/* */

PDA

View Full Version : An Imam is coming over to my office today

rebelishaulman
02-18-2007, 04:21 PM
An Imam will be stopping by my office today to ask me about the different laws regarding how food is judged to Kosher and which Kosher products would be considered forbidden for a Muslim to eat, since The Orthodox Union is much more organized and better then Islamic groups at providing labels on foods stating a Rabbi supervised the making of the food and deems it to be Kosher etc.

So anyway, anything I should know? I generally learn a lot being a member of different religious forums clearing up misconceptions about Judaism, but Islam's dietary standards are not something I would no much about.

The Imam is in the position of needing a way to find what Kosher products he can have. Jews are not allowed to have any "Halal" foods because Halal does not match up to the rigorous standard Kosher is, but Alcohol is aloud in Judaism.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Umar001
02-18-2007, 04:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rebelishaulman
Jews are not allowed to have any "Halal" foods because Halal does not match up to the rigorous standard Kosher is, but Alcohol is aloud in Judaism.
This thread has produced questions in my mind rather than answers LOl sorry.

What rigorous standards?

And the Brother just goes to your company and looks around? Am abit confused.

rebelishaulman
02-18-2007, 06:49 PM
The Imam wants to figure out exactly what Kosher products are Halal. Since I do not have much expertise in the "Halal" field, I would have to say you could help me.

I was giving you an example, about how the Kosher and Hala are different. Jews can have Alcohol. The list of animals forbidden by kashrut is more restrictive, as kashrut requires that, to be kosher, mammals must chew cud as well as have cloven hooves. Dhabiĥa halal does not require that an animal have cloven hooves. Thus, various animals such as the camel are permissible as per dhabiĥa halal, but not according to kashrut.

Umar001
02-18-2007, 06:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by rebelishaulman
The Imam wants to figure out exactly what Kosher products are Halal. Since I do not have much expertise in the "Halal" field, I would have to say you could help me.

I was giving you an example, about how the Kosher and Hala are different. Jews can have Alcohol. The list of animals forbidden by kashrut is more restrictive, as kashrut requires that, to be kosher, mammals must chew cud as well as have cloven hooves. Dhabiĥa halal does not require that an animal have cloven hooves. Thus, various animals such as the camel are permissible as per dhabiĥa halal, but not according to kashrut.
Oh Okey dokes I see, thank you, I forgot about the chew cud thing.

Well as for the thing you need help with most Muslims will tell you that the food of Jews that is killed in their way is Halal for us.

But personally I will just refrain from answering since I am not too sure, if thats the answer in its totality.

Eesa.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
02-18-2007, 07:01 PM
He is right there are provisions made for Bani Israel that don't apply to us.. here are some verses from the Quran... and there is some things that they have that we shouldn't ... here are some verses that I can think of right on top of my head... some you can find yourself when you read the book

[3:50] "I confirm previous scripture - the Torah - and I revoke certain prohibitions imposed upon you. I come to you with sufficient proof from your Lord. Therefore, you shall observe GOD, and obey me.
the above verse I believe was Jesus speaking to the people..

*6:145-146 Only four kinds of animal products are prohibited: animals that die of themselves, running blood (not trapped within the meat), the meat of pigs, and animals dedicated to other than their Creator. Verse 146 informs us that such prohibitions are very specific; God prohibits either ''the meat'' or ''the fat,'' or both, if He so wills.

فَبِظُلْمٍ مِّنَ الَّذِينَ هَادُواْ حَرَّمْنَا عَلَيْهِمْ طَيِّبَاتٍ أُحِلَّتْ لَهُمْ وَبِصَدِّهِمْ عَن سَبِيلِ اللّهِ كَثِيراً {160}
[Pickthal 4:160] Because of the wrongdoing of the Jews We forbade them good things which were (before) made lawful unto them, and because of their much hindering from Allah's way,

وَعَلَى الَّذِينَ هَادُواْ حَرَّمْنَا مَا قَصَصْنَا عَلَيْكَ مِن قَبْلُ وَمَا ظَلَمْنَاهُمْ وَلَـكِن كَانُواْ أَنفُسَهُمْ يَظْلِمُونَ {118}
[Pickthal 16:118] And unto those who are Jews We have forbidden that which We have already related unto thee. And We wronged them not, but they were wont to wrong themselves.

وَمُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيَّ مِنَ التَّوْرَاةِ وَلِأُحِلَّ لَكُم بَعْضَ الَّذِي حُرِّمَ عَلَيْكُمْ وَجِئْتُكُم بِآيَةٍ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ فَاتَّقُواْ اللّهَ وَأَطِيعُونِ {50}
[Pickthal 3:50] And (I come) confirming that which was before me of the Torah, and to make lawful some of that which was forbidden unto you. I come unto you with a sign from your Lord, so keep your duty to Allah and obey me.

rebelishaulman
02-19-2007, 05:37 PM
To give you all an update the meeting went well. He outlined his needs and I told him what products would be safe for him to eat according to his way of life.

جوري
02-19-2007, 05:46 PM
There was an article with an ask the rabbi once where in judiasm hooves and hairs of pigs aren't forbidden to you? I have posted it before, as I wasn't sure about the "kosher gelatin" I called the company itself and they told me that the gelatin could come from pigs, in spite of the K. I was told by a friend to follow the U instead of the K on a box instead, and since she is Jewish she probably knows her reasons best.
It is good you informed him though... I hope the Halal industry takes rise. I already see some things in the supermarket here in NY that have the H mark on them. Some Vermont cheese... can't say it is the yummiest I have tasted but it is better than risking it
thanks for posting this...

Um_ahmad
02-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Thats intresting to know.....

جوري
02-19-2007, 05:51 PM
http://ohr.edu/ask_db/ask_main.php/127/Q1/

here I found the article......

rebelishaulman
02-19-2007, 05:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PurestAmbrosia
There was an article with an ask the rabbi once where in judiasm hooves and hairs of pigs aren't forbidden to you? I have posted it before, as I wasn't sure about the "kosher gelatin" I called the company itself and they told me that the gelatin could come from pigs, in spite of the K. I was told by a friend to follow the U instead of the K on a box instead, and since she is Jewish she probably knows her reasons best.
It is good you informed him though... I hope the Halal industry takes rise. I already see some things in the supermarket here in NY that have the H mark on them. Some Vermont cheese... can't say it is the yummiest I have tasted but it is better than risking it

If there is just a "K" with no circle or symbol around it, then it is not Kosher. I have heard reports of Jello putting a "K" on the packagage and not a symbol to trick people.

It must be a symbol like this:

Here is a list of some of Kosher symbols:

http://www.mazornet.com/jewishcl/Kosher/kosherorgs.htm

جوري
02-19-2007, 05:57 PM
yup I'd stay away from Jello pudding, besides the novelty of it has worn off...
My aunt used to make it for me as a kid and would add pieces of fruits in it and it was just so marvelous... now it just doesn't taste the same.... all the oinkers in there lol

zaria
02-19-2007, 06:28 PM

Salaams,

Are there other letters to look for to make sure it's halal. I know R and U are Halal. You recommend to follow U and stay away from K right? but are there other letters?

جوري
02-19-2007, 06:40 PM
look for this dear sister

and this

check this website out
http://www.tomsofmaine.com/toms/certifications.asp

zaria
02-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Shukran

Salaam's

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-19-2007, 06:46 PM
^^JazakAllah Khair for that :D

جوري
02-19-2007, 06:48 PM
it is my pleasure... think you guys in England should have no problem but here in the states it is fairly new and hopefully rising... Tom's of main makes excellent products all natural and they are Halal so you may want to switch your toothpaste, your deodorant and mouth wash as is seen in site I provided on the bottom, they are certified Halal....
shukran sisters..

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Yea, its difficult in the US.

Shukran :D

snakelegs
02-20-2007, 01:07 AM
what is the meaning of "zabiha"?

جوري
02-20-2007, 01:09 AM
hehe you ae sure you want to know?? zhabi7a means that which is slaughtered... so it would be slughtered the right way... not shot not shocked but done in such a way as to not let blood mix with the meat...

snakelegs
02-20-2007, 01:25 AM
oh, so it just means that the animal was slaughtered according to islamic law = halal?
do muslims have ritual slaughterers? (jews do).

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
02-20-2007, 01:34 AM
Yea we have a specific way of slaughtering. Thats why its called zabiha. We take Allahs name before we slaughter :) I think lol.

