/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Reactivity of Carbon Dioxide

afriend
02-21-2007, 10:55 PM
:sl:

How reactive is carbon dioxide, and how easily is it decomposed, and with the help of what?

Regards.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
02-21-2007, 11:32 PM
It is not very reactive with anything. Very stable stuff which is what makes it so suitable as a fire extinguisher.

It does dissolve in water to form carbonic acid. It that state it is reactive with alkalines. However, it is also a product of nearly every other acid/base reaction and nearly all combustion.

The amount in the atmosphere is controlled by the ocean and by plants. Plants are the greatest control as it is essential for photsynthises and as a result the plant keeps a CO radical and releases an oxygen atom.

afriend
02-21-2007, 11:37 PM
ok. I failed.

Thanks uncle woodrow :)

I was hoping to react the CO2 with another something, or break it down...

Woodrow
02-22-2007, 12:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
ok. I failed.

Thanks uncle woodrow :)

I was hoping to react the CO2 with another something, or break it down...

If you can figure out how to duplicate photosynthesis you would be able to produce sugar and oxygen using just CO2 and water.

I'm still waiting for an evolutionist to explain to me how the process of photosynthesis came about and how come it was one of the first living processes to come about. Seems mighty complicated to happen on the first try.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
syilla
02-22-2007, 02:34 AM
If you compressed Co2 ...it will react and act as a combustible material.

Skillganon
02-22-2007, 02:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by syilla
If you compressed Co2 ...it will react and act as a combustible element.
Are you sure sis. does not compressing Co2 produce what is called dry ice?

Woodrow
02-22-2007, 02:47 AM
If you compressed Co2 ...it will react and act as a combustible element.
That is new to me. I know you can liquify it fairly easy under low pressure and then the sudden release of pressure will give you a block of very cold dry ice. In the dry ice fire extinguishers it is highly compressed CO2

syilla
02-22-2007, 02:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
Are you sure sis. does not compressing Co2 produce dry ice?
yeah...i've just learn it yesterday. i went for a safety training :D

compressed till it turn liquid, then it will be dangerous.

Woodrow
02-22-2007, 02:54 AM
yeah...i've just learn it yesterday. i went for a safety training :D

compressed till it turn liquid, then it will be dangerous.
Yes it is dangerous as a co2 cylinder can explode when heated. But the explosion is from expansion and not from it being flammable. In the fire extinguishers it is a liquid. And those can also explode if caught in a fire and heated. But the explosion is from heat expansion, not from it burning.

syilla
02-22-2007, 03:00 AM
so many things that i learn yesterday...feel like sharing with all of you.

Safety first and our culture...(the new thread. what do you think?)

Did you know that...the electrostatic in our body can create fire while you pumping petrol at the petrol station? It is more dangerous than handphones ( i wonder why the petrol station are more worried about the usage of hp at the petrol station).

p/s:- hehe...sorry off topic. What else do you want to know about Co2. I have two chemical engineering handbook behind me. lol. I can check it out for you.

Skillganon
02-22-2007, 03:01 AM
I think syilla answered part of the question. Carbon Dioxide can be very reactive after compression.

Woodrow
02-22-2007, 03:11 AM
Learn something new every day. The only way I ever knew how to get a chemical reaction with carbon dioxide is to either dissolve it in water or burn magnesium in it.

syilla
02-22-2007, 03:19 AM
i found this :D

Decomposition of CO2 to carbon by H2-reduced Ni(n)- and
Co(n)-bearing ferrites at 300 °C

http://www.mrs.org/s_mrs/bin.asp?CID...9&DOC=FILE.PDF

Muslim Knight
02-22-2007, 03:20 AM
The reaction of carbon dioxide with water accounts for acidity of carbonated water (Coke, Pepsi) and to, some extent, rainwater. Because sulfur is present in oil and coal, combustion of these common fuels produces sulfur dioxide and sulfur trioxide. These substances dissolve in water to produce acid rain, a major pollution problem in many parts of the world.
From Chemistry textbook. Emphasis mine. I haven't touched it for ages until now.

