/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Consumption of alcohol in Muslims these days

abbas_ali
02-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Salaam all,

This is my first post and is spurred by i finding out a family friend drinks alcohol and my mum shouting at him last night about it. Does anyone else think this is becoming a serious problem in Islam? I knew muslims in turkey and some other middle eastern countries drank but until about 1 year ago i thought 99% of other muslims didn't. At university i have found and seen Muslims who drink and people tell me in Sharia law countries some Muslims drink behind closed doors.

Indeed, i know of muslims - here in the Uk who are not in my family but know my family, older men who drink occasionally but do not show it. I believe we should be fighting for Palestine, Iraq, Afghanistan and Chechna etc. as well as islamophobia but i believe we need to get our own house in order if you will. I am very scared what this means for Muslims. One study found 1/3 of american muslims had a drink in the last 6 months. I know it is america but the figure is still very high and approx. 3000 alcohol or off-sales shops are own by Arabs.

For me this is truly shocking and frightening. What does everyone else think?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Kittygyal
02-14-2007, 12:02 PM
salamualikum.
first of all welcome to the site akhi && need help or anything don't be 'lazy' to ask inshallah :D

now to your question, i am going to behonest && put me own personal veiws alhamdulillah i have converted to Islam, && when i was a christain i used to drink at the age of 11 i used to hang out with dudes that are older than me kinda like a *tom-boy* i was then since i came to UK i haven't seen many muslims drinking in UK than U.S because i was born in US alhamdulillah && living there i ahve seen many muslims drinking Alcohol.
we see nowadays now aswel many little dudes/etts drinking alcohol behind park bars && whats so not but why foul your self allah suabwhnatallah is watching so at the end of the day if they get away with it NOW in this duniya remember one thing they will not get away with in Akhirah!

i ALWAYS think to my self how come muslims drinking Alcohol don't understand that it's Haram (Forbidden) is Islam even now i THINK that but what can i do akhi we can't go around stopping them obviously there NOT going to listen to us, so all we can do is do dua'ah inshallah

there are many peeps whom drink just to act as if there higher than ever well they wana look higher than everyone but what role model are they showing of a muslim? they will be judged by the ALMIGHTY allah suabwhnatallah! so let him be the judger && punishe's them on the Day of Judgement.
Ma'assalama

Malaikah
02-14-2007, 12:09 PM
:sl:

I was disgusted to discover that many Muslims drink... absolutely disgusted.

Seriously, what next? It is just really sad...

Kittygyal
02-14-2007, 12:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

I was disgusted to discover that many Muslims drink... absolutely disgusted.

Seriously, what next? It is just really sad...
salamualikum.
i know ukthi it's very sad indeed, what impression are they showing of muslim? imsad imsad

but but may i ask is smoking okay or is that bad??
Ma'assalama

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Malaikah
02-14-2007, 12:13 PM

Smoking is haram, (some say it is only disliked, but they seem to have the weaker opinion of the two) but it isn't anywhere near as haram as alcohol!

AHMED_GUREY
02-14-2007, 12:14 PM
I chased my younger cousin once for 5 1/2 blocks straight till i catch him( he was fasssssttt) because i spotted him drinking

Some kids are confused and some think it's cool and most like my cousin will eventually turn around insha-allah, the danger really lies in what damage they cause on other people when there intoxicated with that garbage

groups that hang in corners always have a bad influence on young teenagers

Malaikah
02-14-2007, 12:17 PM
^But then you have entire families who permit drinking, and ignorant people who actually think it is halal!

:uuh:

Kittygyal
02-14-2007, 12:18 PM

Smoking is haram, (some say it is only disliked, but they seem to have the weaker opinion of the two) but it isn't anywhere near as haram as alcohol!
salamualikum.

okay inshallah, but seriously whats the YOUTH turning into these days :cry: , May Allah suabhwnatallah lead them all to the right path && shine thy light upon them inshalah allah azwajl, amin
Ma'assalama

TABS19
02-14-2007, 12:22 PM
I know many Muslims that smoke, but have been told that it is Haram. My brother-in-law quoted from the Quran where it is written about not to consume things that are harmful to you.

But spend not wastefully (your wealth) in the manner of a spendthrift, Verily, spendthrifts are brothers of the devils, and the Devil (Satan) is ever ungrateful to his Lord. (Quran 17/26-27) Why waste money on sticks that will end up causes a whole load of health issues.

Many religions forbid alcohol, but I always thought Muslims were best at up-holding this as I rarely saw a Muslim go for a "drink" after work. However, I have to admit it seems to be a growing trend, more so with women behind closed doors.

Kittygyal
02-14-2007, 12:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by AHMED_GUREY
I chased my younger cousin once for 5 1/2 blocks straight till i catch him( he was fasssssttt) because i spotted him drinking

Some kids are confused and some think it's cool and most like my cousin will eventually turn around insha-allah, the danger really lies in what damage they cause on other people when there intoxicated with that garbage

salamualikum.
but but akhi all of the family is called a bad name then imsad

like ALL of me family/jounarsions they drink obviously they are ALL christains my own brothers,sisterinalaws, even my aunts etc etc MY OWN NEPHEW who is 11 goes to 'lotto' goes there where there are twice as older than him he goes with his mates && drinks etc etc but i told him of once but he never listens to me (then again he is a christain, bound to not listen to me :cry: )

its really hard for me because when ever i just sit either me brother or someone just get a bottle of Laga out of fridge && asks me ''do you want one''? am like no i don't want it i ALWAYS make an excuse for not drinking it even like what they eat ham,Bacon when we sit down && eat i always say to them am not hungry yet, ya allah! how long am i going to hide this for :'( :'( imsad

Ma'assalama

Woodrow
02-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Nearly every religion either forbids the consumption of alcohol or limits the amount.

