/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Scholarly difference Judaism and Christianity

ManchesterFolk
04-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Just my observations of course, but looking at the difference between our Jewish and Christian members, it seems that generally the Jewish (who seem to all be Orthodox since Secular Jews really would not come on a message board to discuss religion) members on here know a ton about their faith and have all be through extremist like schools where all they do is study for "21 out of 24 hours a day" as I remember one pointing out. They fight every type of attack on their scripture ferociously, they know the language Hebrew although some are from America, and they also seem to know in general a ton about their religion and make some very good points.

Christians however in general as I have noticed (and maybe these are just non-practicing ones) seem to know generally less and are less caring about possible errors in their scriptures. Is that the main difference between the religions?

Christianity seems to practice a live your life and have good morals, and the Bible does tell the overall message of the story that we must follow which is the ethical code that we live our lives. While the Jewish members follow laws and beliefs directly from their books and every single letter of the Torah and Talmud matter. It seems a rather odd difference between one sect and another that broke off (but comes from the same tree of it) to be so different in their beliefs.

Either way it just seems that the Orthodox Jewish members in general know more about their actual texts and they seem to draw up references to other parts of the scriptures in no time. Since I have read all 3 books (and was bored out my mind) it is tough for me to sometime think of how they know all this, since Muslims can do the same.

Has Christianity became much more of a live life religion instead of a scholarly do it by the book one?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
04-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Wow, interesting observation... Can I just point out that Muslims consider Islam to be the perfect balance, while Christians are rather lax about law following and Jews kinda over do it, Muslims are in the middle.

Keltoi
04-09-2007, 01:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ManchesterFolk
Just my observations of course, but looking at the difference between our Jewish and Christian members, it seems that generally the Jewish (who seem to all be Orthodox since Secular Jews really would not come on a message board to discuss religion) members on here know a ton about their faith and have all be through extremist like schools where all they do is study for "21 out of 24 hours a day" as I remember one pointing out. They fight every type of attack on their scripture ferociously, they know the language Hebrew although some are from America, and they also seem to know in general a ton about their religion and make some very good points.

Christians however in general as I have noticed (and maybe these are just non-practicing ones) seem to know generally less and are less caring about possible errors in their scriptures. Is that the main difference between the religions?

Christianity seems to practice a live your life and have good morals, and the Bible does tell the overall message of the story that we must follow which is the ethical code that we live our lives. While the Jewish members follow laws and beliefs directly from their books and every single letter of the Torah and Talmud matter. It seems a rather odd difference between one sect and another that broke off (but comes from the same tree of it) to be so different in their beliefs.

Either way it just seems that the Orthodox Jewish members in general know more about their actual texts and they seem to draw up references to other parts of the scriptures in no time. Since I have read all 3 books (and was bored out my mind) it is tough for me to sometime think of how they know all this, since Muslims can do the same.

Has Christianity became much more of a live life religion instead of a scholarly do it by the book one?
I would basically agree with your theory that Christianity is more of a "live life" sort of faith. While the Bible and especially the New Testament are important, we do not think of our Holy Book as being written by God's hand, so to speak. There are fundamentalist Christians who do think of the Bible in this way, but overall Christianity is about how one brings the teachings of Jesus Christ into their day to day life. Charity and good works are important.

As for the Jewish laws, Christians believe that Christ brought about a new covenant for Gentiles. That doesn't mean the old Jewish laws are forgotten, because those laws are still God's covenant with the Jewish people.

ManchesterFolk
04-09-2007, 05:08 PM
As for the Jewish laws, Christians believe that Christ brought about a new covenant for Gentiles. That doesn't mean the old Jewish laws are forgotten, because those laws are still God's covenant with the Jewish people.
Then why do Christian groups activly try to convert Jews, if the Jews should be following there covenant still?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
King David
04-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Just my observations of course, but looking at the difference between our Jewish and Christian members, it seems that generally the Jewish (who seem to all be Orthodox since Secular Jews really would not come on a message board to discuss religion)
Im not Orthodox I am a believer though. And very interested in my religion and history.

ManchesterFolk
04-09-2007, 05:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by King David
Im not Orthodox I am a believer though. And very interested in my religion and history.
What are you then? I assumed not Orthodox since your online on the last days of Passover.

King David
04-09-2007, 06:23 PM
I am born in a non religious family.

But I am getting more and more interested in the religion.

I am waiting for the temple to be rebuild to stricly follow the religious rites.

I am not sure that if it is to study Torah that I am on the Internet that it is wrong.

Keltoi
04-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Then why do Christian groups activly try to convert Jews, if the Jews should be following there covenant still?
I can't speak for these Christian groups, but I suppose they are following their mission of spreading the good news.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.