/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Womens Rights

Thanaa
04-24-2007, 03:24 PM
I was in my local bookshop today, and I was going to buy a book (duh, lol!)...I cant remeber what it was called but it was pretty adamant that the reason that women inherit less, etc. was because they are inferior.
As in, their husbands are supposed to provide for them, and that that therefore is pathetic.
I was just thinking though...If women get less because their menfolk are supposed to look after them, then would a man who inherits more than his sister be expected to put say, half of the total inherited towards the care of his family, whereas she could keep hers for herself?
:?
Im confused, lol!
The woman who wrote the book didnt seem to be much of a muslim (is she was one at all) to me, from the things she was saying, and it really distressed me to see books that portray Islam as negative towards women being sold as intro guides to Islam! :raging:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
04-24-2007, 03:40 PM
:salamext:

The man has to use his wealth to support the wife/children etc. since that is an obligation upon him. Whereas the woman keeps hers without having to spend on her husband. Even if she's wealthier than him, and if she were to use her wealth on the husband/children etc. then that would be a form of charity on her behalf, and inshaa Allaah she would be rewarded for that by Allaah.

So in reality that isn't because she's inferior, but because that is her right. It's so ironic how people try to attack the good that women get in Islaam by portraying it as something negative. It shows their pure hatred for the truth, and Allaah will deal with them.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-24-2007, 03:45 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Thanaa
I was in my local bookshop today, and I was going to buy a book (duh, lol!)...I cant remeber what it was called but it was pretty adamant that the reason that women inherit less, etc. was because they are inferior.
As in, their husbands are supposed to provide for them, and that that therefore is pathetic.
im sorry sister im a little confused, are you calling the laws of Allah pathetic (audhubillah!!)? please forgive me if i misunderstood.

I was just thinking though...If women get less because their menfolk are supposed to look after them, then would a man who inherits more than his sister be expected to put say, half of the total inherited towards the care of his family, whereas she could keep hers for herself?
:?
Im confused, lol!
as bro fi-sab explained, women get less because they dont have to share it whereas men must spend it all in the way of their family. it makes sense to me because women need dowry right for security, therefore they inherit this for security, whereas man work for dowry and men work to look after the family. If a woman can work then let her do so, it still doesnt mean you have to share your money.

and the wisdom of Allah is greatest, so lets not question it as Allah knows best

The woman who wrote the book didnt seem to be much of a muslim (is she was one at all) to me, from the things she was saying, and it really distressed me to see books that portray Islam as negative towards women being sold as intro guides to Islam! :raging:
lets not judge the woman or her intentions inshaAllah

Pk_#2
04-24-2007, 03:49 PM
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Listen to bro fi sabz & bro Ibn AH

Are you a femenist? :muddlehea

Don't be so glum we get everything we wan :D

WalaykumSalaam Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
FatimaAsSideqah
04-24-2007, 03:53 PM
:sl:

The statement that men are a degree above women means that authority within the household has been give to the husband in preference to the wife because a heavier burden has been placed on his shoulders by another verse of the Quran which says:

Men shall take full care of women, because Allah has given the one more strength than the other, and because they support them from their means.Therefore the righteous women are devoutly obedient, and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah would have them guard ... Qur'an [4 : 34]

The statement of Allah in the chapter `Woman':

`Men are protectors and maintainers of women ...'
Qur'an [4 : 34]

:w:

Pk_#2
04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
^^ jazakiAllahu khair

in other words we relax while they work their ahems off

Unless we really wana go out there and work :p

Oh how great Allah (Swt) is...Allahu akbar :D

FatimaAsSideqah
04-24-2007, 03:59 PM

Oh how great Allah (Swt) is...Allahu akbar
Allahu Akbar! Ameen...:thumbs_up :D

Thanaa
04-24-2007, 04:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim

im sorry sister im a little confused, are you calling the laws of Allah pathetic (audhubillah!!)? please forgive me if i misunderstood.

