/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Question about verse...

tomtomsmom
03-04-2007, 05:59 PM
I was reading an article on the differences between Islam and Christianity and ran across this:

The Qur'an 4:124 declares: "If any do deeds of righteousness - be they male or female - and have faith, they will enter Paradise and not the least injustice will be done to them." In other words no religion has a monopoly on salvation!

So from what they are saying that as long as you have faith in something then you get to go to heaven. What are your thoughts on this?

Here is the article:http://muslim-canada.org/islam_chris...larities_basic

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ABWAN
03-04-2007, 06:11 PM
4:124. If any do deeds of righteousness,- be they male or female - and have faith, they will enter Heaven, and not the least injustice will be done to them.

Here is the next verse from the same chapter. I believe this verse describes what faith is

4:125 - Who can be better in religion than one who submits his whole self to Allah, does good, and follows the way of Abraham the true in Faith? For Allah did take Abraham for a friend.

tomtomsmom
03-04-2007, 06:13 PM
At the bottom of this artilce it also says this.

[789] The meaning is not that they merely call themselves Christians, but that they are such sincere Christians that they appreciate Muslim virtues, as did the Abyssinians to whom Muslim refugees went during the persecution in Mecca. They would say: "It is true we are Christians, but we understand your point of view, and we know you are good men." They are Muslims at heart, whatever their label may be.

Idris
03-04-2007, 06:17 PM
The Qur'an 4:124 declares: "If any do deeds of righteousness - be they male or female - and have faith, they will enter Paradise and not the least injustice will be done to them." In other words no religion has a monopoly on salvation!
(4:124) And whoso does good works, whether male or female, and he (or she) is a believer, such will enter paradise and not the least injustice will be done to them.

4:125 - Who can be better in religion than one who submits his whole self to Allah, does good, and follows the way of Abraham the true in Faith? For Allah did take Abraham for a friend.
You have to be a Muslim. (he and she)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Umar001
03-04-2007, 06:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
I was reading an article on the differences between Islam and Christianity and ran across this:

So from what they are saying that as long as you have faith in something then you get to go to heaven. What are your thoughts on this?

Here is the article:http://muslim-canada.org/islam_chris...larities_basic

But have faith in what?

And whoever seeks a religion other than Islām, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers.

3:85

Islam without Islam the rest of deeds are not of use;

And We shall turn to whatever deeds they (disbelievers, polytheists, sinners, etc.) did, and We shall make such deeds as scattered floating particles of dust.

25:23

So a person has to follow their Messenger, and our Messenger sent was Muhammad, not Moses or Jesus nor any other.

[789] The meaning is not that they merely call themselves Christians, but that they are such sincere Christians that they appreciate Muslim virtues, as did the Abyssinians to whom Muslim refugees went during the persecution in Mecca. They would say: "It is true we are Christians, but we understand your point of view, and we know you are good men." They are Muslims at heart, whatever their label may be.

With regards to that then as far as I know they are mistaken or have knowledge that I do not have, because the Prophet peace be upon him said:

It has been narrated by Abu Hurayra that Allah's Messenger, peace and blessings be upon him, said: "By Him in Whose Hand Muhammad's soul is, there is none from amongst the Jews and Christians (of these present nations) who hears about me and then dies without believing in the MEssage with which I have been sent but he will be from the dwellers of the Fire"

Muslim Book of Faith V1 Chapter 240

Hope it's helped.

tomtomsmom
03-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Thank you for your answers but it still doesn't make sense to me. If someone goes through their life being a good person, helping those in need, but are not muslim, why should they be condemed to hell?

BTW-I am really shocked this hasn't gotten more replies. It seems that threads that aren't trying to start a fight aren't worth people posting in......what a shame:(

syilla
03-07-2007, 08:03 AM
^^^actually we don't have the expert here...so they don't dare to give their own tafseer.

but we have the thread on this topic already...i'll try to search.

north_malaysian
03-07-2007, 08:17 AM
Only God could decide who goes to heaven and who is not.

syilla
03-07-2007, 08:22 AM
sorry i can't find it :hiding:

Skillganon
03-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Thank you for your answers but it still doesn't make sense to me. If someone goes through their life being a good person, helping those in need, but are not muslim, why should they be condemed to hell?

BTW-I am really shocked this hasn't gotten more replies. It seems that threads that aren't trying to start a fight aren't worth people posting in......what a shame:(
The problem here is those who desbelieve not wheter they did some good, everyone do some good.

It is the injustice they do to the Lord be desbelieving in him. So rejecting the one he sent is desbelieving him and his message even though one believe in a creator.

