/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are DOGS Haram? If a dog licks me what should i do???

alidagreat
03-19-2007, 08:02 PM
Asalam Alaykum

I have heard that the saliva from Dogs is dirty (nigas), and i was wondering how do i clean myself after i have been licked by a dog. I have heard some people say that you are going to be dirty and inable to pray for 40 days after it happens. I don't believe that. I have heard my mom say that you have to do wudu 7 times with sand, to be cleansed.

Does anyone have a real answer that they can verify? Please help me and let me know.

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
03-19-2007, 08:16 PM
:salamext:

What is the ruling if a dog licks a Muslim’s clothes?

Question:

A simple question.

What is one to do when a dog licks

a) The skin of a person

I understand that you are supposed to rub soil/mud on to the affected area, but what if the clothing is delicate e.g a suit and might spoil?

Is dry cleaning not enough?

Thank you.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The scholars said that leftover water from which a dog has drunk and the saliva of dogs are naajis (unclean, impure), and that vessels and garments licked by a dog must be washed. It is reported in the Sunnah how a Muslim should purify these things if that happens.
Al-Bukhaari and Muslim reported from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If a dog licks the vessel of any one of you, let him throw away its contents, then wash it seven times.” Muslim added: “the first time with earth.” (Al-Bukhaari bi Haashiyat al-Sindi, 1/44; Muslim, 1/234).

The meaning of the word translated here as “lick” means if a dog puts its tongue into water, or whatever, regardless of whether or not it actually drinks. The hadeeth refers to vessels, but the scholars did not distinguish between vessels and other things in this regard. Al-‘Iraaqi said: “Vessels are mentioned because this is the usual scenario.”

The vessel or garment must be washed seven times, one of them being with earth. This is the opinion of Ibn ‘Abbaas and Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with them), according to one report. It was also the opinion of Ibn Seereen, Taawoos, al-Oozaa’i, al-Shaafa'i, Ahmad, Thawr, and others. (Al-Majmoo’, 2/586; al-Mughni, 1/46’ al-Muhallaa, 1/146; Nayl al-Awtaar, 1/74).

It is not the last washing that has to be done with earth, so there is no room for the objection mentioned in the question that this will make the clothes dirty. The clothes will be washed with water (after the washing with earth), and once they are dried and ironed, they will be cleaner than before. And Allaah knows best.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid .

- Qatada -
03-19-2007, 08:18 PM
How purification from the najaasah of a dog is done

Question:

How is purification from the najaasah (impurity) of a dog done? Is it essential to wash seven times or is once enough?.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Muslim (279) narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The purification of the vessel of one of you, if a dog licks it, is to wash it seven times, the first time with soil.”

And Muslim (280) narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn al-Mughaffal said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If a dog licks the vessel of one of you, let him wash it seven times and rub it with soil the eighth time.”

In these two ahaadeeth the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained how purification from the najaasah of a dog is to be done, which is by washing the vessel seven times, one of which should be with soil. Both are required.

Ibn Qudaamah (may Allaah have mercy on him) said in al-Mughni (1/73):
There is no difference of scholarly opinion concerning the fact that the najaasah of a dog must be washed seven times, one of which should be with soil. This is the view of al-Shaafa’i. End quote.

Al-Nawawi said in al-Majmoo’ (2/598):

The scholars differed concerning the licking of a dog. Our view is that it makes whatever it licked naajis (impure), and the vessel must be washed seven times, one of which must be with soil. This is the view of the majority of scholars. Ibn al-Mundhir narrated the view that it is obligatory to wash it seven times from Abu Hurayrah, Ibn ‘Abbaas, ‘Urwah ibn al-Zubayr, Tawoos, ‘Amr ibn Dinar, Maalik, al-Awzaa’i, Ahmad, Ishaaq, Abu ‘Ubayd and Abu Thawr. Ibn al-Mundhir said: This is also my opinion. End quote.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:
If the najaasah is somewhere other than on the ground and it is the najaasah of a dog, then it must be purified by washing it seven times, one of which must be with soil. End quote.
Majmoo’ Fataawa Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (11/245).

It is better if the first washing is the one that is done with soil, but if it is done otherwise that still achieves the purpose and purifies the place.
Al-Nawawi said in al-Majmoo’ (2/598):

It is mustahabb to use the soil in the first washing, and if that is not done then it is better to do it in any other time other than the seventh. But if it is done in the seventh it is permissible. It says in the reports in the Saheeh: “seven times” and “seven times, the first time with soil”; in one report it says “the last time” instead of “the first time.” In other reports it says, “seven times, the seventh with soil” and “seven times and the eighth time sprinkle it with soil.” Al-Bayhaqi and others narrated all these reports, which indicates that it is not essential that it be done the first time, rather that it be done one of those times. End quote.

Washing with soil may be done in several ways:

1- Washing with water then sprinkling soil on it
2- Sprinkling soil on it and following it with water
3- Mixing soil with water and washing the vessel with it.

This was stated by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen in Sharh Buloogh al-Maraam, hadeeth no. 14.

Islam Q&A

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&QR=

Kittygyal
03-19-2007, 08:22 PM
salamualikum.
am not very sure about that dude a good question indeed, hope we can get some reasonable answers from hadiths/qura'an inshallah because i would love to the because i have two puppies && also what about cats?
ma'assalama

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
alidagreat
03-19-2007, 08:55 PM
So if a dog licks my leg, do i need to Wash the area on my leg that was licked 7 times with water and 1 time with dirt?

OR

Do i need to do wudu 7 times with water, and 1 time with

Thanks

Kittygyal
03-19-2007, 09:00 PM
salamualikum
^then you gota do this *me think*

1- Washing with water then sprinkling soil on it
2- Sprinkling soil on it and following it with water
3- Mixing soil with water and washing the vessel with it.

ma'assalama

teen-gurl
03-19-2007, 09:05 PM
hmm...i know dat they r haram but bout the 'not doin ur pray for 40 days' i dont think dats true...ma cuzns a aalim n he's cumin bak dis week so i'll ask him if he knows
w.salaam

Kittygyal
03-19-2007, 09:06 PM
salamualikum.
^ah mashallah kewl :)
ma'assalama

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.