as bro fi-sab explained, women get less because they dont have to share it whereas men must spend it all in the way of their family. it makes sense to me because women need dowry right for security, therefore they inherit this for security, whereas man work for dowry and men work to look after the family. If a woman can work then let her do so, it still doesnt mean you have to share your money.

and the wisdom of Allah is greatest, so lets not question it as Allah knows best

lets not judge the woman or her intentions inshaAllah
No, lol, I meant that she was making out that that Muslim women were pathetic and oppressed.
I didnt mean to sound like I was judging her. I just get irritated when people cant live and let live, or when they deliberately misrepresent things...:-[
I thought I was thinking along the right lines about men providing for their families :)...I just wanted to check with people who know more than me ^_^

ummzayd
04-24-2007, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by |)431)M1
^^ jazakiAllahu khair

in other words we relax while they work their ahems off

Unless we really wana go out there and work :p

Oh how great Allah (Swt) is...Allahu akbar :D

wa alaikum as-salaam sis

alhamdulillah for the men in our lives and may Allah ta'ala bless them and give them rewards in abundance for their hard work in maintaining and protecting their women and families. ameen

But sis, sis - RELAX?!! No chance lol I don't know any wife/mum who spends even half a minute of the day relaxing. I was an office manager before I got married & worked about 10 hours a day, plus the commuting time (nightmare in rush hour on the underground). well it was a doddle compared to now (3 kids masha'Allah). Still I don't want to go back to work bcos it's so rewarding being a mum, insha'allah not just this life but the next. Alhamdulillah.

I'm not complaining just that it made me laugh when you said women relax while the men work.

Allah-creation
04-25-2007, 05:36 AM
i know men suck when it comes to dealing with kidz.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-25-2007, 11:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Allah-creation
i know men suck when it comes to dealing with kidz.
:p loll

not really, ma dad was like my mum bro :), wallahi pure love!! always makin sure we hav medecine, always seein if we workin etc, always seein how we feel lol, he was always there, even massaged me loads :uuh:

( may Allah have mercy o him )

skhalid
04-25-2007, 01:01 PM
hehehehe...'men suck wen it comes to kidz' good one....its not like that actually...its just they have been given more responsibilities by Allah than us women....didn't I hear someone say..the less responsibility one has the better!!!? lol

tomtomsmom
04-25-2007, 01:06 PM
So a woman's husband dies and she gets little of his money because his family or hers is supposed to support her? What is the woman's family isn't muslim and says it is her job to support her and the kids (or she has no family at all) or her husbands family didn't like her and refuses to help her. What then?

Talha777
04-25-2007, 01:12 PM
If people's situation is so bad, then obviously they are dependent on charity and zakaat. But this does not means the laws which Allah made with regard to inheritance can be changed by man.

- Qatada -
04-25-2007, 01:29 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
So a woman's husband dies and she gets little of his money because his family or hers is supposed to support her? What is the woman's family isn't muslim and says it is her job to support her and the kids (or she has no family at all) or her husbands family didn't like her and refuses to help her. What then?

I think the sister who started the thread was talking about the inheritance which the father leaves for his offspring, i'm not totally sure about the issue of what the husband leaves for his wife etc.

If i find any info on it, i'll post up inshaa Allaah.

IbnAbdulHakim
04-25-2007, 04:14 PM
get married again :D

dont worry , Allahs provided so many avenues for those who are less fortunate.

Trust me, the woman will be allright inshaAllah :)
and any hardship she takes inshaAllah she will be rewarded for it!

ummzayd
04-25-2007, 08:15 PM
The laws of inheritance can actually be quite complex, but one thing to say straight away is that the share of the female (eg wife, mother) is fixed and the other heirs are residual, meaning that the wife (&/or mother) will get their proportion first, and the rest is shared among the others. This means that in case there are a lot of other heirs the wife or mother's share will actually be more than the other individuals' shares.

