/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Educate me

noodles
03-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Salaam.

I haven't been attending college since February and for some reason can't find enough reason to go to class since I'm failing anyway. The same thing happened last semester and the result was a very low GPA (failed). I'm doing the exact same thing now once again.

I wake up on time, even earlier on most days. I have a breakfast most days, and some days I fast. Still I cant seem to go. The days that I do manage to go, I seem to sit in the lecture/class room doodling away on the side of my note book and paying no attention whatsoever to the lecturer. I usually don't even end up touching my text book and rather try to study from course notes online. Which seems to be an utter failure on my part.

What should I do?

Continue slopping off and not go?
Or
Try my best to catch up and talk to the counselors about my position.

I'm a first year and am currently studying architectural design in college.

I'll be honest here, Its not that the program is hard. In fact, it's anything but hard, since I know much of the stuff they do already. But its the lack of motivation to do it. There is also the factor that architectural design no longer interests me. Ever since I was 10 I had made up my mind to do it, but now that I am here, I cant seem to like how its going. And I'm in such a muck because I go to a design college and everything here has to do with either art or design. So transferring to another program would mean much more of the same thing.

I've spent hours trying to find what does motivate me, and there is not a thing that I can think of.

It was that my dad said, he would pay for my first year tuition. I thought perhaps that is what is wrong. That I don't appreciate him spending money on me. Regardless, I'm going to have to pay next year and I better 'school-up' my learning strategies.

I know I'm quite ignorant when it comes to other countries, but how does one get admitted into a college/universities in the UK or the USA? Because here in Canada, its generally students entering colleges and universities based on their marks from Grade 12 and 11.

I ask this because I'm considering a program change and I need to get away from this place. I need to learn to be independent and need to take care of my responsibilities. And unless I can do that, I feel as if I'm not going anywhere.

Right now, I'm really thinking about civil engineering or perhaps chemical engineering to get into, and if there is such a possibility that I can take an entrance exam to get into one of these in a good university, then I want to look into that.

Thanks for listening to my rants and ravings and I hope you may be able to help me in someway.

P.S... Occasionally, I dream about buying some land and forgetting all about this education and spending the rest of my life like that. Of course I'm not saying that option isn't available, because it certainly is.

Anyway, jazakallah khairun for your help brothers and sisters.:exhausted

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
The Ruler
03-22-2007, 08:35 PM
:sl:

answer to first question:

format_quote Originally Posted by noodles
That I don't appreciate him spending money on me
and why is that?...because you think that you dnt deserve it?...that it isnt worth it?

but how does one get admitted into a college/universities in the UK or the USA?
in the UK, to get into a college, you need to fit i with their criteria. this would depend on what type of college you are going to. if it is a typical normal onw, its easy...if it a challenging one/a grammer one, the expectations are quite high.

for universties, i am not quite sure about student from abroad but from a UK student's point of view, all i need to do is to get the required expectations. eg. i need Chemistry A-levels to study medicine. it is compulsory with an addition of one/two more sciences.

Thanks for listening to my rants and ravings
you're welcome.

:w:

'Abd al-Baari
03-27-2007, 07:00 PM
:sl:

What should I do?

Continue slopping off and not go?
Or
Carry on definetly bro, it fits both islamicly and academicly, if you continue with your studies Inshallah you'll get a good job and islamicly you one should keep promises, and by starting the course you made a promise

noodles
03-27-2007, 08:50 PM
I think I just got another chance at my career. :smile:

I found out, that the courses I had failed are available over the summer. It seems my prayers paid off. ;D

You know what though, atleast I did gain something valuable out of this situation. I've become more closer to my religion and value it much more. I hope [Inshallah] that this faith isn't shaken anytime soon as I find much comfort in it.

In my humble opinion, I think education today[In terms of degrees/diplomas] are very over-valued. In a sense, it makes man think they can acheive anything possible. Yet when you open your mind and look at the people around you, you see many individuals doing much more without going through this hardships. Nevertheless, everyone makes their own path to success. And I must make mine. Firstly success in the eyes of Allah, then success for my parents and then for myself. Its a long road brothers and sisters, so get those books out and start studying.

Jazakallah khair for the advise.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.