/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Double standards!

InToTheRain
03-28-2007, 09:16 PM
A simple test to show just how media is selective of what they say. READ THIS ARTICLE!

[PIE]Cosby Gets Cheers, Lerner Gets Death Threats
by David Siegel

As a Jew who is critical of Israeli policy, I am no stranger to confrontation. Despite the strain I've placed on my personal relationships, despite having to stand alone in political debates, I have always been vocal in my defense of the cause of Palestine. A few weeks ago, however, I began to feel as I was fighting a losing battle.

It began to seem natural that everyone sticks by their group, right or wrong, as a simple matter of survival. Who was I to defy this basic law of human relations? This feeling nagged me until June 2nd, when I picked up an article entitled Hooray for Bill Cosby.

Cosby's comments at the May 17th commemoration of Brown vs. the Board of Education have received widespread attention. "The lower economic people are not holding up their end in this deal," he said. Referring to a black youth shot to death by police for stealing a piece of pound cake, he remarked "what the hell was he doing with the pound cake in his hand?"

Cosby's statements implying that the ills of poor blacks are self-inflicted were met with virtually unanimous applause from the media. Dick Myer of CBSNews.com, in his May 26th piece praising Cosby, wrote that he expected to report on the controversy, but found that "there was no chorus of criticism." DeWayne Wickham of USA Today wrote an article entitled Cosby Isn't Alone in Asking Blacks to Own Up to Problems. Syndicated columnist Brent Bozell III wrote An Ovation for Bill Cosby.

What an amazing double standard! When blacks criticize other blacks, they are praised for their "tough love" and for their courage in telling hard truths about their race. When Jews criticize Israel, however, they are ridiculed, labeled "self-hating Jews," and even threatened with death.

Though I find it disgraceful that successful writers should so unhesitatingly agree that institutional racism is dead, my purpose here is not to address that issue. Rather, I want to contrast media reaction when blacks and Jews, respectively, criticize other members of their race.

Statements such as Cosby's are unexceptional. NAACP President Kweisi Mfume commented: "Much of what he said I've been saying in my speeches."

Compare this with the treatment of "self-hating Jews." Most often our activities are ignored by the media. When we do receive public attention, our views are mocked or obscured.

Noam Chomsky, the most prominent Jewish critic of Israeli policy, has made note of Israel's frequent disregard of U.N. resolutions and continuing illegal occupation of Palestinian territory. While Chomsky's opinions on this complex issue are open to debate, the press rarely even engages his actual statements. Take Deborah Solomon's New York Times Magazine interview with Chomsky, from the November 2nd, 2003 issue. After some opening questions about Chomsky's non-political work in linguistics, Solomon goes on the offensive:

"Your father was a respected Hebraic scholar, and sometimes you sound like a self-hating Jew."

Chomsky responds:

"It is a shame that critics of Israeli policies are seen as either anti-Semites or self-hating Jews. It's grotesque. If an Italian criticized Italian policies, would he be seen as a self-hating Italian?"

Solomon's next question: "Have you ever been psychoanalyzed?" She ends the interview shortly by asking "Have you considered leaving the United States permanently?"

Solomon doesn't even do Chomsky the courtesy of criticizing his position. She goes straight into a personal attack, first calling him a "self-hating Jew," then questioning his sanity, and finally implying that he should leave the country. A more striking contrast with the media's uncritical approval of Cosby's remarks could not be imagined.

Opponents of Rabbi Michael Lerner, another critic of Israel's policies, were not content with name-calling. In the July/August 2001 issue of Lerner's publication Tikkun, he wrote:

".an Israeli website called "self-hate" has identified me as one of the five enemies of the Jewish people, and printed my home address and driving instructions on how to get to my home. We reported this to the police, the Israeli Consulate, and to the Anti Defamation League. The ADL said this was not a 'hate crime'."

To date the ADL has not taken any action on Lerner's behalf. Again, contrast with this the NAACP's support of Bill Cosby, with Mfume even going so far as to echo Cosby's statements.

What are the reasons for this astonishing divergence? Cosby and Chomsky have both made roughly parallel statements criticizing other members of their ethnicity. Blacks and Jews both share a legacy of persecution. Both groups have a history of being betrayed by their own, and are leery of traitors. Cosby's remarks establish that it's well within the bounds of mainstream discourse to criticize one's own race. Why, then, are American Jews prohibited from criticizing the State of Israel?