Also,

non-metal oxide (i.e. carbon dioxide) + water ----> acid

for example;

CO2 + H20 ----> H2CO3

Woodrow
02-22-2007, 03:21 AM
i found this :D

Decomposition of CO2 to carbon by H2-reduced Ni(n)- and
Co(n)-bearing ferrites at 300 °C

http://www.mrs.org/s_mrs/bin.asp?CID...9&DOC=FILE.PDF
That is the bessemer steel process in a blast furnace. Quite an impressive reaction.

syilla
02-22-2007, 03:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
That is the bessemer steel process in a blast furnace. Quite an impressive reaction.
:D

hehe...not so much of home-made experiment.

syilla
02-22-2007, 03:43 AM
Use of solar energy to reduce carbon dioxide source

wow...i found this. it is an old journal published in 1980. Maybe anyone out there with some info can share with us on this.

Several thermodynamically possible ways are outlined in which solar energy could be used to decompose carbon dioxide into carbon or carbon monoxide and oxygen, thereby providing a new source of carbon-based fuels which do not contribute to the environmental problems of mining operations, sulfur pollution, and carbon dioxide buildup in the atmosphere. It is shown that these methods are analogous to cyclic thermochemical processes for the decomposition of water into hydrogen. While these cycles have not yet been proven practical in the laboratory, it is suggested that the thermodynamics are sufficiently favorable that experimental study is recommended. Finally, since the approach has much in common with the hydrogen economy, some of the basic aspects of the hydrogen proposal are reviewed.
It is the biggest contributor to climate change. Now chemists are hoping to convert carbon dioxide into a useful fuel, with a little help from the sun.
source

Muslim Knight
02-22-2007, 05:50 AM
Water can be broken down into its main component molecules hydrogen and oxygen through the process known as electrolysis. Electricity is used.

Maybe they use the same method to break down carbon dioxide into carbon and oxygen, using electricity generated by solar cells?

afriend
02-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Great ideas, valuable information :)

Keep them coming insha'Allah. In the meantime I need access to a lab, a person of my age probably wouldn't be authorised. Maybe someone with access to a lab could do something on this matter?

Woodrow
02-22-2007, 12:10 PM
You would be surprised at how little lab equipment a person needs to conduct real experiments. The sophisticated lab equipment is only necessary for sophisticated research in areas where precise measurements and timing are critical.

The majority of the world discoveries come from back yard home experimenters and only get refined in professional labs. The typical kids chemistry set has more lab equipment than what Thomas Edison had for most of his experiments and even his lab at Menlo park is not out of the reach of a home experimenter.

Some home experimenter supply outfits have everything a person could need at low prices. The other option is to just check in a library book and learn how an experimental lab is set up. You would be surprised and how much stuff you find in the average kitchen can be used as substitutes for expensive stuff.

InToTheRain
02-22-2007, 01:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Some home experimenter supply outfits have everything a person could need at low prices. The other option is to just check in a library book and learn how an experimental lab is set up. You would be surprised and how much stuff you find in the average kitchen can be used as substitutes for expensive stuff.

ye I wouldn't mind buying one of those kits but with my beard etc it becomes a risk fo rto experiment at my backyard :eek:

Woodrow
02-22-2007, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WnbSlveOfAllah

ye I wouldn't mind buying one of those kits but with my beard etc it becomes a risk fo rto experiment at my backyard :eek:

Sadly that attitude does exist in too many places. It is sad to see that there are good deeply Religious people who are viewed with suspicion based only on how they look or their religious preference. I had not thought of it before but that attitude does stifle development.

So many of the worlds greatest developments have come from the back yard experimenter who was trying to solve a problem.

The process for cheaply extracting aluminum from Bauxite came about because a teen age boy wanted to make a light weight frying pan for his mother.

Vulcanized rubber was invented because Charles Goodyear was trying to make non sticky chewing gum from latex.

The list is actually very long for the modern inventions that were discovered in somebodies back yard or kitchen.

But, with that said it is best to put up a warning for any home experimenters to check with their local laws and the attitudes of their neighbors before doing anything.

strider
02-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Great ideas, valuable information :)

Keep them coming insha'Allah. In the meantime I need access to a lab, a person of my age probably wouldn't be authorised. Maybe someone with access to a lab could do something on this matter?
Don't you have access to the science lab at school? Maybe you can talk the Head of Science or one of your science teacher(s) and see whether they can sort something out.:D

afriend
02-26-2007, 11:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Don't you have access to the science lab at school? Maybe you can talk the Head of Science or one of your science teacher(s) and see whether they can sort something out.:D
Almost impossible sis :)

I don't know...maybe we should just leave it to the experts :D lol

Woodrow
02-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Almost impossible sis :)

I don't know...maybe we should just leave it to the experts :D lol

A spurt is a drip under pressure and an ex is a has been.

So maybe it is best none of us are experts.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.