/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Jesus Barabbas?

Talha777
02-26-2007, 05:25 PM
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

I just have a minor question regarding if the Bible sheds any light or gives any clues whatsoever that Hadhrat Nabi Isa [alaihi salam] was not crucified, but rather Allah Taala deceived his enemies into thinking that he was. While reading the New Testament for research, I came across the following passage:

Now it was the governor's custom at the Festival to release a prisoner chosen by the crowd. At that time they had a well-known prisoner whose name was Jesus Barabbas. So when the crowd had gathered, Pilate asked them, "Which one do you want me to release to you: Jesus Barabbas, or Jesus who is called the Messiah?" For he knew it was out of envy that they had handed Jesus over to him. While Pilate was sitting on the judge's seat, his wife sent him this message: "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him." But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and to have Jesus executed. "Which of the two do you want me to release to you?" asked the governor. "Barabbas," they answered. "What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called the Messiah?" Pilate asked. They all answered, "Crucify him!"
[Matthew 27:15-22]

According to Islam, Hadhrat Nabi Isa [alaihi salam] was not crucified, but rather Allah put the appearance of him onto another person and that person was crucified instead. Jesus Barabbas is actually Yeshua Bar Abba in Aramaic, and ironically it means Jesus son of Father. Elsewhere in the Bible we read that Jesus is referring to God as the "father", perhaps in some metaphorical way, and he is like God's son. This of course is not restricted to him, in the so called beatitudes, Jesus calls all of the peacemakers as children of God [Matthew 5:9].

Anyways, I just want to submit that my knowledge in these matters is defficient, and I would ask humbly that those who do know more than me to help clarify the truth for me, insha Allah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
duskiness
02-26-2007, 11:07 PM
15Now it was the governor's custom at the Feast to release a prisoner chosen by the crowd. 16At that time they had a notorious prisoner, called Barabbas. 17So when the crowd had gathered, Pilate asked them, "Which one do you want me to release to you: Barabbas, or Jesus who is called Christ?" 18For he knew it was out of envy that they had handed Jesus over to him.

19While Pilate was sitting on the judge's seat, his wife sent him this message: "Don't have anything to do with that innocent man, for I have suffered a great deal today in a dream because of him."

20But the chief priests and the elders persuaded the crowd to ask for Barabbas and to have Jesus executed.

21"Which of the two do you want me to release to you?" asked the governor.
"Barabbas," they answered.

22"What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called Christ?" Pilate asked.
They all answered, "Crucify him!"

23"Why? What crime has he committed?" asked Pilate.
But they shouted all the louder, "Crucify him!"

24When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. "I am innocent of this man's blood," he said. "It is your responsibility!"

25All the people answered, "Let his blood be on us and on our children!"

26Then he released Barabbas to them. But he had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.
that is a quote from biblegateway. there is not Jesus Barabbas (I have never come across "Jesus Barabbas"). Either Jesus or Barabbas.
Could you give me source for your quote?

Grace Seeker
02-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Ditto. I know of no place in Christian thinking where there is any confusion over the identity of Jesus or Barabbas, not even in the ancient legends of the church apart from scripture.

Talha777
02-27-2007, 02:00 AM
The name "Jesus" in Jesus Barabbas is mentioned in only some manuscripts, mostly early Syriac ones.

I invite you to read the following article and clarify your confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barabbas

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Talha777
02-27-2007, 02:01 AM
The source of my quote was BibleGateWay:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...&context=verse

Grace Seeker
02-28-2007, 10:54 PM
OK. I think I can get into this today. But I may ask you to help me. Since you are trying to clear up a confusion, I hope you might understand that few of the Christians you are asking questions of here speak Arabic, for some even English is their second or third language, so a sentence that reads--"I just have a minor question regarding if the Bible sheds any light or gives any clues whatsoever thatHadhrat Nabi Isa [alaihi salam] was not crucified, but rather Allah Taala deceived his enemies into thinking that he was."--is likely to leave us scratching our heads regarding to whom you are referring.

I think I understand that you want to know if the Bible gives any clues that someone other than Jesus of Nazareth was crucified. And then you referenced Matthew 27 with the question of whether or not Jesus Barabbas might have been confused with Jesus of Nazareth?

Is this what you are wanting to know?

Talha777
03-01-2007, 12:50 AM
With much respect Mr. Grace Seeker, I should have clarified that I am addressing my question to Muslims. You being a Christian, you obviously believe that Jesus Christ (alaihi salam) was crucified, died on the cross, and rose on the third day. Therefore how can my original question be applicable to you or any other Christians. If I was addressing my question to Christians, I would have said Jesus (alaihi salam) instead of Hazrat Nabi Isa (alaihi salam), because obviously that would cause confusion.

wilberhum
03-01-2007, 01:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
With much respect Mr. Grace Seeker, I should have clarified that I am addressing my question to Muslims. You being a Christian, you obviously believe that Jesus Christ (alaihi salam) was crucified, died on the cross, and rose on the third day. Therefore how can my original question be applicable to you or any other Christians. If I was addressing my question to Christians, I would have said Jesus (alaihi salam) instead of Hazrat Nabi Isa (alaihi salam), because obviously that would cause confusion.
What happened to Jesus, happened to Jesus. Requardless of what you call him, requardless of your religion, what happened is what happened.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-01-2007, 03:46 AM
Why the personal attacks. Its a question for goodness sakes, not a boxing ring :rollseyes

wilberhum
03-01-2007, 03:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Jazzy
Why the personal attacks. Its a question for goodness sakes, not a boxing ring :rollseyes
No personal attack. I just thought that you had missed the obvious.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
03-01-2007, 03:52 AM
What did I miss? You quoted him there and attacked him, even though he wasnt. I dont see what the difference is if I had said the same thing to someone.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.