The simplest explanation is that the powerless are easy to criticize and the powerful are not. Poor blacks make a soft target. Many of them are probably unaware of Cosby's statements entirely, and none are in a position to bring any consequences down on him. The Israeli government, represented by the lobbying muscle of AIPAC, on the other hand, can make things very uncomfortable for its critics.

Furthermore, it is in the interests of the business elites who hire and fire America's pundits to discourage a costly effort to right systemic wrongs against people of color. Likewise, these elites surely want to safeguard their profitable relationship with the Israeli state, with its billions of dollars in defense and industrial contracts.

As a Jew, I feel I have not only the right but the responsibility to speak out against injustices committed in my name. And I have more claim to the words "tough love" than a sell-out like Bill Cosby ever will.

[/PIE]

Micheal Lerner is seen by the Zionists in Israel like Salmal Rushdie is seen by Muslims. Just to show how selective Media is about what they choose to report, go to the BBC news search engine here:

BBC NEWS SEARCH

Now type in "Salman Rushdie" you get more 9 pages of results and headline. Nowwrite "Micheal Lerner" and you get 0 RESULTS!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aamirsaab
03-28-2007, 11:17 PM
:sl:
Please provide a link to the actual article.

Cognescenti
03-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Phht. Who cares about American Jews critical of Israel? It's not some conspiracy involving the media, which is, by the way, substantially more pro-Palestinian than the bulk of the US population. Its just not a big news story. Has some internationally known and influential Rabbi issued a fatwa on Lerner?

Get back to us when that happens, will you?

Muezzin
03-28-2007, 11:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Phht. Who cares about American Jews critical of Israel?
Well, you do for one, otherwise you wouldn't have read and commented on this thread.

Anyway, the writer of the article wasn't talking about a media conspiracy. He was talking about the ad hominem remarks Jewish critics of Israel received from fellow Jewish reporters in response to their criticisms, as opposed to the ovation that Bill Cosby received for criticising certain black people for stealing and getting shot.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cognescenti
03-29-2007, 12:39 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Well, you do for one, otherwise you wouldn't have read and commented on this thread.

Anyway, Lerner wasn't talking about a media conspiracy. He was talking about the ad hominem remarks he received from fellow Jewish reporters in response to his criticisms, as opposed to the ovation that Bill Cosby received for criticising certain black people for stealing and getting shot.
And those Jewish reporters who are sympathetic to his view? Did they attack him? What about anti-semitic reporters? There have to be a few of them skulking about. Shouldn't they eat up his criticism of Israel? And the legions of left-wingers in the media? They resent Israeli power and historically side with the Palestinians. Shouldn't they applaud his position.

His implication is that there is a systematic pro-Israeli bias in American Media. That is rubbish. There is in the Congress...but not in the media. There are well organized pro-Israel PR entities...but they should not be confused with news sources. There job is to shape the news, not report it.

As for Cosby not getting criticized for his "pull yourself up by your boostraps" argument. He most certainly was. he was a human pinata for a while.

The author, Siegel, is a baby. He can't stand the heat of the kitchen.

Keltoi
03-29-2007, 03:22 AM
Bill Cosby was largely demonized by the black community after his comments. Anti-Israeli Jews just aren't a point of interest for Americans. In America you will find people who are proponents or opponents of any issue. The reason the Cosby story got so much press coverage is because the state of the black community is part of the American experience, it is about American people. The state of Israel is important to politicians and religious fundamentalists, but not so much for the average American.

KAding
03-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Not a good comparison for double standards IMHO. He is comparing apples with oranges here. One refers to the economic and social position of one ethnic group in the US itself. The other refers to an actual military conflict in the Middle East.

NoName55
03-29-2007, 09:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by aamirsaab
:sl:
Please provide a link to the actual article.
:w:

Cosby Gets Cheers, Lerner Gets Death Threats

Cosby Gets Cheers, Lerner Gets Death Threats. by David Siegel. As a Jew who is critical of Israeli policy, I am no stranger to confrontation. ...
www.commondreams.org/views04/0608-10.htm

:: I WANT CHANGE!!! iwantchange.org ::

Cosby Gets Cheers, Lerner Gets Death Threats Why Can't I be Critical of Israel? By David Siegel, www.commondreams.org As a Jew who is critical of Israeli ...
www.iwantchange.org/atro_ff.php?id=184

InToTheRain
03-29-2007, 09:43 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by KAding
Not a good comparison for double standards IMHO. He is comparing apples with oranges here. One refers to the economic and social position of one ethnic group in the US itself. The other refers to an actual military conflict in the Middle East.
Be consistent with reasoning!
Salmuam Rushdie, Bill Cosby, Micheal Lerner we could all say have one thing in common--> They criticise their own people. However We have all head about Salman Rushdie and Bill Cosby, but why hasn't the media drawn attention to Micheal Lerner? DOUBLE STANDARDS!