There are many ways for a couple to protect the wife's interests in case the husband dies. As a stay-at-home mum of 3 small children I (and my husband) are keen to make sure that I am not left in financial difficulties in case the worse happens. Islamic inheritance laws are flexible enough for these situations. For example, a Muslim can leave one third of his estate to whomever he chooses so a wife can request that he chooses to leave this to her :)

Also, most couples will be joint owners of the property they live in even if the husband is the one who pays the (halal) mortgage. If you're not then get yourself on the deeds pronto unless you are independently rich. so in case the husband died, if the wife gets one third of his half as well as one eighth or whatever her usual share is, this should leave her fairly secure.

We did research this subject and the information here is to the best of my knowledge and is specific to my husband's circumstances eg his heirs are his mother, myself and 4 sons. Every Muslim should seek advice of a knowledgeable person for his/her own will.

Peace

ummzayd

Muslim Woman
04-26-2007, 10:19 AM

I seek refuge in Allah (The One God) from the Satan (devil) the cursed, the rejected

With the name of ALLAH (swt) -The Bestower Of Unlimited Mercy, The Continously Merciful

Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh (May the peace, mercy and blessings of Allah be upon you)

&&

So a woman's husband dies and she gets little of his money ....
-- I did not read the whole thread . There are many scopes to help any needy person in Islam. As already one mentions zakat can be given to her if she is poor.

Women get due share with or without kids , kids get their shares in dad's property , if dad is poor & grand pa is rich , he can give upto 1/3 to his grandchilden etc .

Insha Allah , i will try to browse fatwa about women's rights on husbands property , if u need to know more

tomtomsmom
04-26-2007, 01:03 PM
I know this is kinda random but.....................what if the wife isn't muslim? Does she then have no right to the money?

vpb
04-26-2007, 01:14 PM
may Allah swt makes us not from among ignorants, amongs those who speak about something for which they have no knowledge at all. May Allah save us from being citizens of hell-fire.

tomtomsmom
04-26-2007, 01:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by vpb
may Allah swt makes us not from among ignorants, amongs those who speak about something for which they have no knowledge at all. May Allah save us from being citizens of hell-fire.
:? :? :?
Are you talking about me brother?

vpb
04-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Are you talking about me brother?
No, I was talking in general, especially for the author of the book. being ingnorant is the worst thing can happen, cuz everything bad comes with it.

tomtomsmom
04-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Ohhh ok thanks. I was worried that I had done something wrong. I am just trying to learn.

vpb
04-26-2007, 01:57 PM
it's the fact that people make statements against Islam and its rulings, when they have no knowledge at all about it. But Allah swt guides whom he wants

IbnAbdulHakim
04-26-2007, 02:14 PM
I know this is kinda random but.....................what if the wife isn't muslim? Does she then have no right to the money?
i honestly dont know the answer to this.

im going to bite my tongue before making my own fatwa :X

vpb
04-26-2007, 03:30 PM
i honestly dont know the answer to this.
im going to bite my tongue before making my own fatwa
u better do :D:D:D, or inshaAllah you will be a scholar one day, and you will be able to give fatwas :D

Sheikh Ibn Abdul Hakim :D

youngsister
04-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Mmm you know some books are weird man.
I read this one and the man wrote a woman is a man slave and it also said that gold and silk was haram for women:?

Its always good to gain your own knowledge because some books do sometimes have the wrong information and some quote fabricated hadiths.

- Qatada -
04-26-2007, 03:47 PM
:wasalamex

format_quote Originally Posted by youngsister
Mmm you know some books are weird man.
I read this one and the man wrote a woman is a man slave and it also said that gold and silk was haram for women:?

We know that the wife isn't the slave of the man, and that's apparent by what we see in the example of Allaah's Messenger and his excellent treatment to his wives.

Gold and Silk is forbidden for the muslim men in this life, and it's allowed for muslim women.

Its always good to gain your own knowledge because some books do sometimes have the wrong information and some quote fabricated hadiths.

Yeah, thats true.

جوري
04-26-2007, 04:50 PM
On this subject.. I'll ask a tangential Question
Giving zakat is wonderful, in every sense not just as fulfilling one of your pillars-- but how are these receiving zakat perceived or judged by G-D? In other words.. I know of several hadith to support that one should work for their keep rather than receive handouts.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.