Even if it means
Catching diseases
Loss of honour and respect
And being caught by the family

Author: Showkotali@hotmail.com

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
thirdwatch512
02-07-2007, 10:44 PM
saint valentine was a devout christian who defended love. it's not a pagan holiday.

the catholic church has lots of different feasts for a saint or something. and february 14th was the feast for saint valentine. hence, that's why valentines day is on february 14th!

deen_2007
02-07-2007, 11:06 PM
a beutyful poem.......

valentines pointless........y dnt we instead, just spread love evryday?.....

Maidah
02-07-2007, 11:27 PM
hmmm ok firstly please correct me if i'm wrong in saying any of this but the story i've heard about valentines day is, cut short:

That St.Valentine was a priest. He took an oath that to give up everything and devote his entire life to God and the church, this includes not falling in love or getting married. But then one day comes a long a beautiful women and he falls in love with her. On one side he is in love and on the other he is under an oath to God (and presumably the church was very strict about this in that time). Conclusion is that he choose love over the commitment to God (as they claimed back then) and valentines day is celebrated to mark the victory of love, proclaiming it to be above everything.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
deen_2007
02-07-2007, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maidah
hmmm ok firstly please correct me if i'm wrong in saying any of this but the story i've heard about valentines day is, cut short:

That St.Valentine was a priest. He took an oath that to give up everything and devote his entire life to God and the church, this includes not falling in love or getting married. But then one day comes a long a beautiful women and he falls in love with her. On one side he is in love and on the other he is under an oath to God (and presumably the church was very strict about this in that time). Conclusion is that he choose love over the commitment to God (as they claimed back then) and valentines day is celebrated to mark the victory of love, proclaiming it to be above everything.
yeah thats what i heard too....well if this is true...then shouldnt christians be angry at him for choosing love over lord?

Maidah
02-07-2007, 11:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by deen_2007
yeah thats what i heard too....well if this is true...then shouldnt christians be angry at him for choosing love over lord?
True sis, but i guess nowdays this is the main topic in all holly and bollywood movies. I wouldn't say all but some people see love as the absolute force that has the potential to drive a person completely, no other source required. it seems like ''the'' true thing, makes it all look so easy.

muslima06
02-08-2007, 06:28 AM
who care about valentines day...it matters only to those whose life has no meaning.

islamway
02-08-2007, 07:14 AM
THE PAGAN ORIGINS OF ST. VALENTINE’S DAY

Every community observes some festivals. The festivals fulfil a fundamental human need, and, hence a few days are set aside for rejoicing and entertainment. In Islam also two such days have been fixed, those of Eidul Fitr and Eidul Adha. These two holidays alone are the real religious and communal festivals of Muslims. Whatever is celebrated beside these two holidays has no religious basis at all. The following hadith is Narrated by Anas ibn Malik (RA):
When the Apostle of Allah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) came to Medina, the people had two special days in which they engaged in feasting and celebration. He asked: What are these two days (what is the significance)? They said: We used to engage ourselves on them in the pre-Islamic period. The Apostle of Allah (sallallahu alayhi wa sallam) said: Allah has substituted for them something better than them, the day of sacrifice and the day of the breaking of the fast.
With this hadith in front of us the question now is how can any Muslim with an atom’s weight of iman celebrate Christian and other unislamic holidays that are steeped in paganism? One of these being the upcoming holiday known as St. valentine’s day.
It is sad to see in this day and age people professing to be Muslim celebrating holidays that were started by pagans hundreds of years ago. The Catholic Church at first celebrated St. Valentine’s Day. Later it was taken off of the list of official church holidays. However St. Valentine is still regarded as a saint in the eyes of the church. Here in middleeast itself where islam is brought and also in other Muslim countries around the globe the fashion of celebrating this pagan holiday is taking hold. One sees in the newspaper advertisements for St. Valentine’s day.
How many of us really know the origin of this day? The pagans of Rome first celebrated it before Christianity came to that part of the world. All kinds of haraam activities are associated with this day. Clearly this is an event that any rational thinking Muslim will avoid. For the Muslim there are only two holidays (eidain) and no others. We are not in need of any others. The holy qur’an and the sunnat are replete with advise on who to love and how to love. We should not be following the ways of the ones who are destined for the hellfire.

The Origins of St. Valentine's Day
Although the mid-February holiday celebrating love and lovers remains wildly popular, the confusion over its origins led the Catholic Church, in 1969, to drop St. Valentine's Day from the Roman calendar of official, worldwide Catholic feasts. Some parishes, however, observe the feast of St. Valentine.
The roots of St. Valentine's Day lie in the ancient Roman festival of Lupercalia, which was celebrated on Feb. 15. For 800 years the Romans had dedicated this day to the god Lupercus. On Lupercalia, a young man would draw the name of a young woman in a lottery and would then keep the woman as a sexual companion for the year. Among the other equally despicable practices associated with this day was the lashing of young women by two young men, clad only in a bit of goatskin and wielding goatskin thongs, who had been smeared with the blood of sacrificial goats and dogs. A lash of the “sacred” thongs by these “holy men” was believed to make them better able to bear children.
Pope Gelasius I was, understandably, less than thrilled with this custom. So he changed the lottery to have both young men and women draw the names of saints whom they would then emulate for the year. Instead of Lupercus, the patron of the feast became Valentine. For Roman men, the day continued to be an occasion to seek the affections of women, and it became a tradition to give out handwritten messages of admiration that included Valentine's name.
Due to the serious troubles that accompanied such a lottery, the French government banned the practice in 1776. In Italy, Austria, Hungry, and Germany also the ritual vanished over the years. Earlier, it had been banned in England during the 17th century when the Puritans were strong. However in 1660 Charles II revived it.
Esther A. Howland produced the first commercial American Valentine’s Day cards in the 1840’s and sold $5,000 worth in the first year. The valentine industry has been booming ever since.
There was also a conventional belief in Europe during the Middle Ages that birds chose their partners in the middle of February. Thus the day was dedicated to love, and people observed it by writing love letters and sending small gifts to their beloved. Legend has it that Charles, duke of Orleans, sent the first real Valentine card to his wife in 1415, when he was imprisoned in the Tower of London. (He, however, was not beheaded, and died a half-century later of old age.)
The next time someone mentions something about celebrating this unislamic event, it is your duty to remind him that Islam was brought to eradicate paganism not support it.
May Allah the All-Mighty guide us all to His straight path! Ameen!

thirdwatch512
02-08-2007, 02:42 PM
there might be pagan origins, but these origins don't contradict Biblical teachings. and valentines day might have been a pagan holiday, but Saint Valentine defientely added a twist to it.

the kabaa is also pagan. rammadan is pagan. Eid is pagan. but they dont' contradict islamic teachings, which is why you guys still have those holidays.

Samira_01
02-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Jzk'Allahu Qayran 4 sharing :)

- Qatada -
02-13-2007, 01:45 PM
:salamext:

Ruling on Celebrating Valentines Day:
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?pg=...&article_id=83

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.