/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Democracy in the Middle East

seeker_of_ilm
04-02-2007, 06:18 PM
:sl:

Quote by Shaker Al-Nabulsi, on why democracy is rejected in the Middle East

Because democracy will threaten the thrones and the bribes. Why? Because democracy will give the people back their stolen rights. Why? Because democracy will prevent them from handing down the reign (to their sons) in dynastic states. Why? Because democracy will cut off the fuel supply to the ruling families. Why? Because democracy will stop the corruption and treat the people fairly. And ultimately, why? Because democracy will expel the serpent from its lair of tyranny. That is why the Arab world's leaders are quivering because of democracy.
Discuss :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
04-02-2007, 08:30 PM
i think there is some truth in that.
but i should emphasize that the change has to come from within.

Muezzin
04-02-2007, 10:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
i think there is some truth in that.
but i should emphasize that the change has to come from within.
Bingo.

Democracy is a great thing when the people themselves fight for and achieve it.

snakelegs
04-02-2007, 10:44 PM
i don't really know why i said "some" truth in the OP - i think it is true.
[MOUSE]no delilvery service, thankyou.[/MOUSE]

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
E'jaazi
04-03-2007, 04:08 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
Bingo.

Democracy is a great thing when the people themselves fight for and achieve it.
How can that statement be true, when democracy goes against Islam and the Shari'ah?

snakelegs
04-03-2007, 06:09 AM
E'jaazi,
this seems to be a complicated (as well as interesting) subject.

here's an excerpt from a long article posted by ansar:

"Thus broadly understood, democracy is almost identical with shoora. There is thus nothing in the primary or extended meaning of democracy which makes it intrinsically Western or secular. If shoora can take a secular form, so can democracy take an Islamic form."

http://www.islamicboard.com/world-af...ompatible.html

Muezzin
04-03-2007, 12:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by E'jaazi
How can that statement be true, when democracy goes against Islam and the Shari'ah?
Sharia is still the best, obviously.

Keltoi
04-03-2007, 12:30 PM
I realize this is slightly off topic, but is there any indication of how economically successful Sharia Law would be in the global economy? Are there any roadblocks to capitalism in Sharia?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.