If this person was really a good person, than he will not reject his creator, desbelieve in him.

tomtomsmom
03-07-2007, 01:52 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skillganon
The problem here is those who desbelieve not wheter they did some good, everyone do some good.

It is the injustice they do to the Lord be desbelieving in him. So rejecting the one he sent is desbelieving him and his message even though one believe in a creator.

If this person was really a good person, than he will not reject his creator, desbelieve in him.
Every religion says the same thing......don't believe in this one and you go to hell. I just can't grasp the fact that good people will go to hell becasue of how they worship. If I were to embrace Islam then I would be saying that my mother is condemed to hell because she is Christian. Who am I to tell my own mother, the person who gave me life, that she is going to go to hell because of her beliefs??

I am not a "normal" agnostic. There is no doubt for me on if god exists, I just don't know what his name is, or if there really is a heaven and hell. I choose to believe because I can't believe the alternative. I can't bring myself to think that I will never again see my granmother and all of the people I love that have passed away. But none of them died muslim. If I believe that only muslims go to heaven then that means that everyone I love is in hell. That is not acceptable to me. My granmother was a good person and never hurt a soul in her entire life. That has to mean something.

Talha777
03-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu to those who follow the Straight Path

Let me make this crystal clear so there is no doubt remaining in anyone's mind...MUSLIMS, and only MUSLIMS are going to Heaven, everyone else is going to Hell, and Allah Taala Knows Best

By definition, every MUMIN (believer) must be a MUSLIM, there is no such thing as a believing Christian or a believing anything else. By definition, Christians and all other non-Muslims are disbelievers, they do not have an iota of Faith and therefore are not deserving of salvation.

If any do deeds of righteousness,- be they male or female - and have faith, they will enter Heaven, and not the least injustice will be done to them. (4:124)

tomtomsmom has missed out the crucial part "and have faith" (wahuwa muminun), and therefore he/she has misinterpreted and misunderstood the verse. This is why I strongly encourage Christians and other non-Muslims that when they read the Holy Quran read it as a whole and do not come posting selective verses with limited understanding in a futile attept to teach us the beliefs of our own Religion. The first book most Muslims ever read in their life is the Holy Quran, we learn to read, memorize, and recite the Holy Quran from a very, very young age, and we re-read it constantly throughout our lives. I think than that we should have more credibility than the non-Muslims in interpreting and explaining our own Holy Book.

1. What is the evidence from Holy Quran that the true religion is Islam?

The Religion before Allah is Islam (submission to His Will): Nor did the People of the Book dissent therefrom except through envy of each other, after knowledge had come to them. But if any deny the Signs of Allah, Allah is swift in calling to account. (3:19)

2. What is the evidence from Holy Quran that true Faith (Iman) is only possible in Islam?

Abraham was not a Jew nor yet a Christian; but he was true in Faith, and bowed his will to Allah's (Which is Islam), and he joined not gods with Allah. (3:67)

3. What is the evidence that apostasy from Islam is unbelief (kufr)?

Nor would he instruct you to take angels and prophets for Lords and patrons. What! would he bid you to unbelief after ye have bowed your will (To Allah in Islam)? (3:80)

4. What is the evidence that all the creation of the Heavens and Earth follow Islam, and that man should do likewise?

Do they seek for other than the Religion of Allah.-while all creatures in the heavens and on earth have, willing or unwilling, bowed to His Will (Accepted Islam), and to Him shall they all be brought back (3:83)

5. What is the evidence that any other religions except Islam is rejected by Allah and any non-Muslim will be doomed in the Hereafter?

If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah., never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter He will be in the ranks of those who have lost (All spiritual good). (3:85)

I hope this helps, Jazak Allah Khair.

O ye who believe! Fear Allah as He should be feared, and die not except in a state of Islam. (3:102)

tomtomsmom
03-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Let me make this crystal clear so there is no doubt remaining in anyone's mind...MUSLIMS, and only MUSLIMS are going to Heaven, everyone else is going to Hell, and Allah Taala Knows Best
Crystal clear ehhh......not really.

tomtomsmom has missed out the crucial part "and have faith" (wahuwa muminun), and therefore he/she has misinterpreted and misunderstood the verse. This is why I strongly encourage Christians and other non-Muslims that when they read the Holy Quran read it as a whole and do not come posting selective verses with limited understanding in a futile attept to teach us the beliefs of our own Religion. The first book most Muslims ever read in their life is the Holy Quran, we learn to read, memorize, and recite the Holy Quran from a very, very young age, and we re-read it constantly throughout our lives. I think than that we should have more credibility than the non-Muslims in interpreting and explaining our own Holy Book.

