/* */

PDA

View Full Version : further mathematics and medicine

The Ruler
03-02-2007, 08:06 PM
:sl:

i was told the other day that if a person wants to do medicne in uni, the unis dont like further mathematics as one of their options for a-levels. i just wanted to know if any of you know anything bout this...if thats the case, then i am planning on choosing biology, chemistry, mathematics and PE...kinda random...but that's the only other subject that's the best...i would have chosen RE but in the sixth form that i have applied for, they teach mainly about hinduism and christianity...which is going to be tough for me because i dont know anything about it.

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
afriend
03-03-2007, 05:21 PM

I was just about to start a new thread about career plans, I hope I can use your thread for some of the things I wanted to ask.

My dad is well acquainted with the medical field, I've asked him about how long the studies will be at Uni and what I'd be expected to do. Eight years seems a bit too much for me, and I don't think I have that mentality to stand much blood and stuff. Now I'm a bit confused as to what I should get myself into...

Think deeply on this, and ask yourself, are you seriously ready for the workload, and practical examinations (which will definitely involve autopsies)? *sigh*

The Ruler
03-03-2007, 07:33 PM

yeah...i love poking around...and if you ask maarya, she'll know how gross and devilish i can get sometimes...*remember when beerie said about me dissecting the little 'thing'?*...but yes, i am ready...i love practicles...especially if it includes dissecting something :happy:

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-03-2007, 07:36 PM
oooo inshahAllah i wana go in2 medicine.. and abt da maths ting, i aint sure.. :S well, i dnt c why dey wudnt like it.. :S i mean i thought unis liked maths :S wel i asked dis careers adviser and she said it doesnt matter what u take 4 A levels, but u need biology and chemistry.. and she sed psyocology (sp?) wud be a good 1..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
strider
03-03-2007, 07:46 PM
Yes, you need 2 sciences(preferrably biology and chemistry). You don't need to take further mathematics for medicine.

The Ruler
03-03-2007, 08:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by strider
Yes, you need 2 sciences(preferrably biology and chemistry). You don't need to take further mathematics for medicine.
chemistry is a compulsory subject. but the thing is not whether i ned to take further maths or not...its whether unis like it or not...anyone got any info on that :-\

MusLiM 4 LiFe
03-04-2007, 07:10 PM
urmmmmmm.. duznt it depend on da uni u wana go 2? i really dont see why unis wil hav a problem wid u havin somthin to do wid maths.. :S

seeker_of_ilm
03-04-2007, 07:17 PM

Most Medicine departments in the country don't regard Further maths and single Maths as separate subjects, rather, they count them as 1. So for obvious reasons, you'd be better off doing Bio, Chem, Single Maths, and something else.

afriend
03-04-2007, 08:09 PM
How many years under the enslavement of studying are we looking at here?

I know its 3 years for a Diploma(even that i dont know surely lol)...and another how many years to do surgeon course?

Maarya
03-04-2007, 08:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by +*Rooh*+

yeah...i love poking around...and if you ask maarya, she'll know how gross and devilish i can get sometimes...*remember when beerie said about me dissecting the little 'thing'?*...but yes, i am ready...i love practicles...especially if it includes dissecting something :happy:

trust me, u dnt wanna know her :D

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.