/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Student Loans and Islam

Confucius
02-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Salamualikum people...
i have a question that has been bugging me for aages...and i cnt seem to find the answer to it....id be v.greatful if any of you guys can help me....but i need a professional fatwa...not opinion....if thats possible ...

nwy...i wanted to know if its justified taking out tuition fee loans to pay for your education....i mean what if you die before your debt is repaid...do we go hell for it?? but the contract for such loans is u pay back only if u earn above a certain sum..like 15K ...and if after 25 yrs u hvnt paid it back it gets cancelled....and if you die it obviously gets cancelled...

being a girl....i wanted to know im i justified in taking such a loan...the problem is my family werent rly bothered about the ifs and buts of it...im in my 1st year working towards a pharmacy degree....and being the questioner i am i keep thinking shud i rly be getting this education?? afterall il be in 12k debt at the end of it...minimum!

isha'allah nxt yr il be able to pay off my loans by the help of my brothers....but i think this Q is important one for every student to ask themselfs...and so far i hvnt really found an answer...

or is it it okay to get in debt as long as your intention is to pay it back??

the the idea of dropping out of uni has occured to me....but everyone i know is against it! grrrr

nwy help wud be appreciated..
jazakallah..

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Erundur
02-17-2007, 08:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nuj
Salamualikum people...
i have a question that has been bugging me for aages...and i cnt seem to find the answer to it....id be v.greatful if any of you guys can help me....but i need a professional fatwa...not opinion....if thats possible ...

nwy...i wanted to know if its justified taking out tuition fee loans to pay for your education....i mean what if you die before your debt is repaid...do we go hell for it?? but the contract for such loans is u pay back only if u earn above a certain sum..like 15K ...and if after 25 yrs u hvnt paid it back it gets cancelled....and if you die it obviously gets cancelled...

being a girl....i wanted to know im i justified in taking such a loan...the problem is my family werent rly bothered about the ifs and buts of it...im in my 1st year working towards a pharmacy degree....and being the questioner i am i keep thinking shud i rly be getting this education?? afterall il be in 12k debt at the end of it...minimum!

isha'allah nxt yr il be able to pay off my loans by the help of my brothers....but i think this Q is important one for every student to ask themselfs...and so far i hvnt really found an answer...

or is it it okay to get in debt as long as your intention is to pay it back??

the the idea of dropping out of uni has occured to me....but everyone i know is against it! grrrr

nwy help wud be appreciated..
jazakallah..
:salamext:

Dear scholars, As-Salamu `alaykum. I have been quite ignorant for some time in many aspects of Islam. I am in the process of learning how to read the Qur’an, and I have learned how to pray. My question is that during my "ignorant" period I took OSAP to fund my university education. Now I am told by many friends that what I am doing is considered haram. If one cannot afford to pay for university and they take a loan like OSAP, is this considered haram? Jazakum Allah khayran.

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, thanks a lot for your question, which reflects your care to have a clear view of the teachings of Islam. Allah commands Muslims to refer to people of knowledge to become well acquainted with the teachings of Islam in all aspects of life.

Generally speaking, obtaining a student loan may become permissible if the person finds himself with no other ways to finance his education. In this case, the person is permitted to obtain a student loan as long as he has the sincere intention to pay back the loan on time without incurring interest.

In his response to your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states the following:

Your sincere desire to stay clear of that which is haram (unlawful) is indeed commendable. It should however be a source of relief for you to know that in Islam we are not punished for mistakes done in ignorance. This is especially true of matters that do not properly belong to the category of common knowledge in Islam. I do not think the issue of permissibility or non-permissibility of OSAP falls in this category; therefore, you should not worry too much about what you have done in the past. Allah, Who is the All-Compassionate, and All-Merciful, in sha’ Allah, will forgive you once you turn to Him in repentance.

Now coming specifically to the issue of whether it is permissible for a student to make use of OSAP, my humble opinion is that it is permissible to do so under the following conditions:

1. If a person finds himself/herself with no other source of income or ways to finance his/her education.

2. If he/she has all the intention to pay back the loan on time without incurring interest.

I think it is possible for most people to do so if they seriously commit themselves to it; I personally know a number of those who have done it. So if you have already taken OSAP, pay it on time without incurring interest. If you have missed the deadline, then pay it off any way and ask forgiveness of Allah.
Excerpted, with slight modifications, from: www.muslims.ca

Dear scholars, As-Salamu `alaykum. I am a high school student in Ontario and graduating this year, in sha' Allah. I would like to go to university but the costs are too high so that I have to take an OSAP loan. If I pay back the OSAP loan within 6 months after my graduation, I do not have to pay any interest on that loan. However, interest charges will be added on after six months from graduation if I do not pay them back in time. I do not see any way to pay back the OSAP loan within 6 months after graduation. What should I do now? Jazakum Allah khayran.

