/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Truth or religion?

cali dude
03-31-2007, 05:31 PM
Well folks,

I believe that truth is highest of all, even higher than religions.

First of all, do you agree with this?

Secondly, you may have seen people getting offended by the truth about their religion because they think truth makes their religion look bad.

Do you think it makes sense to get offended by the truth? I personally don't think so.

Also since religion is supposed to be pure with nothing bad at all, do you think you should leave the religion if you find enough evidence of wrongdoings in a religion? Now when I mention religion, it's not referring to people of the religion in general. But the founders of the religion or the main people in the religion.

Thank you very much :)

PS: Please keep in mind I am discussing religion in general and there is no attack on any religion in particular.

Also, please keep in mind that there is reason why my way of life is undisclosed. That means I may agree with everything Sikhi has to say but it does not make me a Sikh, a true Sikh for that matter. So, do not attack Sikhi in anyway while responding to my post(s).

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Trumble
03-31-2007, 05:53 PM
You are making the huge assumption that 'truth' is absolute rather than relative. Whether it actually is has been hotly debated by philosophers as long as there have been philosophers.

There are two types of religious people. The first will happily accept that truth is probably relative. The others believe it to be absolute, but so closely linked to their religion (specifically to God) that the two are, to all intents and purposes, the same; they cannot acknowledge any attempted distinction between the two.

Good luck!

Keltoi
03-31-2007, 06:01 PM
Well, there is material "truth" and religious "truth". Faith is so aligned with "truth" that it is hard to separate one from the other, at least in the case of people with faith.

snakelegs
03-31-2007, 08:31 PM
i agree with trumble - you are assuming that "truth" is absolute.
a person's religion is their truth.
when you talk about people getting offended when confronted with the truth of their relgion - you are making another assumption. since religion is built on faith - how can you positively say it is false?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
samah12
03-31-2007, 08:42 PM
The word of God is absolute truth. Where the truth becomes relative is when mankind begins to translate or interpret the word of God.

I could call myself Muslim, Jew, Christian etc but I still believe in the same God, all that changes is my belief in mankinds interpretations of Gods words (which if we are truthful the basis of peace, tolerance, charity, etc change very little between the religions).

Keltoi
03-31-2007, 08:46 PM
Yes, but would the Word of God, which I agree is the ultimate Truth, qualify as the truth for a non-believer or someone of a different faith altogether?

samah12
03-31-2007, 08:55 PM
Hmmm interesting question Keltoi and one would have to assume no. As mathmatics and most science is still not 'proven' then you would have to say that there is no absolute truth for a non believer.

Perhaps their only truth is that we are all born and we all die? Or is this statement in intself relative?

This is a great question......gives the brain a workout lol

snakelegs
03-31-2007, 08:56 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Keltoi
Yes, but would the Word of God, which I agree is the ultimate Truth, qualify as the truth for a non-believer or someone of a different faith altogether?
no it wouldn't - but that doesn't prove anything. it is true for you. how can anyone "prove" that it is not true?

samah12
03-31-2007, 09:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
no it wouldn't - but that doesn't prove anything. it is true for you. how can anyone "prove" that it is not true?
The religious part of my brain wants to answer you can't 'prove' it is not true because Allah is the ultimate truth but as a scientist I have no alternative than to accept that we cannot 'prove' the existence of Allah.

Just because something is true for one person does not make it true for another. So does truth require consensus?

snakelegs
03-31-2007, 09:08 PM
no, i don't think it requires "consensus".
allah is the ultimate truth - this is true for you, but maybe not for someone else. is one right and the other wrong? not in my view, but it really doesn't matter because it can not be proven either way and it requires no proof.
it is certainly true for the billion + muslims in any case.
i think cali dude's question is based on a false premise.

samah12
03-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Certainly for me no proof is required, Allah is the ultimate truth. It is still an interesting question to mull over, what is truth?

The second part of the question "you may have seen people getting offended by the truth about their religion because they think truth makes their religion look bad". I don't think we can say the truth about any religion makes it look bad, it is mans interpretations that can make a religion look bad.

snakelegs
03-31-2007, 09:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by samah12
Certainly for me no proof is required, Allah is the ultimate truth. It is still an interesting question to mull over, what is truth?