Perhaps you should read more carefully brother. That came from an ISLAMIC website in Canada. I am not trying to teach you anything. I am asking questions!!! There is a big difference there.

I hope this helps
Once again....no not really

Umar001
03-07-2007, 02:24 PM
Every religion says the same thing......don't believe in this one and you go to hell. I just can't grasp the fact that good people will go to hell becasue of how they worship. If I were to embrace Islam then I would be saying that my mother is condemed to hell because she is Christian. Who am I to tell my own mother, the person who gave me life, that she is going to go to hell because of her beliefs??

I am not a "normal" agnostic. There is no doubt for me on if god exists, I just don't know what his name is, or if there really is a heaven and hell. I choose to believe because I can't believe the alternative. I can't bring myself to think that I will never again see my granmother and all of the people I love that have passed away. But none of them died muslim. If I believe that only muslims go to heaven then that means that everyone I love is in hell. That is not acceptable to me. My granmother was a good person and never hurt a soul in her entire life. That has to mean something.
So what your saying is that because of the choice of other human beings you are then determining through that which religion is acceptable to you? You seriously feel you could justify that to God. God asks, why didn't you follow such and such religion "Well God my grandparents didnt follow it, and my family didnt follow it, so it would mean that they'd all be in hell which means the religion is not acceptable."

I wonder..

Also, Tom, if I may call you that cos I get confused lol. I understand what you mean by that, but how good is a person?

Most people will tell you that a child should never hit his mother, and never curse at her, I mean, it is one thing to hit another person, which is totally wrong, but to hit your mother or father, the ones who were patient and brought you up, who bought you stuff. Some say that is the climax of disrespect, and a person who is rude emotionally or physically to his parents, no matter how much Charity, how much other good deeds he does, this person will still be considered bad. You see it on them talk shows, people denying their parents "You weren't there for me, your not my father" That's a common one, where step fathers are involved the kids say "Your not my father" even though the step father does so much for them.

Yet imagine someone higher than a step father, our parents are great to us but imagine the one who gave them to us, imagine the one who gives us everything we have, some people deny him, laugh at him, belittle him, but oh they are good people? Yet if they were to say the same to their parents they wouldn't be good, but because they say it of God then it's not as bad, now that doesnt make sense to me!

Eesa,

Talha777
03-07-2007, 02:28 PM

First of all, people do not go to Heaven solely on account of their righteousness. But rather salvation is from the Mercy of Allah on those who have faith, and a necessary sign of faith is righteousness. But righteousness is secondary to faith nonetheless.

The Prophet (salallahu alaihi wa salam) said, "Whoever said "None has the right to be worshipped but Allah and has in his heart good (faith) equal to the weight of a barley grain will be taken out of Hell. And whoever said: "None has the right to be worshipped but Allah and has in his heart good (faith) equal to the weight of a wheat grain will be taken out of Hell. And whoever said, "None has the right to be worshipped but Allah and has in his heart good (faith) equal to the weight of an atom will be taken out of Hell." (Sahih al-Bukhari, Kitab-ul-Iman)

The Prophet (salallahu alaihi wa salam) said, "Paradise and the Fire (Hell) argued, and the Fire (Hell) said, "I have been given the privilege of receiving the arrogant and the tyrants.' Paradise said, 'What is the matter with me? Why do only the weak and the humble among the people enter me?' On that, Allah said to Paradise. 'You are My Mercy which I bestow on whoever I wish of my servants.' Then Allah said to the (Hell) Fire, 'You are my (means of) punishment by which I punish whoever I wish of my slaves. And each of you will have its fill.' As for the Fire (Hell), it will not be filled till Allah puts His Foot over it whereupon it will say, 'Qati! Qati!' At that time it will be filled, and its different parts will come closer to each other; and Allah will not wrong any of His created beings. As regards Paradise, Allah will create a new creation to fill it with." (Sahih al-Bukhari)

And also, what may not be acceptable to you does not necessarily mean it isn't true. Only the will of Allah prevails.

tomtomsmom
03-07-2007, 02:33 PM
So what your saying is that because of the choice of other human beings you are then determining through that which religion is acceptable to you? You seriously feel you could justify that to God. God asks, why didn't you follow such and such religion "Well God my grandparents didnt follow it, and my family didnt follow it, so it would mean that they'd all be in hell which means the religion is not acceptable."
No that isn't what I am saying. I don't have a religion. But yes, many people in the world accept certain religions because their parents and their parents parents and so on practised that religion.

You can call me Tom even though that is a boy name :D or you can just call me TT

tomtomsmom
03-07-2007, 02:36 PM
And also, what may not be acceptable to you does not necessarily mean it isn't true
And just because something is acceptable to you does not make it true either.

