/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Self-admiration

siFilam
04-05-2007, 05:49 AM
:salamext:
Read about this destructive force:

Self-admiration:

It was reported on the authority of Abu Hurayrah may Allaah be pleased with him that the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) said: "While a man was strutting in two gowns out of self-admiration, Allaah caused the earth to swallow him up, and he has been submerging therein up to the Day of Resurrection." [Muslim]

Also, it was reported that Ibn Mas'ood may Allaah be pleased with him said: "Destruction lies in two things: self-admiration and despair (from the mercy of Allaah)." Ibn Mas'ood may Allaah be pleased with him gathered self-admiration and despair together because happiness cannot be obtained except with exerting much effort; the despairing person does not make any effort because of his despair and the self-admired person believes that he has got what he wants so he feels he does not have to make any effort either.

Self-admiration leads to pride, as it is originally one of its causes, and pride leads to many destructive flaws.

The Remedy of Self-admiration:

Allaah, the Glorified and Exalted, favored man when He created him and provided him with many blessings. Therefore, no one should be self-admired because of his actions, knowledge, beauty, or wealth, as these are bounties provided by Allaah out of His Grace.

Moreover, even a person's righteous deeds will not admit him to Paradise, because it is Allaah Who guides him and enables him to do them. It was reported on the authority of Abu Hurayrah may Allaah be pleased with him that the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) once said: "No one's good deeds will make him enter Paradise."

They (the Prophet's Companions may Allaah be pleased with them) said: "Not even you, O Messenger of Allaah?" He sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) said: "Not even myself, unless Allaah bestows His favor and mercy on me." [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]

It should also be known that the causes of pride are also from amongst the causes of self-admiration. They have already been mentioned earlier, so they may be referred to where they are cited above.

Someone may say: a noble man may be self-admired because of his noble lineage, and he may wish that his noble relatives will intercede for him on the Day of Resurrection.

Commenting on this, we can say that all Muslims wish for intercession on their behalf and it is true that intercession may not be accepted when one's sins are very great. Allaah, the Almighty, Says (what means): “…Verily the most honorable of you with Allaah is that (believer) who has At-Taqwa [i.e., he is one of The Muttaqun (the pious)] …” [Quran; 49:13]

Furthermore, the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) said to his daughter may Allaah be pleased with her: "O Faatimah, I have no power (to protect you) from Allaah in anything." [Al-Bukhaari]

Therefore, it is only man's righteous deeds and good qualities that make him "noble" or "honorable" in the sight of Allaah. Besides, Al-Bukhaari and Muslim may Allaah have mercy upon them reported on the authority of Abu Hurayrah may Allaah be pleased with him that Allaah's Messenger sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam ( may Allaah exalt his mention ) said: “I should not find that any of you should come on the Day of Resurrection with a growling camel mounted on his neck, and should appeal to me for help, saying, 'O Messenger of Allaah, help me, 'and I should say, I have no authority to help you; I already conveyed to you '."

So, whoever knows and comprehends these facts will start occupying the rest of his life with as many acts of worship and obedience as he can, as this is the only rope to salvation."

http://www.islamweb.net/ver2/archive...ng=E&id=135880

May Allah guide the Muslims. Ameen.

wasalam
-SI-

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!