The second part of the question "you may have seen people getting offended by the truth about their religion because they think truth makes their religion look bad". I don't think we can say the truth about any religion makes it look bad, it is mans interpretations that can make a religion look bad.
again, who is in any position to declare the truth about someone else's religion? it's ridiculous really. you know the truth about your religion and that's all that is necessary. nobody else knows any better than you.

samah12
03-31-2007, 09:44 PM
again, who is in any position to declare the truth about someone else's religion? it's ridiculous really. you know the truth about your religion and that's all that is necessary. nobody else knows any better than you.
Correct Snakelegs but then does that make all truth individual perseption? Is a sphere round or does it depend on your perseption?

snakelegs
03-31-2007, 09:54 PM
religion is immaterial so it is a different system than science or the material world. this makes it no less real, but it means that it neither has nor requires proof.
as an agnostic, i believe in no religion, but i would certainly be in no position to declare any one of them false.
now the originial poster says "do not attack sikhi in any way while responding". so....does this mean he would think it's ok to point out "the truth" about someone else's religion, but that person could not point out "the truth" about sikhism?
to me the whole premise of this thread is rather absurd. who knows "the truth" about somebody else's religion (which is their truth and just as valid as the questioner's)?

Talha777
03-31-2007, 09:55 PM
First of all, the concept of "religion" itself differs from faith to faith. So that some faiths are merely a system of rituals, such as Judaism, or a system of beliefs, such as Christianity, and more or less do not go beyond that. Islam on the other hand is not simply a mazhab, it is a deen. The word deen means much more than "Religion" from a western conception. Islam is the Truth (capital T), whereas all other faiths and religions may possess some truth (lower case t). Islam has guidance for every aspect of humanity, whether in the political, economic, social, psychological, or spiritual, etc. So you will find that many Christians or any other faith community will claim that Truth transcends even their faith, but you will never find a Muslim say this. There is no higher truth for man to discover other than what Allah Taala has already revealed in the Holy Quran. There is no higher noble cause of justice or peace other than what Islam has already enjoined upon humanity. There is no higher belief or theology or mode of prayer other than what Islam has already given us, etc., etc.

The Truth is from thy Lord; so be not at all in doubt. (2:147)

snakelegs
03-31-2007, 09:59 PM
i don't think islam is wrong or false.
but i refuse to accept that there is only one way to god. but then, obviously, if i felt as you do, i wouldn't be an agnostic - i would be a muslim!

Talha777
03-31-2007, 10:04 PM
There is a saying of Holy Prophet Muhammad (Sall Allahu alaihi wa sala'am) to the effect that the path to Allah is straight (Siratul Mustaqeem), but that every other path which people are tempted to take are diversions from the straight path. He proceeded to draw in the sand a straight line (Siratul Mustaqeem) and then he drew several horizontal lines on each side of the straight line, which represent the many different paths which Iblis (Beelzebub) invites man towards. Only the straight path leads to salvation, the crooked paths, no matter how close their angle is to 90 degrees will all ultimately lead to destruction.

snakelegs
03-31-2007, 10:08 PM
well, to an outsider - this is the same as the christian saying there is only one way and that is to believe in jesus. both claim to have exclusive possession of The Truth.
i understand your belief. i just don't share it.

Trumble
03-31-2007, 10:32 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
There is a saying of Holy Prophet Muhammad (Sall Allahu alaihi wa sala'am) to the effect that the path to Allah is straight (Siratul Mustaqeem), but that every other path which people are tempted to take are diversions from the straight path. He proceeded to draw in the sand a straight line (Siratul Mustaqeem) and then he drew several horizontal lines on each side of the straight line, which represent the many different paths which Iblis (Beelzebub) invites man towards. Only the straight path leads to salvation, the crooked paths, no matter how close their angle is to 90 degrees will all ultimately lead to destruction.
But surely you can see that that amounts to no more than "the 'truth' I believe in is right while the 'truth' other people believe in is wrong". There is no more reason for someone not of your faith to believe your version is right than somebody else's.