Umar001
03-07-2007, 02:38 PM
No that isn't what I am saying. I don't have a religion. But yes, many people in the world accept certain religions because their parents and their parents parents and so on practised that religion.

You can call me Tom even though that is a boy name :D or you can just call me TT

Lol Oh ok Tt'sm.

But you are kind of saying that, because your saying that like 'how am i to say my mom's wrong' and so forth. Explain it to me if I misunderstand the quotes:

If I were to embrace Islam then I would be saying that my mother is condemed to hell because she is Christian. Who am I to tell my own mother, the person who gave me life, that she is going to go to hell because of her beliefs??

And like:

If I believe that only muslims go to heaven then that means that everyone I love is in hell. That is not acceptable to me.

- Qatada -
03-07-2007, 02:39 PM
And (remember) when your Lord brought forth from the Children of Adam, from their loins, their seed (or from Adam's loin his offspring) and made them testify as to themselves (saying): "Am I not your Lord?" They said: "Yes! We testify," lest you should say on the Day of Resurrection: "Verily, we have been unaware of this."

Or lest you should say: "It was only our fathers afortime who took others as partners in worship along with Allah, and we were (merely their) descendants after them; will You then destroy us because of the deeds of men who practised Al-Batil (i.e. polytheism and committing crimes and sins, invoking and worshipping others besides Allah)?" (Tafsir At-Tabari).

: Thus do We explain the Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) in detail, so that they may turn (unto the truth).

[Qur'an 7: 172-4]

Talha777
03-07-2007, 02:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
This reminds me of the verse:

وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمُ اتَّبِعُوا مَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ قَالُواْ بَلْ نَتَّبِعُ مَا أَلْفَيْنَا عَلَيْهِ آبَاءنَا أَوَلَوْ كَانَ آبَاؤُهُمْ لاَ يَعْقِلُونَ شَيْئاً وَلاَ يَهْتَدُونَ

When it is said to them: "Follow what Allah hath revealed:" They say: "Nay! we shall follow the ways of our fathers." What! even though their fathers were void of wisdom and guidance? (2:170)

can't bring myself to think that I will never again see my granmother and all of the people I love that have passed away. But none of them died muslim. If I believe that only muslims go to heaven then that means that everyone I love is in hell. That is not acceptable to me. My granmother was a good person and never hurt a soul in her entire life. That has to mean something.
I'm sorry to say but a person cannot be righteous if they are not Muslims. A righteous disbeliever is an oxymoron. Only Muslims can be righteous. And as for your relatives, let me tell you when the Day of Resurrection comes, neither family nor wealth will be of any avail. That is a day when blood relations will mean nothing, everyone will be concerned solely with themselves, because it is a day when your fate of either eternal ****ation or eternal Paradise will be made manifest to you:

O mankind! do your duty to your Lord, and fear (the coming of) a day when no father can avail aught for his son, nor a son avail aught for his father. Verily, the promise of Allah is true: let not then this present life deceive you, nor let the chief Deceiver deceive you about Allah. (31:33)

So now I hope you realize how important working for your salvation is, you should be inspired to not let any worldly affair or relation obstruct you in this regard. The Message of the Holy Quran is not a game, it is very real and very serious:

Then the Messenger will say: "O my Lord! Truly my people took this Quran for just foolish nonsense." (25:30)

Umar001
03-07-2007, 02:48 PM
I don't think the problem here is the religion initself, but it is the factthat the religion does not recognise some people who seem to be good as good. That's all so please it's not about following your parents and forefathers.

It's about the fact of whether a person can be good without being a believer and logically that's a no.

tomtomsmom
03-07-2007, 02:57 PM
I can't continue in this question any more for my own personal reasons which I will not go into here. This will be the last reply from me. If you bro's want to continue then so be it, but I would rather this thread be locked down. Thank you.

Maimunah
03-07-2007, 03:05 PM
:sl:

Whoever joins other gods with Allah, Allah will forbid him the Paradise, and the Fire will be his abode. There will for the wrong-doers be no one to help." suraa 5

"Those who reject Our signs and the meeting in the Hereafter,- vain are their deeds: Can they expect to be rewarded except as they have wrought? suraa 7

"Those who follow the apostle, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures),- in the law and the Gospel;- for he commands them what is just and forbids them what is evil; he allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure); He releases them from their heavy burdens and from the yokes that are upon them. So it is those who believe in him, honour him, help him, and follow the light which is sent down with him,- it is they who will prosper." suraa 7

Do they see nothing in the government of the heavens and the earth and all that Allah hath created? (Do they not see) that it may well be that their terms is nigh drawing to an end? In what message after this will they then believe?

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.