/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Reading Quran In Groups.... Bidah or Not?

chacha_jalebi
05-02-2007, 09:46 AM
salaam:D
Bismillah Ir Rahman Nir Raheem

when people buy a new house or somethin or just generally they have these gatherings where they read the quran together, is that a bidaah?

from my knowledge i dont think RasoolAllah (sal Allah hu aleyhi wasalam) did it, so therefore = bidah??

but some say whats wrong with reading Quran and how can it be a bidah? lol so any help? daleel?

jazakhallah :D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslim Knight
05-02-2007, 10:55 AM
The Prophet would recite it while in the company of Jibril a.s. and also in the company of his Companions. I don't see how reciting Quran in groups can be bidaah. It allows the the more 'alim to correct mistakes of the other.

Volumn 006, Book 061, Hadith Number 564.
-----------------------------------------
Narated By Ibn Abbas : Regarding His (Allah's) Statement: 'Move not your tongue concerning (the Qur'an) to make haste therewith.' (75.16) And whenever Gabriel descended to Allah's Apostle with the Divine Inspiration, Allah's Apostle used to move his tongue and lips, and that used to be hard for him, and one could easily recognize that he was being inspired Divinely. So Allah revealed the Verse which occurs in the Surah starting with "I do swear by the Day of Resurrection.' (75.1) i.e. 'Move not your tongue concerning (the Qur'an) to make haste then with. It is for Us to collect it (in your mind) (O Muhammad) an give you the ability to recite it 'by heart.' (75.16-17) which means: It is for us to collect it (in your mind) and give you the ability to recite it by heart. And when We have recited it to you (O Muhammad) through Gabriel then follow you its recital. (75.18) means: 'When We reveal it (the Qur'an) to you, Listen to it.' for then: It is for Us to explain it and make it clear to you' (75.19) i.e. It is up to Us to explain it through your tongue. So, when Gabriel came to him, Allah's Apostle would listen to him attentively, and as soon as Gabriel left, he would recite the Revelations, as Allah had promised him.

Volumn 006, Book 061, Hadith Number 569.
Narated By 'Abdullah : That the Prophet said to him, "Recite the Qur'an to me." 'Abdullah said, "Shall I recite (the Qur'an) to you while it has been revealed to you?" He said, "I like to hear it from others."
Volumn 006, Book 061, Hadith Number 570.
Narated By Abdullah bin Mas'ud : The Prophet said to me, "Recite (the Quran) to me." I said, "O Allah's Apostle Shall I recite (the Qur'an) to you while it has been revealed to you?" He said, "Yes." So I recited Surat-An-Nisa' (The Women), but when I recited the Verse:

'How (will it be) then when We bring from each nation a witness and We bring you (O Muhammad) as a witness against these people.' (4.41) He said, "Enough for the present," I looked at him and behold! His eyes were overflowing with tears.

Volumn 006, Book 061, Hadith Number 514.
Narated By 'Umar bin Al-Khattab : I heard Hisham bin Hakim reciting Surat Al-Furqan during the lifetime of Allah's Apostle and I listened to his recitation and noticed that he recited in several different ways which Allah's Apostle had not taught me. I was about to jump over him during his prayer, but I controlled my temper, and when he had completed his prayer, I put his upper garment around his neck and seized him by it and said, "Who taught you this Sura which I heard you reciting?" He replied, "Allah's Apostle taught it to me." I said, "You have told a lie, for Allah's Apostle has taught it to me in a different way from yours." So I dragged him to Allah's Apostle and said (to Allah's Apostle):

"I heard this person reciting Surat Al-Furqan in a way which you haven't taught me!" On that Allah's Apostle said, "Release him, (O 'Umar!) Recite, O Hisham!" Then he recited in the same way as I heard him reciting. Then Allah's Apostle said, "It was revealed in this way," and added, "Recite, O 'Umar!" I recited it as he had taught me. Allah's Apostle then said, "It was revealed in this way. This Qur'an has been revealed to be recited in seven different ways, so recite of it whichever (way) is easier for you (or read as much of it as may be easy for you)."

All Hadiths are from Sahih Bukhari

- Qatada -
05-02-2007, 10:57 AM
:wasalamex

I think the basic rule is that the people of Ahlus Sunnah [the people of Sunnah] look at the Prophetic example and the way of the Sahabah to see how they did their acts of worship - then we follow them in that.

The people of Bid'a [innovation] don't even bother to look into how Allaah's Messenger or his companions did the ibaadah [worship] - they follow the way of their 'forefathers' (or copy someone else who never had any proof from Qur'an or Sunnah, who else do they get this form of worship from?) and they start doing the act. Then later on if someone tries to ask them why they doing it, they try to find the evidence for it later.