The only approach that makes any sense to me is to assume that the religious experience, if not the details, must be much the same for everybody. Everybody is seeking the same thing, and so ultimately must do much the same things to find it; that's why I think such claimed monopolies are a little absurd. If one particular religion was so obviously 'right' then there would only be one religion.

Talha777
03-31-2007, 11:21 PM
But surely you can see that that amounts to no more than "the 'truth' I believe in is right while the 'truth' other people believe in is wrong". There is no more reason for someone not of your faith to believe your version is right than somebody else's.
First of all, though Islam is nothing but the Truth, I do not deny that some religions, such as Christianity, contain some truth, but overall are saturated in falsehood. Beliefs should be logical and rational, and only Islam as a whole fits this criterion. Other religions are by and large unverifiable and their respective adherents believe in them blindly. Our belief in the Holy Quran, which contains so many prophecies, many of which have been fulfilled, and our belief in the Holy Prophet (Sall Allahu alaihi wa salaam), who performed heavenly miracles testified to by so many eye witnesses that cannot be explained away other than that they were from Allah, are obviously not based on "blind faith".

The only approach that makes any sense to me is to assume that the religious experience, if not the details, must be much the same for everybody. Everybody is seeking the same thing, and so ultimately must do much the same things to find it; that's why I think such claimed monopolies are a little absurd. If one particular religion was so obviously 'right' then there would only be one religion.
The religious experience is NOT the same for everybody. If you are practicing any number of the false religions, your so called "experience" is hollow and of no peculiar substance. But the religious experience of Islamic worship is unique in that it is true communion with Almighty Allah (Subhana wa Taala). The answering of prayers from Allah Taala and the numerous examples of faith healings and inspirational dreams which are the common religious experiences of the Believers cannot be reproduced among the disbelievers. The disbelievers' prayers are not answered and they have no relation with Allah whatsoever:

Regarding the gods and deities which the non-Muslims worship, Allah says about them:

If ye invoke them, they will not listen to your call, and if they were to listen, they cannot answer your (prayer). On the Day of Judgment they will reject your "Partnership". and none, (O man!) can tell thee (the Truth) like the One Who is acquainted with all things. (35:14)

*A small point on "if they were to listen", this is referring to those false gods which people worship who are in fact human beings or other creation of Allah which has faculty of hearing, but are still not divine or share power with Allah.

On the other hand, Allah says regarding the Believers's supplication to Him:

And your Lord says: "Call on Me; I will answer your (prayer) (40:60)

Now regarding your contention that if one particular religion is right there would only be one religion. This is an illogical and invalid argument. To any question there can be a number of given answers, but that does not mean all of the answers are correct. Islam was the original religion revealed to Adam (alaihi salaam). Many religions such as Christianity or Judaism may have their roots in Islam, but in fact they are heretical deviations from the original Islam. Other religions are completely manmade and therefore cannot even claim to say they follow the Truth. For example, today's neopaganism and wicca cults were introduced out of a desire to formulate in a "matriarchal" religion as an act of defiance against the "patriarchy" in traditional religion. Whatever the merits of formulating such a religion are, the fact remains that such religions come from the ideas of mankind and are not divinely revealed. You yourself according to your profile claim to be a Buddhists, but traditional Therevada Buddhism does not even believe in God or have a concept of the Divine, and therefore has no objective truth. Everything in Buddhism is subjective. Buddhism is therefore not even a religion but basically a school of psychology. Any and every of the "religious experiences" its follows claim to have are nothing but psychological phenomena. On the other hand, the religious experiences of Muslims cannot be explained other than that they are from Allah.

Pygoscelis
04-01-2007, 12:20 AM
Truth, knowledge, and belief are all very different things.

I believe that truth exists independent of our perception, else I have difficulty seeing how our "worlds" could interact.

samah12
04-01-2007, 12:34 AM
[QUOTE=Pygoscelis;700779]

I believe that truth exists independent of our perceptionQUOTE]

Think anyone would have a hard time arguing with that!