Wa `alaykum As-Salamu wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh.

All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger.

Dear brother in Islam, thanks a lot for your question, which reflects your care to have a clear view of the teachings of Islam. Allah commands Muslims to refer to people of knowledge to become well acquainted with the teachings of Islam in all aspects of life.

Answering your question, Sheikh Ahmad Kutty, a senior lecturer and Islamic scholar at the Islamic Institute of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, states:

“You are allowed to take the OSAP loan if you have no other alternative — provided you are sincere in your intention to pay it back without incurring interest according to the best of your ability.

In order to make this happen, you should take only the absolute minimum amount that is needed which you would be able to pay off within the allowable time period. If you sincerely work and ask Allah’s help, you will be able to do so. I know many students who have been there; they did manage to pay the loans back without involving any interest whatsoever through hard work and firm commitment to do so with the help of Allah.

The way they achieved this was that while being enrolled in their full-time studies, they also secured part-time jobs (such as security guards or in the library, etc.) which did not interfere seriously with their studies; besides this, they also made use of full-time summer employment.

A still better alternative is to try to get a stipend or bursary, which is not at all impossible to obtain if you are diligent in your academic work.
The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) taught us that whoever wishes to keep himself chaste, pure and free from sins, Allah will surely help him to do so.

So formulate sincere intention to avoid interest payment, work hard and seek help from Allah, and Allah will help you. Allah says, “Whoever fears Allah, Allah will surely make things easy for him.” (At-Talaq: 4)

To conclude: If you tried your best to keep the loan to a minimum and strove to pay it within the period, you have done what is possible for you. If, for reasons beyond your control or means, you could not pay all of them on time, then Allah knows your circumstances; so ask forgiveness of Him, for He is Forgiving and Merciful. I wish you all the success in your studies. Pray to Allah always making use of the following supplication:

Allaahumma aghninee bi halaalika `an haraamika wa bi ta`atika `an ma`siyatika wa bi fadlika `amman siwaaka
(O Allah, make me self-sufficient with that which is halal (lawful) so that I am not compelled to go for what is haram (unlawful); make me self-sufficient with obedience to You so that I am not led to disobedience; make me self-sufficient with Your favor so that I do not need to look to favor from others!)”
What does Islam say regarding student loans that have interest linked to inflation? Student loans work as following: A student borrows £16,000 this year when the inflation rate is 2.5%. He does not have to pay it back until he is employed (after graduation). However, the money has to be paid back at the new inflation rate at the time of repayment. If the inflation rate increases, then the nominal value to be paid back will increase, thus the student may have to pay back around £24,000 instead of the original £16,000. Is this disparity of figures between the original sum and the new sum, regarded as riba or an element of riba?

Notes:
The rate of interest charged on the loan balance will be equivalent to the rate of inflation. This will mean that what you repay will be no more, in real terms, than the amount you borrowed. The rate of inflation is measured according to the Retail Prices Index (RPI), which varies from time to time.
Is it at all permissible to take a Riba-based loan for study? Thanks, and sorry for this long question.

Dear brother in Islam, we would like to thank you for showing keenness on knowing the teachings of Islam, and we appreciate the great confidence you have in us. We hope our efforts meet your expectations.

With regard to your question, the fatwa given by Dr. Monzer Kahf, a prominent Muslim economist and counselor on student loans with an interest rate linked to inflation, reads:

"In lending, the Shari’ah requires that a loan be due in the same currency by which it was given. At the time of payment it may be paid in any other currency, as long as it is paid at the exchange rate of the day of payment. You cannot change what is due from a person, and any increase in what is due from a person is Riba.

This was easy to apply when gold and silver were the base of all currencies. The problem started when cheating in the percentage of pure silver in currencies began. When this occured, you had the same Dirham, but not the same quantity of silver in it. Then we got paper currencies whose value (purchasing power) varies with changes in many variables, which the two parties of a loan usually don’t have any control over. So then what do we do?

We have to distinguish between two cases, a large or big difference in the value of currency between the date the loan is given and the date it is paid, and a small difference. People usually tolerate small changes in the value of money (as we notice that they continue keeping cash and checking accounts when the inflation rate is small). In the case of a small difference in the value of money, the great majority of Muslim scholars emphasize the principle that if a loan is paid in the same currency, it must be the same number of units regardless of the change in prices. (We must note here that even gold and silver, when they were common currencies, also had small changes in their prices from time to time.) Any increment in this case is Riba, and forbidden.

In the case of big disparity in the value of money between the day a loan is given and the day it is paid back, there are three opinions:

1) The majority of scholars say that the same principles apply, yet, they say that any substantial injustice to either party, in a loan, must be dealt with through certain compromises, even if such compromises are imposed by the government. These injustices must be treated on a case-by-case basis because each case is not always in the same situation or in the same circumstances, and sometimes part of it involves the normal expected and or unexpected risk people usually undertake.

