/* */

PDA

View Full Version : looking 4 file organizer

siFilam
05-01-2007, 08:57 PM
In The Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful

:salamext:
and greetings

Is there any good software for organizing all the research documents, articles, ebooks etc. I need to organize all my stuff cause they're all over my laptop.
Jazakallah Khair.

Wasalam
-SI-

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
yussufmo
05-01-2007, 09:01 PM
not that i heard of sis sorri..

Woodrow
05-01-2007, 10:23 PM
:sl:

CNET has a few of the available. The ones that do not say "Buy Now" are free ware.

I believe you will find what you need there. I believe you have to register as a Member to download the freee stuff. I'm a member. It is free to join.

Here is the link to the file organizer downloads.

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0....nizer&tag=srch

snakelegs
05-02-2007, 01:43 AM
when you download it, does it automatically change the way you have your files now - or only if you tell it what to do?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
05-02-2007, 04:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
when you download it, does it automatically change the way you have your files now - or only if you tell it what to do?
They are separate programs basically what a file organizer does is locate all of the files on your pc and then allows you to serach for them by category or key word. the files are not changed or moved.

I use one strictly for images and videos. althought it is not one of the downloads from CNET they are all basically the same. I use clip organizer, which is included with Microsoft Office.

Abdul Fattah
05-02-2007, 05:29 AM
how about midnight commander?
Lil bit tricky to use at first though, and you'll have to search how to install it for windows

http://www.ibiblio.org/mc/

Woodrow
05-02-2007, 05:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
how about midnight commander?
Lil bit tricky to use at first though, and you'll have to search how to install it for windows

http://www.ibiblio.org/mc/
Here is a link to download it for windows. In my opinion, I would not recommend it to a casual user or someone with average PC experience. However, for those of use who like to dive in and tweak programs and try to make XP act like Linux, it looks fantastic.

Abdul Fattah
05-02-2007, 05:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Here is a link to download it for windows. In my opinion, I would not recommend it to a casual user or someone with average PC experience. However, for those of use who like to dive in and tweak programs and try to make XP act like Linux, it looks fantastic.
Brother, you forgot to add your link :)
Why make those expensive Windows "work like Linux", when you get Linux for free in the first place? :p

Woodrow
05-02-2007, 07:58 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul Fattah
Brother, you forgot to add your link :)
Why make those expensive Windows "work like Linux", when you get Linux for free in the first place? :p

OOOOOps, that would be helpfull

The site is in German, but it has an English option. This link should connect in English

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://homepages.compuserve.de/SiegwardJaekel/mc-
de.htm&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=2&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DGNU%2BMidnight%2BCommander%2Bfor%2Bwi ndows%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:
en-US:official%26hs%3D6L9

I needed a lot of the stuff that was on XP Pro and I got a good buy on a huge bundle that included many programs I wanted that it was included in.It would have cost me considerably more to buy the programs seperatly

Woodrow
05-02-2007, 08:02 AM
If that link doesn't work here is the original German, with a translation option

http://homepages.compuserve.de/SiegwardJaekel/mc-de.htm

snakelegs
05-03-2007, 11:47 PM
They are separate programs basically what a file organizer does is locate all of the files on your pc and then allows you to serach for them by category or key word. the files are not changed or moved.

I use one strictly for images and videos. althought it is not one of the downloads from CNET they are all basically the same. I use clip organizer, which is included with Microsoft Office.
thanks - i didn't even realize that. i have office. now i will see if i can figure out how to use it.
i have been warned about downloading free programs. what do you think about that? i've seen some interesting looking links but haven't downloaded anything with the exception of the audacity software.
since you are quite a techie (at least compared to me) - do you know if there is a program that you can either buy or download safely for free, that would allow you to store your dvd's on your hard drive?

Woodrow
05-04-2007, 01:42 AM
thanks - i didn't even realize that. i have office. now i will see if i can figure out how to use it.
i have been warned about downloading free programs. what do you think about that? i've seen some interesting looking links but haven't downloaded anything with the exception of the audacity software.
since you are quite a techie (at least compared to me) - do you know if there is a program that you can either buy or download safely for free, that would allow you to store your dvd's on your hard drive?
There are some safe free download sites. the 3 I trust the most are ZDNET, CZNET and GameHippo.

How can i save dvd movies on my computer?

I try to save but i cant.Tell me step by step. Please tell asap i aprreciate it.Thanks!
7 months ago - 1 answer - Report Abuse
Add/Save

* Add to private Watchlist
* Save to My Web
* Add to Del.icio.us
* Add to My Yahoo!
* RSS

Show who starred

Bullz_ e…A Top Contributor is someone who is knowledgeable in a particular category.
A Top Contributor is someone who is knowledgeable in a particular category.
Video & Online Games
Total points: 11,115 (Level 6)
Points earned this week:
--% Best answer

Bullz_ eye
http://login.yahoo.com/?.pd=c%3d1MKJ...2182639AAopoET

Best Answer - Chosen By Voters

Well this is a hard one because you can't. The only way to do it is if you have a program that will let you save from you're DVD to you're computer unfortunately you can not buy one in stores because of copy protection rights ( Meaning it is illegal to sell them) so I would suggest you download one form ........deleted
I can't put in the source as the source tells how to get around that.

There are some legal Programs you can buy that will allow you to do that.

Nero 7 will do that costs about $80, But there are stipulations as to how you can use it and it will not copy any DVDs that have a copyright code

there are a few other Lower Cost programs that will work fine if you use them just for backing up non copy righted DVDs.

