/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I Need references pls help...

Tilmeez
03-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Can a new convert carry on his old name? Or it is mandatory to have a muslim name? say that particular man do not have a SHIRKIYA name.

Curcumsation (dono spelling) KHTNA is mandatory for a convert?

Kindly provide me with reference (text also if possible) as i have to forward it to a brother in Indonesia who has just converted to islam from Christinaty.

any other good references for his help are also requested.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Tilmeez
03-24-2007, 05:53 AM
come on :brother:s n :sister:s

Tiger_Stripes
03-24-2007, 06:13 AM
He can carry on his old name definitely.

Tilmeez
03-27-2007, 05:14 AM
:(
:(

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
shible
03-27-2007, 05:36 AM
:sl:
hope this might help you

Question:
Upon becoming muslim, how important is it to change your name?and what is the differance between an arabic name and a muslim name?.

Answer:
Praise be to Allaah.

Names carry meanings, and every person will be influenced by (the meaning of) his name, in most cases. Man is required to call himself – or his children – by good names with good meanings, so that they will be influenced positively by their names.

Islam came to the Arabs and the non-Arabs, and it is not essential for a new Muslim to take an Arabic name, rather what is required is that he should not have a name that is ugly or carries a meaning that goes against Islam. Many Persians and Byzantines embraced Islam and kept their names, and did not change them. Indeed many of the Prophets had names that were not Arabic because they were not Arabs.

Shaykh ‘Abd al-‘Azeez ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked: Does a person who becomes Muslim have to change his name like George or Joseph etc?

He replied:

He does not have to change his name unless it is a name that reflects servitude to someone or something other than Allaah, but it is good to change his name to something better. So if he changes his name from a foreign name to an Islamic name, that is good, but as to whether it is obligatory, no it is not.

But if his name was ‘Abd al-Maseeh [= “slave of the Messiah”, a name common among Arab Christians; a similar name in English cultures would be “Christopher” -- Translator] or something of that nature, then he should change it, but if the name does not imply servitude to anything or anyone other than Allaah, such as George and Paul, etc., then he does not have to change it, because these names are shared by Christians and others. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Fataawa Islamiyyah, 4/404.

:w:

shible
03-27-2007, 05:43 AM

Here is one more issue

Question:

I married a muslim man 6 years ago and converted to Islam
I was planning to go for Umra but I have heard that I cannot go because I still use my christian name which is XXXX . This name is on my passport and all other documents, although I have a muslim name also which is XXXX .
Please advise me wether or not I have to legally change my name before applying for Umra or Haj.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

From the point of view of sharee’ah, the validity of a person’s Hajj or ‘Umrah has nothing to do with their name. So long as there is no haraam meaning in your old name, it is permissible for you to keep it, although using an Arabic name that has an acceptable meaning is better. From the official point of view, when you go to the embassy to apply for the Hajj entry visa, it should be sufficient for you to take a certificate from the Islamic centre proving that you have embraced Islam; insha Allaah there should be nothing to prevent you from coming to perform Hajj. You should hasten to do Hajj and ‘Umrah as soon as possible, accompanied by a Muslim mahram (husband, or close relative to whom marriage is permanently forbidden). And Allaah is the source of strength.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

E'jaazi
03-27-2007, 06:52 AM
You should also keep the last name of your father. I didn't find out about the ruling until after I had changed my whole name.

How a new Muslim should change his name

Question:

I was given the name Tyrone Anthony Parker at birth by my non-muslims parents. After taking shahada, I changed my name to Bilaal Faaruwq Abdus-Salaam. I have recently found out that I shouldn't have left my family name and I plan on returning to it. If my parents tell me to return to my given name (Tyrone-has pagan origins ; Anthony-means flourishing) do I have to do it?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

For the one whom Allaah has guided to Islam, it is sufficient for him to choose an Islamic first name for himself and to keep his father’s name or surname, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not command the Sahaabah to change their fathers’ and grandfathers’ names when they embraced Islam. However, he did change the first names of those who had names with forbidden or undesirable meanings. Because your first name has pagan origins, your changing it to another name, such as Bilaal, is proper and correct. But you should keep the rest of your name and surname as it is; this will please your parents. May Allah guide them, and may He give us and you strength. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad.

Islam Q&A

Tilmeez
03-27-2007, 07:46 AM
Ajrokum Minnallah Brothers.
Can you please extend it to circumsation(Khatna)?

Ma'assalama

shible
03-27-2007, 08:10 AM

Since the articles on Al-Khitaan are big i am posting you the links sis

Al-Khitaan :: Source 1

Al-Khitaan :: Source 2

Al-Khitaan :: Source 3

Hope they are Benefitial

Tilmeez
03-27-2007, 09:08 AM
thank you Akhi
i am posting you the links sis
PS: does my information show me so :P

shible
03-27-2007, 10:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tilmeez
thank you Akhi
PS: does my information show me so :P
OOps Sorry Bro. i never checked the gender but concluded by the name

:exhausted :phew :X

Snowflake
03-27-2007, 10:09 AM
It is not mandatory for reverts to be circumcised.

Is it compulsory for a Non-Muslim man to be circumcised upon conversion?

A boy who has not attained puberty must be circumcised when his family converts to Islam. Circumcision is optional for a man above the age of puberty. But he who opts not to be circumcised should regularly clean the area underneath the foreskin of his **** because, in Islam, cleanliness of the body is obligatory for performing prayers.

http://www.themodernreligion.com/con...rsion_main.htm

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.