This group objects to any general measure, like indexation of loans and bank checking accounts. They argue that at a time of high inflation Riba-minded people love indexation because the real rate of interest is sometimes negative, i.e., inflation is more than the nominal interest rate.

2) Some scholars argue that unless the currencies are canceled absolutely, payment of loans must be in accordance with the number of units only, regardless of value.

3) And some argue for general indexation.

Now we come to your specific question, increments in a student loan, which charges an interest rate equal to the rate of inflation, are a form of Riba. It is covered by the definition of Riba in Duyun (loans) i.e. any conditioned increment in a loan. Yet, one may argue that while Riba is the price of money through time, the compensation of inflation is not a price of money; it is rather the cost of lending.

The OIC Fiqh Academy, in five of its annual meetings, could not solve this controversy, and I don’t think it is going to. I think it is a Riba, although it less severe than normal increments that are not tied to inflation."

As for the permissibility of taking a Riba-based loan for study, Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former president of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA), says:

"Like all other loans, Student loans are also permissible as long as they don't involve interest. However, if a student is in dire need to pursue his/her studies and no loans are available without interest, then in that case, under the rule of necessity, it will be permissible for the student to take the minimum loan and he/she should pay it back as soon as possible. This is of course, in the case when pursuing that field of education is also very important for the future of the Muslim student. But if a study is not necessary and it is only as a matter of enhancement of one's knowledge, then one should not take loans with interest."
^^I hope this helps.

Source: Islamonline.net

:sl:

Confucius
02-17-2007, 08:54 PM
jazakallah....your reply rly helped...and im in trouble now! i dont think i have a 'dire need' to be educated...so i didnt rly have a right to take out the loan....but the idea of dropping out of uni isnt possible..my family rly want me to carry on with my studies.
isha'allah i will pay it back in my nxt yr of education....personally if i was aware of all the loan issues and its view in islam i wud have refused to go university, but i was among those who were ignorant and a non-practising muslims!
and also...i wanted to ask ...how can we be expected to work to pay off the debts when working will definitley cause me to miss my salah? Alhamdulilah at uni i have been steadfast in my salah and have more or less always found time to pray...
i think my salah is the greater issue if i was to drop uni i would be expected to work..! :(

Erundur
02-17-2007, 11:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nuj
jazakallah....your reply rly helped...and im in trouble now! i dont think i have a 'dire need' to be educated...so i didnt rly have a right to take out the loan....but the idea of dropping out of uni isnt possible..my family rly want me to carry on with my studies.
isha'allah i will pay it back in my nxt yr of education....personally if i was aware of all the loan issues and its view in islam i wud have refused to go university, but i was among those who were ignorant and a non-practising muslims!
and also...i wanted to ask ...how can we be expected to work to pay off the debts when working will definitley cause me to miss my salah? Alhamdulilah at uni i have been steadfast in my salah and have more or less always found time to pray...
i think my salah is the greater issue if i was to drop uni i would be expected to work..! :(
:salamext:

Some employers allow you to take the time and make the salah but it depends on the person though, I believe anything out of a high school education is out of dire need, since you plan on building a career out of it unless you plan on getting married and your husband will pay for everything.

I suggest you talk with your local Imam because with Pharmacy you need the 4 year pre-req and time at the pharmacy school. Your parents intentions are good since they want whats best for you its not like you can get into a university with a snap of a finger (if you live in the U.S. don't know about the other places). But talk with your local Imam and your parents and find out what you plan on doing with your future.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Confucius
02-18-2007, 07:36 PM
tbh in the UK getting into uni isnt that hard...well for me it wasnt much of a hassle all i needed was the grades....and i didnt rly bother to think of the loans issue cos its a common thing here to take out the tuition fee loan...!
and talking to an imam...err i dont think so..we dnt have that type of people-imam relationship here...
and getting marrid.....i have brothers older than me and a sister older than me at uni aswell! and getting a job is a no-no for me...id hate to have to itteract with men and be deprived the right to pray my salah because here they dont reconise the idea oif employees praying...
inshallah ill talk to my sheik instead...
anyway jazakallah for your help

NoName55
02-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Dr. Muzammil Siddiqi, former president of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA), says:

"Like all other loans, Student loans are also permissible as long as they don't involve interest. However, if a student is in dire need to pursue his/her studies and no loans are available without interest, then in that case, under the rule of necessity, it will be permissible for the student to take the minimum loan and he/she should pay it back as soon as possible. This is of course, in the case when pursuing that field of education is also very important for the future of the Muslim student. But if a study is not necessary and it is only as a matter of enhancement of one's knowledge, then one should not take loans with interest."

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.