/* */

PDA

View Full Version : about niqaab and going out

Malaikah
04-09-2007, 02:16 PM
:sl:

Someone I know mentioned that she read in a shariah book that if a women chooses to wear niqaab she has to observe 'purdah', meaning that if she wears niqaab, she shouldn't leave her house unless totally necessary.

I never got the chance to ask her about this... I had never heard about this before, and I thought that is just weird. Why would a niqaabi need to stay indoors more, when she is more covered than a niqaabi and is therefore more entitled to go outside?? And many scholars consider niqaab to be compulsory, which means that according to this, women would never leave the house!!! But we know this isn't the case, women did leave their homes during the prophets time!

I know there is a verse telling women to avoid going out for no reason, but I have never heard that this verse applies only to niqaabis.

Has anyone heard of this before? Or know anything about the topic?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
FatimaAsSideqah
04-09-2007, 02:18 PM
:sl:, Sister of Islam

You can take to look at this link: http://members.tripod.com/~ibnfarooq/niqaab.htm

There lots info about niqaabs etc..

:w:

Snowflake
04-09-2007, 03:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Someone I know mentioned that she read in a shariah book that if a women chooses to wear niqaab she has to observe 'purdah', meaning that if she wears niqaab, she shouldn't leave her house unless totally necessary.

I never got the chance to ask her about this... I had never heard about this before, and I thought that is just weird. Why would a niqaabi need to stay indoors more, when she is more covered than a niqaabi and is therefore more entitled to go outside?? And many scholars consider niqaab to be compulsory, which means that according to this, women would never leave the house!!! But we know this isn't the case, women did leave their homes during the prophets time!

I know there is a verse telling women to avoid going out for no reason, but I have never heard that this verse applies only to niqaabis.

Has anyone heard of this before? Or know anything about the topic?
Nope! Sounds more like cultural thing to me. It's a little strange that a nikabi shouldn't go out more than a non nikabi. The whole purpose of nikab is so you can go out while remaining in purdah!

Umm Yoosuf
04-09-2007, 03:20 PM

I don't know sister. I've never heard of it before. In general it is better for all sisters to stay in their houses and only go out if it is necessary.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a Niqab debate. Please avoid this otherwise thread will be closed :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
FatimaAsSideqah
04-09-2007, 03:22 PM

I have been posted like this in my another thread...

Fatwaa from Shaikh AbdulAziz Bin Abdullah Bin Bazz (Rahimahullah) From his book 'Islamic Fatwas regarding Women' Page #259

Question: What is the ruling concerning one who ridicules those who wear the proper hijab and cover their faces and hands?

Response: Whoever ridicules a Muslim woman or man for sticking to and applying the teachings of Islam is a disbeliever. This is regardless of whether it is concerning woman's hijab or any other matter of the Shariah. This is based on the following narration from ibn Umar: At a gathering during the Battle of Tabuk, one man said, "I have not seen anyone like our Quranic readers who is more desirous of food, more lying in speech and more cowardly when meeting the enemy." A man said, "You have lied and you are a liar. I shall definitely tell the Messenger of Allah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) about that." That news was conveyed to the Messenger of Allah and the Quran was revealed. Abdullah ibn Umar added, "I saw the man holding on to the bag of the camel of the Messenger of Allah and the dust was striking him while he was saying, 'O Messenger of Allah, we were just joking and playing. The Messenger of Allah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) was simply saying the verse of the Quran],
"Was it Allah, and His Signs and His Messenger you were mocking? Make no excuse, you have disbelieved after you had believed. If We pardon some of you, We will punish others among you because they were sinners" (al-Tauba 65-66). So ridiculing believers has been equated with ridiculing Allah, His Signs and His Messenger.

Snowflake
04-09-2007, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Yahya

I don't know sister. I've never heard of it before. In general it is better for all sisters to stay in their houses and only go out if it is necessary
I'm feeling like a character out of Prison break reading that :D

so, what kinds of things are deemed necessary?

Umm Yoosuf
04-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Shopping, work, visiting relatives etc

The point is you shouldn't go out for useless things, such as shopping around for hours, just browsing and wasting time etc

Allah Knows Best.

