/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What your phone charger does at night

Fishman
04-28-2007, 06:45 PM
:sl:
Remember to unplug your phone charger at night, or any time when you are not using it, because it still uses energy even when it does not have a phone on it. TVs also do this, even when they are not on standby.
:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al_Imaan
04-28-2007, 07:18 PM
even if the tv's off?...wat about computers, when its hybernating its still off, isnt it?

Fishman
04-28-2007, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al_imaan_786
even if the tv's off?...wat about computers, when its hybernating its still off, isnt it?
No, they still use energy unless you turn it off at the socket. Not as much as leaving it on standby, but it still adds up.

Another way to save energy is to only put the amount of water you want to boil into a kettle. kettles use loads of energy, and simply doing this could save you loads of money.

Al_Imaan
04-28-2007, 07:30 PM
oh ok...thanx for sharing..i mean reminding us...:p

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Snowflake
04-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Good reminder! Some TV's use the same amount of energy on stand-by as when they are on.

Other things worth switching off are:

1) PC (uses lots of power)
2) Shower
3) Kitchen Appliances that remain on stand-by like microwave.
4) All lights around the house that are not in use/Use energy-saving bulbs in hallways and wherever possible.
5) Turn off iron when there's one garment left to iron. It will provide enough heat to finish ironing.
6) Games consoles.

Trust me, ignore people when they say it ' uses a only a bit of electricity'. It all adds up and it's not them paying the bills!

Snowflake
04-28-2007, 07:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman

Another way to save energy is to only put the amount of water you want to boil into a kettle. kettles use loads of energy, and simply doing this could save you loads of money.
Oh yeah, good one! To save even more energy, fill a hot-water flask and use that to make your cuppas throughout the day.

And if you don't have one, invest in a pressure cooker. It really cuts down on the time it takes to cook anything, especially meat.

Tilmeez
04-28-2007, 07:45 PM
good reminder!!! will take care for such things inshallah thanks!

abu abdurrahman
04-28-2007, 07:49 PM
A TV on stand-by uses as much as 80% of the energy that would be consumed in having it on.

We are on a month long trial at our house at the moment to see how much we might save by turning all unneccessary appliances off before bed..

I don't always remember to turn it all off, just need to set it in our routine really.

H4RUN
04-28-2007, 08:05 PM

hmm well erm i leave the charger on at night, to charge my telephone booth, but when the battery is fully charged i still leave it on, im hardly going to get up in the middle of the night just to turn it off eh?:p

I guess one should just live life on the edge and invest in a tent:D SORTED

MusLiM 4 LiFe
04-28-2007, 08:08 PM
no wonder our electricity n gas bil cme up £700 :X:X:X:X

Snowflake
04-28-2007, 09:14 PM
^shabash! lol

You can cut central heating costs by turning down the thermostat a few degrees too.

SirZubair
04-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Sometimes i leave my Playstation console and my PC running for weeks and forget all about it,.... :exhausted

Muezzin
04-28-2007, 09:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
Sometimes i leave my Playstation console and my PC running for weeks and forget all about it,.... :exhausted
See, even downloading pirated movies has a price :p :D

goldberg
04-28-2007, 10:01 PM
dont forget about alarm clocks, remember to remove the batteries at night :D

Al_Imaan
04-28-2007, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SirZubair
u can say that again...except i dont forget, i just leave it on w/out worryin bout it...:X

dont forget about alarm clocks, remember to remove the batteries at night
lol...yep wasting battery energy...:p

H4RUN
04-28-2007, 10:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by goldberg
lol wise, very wise

SirZubair
04-28-2007, 10:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muezzin
See, even downloading pirated movies has a price :p :D
I've never downloaded movies :p i try to be as legit as i can be :p

Qudsiyah
04-29-2007, 04:00 AM
how about the radio? Is it also the same?