Trumble
04-01-2007, 01:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Talha777
Beliefs should be logical and rational, and only Islam as a whole fits this criterion.
Islam doesn't even come close to either. It makes some attempt in that direction, as does much Christian theology, but the whole pseudo-logical edifice is based on a fundamental assumption, i.e the existence of God, which is unproven and, in all likelihood unprovable. Faith.

Other religions are by and large unverifiable and their respective adherents believe in them blindly.
Islam is no more verifiable than any other religion. Faith.

who performed heavenly miracles testified to by so many eye witnesses that cannot be explained away other than that they were from Allah, are obviously not based on "blind faith".
What miracles? What witnesses? Provide one piece of evidence that is remotely credible in terms of structured historical study. Faith.

If you are practicing any number of the false religions, your so called "experience" is hollow and of no peculiar substance.
Prove that one of those false religions is not yours. Faith.

But the religious experience of Islamic worship is unique in that it is true communion with Almighty Allah (Subhana wa Taala).
Who may or may not exist. Can you prove He does to any standard acceptable to someone who doesn't already believe it? In three thousand years, nobody else has. Faith.

The answering of prayers from Allah Taala and the numerous examples of faith healings and inspirational dreams which are the common religious experiences of the Believers cannot be reproduced among the disbelievers.
Give me one scientifically verifiable example of faith healing. Faith.

The disbelievers' prayers are not answered and they have no relation with Allah whatsoever
Apart from the obvious comment that disbelievers are unlikely to be praying, give me one example where it can be proven a prayer has been answered by God? Faith.

Regarding the gods and deities which the non-Muslims worship, Allah says about them:

If ye invoke them, they will not listen to your call, and if they were to listen, they cannot answer your (prayer). On the Day of Judgment they will reject your "Partnership". and none, (O man!) can tell thee (the Truth) like the One Who is acquainted with all things. (35:14)

*A small point on "if they were to listen", this is referring to those false gods which people worship who are in fact human beings or other creation of Allah which has faculty of hearing, but are still not divine or share power with Allah.

On the other hand, Allah says regarding the Believers's supplication to Him:

And your Lord says: "Call on Me; I will answer your (prayer) (40:60)
And where can I go to hear Allah say these things now? Today? Faith.

Now regarding your contention that if one particular religion is right there would only be one religion. This is an illogical and invalid argument. To any question there can be a number of given answers, but that does not mean all of the answers are correct.
An isolated contention does not constitute an argument, and so can be neither illogical or invalid. I didn't make one because I know I can't prove it.. there's faith in there too, but at least I admit it. However, I agree it does not necessarily mean that all answers are correct. Now please provide me with a valid (and sound) argument demonstrating they are not?

Islam was the original religion revealed to Adam (alaihi salaam).
Prove Adam ever existed. Faith.

On the other hand, the religious experiences of Muslims cannot be explained other than that they are from Allah.
They can be explained in precisely the same way as any other religion! FAITH!

Sure, I may have been a little over the top there but the fundamental point remains.. you aren't arguing at all, just making statements based on your own belief. "My religion is right, yours is wrong"! No argument, just statements. I don't blame you for that... nobody has ever managed to produce such an argument, but the fact remains.

Oh, what the heck, while I'm at it..

traditional Therevada Buddhism does not even believe in God or have a concept of the Divine, and therefore has no objective truth
What is your argument that a belief in God, or indeed a concept of the Divine, is necessary for objective truth?

Everything in Buddhism is subjective. Buddhism is therefore not even a religion but basically a school of psychology
That's not actually true, but I'd still like to hear your argument as to why subjectivity excludes religious status.

Any and every of the "religious experiences" its follows claim to have are nothing but psychological phenomena.
No Buddhist would deny that, although they might define psychology rather more widely than I suspect you intended. Now please prove that the Islamic, or indeed any other, religious experience is anything but a psychological phenomena.

MustafaMc
04-01-2007, 02:21 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by cali dude
I believe that truth is highest of all, even higher than religions.