InToTheRain
03-29-2007, 09:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Bill Cosby was largely demonized by the black community after his comments. Anti-Israeli Jews just aren't a point of interest for Americans. In America you will find people who are proponents or opponents of any issue. The reason the Cosby story got so much press coverage is because the state of the black community is part of the American experience, it is about American people. The state of Israel is important to politicians and religious fundamentalists, but not so much for the average American.
When people are making death threats to an individual for criticising their own people I think it will spark the interest of all individuals. Salman Rushdie gets the hype, police protection etc and Micheal Lerner, where was he?

Be consistent with reasoning, it make me sick when I get the double standards from people in this forum as well :exhausted

IbnAbdulHakim
03-29-2007, 10:18 AM
:salamext:

jazakAllah khair noname55, its amazing the amount of ways people have to attack islam.

yet islam is successful,

Fain would they extinguish Allah's light with their mouths, but Allah will not allow but that His light should be perfected, even though the Unbelievers may detest (it).
Al-Tawbah Verse 32

InToTheRain
04-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Double Standards! STOP IT!

Attachment 3024

Cognescenti
04-02-2007, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by WnbSlveOfAllah
When people are making death threats to an individual for criticising their own people I think it will spark the interest of all individuals. Salman Rushdie gets the hype, police protection etc and Micheal Lerner, where was he?

Be consistent with reasoning, it make me sick when I get the double standards from people in this forum as well :exhausted
Wnb;

I take it you aren't American. You seemd to have missed Keltoi's point. I realize this may be hard to believe for those who have been raised on the idea of a single-minded American support of Israel, but most American's really could care less about Israel. There is no double standard here. It's simply not a big news story.

Salman Rushdie was a big story because it was one of the first indications (by Western perceptions) of the degree of disconnect between the West and the Muslim world. After all, a major theological leader issued a fatwa for the death of Rushdie. It was if the Archbishop of Canterbury put out a public murder contract on Aaron Spelling. Even so, it was hardly water cooler talk.

Cosby did get enormous public pressure about his position. In fact, he is still ostracized.

Death threats aside, I have major doubts there is a neurologist, a CPA and two tax lawyers in ski masks waiting outside Lerner's house right now.

You need to broaden your reading list a bit, I think.

InToTheRain
04-02-2007, 06:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Cognescenti
Wnb;

I take it you aren't American. You seemd to have missed Keltoi's point. I realize this may be hard to believe for those who have been raised on the idea of a single-minded American support of Israel, but most American's really could care less about Israel. There is no double standard here. It's simply not a big news story.

Salman Rushdie was a big story because it was one of the first indications (by Western perceptions) of the degree of disconnect between the West and the Muslim world. After all, a major theological leader issued a fatwa for the death of Rushdie. It was if the Archbishop of Canterbury put out a public murder contract on Aaron Spelling. Even so, it was hardly water cooler talk.

Cosby did get enormous public pressure about his position. In fact, he is still ostracized.

Death threats aside, I have major doubts there is a neurologist, a CPA and two tax lawyers in ski masks waiting outside Lerner's house right now.

You need to broaden your reading list a bit, I think.
I am not Americam, but am British and am shocked at the double standards. I did not hear of the death threats a Micheal Lerner was getting, if the Media had not been biased maybe the general mass of people would've heard of it and offer some sort of support. Fair enough, maybe the "majority" of the people in America would not be interested in Micheal Lerners work, but throw in a Death Threat and everyone would be in a frenzy to read it because they would want to know what could have prompted people to kill some one for critising them, Just like Salman Rushdie. If the Media had not given the Publicity to Salman Rushdie, he would be Dust under the Carpet. Micheal Lerner did not get the same Publicity due to the double standards within the Media. Be consistent with your reasoning, do not make excuses for double standards or in support of it, STOP IT!

:exhausted

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.