However most commercial DVD Are copy blocked

This one has a free trial:

Okoker Software
Publisher's Website Okoker Software

Okoker DVD Ripper is an easy-to-use DVD ripper that rips and backups your favorite DVD movies to your hard disk driver. It provides a fast and easy way to convert DVD to AVI, VCD, SVCD, DivX, Xvid, and MPEG-1/2/4. The software can export high quality movies, and the speed of ripping is very fast. It is a super DVD ripper. Convert DVD to MPEG1, MPEG2. Convert DVD to VCD or SVCD. Convert DVD to AVI, DivX, and XVID. It only allow rip a dvd disc that you have a authorization.

Version 1.8 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
Source: http://www.download.com/Okoker-DVD-R...ml?tag=lst-0-1

snakelegs
05-04-2007, 03:32 AM
thanks woodrow. i've heard that there are "decoder" programs that you can download. do you know anything about those?
have you ever had a bad experience when downloading freeware? i've never done it except for audacity.
i'm only interested in saving dvd's that i've bought to my hard drive - strictly for my own use, but i guess that's illegal too.
so then people who record tv shows can only use videos and not dvd's?
seems like it should be like it is with cd's. i have all my cd's on my hard drive and sometimes i make my own compilations.

siFilam
05-04-2007, 06:05 AM
In The Name of Allah, The Most Gracious, The Most Merciful

:salamext:
and greetings

Jazakallah Khair to everyone for their help, especially bro Woodrow.

wasalam
-SI-

Woodrow
05-04-2007, 01:44 PM
thanks woodrow. i've heard that there are "decoder" programs that you can download. do you know anything about those?
have you ever had a bad experience when downloading freeware? i've never done it except for audacity.
i'm only interested in saving dvd's that i've bought to my hard drive - strictly for my own use, but i guess that's illegal too.
so then people who record tv shows can only use videos and not dvd's?
seems like it should be like it is with cd's. i have all my cd's on my hard drive and sometimes i make my own compilations.

There are some technicalities and other things that do provide for exceptions. It is legal to download TV shows onto your PC and burn them to a CD. I use All-in-Oneder for that and even get world wide Radio. Some old VCR tapes can be loaded to your HD and then burned to a DVD I use Honestech VHS to DVD for that. Some copy righted material can be cracked and burned if you have permission to do that, but for that you need a program called Iso-Buster.

All of these programs can be costly and you do have to be certain you use them as they are specified. Copy Right violations are taken very seriously. You can download many movies from torrent sites, but you have to cautious of violations. the most trusted site I know is Islamictorrents,net http://www.islamictorrents.net/index.php

For that you will need a torrent client. In my opinion the best is Bitcomet.

http://www.bitcomet.com/doc/download.htm

the paid version allows you to also download Youtube videos.

But, be cautious and use only honest sites to avoid copy right violations.

If you get deeply involved in honest/legal PC to DVD stuff, you will need several file converters.

I use SWF2Video, ConvertxtoDVD, DivxConverter, Flash Video MX, Moyea FLV to Video.

afriend
05-04-2007, 02:53 PM

lol...Now this is what I call laziness :D Trust me sister, there's nothing better than organising stuff yourself.

:w:

snakelegs
05-04-2007, 09:24 PM
There are some technicalities and other things that do provide for exceptions. It is legal to download TV shows onto your PC and burn them to a CD. I use All-in-Oneder for that and even get world wide Radio. Some old VCR tapes can be loaded to your HD and then burned to a DVD I use Honestech VHS to DVD for that. Some copy righted material can be cracked and burned if you have permission to do that, but for that you need a program called Iso-Buster.

All of these programs can be costly and you do have to be certain you use them as they are specified. Copy Right violations are taken very seriously. You can download many movies from torrent sites, but you have to cautious of violations. the most trusted site I know is Islamictorrents,net http://www.islamictorrents.net/index.php

For that you will need a torrent client. In my opinion the best is Bitcomet.

http://www.bitcomet.com/doc/download.htm

the paid version allows you to also download Youtube videos.

But, be cautious and use only honest sites to avoid copy right violations.

If you get deeply involved in honest/legal PC to DVD stuff, you will need several file converters.

I use SWF2Video, ConvertxtoDVD, DivxConverter, Flash Video MX, Moyea FLV to Video.
thanks woodrow. i think i better put this brilliant idea on hold for a while. :D
actually, i don't have a tv - i thought it should be the same principle as putting your dvd's on your hard drive. (sigh)
do you mean that you can't access youtube unless you have some special software? i thought it was because i have dial-up.
maybe someday it will be legal to save dvd's just like you can cd's.
hmmmf!

snakelegs
05-04-2007, 09:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Iqram

lol...Now this is what I call laziness :D Trust me sister, there's nothing better than organising stuff yourself.

:w:
not sure if you were talking to me. but i am very lazy.
what's even worse is that i have a terrible brain when it comes to organizing - i have stuff all over the place. so i thought a magical Organizing Guru might be useful.
i notice a lot of people here seem to be able to put their fingers on info immediately.

Woodrow
05-04-2007, 09:44 PM
thanks woodrow. i think i better put this brilliant idea on hold for a while. :D
actually, i don't have a tv - i thought it should be the same principle as putting your dvd's on your hard drive. (sigh)
do you mean that you can't access youtube unless you have some special software? i thought it was because i have dial-up.
maybe someday it will be legal to save dvd's just like you can cd's.
hmmmf!
No you can still access youtube, you just need Bitcomet if you want to save clips. Like this, I found this on Youtube converted it to flv and saved it:

It is a short clip showing a giant snail. Big critter.

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u...colfromwww.flv

Yes a lot of the youtube files are too big for dial up. When I can not access my daughters DSL I'm stuck on it and can't do anything.

snakelegs
05-04-2007, 11:24 PM
was that snail supposed to move? that must be the kind that people eat. (yuck).
dial-up really sucks sometimes. i'm going to have to look in to how much more it costs for something better and then i can be as good as the other kids!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.