First of all, do you agree with this?
I believe that there is Absolute Truth that transcends religion; however, I also believe that from our limited human perspective we can't comprehend this Truth in It's entirety. Actually, the smallest portion of the Truth is too Great to be contained within our puny minds! Religion is not the Truth, but I believe that true religion guides human kind to the Truth. From my perspective, I believe that Islam is the true religion that guides us to the Truth that I believe is the One God, or Allah. We know Allah through His Names or Attributes, such as , The Compassionate, The Most Merciful, The Sovereign, The Holy One, The Giver of Peace, The Giver of Life, The Most High, The Mighty, The Just, The Forgiving, The Creator, The Ressurector of the Dead, The All Knowing, The All Hearing, The All Seeing, and among others Al-Haqq - The Truth.

Secondly, you may have seen people getting offended by the truth about their religion because they think truth makes their religion look bad.

Do you think it makes sense to get offended by the truth?
First define Absolute Truth that is different from above and transcends our individual perspectives. This Truth would be clearly perceptible to all and could not offend anyone. An interesting passage in the Quran 18:60-82 tells the story of Moses and another servant of Allah that Islamic tradition names as Al-Khidr. This passage illustrates the relativity of good and bad. The problem is that we can't see the "big picture" that is outside our own personal perceptions.

Also since religion is supposed to be pure with nothing bad at all, do you think you should leave the religion if you find enough evidence of wrongdoings in a religion? Now when I mention religion, it's not referring to people of the religion in general. But the founders of the religion or the main people in the religion.
No, one should not leave his religion just because there are so-called "wrongdoings", or bad people, or hypocrites that claim the same religion. One should leave his religion only if another one brings him closer to the Absolute Truth. On Judgement Day we will have to give an account of our own life and can't point to the "wrondoings" of others as the reason we did not worship the One God.

Eric H
04-01-2007, 03:14 AM
Greetings and peace be with you Trumble;
but the whole pseudo-logical edifice is based on a fundamental assumption, i.e the existence of God, which is unproven and, in all likelihood unprovable. Faith.
It is still possible for God to exist fully and totally, even if you personally cannot prove his existence.

In the spirit of searching for God

Eric

snakelegs
04-01-2007, 03:17 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Eric H
Greetings and peace be with you Trumble;

It is still possible for God to exist fully and totally, even if you personally cannot prove his existence.

Eric
yup.

Trumble
04-01-2007, 07:51 AM
Quite true, but what I was responding to was the claim that

Beliefs should be logical and rational, and only Islam as a whole fits this criterion
When people start throwing words like 'logical' and 'rational' about, they are no longer in a world of 'personally' proving (i.e 'proving' to their own satisfaction) anything. It am quite satisfied in my own mind as to the 'truth' of the Buddha's teachings, but I would be foolish indeed to claim I can 'prove' they are true.

Just as God may exist fully and totally even if I can't personally prove it, you must acknowledge that He may not exist at all even if you can't personally prove THAT. The same is true of a 'God' in a totally different form than that accepted by the Abrahamic religions. You believe ultimately because of faith, not reason and logic - that is not to say reason and logic do not play a part in choosing and confirming beliefs.

The Islamic argument, if you wish to call it that, is debatedly valid (a Christian might not agree), in that its conclusions follow from the suggested premises, but the premises themselves are totally unsupportable and hence, in terms of 'proving' anything, so is the argument. It never ceases to baffle me that some muslims have such trouble accepting that. Christians and Buddhists don't.

Malaikah
04-01-2007, 08:09 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Trumble
It never ceases to baffle me that some muslims have such trouble accepting that. Christians and Buddhists don't.
That is probably because we are following the truth, and they aren't.

Yes I know, I am doing exactly the thing that baffles you, but I couldn't help it. :D

cali dude
04-01-2007, 05:08 PM
This discussion has taken an interesting turn.

I was talking about the truth about the founder of a religion.

Let's say a so-called prophet or founder of a religion had done something unacceptable to people in general, e.g., having an affair.

Now this is true that the founder of the religion had an affair but people following that religion don't want us to mention this and if we do mention it, they perceive this as an attack on their religion. So, now these people prevent us from telling the truth. In other words, a religion itself has become an obstacle in path of truth. If a religion itself becomes obstacle in path of truth, I don't understand why anyone should follow that religion and we know very well that following that religion you will not be able to find the absolute truth...

