/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Quote from Albert Scweitzer on Paul vs. Jesus

GreatLoveJesus
03-14-2007, 01:26 PM
salam and hello,

It would be interesting to discuss the relevance of the following by Albert Schweitzer:

What is the significance for our faith and for our religious life, the fact that the Gospel of Paul is different from the Gospel of Jesus?

The attitude which Paul himself takes up towards the Gospel of Jesus is that he does not repeat it in the words of Jesus, and does not appeal to its authority.... The fateful thing is that the Greek, the Catholic, and the Protestant theologies all contain the Gospel of Paul in a form which does not continue the Gospel of Jesus, but displaces it."

(Albert Schweitzer, The Quest for the Historical Jesus,)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Grace Seeker
03-16-2007, 10:45 AM
I think Albert Sweitzer was a great man and lived out the ethic of Jesus. But I don't think we was right about everything; among them, I think he missed the mark with regard to his understooding of the Gospel of Jesus. I think his understanding went askew, not totally wrong, but not totally right either. What is the significance of the quote, that because of his personal greatness as a compassionate meeter of human needs around the world, that others listened, attibuting correctness to his words not because they were right, but because they were uttered by Albert Sweitzer. As a result many others have slipped even farther into error for they have traveled down his path and then proceeded to continue even farther away from the Gospel of Jesus than Sweitzer would have ever himself have recognized his words could be taken.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.