FatimaAsSideqah
04-09-2007, 03:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm Yahya

The point is you shouldn't go out for useless things, such as shopping around for hours, just browsing and wasting time etc

Allah Knows Best.

I am agree with what you have said...

siFilam
04-09-2007, 08:57 PM
:salamext:

format_quote Originally Posted by NobleMuslimUK
A nikabi must not go out more than a non nikabi. If she has that love and yet fear of Allah SWT in her heart, and the knowledge where she knows why she must avoid going out unnecessarily.
I think this applies to all the sisters not just Nikabi.

wasalam
-SI-

Snowflake
04-09-2007, 11:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah

Allah Knows Best.
:thumbs_up

That's how I feel. I just wanted to see what others might deem necessary. :D

Umar001
04-09-2007, 11:08 PM
I wish I had the chance of making myself stay at home an act of worship withini itself.

Imagine, sisters dont have to go out, they can stay home and just study our beautiful deen, subhanAllah, thats to me an attractive offer.

Snowflake
04-09-2007, 11:12 PM
^That's after doing the cooking, cleaning, washing, ironing, and not to forget, the shopping.

Malaikah
04-10-2007, 12:57 AM

Okay people, lets not turn this into a staying at home thread. :p

So, no one has ever heard of that before??

lolwatever
04-12-2007, 08:29 PM
purdah is a cultural thing. its a bit like how some sufis reckon when u reach a certain level that the should should be celebate, dont do nething 2do with dunya bla bla bla...

unless they're referring to when their husband dies or something, which is a diff case and it applies to all women.. not just niqabi sis's.

hope tht helps
tc salams

siFilam
04-12-2007, 08:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by lolwatever
purdah is a cultural thing.
Brother, if purdah was a cultural thing than our sisters back home are really breaking away from their culture. maybe its the culture before Islam.

Its a religious obligation of a woman to observe purdah. Observing purdah properly is a vital necessity for every society. Therefore it’s a mercy and favor from Allah that He made it obligatory for the woman to wear proper Hijab.

wasalam
-SI-

lolwatever
04-12-2007, 08:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by siFilam

Brother, if purdah was a cultural thing than our sisters back home are really breaking away from their culture. maybe its the culture before Islam.

Its a religious obligation of a woman to observe purdah. Observing purdah properly is a vital necessity for every society. Therefore it’s a mercy and favor from Allah that He made it obligatory for the woman to wear proper Hijab.

wasalam
-SI-
salams sis.

sorry if i caused misunderstanding, i'm not saying sisters should be weaving streets unecessarily, but what i mean is, wearing niqab doesn't mean you're not allowed to step out of ur house to visit a friend becasue "its not a necsesity of living"

u know wat i mean?

jazaks 4makn me clarify tho!
tc salams

Talibatul Ilm
04-22-2007, 12:23 AM
is the term 'pardah' just when a woman wears niqaab, or is it the concept of hijaab in its entirety, as in being modest, not going out unnecessarily, not speaking to men.. and so on? i heard it a lot and just wanted to clarify that =)

IbnAbdulHakim
04-22-2007, 12:33 AM
purdah is a cultural thing. its a bit like how some sufis reckon when u reach a certain level that the should should be celebate, dont do nething 2do with dunya bla bla bla...

unless they're referring to when their husband dies or something, which is a diff case and it applies to all women.. not just niqabi sis's.

hope tht helps
tc salams
bro wiv all due respect n u kno i love u n all dat but seriously man if u gnna be saying something that serious you gotta at least show some evidence.

i can recall a lot of hadith i heard which backs up purdah and the importance of it.

subhanAllah this is a serious issue here, im gnna research inshaAllah

Malaikah
04-22-2007, 12:55 AM

Is purdah even an Arabic word?? What does it mean?

siFilam
04-22-2007, 02:01 AM
In The Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful

sister Malaikah,

I don't know if its a Arabic word? but its a word common is south Asia. I don't know the correct meaning, I'm very weak with my native language (bangla). But I think it means something like covering up and wearing proper Hijab.
someone plz correct me.

wasalam
-SI-

BlissfullyJaded
04-22-2007, 02:19 AM

Nopes, purdah isn't an Arabic word. There's no p in Arabic. Purdah tends to be for hijaab, but I think it is interchangable with niqaab. It is not cultural as its the same thing as hijaab/niqaab, which we all know is not cultural.