Sadly, there are people in every religion that want to make their own rules.

The fact that some Muslims drink alcohol is not a failing of Islam, it is simply one of the results of us having free will. If you put a sign on a wall that says "Wet Paint" there will always be people who will touch the wall to see if the paint is wet. So it is with alcohol, we can write on the bottle "Hellfire if consumuned" and there will be those who will not be satisfied without personaly trying it.

AHMED_GUREY
02-14-2007, 12:49 PM
^But then you have entire families who permit drinking, and ignorant people who actually think it is halal!

:uuh:
i agree sometimes culture takes over wether it's the indigineous one or the foreign..imsad

format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salamualikum.
but but akhi all of the family is called a bad name then imsad

like ALL of me family/jounarsions they drink obviously they are ALL christains my own brothers,sisterinalaws, even my aunts etc etc MY OWN NEPHEW who is 11 goes to 'lotto' goes there where there are twice as older than him he goes with his mates && drinks etc etc but i told him of once but he never listens to me (then again he is a christain, bound to not listen to me :cry: )

its really hard for me because when ever i just sit either me brother or someone just get a bottle of Laga out of fridge && asks me ''do you want one''? am like no i don't want it i ALWAYS make an excuse for not drinking it even like what they eat ham,Bacon when we sit down && eat i always say to them am not hungry yet, ya allah! how long am i going to hide this for :'( :'( imsad

Ma'assalama
You are one of the strongest sisters i have come across on the net, please stay the way you are and continue being strong and let nobody take away what's most dear to you or influence you or force you to do something you don't want

your an inspiration sister i mean it stay strong in your deen!

Kittygyal
02-14-2007, 12:52 PM
i agree sometimes culture takes over wether it's the indigineous one or the foreign..imsad

You are one of the strongest sisters i have come across on the net, please stay the way you are and continue being strong and let nobody take away what's most dear to you or influence you or force you to do something you don't want

your an inspiration sister i mean it stay strong in your deen!
salamualikum.
inshallah akhi, am NOT going to let anyone come in between me && the ALIMGHTY.
Ma'assalama

AHMED_GUREY
02-14-2007, 12:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal
salamualikum.
inshallah akhi, am NOT going to let anyone come in between me && the ALIMGHTY.
Ma'assalama
Masha-allah:shade:

syilla
02-14-2007, 02:17 PM

MashaAllah great stamina you have there. :D

Here, we even have rules on muslims caught drinking. But they still drink. :muddlehea

I remember my ex-boss who was a drinker and he is a muslim. He used to be a billionaire but because of alcohol, he lost everything. Now he is a a 65 years old alcoholic guy. (He will start shaking starting from 8a.m if he didn't have a drink) From what i've heard, he started drinking when he went studying overseas and comeback became a habit. :uuh:

Hope this will be a lesson to all. InshaAllah.

TABS19
02-14-2007, 02:35 PM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I read that wine will be offered in heaven?

Woodrow
02-14-2007, 02:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TABS19
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I read that wine will be offered in heaven?
That is true and there will be rivers of it. Read the ayyats carefully:

47:15. (Here is) a Parable of the Garden which the righteous are promised: in it are rivers of water incorruptible; rivers of milk of which the taste never changes; rivers of wine, a joy to those who drink; and rivers of honey pure and clear. In it there are for them all kinds of fruits; and Grace from their Lord. (Can those in such Bliss) be compared to such as shall dwell for ever in the Fire, and be given, to drink, boiling water, so that it cuts up their bowels (to pieces)? S P C

Yusuf Ali's Quran Translation

76:21. Upon them will be green Garments of fine silk and heavy brocade, and they will be adorned with Bracelets of silver; and their Lord will give to them to drink of a Wine Pure and Holy. S P C

83:25. Their thirst will be slaked with Pure Wine sealed: S P C

We do know that it will be a Holy and Pure wine, not like what our earthly wine is. We do know that wine is forbidden to us here on Earth. But, Heaven is not Earth. We do not know what joys we will have and only have partial glimpses of what awaits us. We do not need to know the specifics or the hows and whys. We only need to know that the greatest pleasure we can think of are negligable compared to what heaven has to offer.

TABS19
02-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks Woodrow.

I suppose I'm merely thinking on the lines of alcohol here on earth and how it has destroyed lives. I just couldn't see how it was forbidden on earth and not in heaven. I see heaven as pure without the need of any intoxicants, but your post has made it clear.

Woodrow
02-14-2007, 03:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TABS19
Thanks Woodrow.

I suppose I'm merely thinking on the lines of alcohol here on earth and how it has destroyed lives. I just couldn't see how it was forbidden on earth and not in heaven. I see heaven as pure without the need of any intoxicants, but your post has made it clear.
That is all true. Heaven is all purity and of a joy that we can not comprehend. That is why it is specificaly stated that the wine of heaven will be Pure and Holy. That does not sound like it will be the intoxicant we have here on earth.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.