جوري
02-20-2007, 01:35 AM
yes.. for Eid Al'adha for instance which is the Eid of sacrifice where Abrahaem (PBUH) took his son to slaughter him and was given sheep or lamb in his stead... we follow the same ritual and give to our friends family neighbors and the poor from the meat of the slughtered animal...and this eid also marks the start of pilgrimage. But we don't make a habit out of it. my family that is.. When I was living in the old country, my grandmother's neighbor grew all her ducks and chicken and rabbits in the court yard and grew her own veggies. I don't see many people doing that today ...for this year's eid my brother slaughtered the sheep himself.. then gave it to the butcher to clean and prepare the meat to give to people... Me personally I don't really eat meat except on some rare ocassions. I just can't help but think I am eating muscle or some tissue and it makes me not feel so well. even the BBQ's I attend I always request that it be seafood... which I know on some level isn't much different than meat....

snakelegs
02-20-2007, 01:41 AM
thanks for info!
i avoid meat as much as possible because of the cruelty and greed that are part of the meat industry = it's too disgusting.
anyway, not to derail this thread....

chris4336
02-20-2007, 01:43 AM
Did you say that you ate halal cheese?? Isn't all cheese halal?

Sorry for derailing this thread even further :-)

جوري
02-20-2007, 01:51 AM
lol... I am not sure... some booklets I have gotten seem to make a no no out of my favorite brands... I always read ingredients Never buy a product containing lecithen unless it is soy lecithen, never buy a product with mono-diglcerides of fatty acids since we aren't sure what animal. I personally don't buy bleached or inverted sugars, things with enzymes where again I am not sure where from... so sister I am not sure me and my own sister don't follow the same diets even... to be honest maybe I shouldn't admit to this but I have no reservation ordering chicken in a resturant so long as it is from (people of the book) whereas she won't eat any meat whatsoever outside unless sea-food... so just train yourself to read ingredients... if not sure always call and ask manufacturer... another things are meds with gel caps. I would always call and ask them if their caps are vegeterian most often than not they are from animals. In which case you can empty the contents into a liqued solution or try to find an alternative form...

Agnostic
02-20-2007, 02:19 AM
lecithen
soy lecithen
mono-diglcerides
fatty acids
bleached or inverted sugars
things with enzymes where again I am not sure where from

Holy smokes I may never eat again!!! :'(

جوري
02-20-2007, 02:26 AM
lol Agnostic.. you don't have to have my diet .. I have dietary restrictions with some ingredients that may not apply to you and they are perfectly halal... my family uses regular sugar and bleached flour.. I just don't lol........ I had to give up lots of foods that just make me so sick. I used to love getting pastrami from the Lebanese seller and making it with eggs, and putting it in french bread...if I have this right now I can guarantee I'll end up in the ER with a bout of something that hasn't made it to Robbins review of pathology yet. I might not eat things that are incredbly yummy anymore but I feeeeeeeeeeeel sooooooooooo much better...I recommend that to anyone here who suffers from tummy troubles. Get up at 5 everyday and just run or jog for a half an hour and modify your diet instead of a donut and coffee for breakfast try a hard boiled egg.......and you'll feel the difference in 2 weeks...

Zulkiflim
02-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Inshallah,

The Muslim world is on the course of using a SINGLE HALAL brand for the entire world..

I think Malaysia has started it.

Good new is for Asia,the entire NEstle products are Halal.

And Islamic food business is worth 40 billon.,,according to estimates

Agnostic
02-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks PurestAmbrosia

Ill keep that in mind, I have dumped the morning donuts and trying to eat better and I'm trying to get back into playing tennis again but its tough to break old habits. I don't have stomach problems so that is a problem in itself, I love to eat everything :eek:

جوري
02-20-2007, 07:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Agnostic
Thanks PurestAmbrosia

Ill keep that in mind, I have dumped the morning donuts and trying to eat better and I'm trying to get back into playing tennis again but its tough to break old habits. I don't have stomach problems so that is a problem in itself, I love to eat everything :eek:
That is just the thing about sports... you really have to pick one that is a pleasure for you to do so it won't seem like a chore and that way you can do it at least three times a week...Also, I think you can eat anything you want so long as it is in proper proportion.

I read somewhere that anyone who is over weight should reflect on what food they frequent more often and give it up for a healthier choice. So for instance if you love soda and have at least one or two per day.. if you give it up for water or seltzer or even one of those V8 drinks you'll lose a good few pounds. this topic has meandered but it is all good :-[

north_malaysian
02-21-2007, 08:03 AM

This is the ONLY official halal symbol in Malaysia... you can check via SMS whether the product is certified halal or not by typing the numbers on the barcode...

north_malaysian
02-21-2007, 08:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zulkiflim

And Islamic food business is worth 40 billon.,,according to estimates
Malaysia is aiming to be number one halal food exporter in the world...

جوري
02-21-2007, 03:03 PM
interesting..... (G-D bless Malysia) for taking the initiative... yes the M symbol represents the Islamic council here in the states... I have only seen the Halal one when I shop at one of those Lebanese or Greek stores...
thank you

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.