Anyways, referring back to the main topic, I don't think I've ever heard that myself, so I can't say much there.

Talibatul Ilm
04-22-2007, 02:34 AM
so then purdah is just hijab/niqab, not the concept of a womans haya?
and purdah definitely isnt arabic lol, but its just another languages equivelant to an arabic word.

lolwatever
04-22-2007, 04:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
bro wiv all due respect n u kno i love u n all dat but seriously man if u gnna be saying something that serious you gotta at least show some evidence.

i can recall a lot of hadith i heard which backs up purdah and the importance of it.

subhanAllah this is a serious issue here, im gnna research inshaAllah
salams bro
lol sorry akh if i offended ya...

but isn't everything that's not to do with ibadah halal until proven otherwise? I'm almost positive there's no evdience to say that its haram 4 a woman to step out of her house if she's wearing niqab.

I mean... put it this way, Umar saw a man n his wife outside one night and he thought there was something shifty going on (between 2 non mahrams) so he repremanded them, but when he realised they where hubby/wife he didn't say "but hey lady ur suppose 2b in purdah mode" innit ? :)

Malaikah
04-22-2007, 05:17 AM

LOL oh yeh, thats right, Arabic doesn't have p :hiding:

I don't think the word in the original post is referring to purdah as meaning niqaab/hijab... in the context my friend used it she seems to be referring to not leaving the house at all.

- Qatada -
04-22-2007, 11:12 AM

I think parda is a persian/faarsi word, the same way 'chador' is. wa Allaahu a'lam.

Pk_#2
04-22-2007, 11:17 AM
chador is a turkish word, pardah means to cover up in my language,

farsi...hmm isn't dat iranian talk...sounds arabic, so that's where the mix up happened ehh

This thread doesnt hav many answers :X

- Qatada -
04-22-2007, 11:21 AM

A chador (Persian چادر) is an outer garment worn by some Iranian women when they venture out into public; it is one possible way in which a Muslim woman may follow the Islamic ħijāb dress code.

Wikipedia

[Urdu pardah, veil, from Persian, from Middle Persian pardak, from Old Persian *paridaka-, from pari-d

-, to place over : pari, around, over; see per1 in Indo-European roots + d

-, to place; see dh

- in Indo-European roots.]

FreeDictionary.com

Pk_#2
04-22-2007, 11:22 AM
i don't trust wikipedia, but i'll trust you akhi,

and dictionary dot com is just cool

jazakAllah for clarification :)

AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-22-2007, 11:22 AM
salams bro
lol sorry akh if i offended ya...

but isn't everything that's not to do with ibadah halal until proven otherwise? I'm almost positive there's no evdience to say that its haram 4 a woman to step out of her house if she's wearing niqab.
still researching akhee :), gimme some time inshaAllah.

I mean... put it this way, Umar saw a man n his wife outside one night and he thought there was something shifty going on (between 2 non mahrams) so he repremanded them, but when he realised they where hubby/wife he didn't say "but hey lady ur suppose 2b in purdah mode" innit ? :)

umar RA hit the man :p "reprimanded" ;D ;D

lolwatever
04-22-2007, 11:47 AM
^ lol yeh ur right, but that was when he thought they where together illegally.

tyt bro

salamz :D

Malaikah
04-22-2007, 12:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
still researching akhee :), gimme some time inshaAllah.

What exactly are you researching? Whether or not women are allowed to leave their house? :? I think the answer should be pretty obvious... :rollseyes

IbnAbdulHakim
04-22-2007, 01:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

What exactly are you researching? Whether or not women are allowed to leave their house? :? I think the answer should be pretty obvious... :rollseyes
LOL!!

;D

nO !

i know sisters are allowed to go out and about etc lol, mine are out shopping right now, i just wanted to see to what extent they have freedom outside. for example do the ulama recommend that they go out regularly to meetings/for work/social gatherings etc etc.

me being a brother have never read up on this, so i thought i might aswell... naseehah right?

and i wanna read only with proof inshaAllah :)

Malaikah
04-22-2007, 09:39 PM

Okay, fair enough. that's fine. I was just worried you were planning your chain up your sisters to their homes or something lol.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.