/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Im Struggling To Do It Nyd Help

HIJABI***
03-16-2007, 02:32 PM
:sl:
brother and sisters i really need sum help im struggling on some A level biology coursework and i just wondered if any of u can help i tried to do it but im really stuk :(
so if u any of u can help it will b appreciated
jazakhallah khair:D

Papaya investigation

The common papaya, also called papaw and pawpaw, is native to the New World, but its exact origin is unknown. It may be chance hybridization between two other species of the representative genus. It is now widely cultivated in the tropics; many varieties have been developed. In the wild, the trees grow to about 1.8 m (about 6ft) high, but cultivated trees may be about 7.6 m (about 25 ft) high. The fruits, which vary from spherical to elongate and which may weigh as much as 9 kg (20 1b), are eaten fresh as breakfast fruit or in salads or desserts.

Papaya is also exploited for its latex (juice), which contains papain.

• In cooking some recipes suggest marinating tough cuts of meat in papaya juice to make the meat tender.
• A traditional herbal remedy called ‘papaya plus’ contains and extract of papaya (papain), which is taken before meals to “help digestion”

Suggest a hypothesis to account for these facts.

Hypothesis
Papaya contains an enzyme which digests protein and will work in the acidic conditions of the stomach.
Design an experiment to test this hypothesis

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
LFC
03-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Wow, so THIS is what my friends are doing... good thing I'm not!

Sorry for the useless answer. :p

afriend
03-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Its not like mathematics atleast..A level bio-chemistry is going to be fun :D

Ok, lets see....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papain

Have a look at the above link...If you're familiar with the terms you should be fine, if not, then you need to pay more attention in class! Just kidding.

:w:

PS. Here's your investigation:

Papain is used to dissociate cells in the first step of cell culture preparations. A 10 minute treatment of small tissue pieces (less than 1 mm cubed) will allow papain to begin breaking down the extracellular matrix molecules holding the cells together. After 10 minutes, the tissue should be treated with a protease inhibitor solution to stop the protease action (if left untreated papain's activity will lead to complete lysis of the cells). The tissue must then be triturated (passed quickly up and down through a Pasteur pipette) in order to break up the pieces of tissue into a single cell suspension.

HIJABI***
03-19-2007, 01:10 PM
jazakhallah brother 4 ur help uv helped me alot

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
HIJABI***
03-21-2007, 10:37 AM
can anyone help on that

Israa
03-21-2007, 05:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HIJABI***
can anyone help on that
I wish i could help U but i can't as i am not even in college yet but i will wish you the best of luck in doing well in your coursework. Inshallah someone else will be able to help.

Salaam and good luck with your coursework.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.