/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Bismillah and the Quran

jello
02-13-2007, 01:00 PM
:sl:

I would like to know the situation with respect to the formula "Bismillah Ar-Rahman ar-Raheem" and its place in the Quran.

As is known, there is difference of opinion as to whether "Bismillah" is part of all the Quranic Surahs, or part of Surah al-Fatihah only, or not part of the Quran at all. So some of the enemies of Islam have used this difference of opinion to attack Islam, and I would like to know the answer for this.

Insha Allah some of the knowledgeable brothers and sisters can help in this respect.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Emperor
02-15-2007, 02:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by jello

I would like to know the situation with respect to the formula "Bismillah Ar-Rahman ar-Raheem" and its place in the Quran.

As is known, there is difference of opinion as to whether "Bismillah" is part of all the Quranic Surahs, or part of Surah al-Fatihah only, or not part of the Quran at all. So some of the enemies of Islam have used this difference of opinion to attack Islam, and I would like to know the answer for this.

Insha Allah some of the knowledgeable brothers and sisters can help in this respect.
Muy understanding is that that phrase heads all of the suras in the Quran with the exception of sura nine.

Umar001
02-15-2007, 02:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by jello

Well what would you like answered?

Maybe if you can tell me what the 'enemies' of Islaam say then we can try to understand it better together insha'Allah.

I cannot imagine what they would say since whether it is or is not is hardly a grave matter.

Ibn Abi Ahmed
02-15-2007, 03:08 AM

It isn't a matter that can be used to claim attacks, those that do must really be desperate. Here is a general explanation from the Explanation of Aqeedah Al Wasatiyyah:
There is a controversy among the Ulama regarding Bismillah as to whether this is an initial verse of each Surah of the Qur'an or an independant verse on its own, which has been stated to mark the intermediate distances between the Surahs, and for blessing. The second opinion is preferred.

The Ulama are agreed that Bismillah is a part of the verse of Surah An-Naml (The Ant) and likewise they are agreed that Bismillah has been left out in the beginning of Surah At-Tauba (The Repentance) for this and the Surah Al-Anfal (The Spoils of War) occurring prior to it are both like one continous Surah.

http://www.islamicboard.com/365927-post2.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Emperor
02-15-2007, 03:18 AM
Either way, it has no major bearing on the substance of Islam.:):shade:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.