/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Wearing make-up in public..haram or halal?

Medina83
04-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Don't want to cause a furore now , but since i reverted i don't wear any cosmetics at all. I suppose if i get married one day i will wear them in the house for the lucky guy :D

Anyway, i viewed another forum, some muslimas mention they wear some..some made distinctions between lipgloss & lipstick....

to me it seems hair splitting....however...maybe i'm wrong...

kindly let me know your views cause i could certainly use a bit of the stuff to make me look nicer and would wear it if it is halal to do so in public...i don't know where i got the idea its haram..i kinda just assumed....so please educate me :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
MinAhlilHadeeth
04-17-2007, 01:39 PM
:salamext:

Thread moved.

This may be useful.

siFilam
04-17-2007, 01:47 PM
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Sister, I would advise you not wear makeup in public or front of ghair mehram since the face is focal point of beauty for women. It attracts attention. It would defeat you efforts of wearing Hijab and observing purdah.

wasalam
-SI-

Medina83
04-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Salam aleikum

Thanks sister, i don't wear it for this very reason but i have seen that some sisters think it is ok ...they said they wear it in university...so thats why i wonder?

Proofs for or against would be appreciated...

As for the information on the link http://islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=72390&ln=eng

I really don't understand how it says you can put on make up after wudu and say prayer and it does not invalidate it?!? Or am I missing something because i don't understand the word 'naajis'?

Is the point of wudu not that you are clean going into prayer? I really think that couldn't be right....

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
MinAhlilHadeeth
04-17-2007, 01:55 PM

Naajis means impure. Allahu A'lam. What don't you understand sis?

Medina83
04-17-2007, 02:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm 'Abdullah

Naajis means impure. Allahu A'lam. What don't you understand sis?
thanks for explaining Naajis :)

I don't understand whether we can or cannot wear make up in public
I don't understand that it is halal to say prayer with make-up on?

MinAhlilHadeeth
04-18-2007, 11:16 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Medina83
thanks for explaining Naajis :)
I don't understand whether we can or cannot wear make up in public
Didn't the quote clarify that for you?:

"It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (17/129): There is no reason why a woman should not adorn herself by wearing makeup on her face, or kohl, or doing her hair in a manner that does not make her resemble kaafir women, but it is also essential that she cover her face in front of men who are not her mahrams. End quote.

It also says (17/128): Using kohl is allowed in Islam, but it is not permissible for a woman to show any of her adornment, whether kohl or anything else, to anyone other than her husband or mahrams, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“…and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands…”

[al-Noor 24:31]

And Allaah knows best."

I don't understand that it is halal to say prayer with make-up on?
Have you seen any proof to suggest it isn't?

:wasalamex

Medina83
04-18-2007, 12:08 PM

Didn't the quote clarify that for you?:
No not at all...

:"It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (17/129): There is no reason why a woman should not adorn herself by wearing makeup on her face, or kohl, or doing her hair in a manner that does not make her resemble kaafir women, but it is also essential that she cover her face in front of men who are not her mahrams. End quote.
First of all what is Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah ? And who made the Fatwa?
Second the quote implies only niqab is permissible in front of non-mahrams, I follow the thinking that hijab is sufficient, thirdly the situation I gave is of muslim girls wearing hijab and make up in university...so is correct or not?

:"

Have you seen any proof to suggest it isn't?

:wasalamex
Doesn't logic tell you that the purpose of Wudu is for cleanliness in prayer..part of which is to clean your face...so why would you put substances on your face after and then say your prayer...
Isn't having to do Wudu a self-explanatory proof that it isn't halal?

Malaikah
04-18-2007, 12:13 PM
:sl:

Wearing make up infront of non-mahram men is haram sis. I don't know of any scholars who allow it. Good on you for giving it up, mashaallah! :)

Also, the wudu is to wash of dirt, make-up isn't dirt! So why would it break your wudu? :?

Medina83
04-18-2007, 12:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah

Wearing make up infront of non-mahram men is haram sis. I don't know of any scholars who allow it. Good on you for giving it up, mashaallah! :)
Thanks Malaikah just wondering really how people will find justification for it and why so many Muslim women are doing it i suppose
Basically I would like to see where is the Quranic or Hadith that allows it (not FATWA) because as far as i'm concerned there are lots of things in there to show that you should not!

format_quote Originally Posted by Malaikah
:Also, the wudu is to wash of dirt, make-up isn't dirt! So why would it break your wudu? :?
Is Wudu not to get you back to your natural clean state..i never saw that it was for dirt? I saw a video of a new muslim before and her muslim friend was telling her she needed to take off her nail varnish before prayer...this seemed correct advice to me...

Malaikah
04-18-2007, 12:33 PM

You have to remove nail polish because the water won't be able to touch your nails when you make wudu... but you are allowed to put the nail polish back on after making wudu and then going to pray with it on. :thumbs_up

I don't now of any direct evidence that forbids it... (it might be hard to find since the majority of scholars believe that women have to cover their faces anyway, so why would the prophet be telling them not wear make-up in front of men when they can't even show them their face?). However make-up does fall under the general meaning of this verse:

“…and not to reveal their adornment except to their husbands…”

[al-Noor 24:31]

If you can come up with a better explanation than what I just gave, then I would love to hear it!! It is hard to convince people that it is haram when there is no direct evidence.

skhalid
04-18-2007, 12:59 PM
It is not haram but has ben considered it is best for young unmarried women not to wear...to avoid attracting male attention....anyways to be honest theres no rule in wearing make-up for who ever the lucky guy is after marriage, really for those unmarried girls, they should try not to wear make-up as much, lip-gloss is still make up..although vasceline etc isn't....did anyone know that it is sunna to wear eyeliner?? (not over doing it)...i heared this from many people and was wondering if it was true...
Jazakallah

Malaikah
04-21-2007, 12:54 AM

Yes it is sunnah to wear a certain type of eye liner called kohl (it is powdery), but it is haram for women to wear it in front of men who are not mahrams. :)

madeenahsh
04-23-2007, 08:23 PM
Asallam alaikum warahmatullaah

Sis fi deen , I would like to recommand you to submit your question to scholars for best clarification bidhinillaah.and tawfeeq is from Allaah subhanawatalaa'llaah.

USE this link http://www.albaseerah.org/forum/ to submit your question directly to the scholars!

BarakAllaah feekum

Wasalaam alaikum.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.