/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Which is better: few sins or many good deeds?

Ibn Abi Ahmed
03-31-2007, 03:25 AM
:sl:

Ibn 'Abbas was once asked about what he preferred: a man with many sins but many good deeds as well, or a man with few good deeds but few sins as well? So, he answered: "Nothing can compare to being protected," meaning, the one with few sins is more beloved to me.

Some of the scholars said: "Every low and despised one can perform an act of obedience, but the noble one is he who abandons acts of disobedience."

And in the Book of Allah, there is proof that to abandon acts of disobedience is more virtuous than to perform acts of obedience, since Allah - the Exalted - indicates a limit or condition to the reward for the good deed that is brought in the Hereafter, while in regards to the abandonment of sins, He placed no such limits or conditions, as Allah - the Exalted - says: {"Whoever comes with a good deed will have (the reward) of ten like it."} [al-An'am; 160] and, the Exalted says: {"...and prevented the soul from its desire, then Paradise will be the destination."} [an-Nazi'at; 40-41] and desire is the basis of every sin.

Many conditions have been placed on good deeds being accepted, as well as there being specified times when they are to be performed. With this, the action is up to the Will of Allah to be accepted and be a cause of entrance into Paradise - with His Mercy and Favor - or to be rejected. But, with a sin, the only condition placed on its abandonment being a cause of entrance into Paradise is simply that it be abandoned, as Allah says: {"If you avoid the major sins that We have forbidden, We will expiate your sins for you and enter you a noble entrance..."} [an-Nisa'; 31] and it is Paradise.

[Adapted from 'Tanbih ul-Ghafilin' (Informing the Heedless) by Abul-Layth as-Samarqandi; chapter on 'Sins']

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
siFilam
04-01-2007, 04:04 AM
:salamext:
brother Al Madani,
may I ask where do u get these interesting articles from. I'm not asking because I disagree with you or anything. I've been reading your threads and Masahallah your posts are very beneficial. Is there a website that u get these from. Thanks for ur time.
wasalam
-SI-

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-01-2007, 05:01 PM

Most of these are actually translated by a brother at another forum (IN) and he posts them up, so I just transfer them here so more people can benefit from it.

Yanal
04-01-2007, 05:04 PM
which forum can u tell me the website so i can join in?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
siFilam
04-01-2007, 10:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Madani

Most of these are actually translated by a brother at another forum (IN) and he posts them up, so I just transfer them here so more people can benefit from it.
:w:
can u name the forum. plz.
jazakallah khair

-SI-

Ibn Abi Ahmed
04-01-2007, 11:50 PM

I did, it's the IN forums @ http://talk.islamicnetwork.com/index.php

'Abd al-Baari
04-02-2007, 10:04 AM

Masallah another great post, Jazakallah for sharing

AmarFaisal
04-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Jazakallah Khair Brother

Malaikah
04-02-2007, 12:11 PM

Jazakallah khayr!

Pk_#2
04-02-2007, 12:30 PM
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullah,

JazakAllah akhi :)

Who is better in speech than one who calls (men) to Allah works righteousness and says "I am of those who bow in Islam"?

Nor can Goodness and Evil be equal. Repel (Evil) with what is better: then will he between whom and thee was hatred become as it were thy friend and intimate!

And no one will be granted such goodness except those who exercise patience and self-restraint none but persons of the greatest good fortune.
Surah Ha-Mim 41:33-35

“When Allah decreed the Creation He pledged Himself by writing in His book which is laid down with Him: My mercy prevails over my wrath.”(Hadith Qudsi)

WalaykumSalaam Warahmatullah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.