahMuminah
06-12-2007, 08:30 AM
A-Salam, Lol yeah I find myself saying words like "playgareynayaa" or "buygareynayaa" and people back home don't understand. I guess we're so accustomed to speaking English here, it's become our language. But yeah, my relatives always think I have one of my parents next to me if I write in Somali. Habiibti, my mum whose been here for 18 years, does the same thing! So no sweat. :)

youngsister
06-13-2007, 03:57 PM
:sl: You sisters are making it sound soooo easy :-[ :w:

Somalina
06-13-2007, 05:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by habiibti
^^^^ First time i wrote a letter in somali,abt 10 yrs ago,was da most horrible grammar ever.i kept inserting english and kiswahili words in it.:statisfie
But now i can definately write well thanks to some good friends of mine.
Put a halt to your deadly revelations before I tell you off:X
Youngsister-It is,,remember one rule,,don't take it seriously:D ,,start with something like
'You know what my macalin did today...':thumbs_up lool,,and in time you'll have a degree

amirah_87
06-13-2007, 05:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by MuslimahMuminah
A-Salam, Lol yeah I find myself saying words like "playgareynayaa" or "buygareynayaa" and people back home don't understand. I guess we're so accustomed to speaking English here, it's become our language.
Lol at the "gareynayaa" lingo, I honeslty thought only my sisters and I spoke that!

Nice to see it's being spoken on the other side of the world too. :p ;D

My somali rocks anyhow! I don't care what the grannies say! :shade:

habiibti
06-14-2007, 12:24 AM
:sl: You sisters are making it sound soooo easy :-[ :w:
It is not hard at all sis,u just write what u hear or u can repeat to urself while trying to write. Most confusing part for me was da double letters like aa uu and oo. i didnt know when to use and when not to use. After few embarassing episodes,i got da hang of it.

but i still dont write in Somalia unless i have to:phew

MuslimahMuminah
06-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Lol at the "gareynayaa" lingo, I honeslty thought only my sisters and I spoke that!

Nice to see it's being spoken on the other side of the world too. :p ;D

My somali rocks anyhow! I don't care what the grannies say! :shade:

A-Salam, Lol, yup us Aussie's use it too!:D It's hilarious though. When I went to Somalia for the first time in 2004, I used it without even realising the people around me didn't understand and they'd fall into a fit of laughter. Anyways, ii soo duceeya I have 8 chapters to study for my Biology exam tomorrow morning, about 200 pages :exhausted Waa soo studygareynaa lol!

nasreen
06-14-2007, 06:08 PM
salaam to alll of you,

to be honest u guys made me laugh is a good way. i was born in dubai and never been to somali. and had no somali friends.
been to somali around 1998. i was terrorised left and right. my somali was not really bad but thay had to pick on me.:-[

then i moved to uk about 2002. made lots of non somali friends and lost all the somali bit i know.
but hey somali Dictionary to the rescue.

i am telling u it saved me when we had a big family gathering. they could not belive how good my somali was and still is as they know all my friends are non somali AND I DON'T SPEAK THAT MUCH SOMALI AT HOME.

SO MY ADVISE TO ALL MY SOMALI BROTHER AND SISTER
GET THE FROM ENGLISH TO SOMALI DICTIONARY
IT WILL HELP U LOTS ESPECIALY IF SOME OF U LOT R GOING TO SOMALI.:statisfie

amirah_87
06-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Wa alaykum as salaam to you Nasreen,

That's great advice sis. :statisfie

I too have a dictionary like that, but I don't know where it has gotten to.

AHMED_GUREY
06-15-2007, 03:46 PM
:D :sl:

English....Japanese....Somali..

(Yes)......Hai.....Ha..

(Don't know)...Wakaranai.....Magaranaye..

(Giraffe)....Kirin.....Girrin

(Mother).....Hahaoya......Hooyo

(Gone)........Takai.....Tagay

(Silent).......Musei......Amuuse

:D :w:

umm-sulaim
06-15-2007, 03:55 PM
lolz subhana Allaah i always used to say the one about wakaranai it sounds like wangaranaya and ha, but i didn't know bout the other ones, maasha'Allaah, shukran.

AHMED_GUREY
06-15-2007, 04:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by umm-sulaim
lolz subhana Allaah i always used to say the one about wakaranai it sounds like wangaranaya and ha, but i didn't know bout the other ones, maasha'Allaah, shukran.
:sl: i will look for more:D :w:

smile
06-21-2007, 08:19 PM
WaRia (however you spell it)

AHMED_GUREY
07-01-2007, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by smile
WaRia (however you spell it)
Waryaaaaaaaaa is here:D

Nuseyba bintkab
07-15-2007, 02:46 PM
i can speak somali but can not read or wright it i wish to lrean soon

Samiira
07-24-2007, 08:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Nuseyba bintkab
i can speak somali but can not read or wright it i wish to lrean soon

:sl: sis,

Somali language is not that difficult really. Insha Allah you will learn it.
It took me to learn finnish language for 5 years :blind: compare to that somali is much easier.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.