H4RUN
04-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Turn off your house alarms when you go to bed:p The price builds up for the blue flashing light of the alarm box:D It's only going to dazzle mr burgular, so just leave it off:D good citizens we are

afriend
04-29-2007, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by goldberg
LOL!!

format_quote Originally Posted by H4RUN
Turn off your house alarms when you go to bed:p The price builds up for the blue flashing light of the alarm box:D It's only going to dazzle mr burgular, so just leave it off:D good citizens we are
;D You joker!! But hmm....I switch off my monitor because it makes a 'hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm' sound all night, I can't even take the socket for the TV out, it's all the way behind the cupboard :X

jzcasejz
04-29-2007, 10:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram
;D You joker!! But hmm....I switch off my monitor because it makes a 'hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm' sound all night, I can't even take the socket for the TV out, it's all the way behind the cupboard :X
Yeah same here, I had this brick (maaaassive) monitor that used to make a sound like that. Got me all scared...felt like it was gonna overheat overnight or something.

Buh anywayz...thanks for the advice...but my Bro doesn't have the nickname of 'Security' for no reason. He locks all the doors at night and unplugs every plug before he goes sleep...can be annyoing at times...but it's all cool.

ranma1/2
05-01-2007, 07:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
Good reminder! Some TV's use the same amount of energy on stand-by as when they are on.

Other things worth switching off are:

1) PC (uses lots of power)
2) Shower
3) Kitchen Appliances that remain on stand-by like microwave.
4) All lights around the house that are not in use/Use energy-saving bulbs in hallways and wherever possible.
5) Turn off iron when there's one garment left to iron. It will provide enough heat to finish ironing.
6) Games consoles.

Trust me, ignore people when they say it ' uses a only a bit of electricity'. It all adds up and it's not them paying the bills!
In japan the majority of tvs dont use power at all when you turn it off manually, if you use the remote they still use some power.

ranma1/2
05-01-2007, 07:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
2) Shower
!
Shower? Dont you normally turn it off when your not taking one?
"unless your in japan" We actually have the sa you need it water heaters so we turn off the gas when we dont need hot water.

------
05-01-2007, 07:42 AM
:salamext:

:lol: H4RUN bhai ur a joka!!!!!!! ;D

I cant turn my fone charger off at night...coz it charges my fone :D

Snowflake
05-01-2007, 01:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ranma1/2
Shower? Dont you normally turn it off when your not taking one?
"unless your in japan" We actually have the sa you need it water heaters so we turn off the gas when we dont need hot water.
lol course it's off when it's not in use otherwise my house would get flooded! But there's a stand-by pull-switch which I meant should be switched off. I know it's using energy cuz the bulb stays on if it isn't switched off.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

:lol: H4RUN bhai ur a joka!!!!!!! ;D

You make it sound like your phone is as big as a house. It should charge in less than half an hour. Not all night! Have some mercy on your parents bank account. ;D

Muslim Knight
05-01-2007, 02:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

The memory effect. The more frequent and longer you charge the battery, the faster it's gonna fail. I make it a point to charge full my battery and then immediately unplug it, only to recharge it again after one day has passed or when I completely drained it.

------
05-01-2007, 03:27 PM

I cant get up in the middle of the night to unplug it :p

Snowflake
05-01-2007, 05:02 PM
put the alarm on so it wakes u at 2am to unplug it! :p

kidding... charge it in the evening then! honestly! lol

------
06-08-2007, 05:51 PM

Nah, am using it and am out n about in da evenin... da fone only gets a rest bout midnight :D poor thing :D

Kittygyal
06-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Salamualik.
errrr who can be asked to wake up in middle of night!! i CAN'T and by the way me charger charges me cell so erm i can't unplug the thingymigy.
Remember just put the heaters for show and when it's cold don't use them MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Ma'assalama

Lina
06-10-2007, 12:03 AM

Yeah, Appliances use 40% of their power even when they're not in use.

A power strip is great because you can turn off everything with just turning off the power strip instead of unplugging every single appliance.

It will really safe you money.

saira-k
06-13-2007, 07:04 PM
hawww oops better start remebring to tke dem out socket!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.