Talha777
04-01-2007, 06:20 PM

Let's say a so-called prophet or founder of a religion had done something unacceptable to people in general, e.g., having an affair.

Now this is true that the founder of the religion had an affair but people following that religion don't want us to mention this and if we do mention it, they perceive this as an attack on their religion. So, now these people prevent us from telling the truth. In other words, a religion itself has become an obstacle in path of truth. If a religion itself becomes obstacle in path of truth, I don't understand why anyone should follow that religion and we know very well that following that religion you will not be able to find the absolute truth...
If the founder of a religion was inherently immoral, it is a sign that the religion which he or she invented is also inherently false. Take the example of Rashad Khalifa, he plead no contest to charges that he sexually assaulted one of his colleagues in an American court of law. Rashad Khalifa was the man who claimed to be a Messenger of Allah and repudiated his belief in the Sunnat. He was killed in 1990, though nobody knows who is responsible, could have been an Angel or a very brave mujahid.

Trumble
04-01-2007, 07:03 PM

Such 'truths' are of three possible types.

In the first case they might relate to an established religion, been round the block umpteen times already, and been suitably disproven, refuted or explained.

In the second case they might relate to an established religion but offer something "new". In that instance the best thing to do is wait for the Dan Brown novel. It will be just as inaccurate but will probably be a lot more entertaining to read.

In the third case they might relate to some sort of new religion or cult, in which the followers of the person concerned will initially stick their fingers in their ears saying "la-la-la" before getting bored and drifting away. Nobody else will be remotely interested.

snakelegs
04-01-2007, 09:35 PM

why would/should a person in this position believe your "proof"? how do you prove that someone who lived centuries ago had an affair? why would you expect someone who deeply loves and respects their prophet/founder/guru to accept your version of his sins - what basically belongs in a gossip column?
to take it even further - if a founder of a religion did indeed have an affair - does this necessarily make the entire religion false?
as an agnostic i think religion may very well be an obstacle to truth - or even to god, for that matter. but not in the way you mean above.
would you believe it if someone offered you "proof" that guru nanak did something evil? would you say, "oh, i see - that means sikhism is false. thankyou for enlightening me." you don't need someone from outside your religion to throw dirt on guru nanak and furthermore, i think you would not like it very much - why do you think others would be different?
why would anyone even want to sling dirt at an important religious figure??? what would be their motive? i find it hard to believe that it would be good.

One Man Army
04-01-2007, 09:45 PM
GurFateh

I dont think we should be trying to find faults with other religions in order to prove our own faith as correct. Let people believe what they want to believe. freedom of speech and belief. lets try looking at the good in all, in each faith, instead of what we interpretate as bad and pouncing on it in order to try proving a point.

snakelegs
04-01-2007, 10:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ultimate truth
GurFateh

I dont think we should be trying to find faults with other religions in order to prove our own faith as correct. Let people believe what they want to believe. freedom of speech and belief. lets try looking at the good in all, in each faith, instead of what we interpretate as bad and pouncing on it in order to try proving a point.
SSA,
yes! that's why i don't understand cali dude's point.

Malaikah
04-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Interesting choice- I wonder if a Christian could perhaps comment here, because I know that Christians believe their Prophets to have done some nasty things, including incest and getting drunk...

AvarAllahNoor
04-02-2007, 02:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
Interesting choice- I wonder if a Christian could perhaps comment here, because I know that Christians believe their Prophets to have done some nasty things, including incest and getting drunk...
Really? Lets hear more on this.

I agree with ultimate truth
:statisfie

aamirsaab
04-02-2007, 03:52 PM
:sl:
format_quote Originally Posted by ultimate truth
GurFateh

We're on the same wavelength. :statisfie

cali dude
04-03-2007, 03:18 PM
why would/should a person in this position believe your "proof"? how do you prove that someone who lived centuries ago had an affair? why would you expect someone who deeply loves and respects their prophet/founder/guru to accept your version of his sins - what basically belongs in a gossip column?
to take it even further - if a founder of a religion did indeed have an affair - does this necessarily make the entire religion false?
as an agnostic i think religion may very well be an obstacle to truth - or even to god, for that matter. but not in the way you mean above.
would you believe it if someone offered you "proof" that guru nanak did something evil? would you say, "oh, i see - that means sikhism is false. thankyou for enlightening me." you don't need someone from outside your religion to throw dirt on guru nanak and furthermore, i think you would not like it very much - why do you think others would be different?
why would anyone even want to sling dirt at an important religious figure??? what would be their motive? i find it hard to believe that it would be good.
The reason why I brought this up is that every time, I go to a religious site, they don't want to hear anything that makes somehow make the religion look bad even though it's a fact. At least on the other sites, they have this common policy that no attacks on religion or person would be accepted at all. But I do have this problem with this mentality that a truth said about a religion is considered an attack on that religion. Isn't religion supposed to be about truth? Then how come a truth about religion be an attack on religion?

But if you do quietly accept something that means we have accepted a lie, which makes us liar, as well.

Sure anybody can bring anything about any of gurus but only if they are facts. The problem I see among people of other religions is that they know for fact and yet they don't expect people to mention the facts and if someone does mention, they consider it attack on religion.

snakelegs
04-03-2007, 10:50 PM
The reason why I brought this up is that every time, I go to a religious site, they don't want to hear anything that makes somehow make the religion look bad even though it's a fact. At least on the other sites, they have this common policy that no attacks on religion or person would be accepted at all. But I do have this problem with this mentality that a truth said about a religion is considered an attack on that religion. Isn't religion supposed to be about truth? Then how come a truth about religion be an attack on religion?

But if you do quietly accept something that means we have accepted a lie, which makes us liar, as well.

Sure anybody can bring anything about any of gurus but only if they are facts. The problem I see among people of other religions is that they know for fact and yet they don't expect people to mention the facts and if someone does mention, they consider it attack on religion.
i guess i don't understand your need to point out defects or "the real truth" about others' religions. if i had your problem, i would either decide to dismiss the whole thing and stop going to its websites, or i would look for what is good or true within its teachings. there is no need for you to accept it.
why do you feel a need to bring them "the truth" about their religion - especially if they are offended? why not let them be - we're in california, after all. :D

north_malaysian
04-05-2007, 05:07 AM
Neither .... coz I'll choose God.

Pygoscelis
04-05-2007, 06:22 AM
To each, their own belief, until that belief causes them to harm others.

You may find me to be lost or blind. I may find you to be deluded. But so long as neither of us attempts to harm the other, there is no harm in our differing views.

Hyuio
04-05-2007, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by samah12
The word of God is absolute truth. Where the truth becomes relative is when mankind begins to translate or interpret the word of God.

I could call myself Muslim, Jew, Christian etc but I still believe in the same God, all that changes is my belief in mankinds interpretations of Gods words (which if we are truthful the basis of peace, tolerance, charity, etc change very little between the religions).
Whose God? It is all very well saying that you worship the same God as Jews and Christians, you do as their God comes from the same origin, but the Gods of Shinto, Hinduism, Jainism do not share the same origin or background as yours. Their truths are different. What about the Gods from the dead religions ie: Greek, Roman, Egyptian? At one time their Gods where more relevant than yours. Never know, in another 2000 years time Islam could have changed by your recognition or even gone the same way as the old religions and something else could be there instead. How do you pick and choose the right truth.? It is subjective to your beliefs, there is no absolute truth for any Gods.

Eric H
04-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Hyuio; As a Christian can I welcome you to an Islamic forum; I have found this to be a wonderful place of learning and friendship.

Whose God?
I wonder how can it be possible for anyone or any religion to own God?

The only God worth searching for is the creator of the universe, of all that is seen and unseen.

Eric

Keltoi
04-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Greetings and peace be with you Hyuio; As a Christian can I welcome you to an Islamic forum; I have found this to be a wonderful place of learning and friendship.

I wonder how can it be possible for anyone or any religion to own God?

The only God worth searching for is the creator of the universe, of all that is seen and unseen.

Eric
Eric just brought up a good point, which is the phenomena of "God ownership". I think that is a big part of religious "truth" to many people.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.