Therefore, if someone does any act of worship - they have to bring forward the evidence to prove that what they are doing is in accordance with the Sunnah [Prophetic way.] If they don't - then they're the ones doing the wrong.

So we have to see if the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) did it in groups with his companions, if he never - we do what he did, and we stop where he stopped.

And Allaah knows best.

Musalmaan
05-02-2007, 12:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
:wasalamex

I think the basic rule is that the people of Ahlus Sunnah [the people of Sunnah] look at the Prophetic example and the way of the Sahabah to see how they did their acts of worship - then we follow them in that.

The people of Bid'a [innovation] don't even bother to look into how Allaah's Messenger or his companions did the ibaadah [worship] - they follow the way of their 'forefathers' (or copy someone else who never had any proof from Qur'an or Sunnah, who else do they get this form of worship from?) and they start doing the act. Then later on if someone tries to ask them why they doing it, they try to find the evidence for it later.

Therefore, if someone does any act of worship - they have to bring forward the evidence to prove that what they are doing is in accordance with the Sunnah [Prophetic way.] If they don't - then they're the ones doing the wrong.

So we have to see if the Messenger of Allaah (peace be upon him) did it in groups with his companions, if he never - we do what he did, and we stop where he stopped.

And Allaah knows best.

:sl:

i feel my post going to be offensive for you, but i just wanna know, were you leaving all your salaah until you discovered all the evidences abt the differenet postions in salaah?

i'll then have to ask you evidence of some positon in salaah. really curious :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
IbnAbdulHakim
05-02-2007, 12:06 PM
wallahi all this confusion is because people dont understand taqleed.

wallahil azeem thats the only reason.

may Allah grant us understanding to go to the learned men

InToTheRain
05-02-2007, 12:10 PM

EDIT!

Completely took it out of context...sry was busy at work today...Astaghfirullah, forgive if i have offended :(

..Ih dinas siratal Mustakeem...

IbnAbdulHakim
05-02-2007, 12:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
salaam:D
Bismillah Ir Rahman Nir Raheem

when people buy a new house or somethin or just generally they have these gatherings where they read the quran together, is that a bidaah?

from my knowledge i dont think RasoolAllah (sal Allah hu aleyhi wasalam) did it, so therefore = bidah??

but some say whats wrong with reading Quran and how can it be a bidah? lol so any help? daleel?

jazakhallah :D

chacha,

seriously man why dont you go talk to a mufti? man seriously askin for misguidance by chattin to nex laymenz about these kind of things.

Allahu a'lam man but serious, we gotta take who we take our islaam from more seriously then this.

may Allah guide us all.

sorry i kno i asked questions n that before myself, but its recently i realised that "go to the learned men" <--- this ayyat isnt a joke, we gotta take this seriously man

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-02-2007, 12:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
wallahi all this confusion is because people dont understand taqleed.

wallahil azeem thats the only reason.

may Allah grant us understanding to go to the learned men
:salamext:

What has taqleed got to do with this?:? And it's not a question of whether reading Qur'an is bid'ah, it's whether reading it in groups is bid'ah.

Ibn 'Umar RadhiyAllahu 'anhu said:

"Every innovation is misguidance, even if the people see it as something good."

Abu Shaamah (no. 39).

Sufyaan ath-Thowree (rahima-hullaah) mentions:

"Innovation is more beloved to Iblees than sin, since a sin may be repented from but innovation is not repented from."

al-Laalikaa'ee - Sharh Usool I'tiqaad Ahlis-Sunnah wal-Jamaa'ah (no. 238)

Please lets stay with the original topic now. Any other discussions are for another thread.

Musalmaan
05-02-2007, 12:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
chacha,

seriously man why dont you go talk to a mufti? man seriously askin for misguidance by chattin to nex laymenz about these kind of things.

Allahu a'lam man but serious, we gotta take who we take our islaam from more seriously then this.

may Allah guide us all.

sorry i kno i asked questions n that before myself, but its recently i realised that "go to the learned men" <--- this ayyat isnt a joke, we gotta take this seriously man

yeah akhi,

Allah SWT says in Surat al-Nisa, (interpretation of the meaning)

" If they had referred it to the Messenger and to those of authority among them, then those of them whose task it is to find it out would have known the matter " (Qur'an 4:83)

" Ask those who recall, if you know not " (Qur'an 16:43),

IbnAbdulHakim
05-02-2007, 12:27 PM
wa alaikum ussalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

^ ukhtee i could refute both those hadith right now but will you listen to me with an open heart?

taking hadith out of context is something very dangerous, please dont do it inshaAllah.

we have seen from the lips of such great ulama that there is infact bid'a hasanat.

oh and sis, wallahi those two hadith are well known to me, may Allah save me from evil bid'a.

ON TOPIC

you want to know wat taqleed has to do with this topic, if he simply went to a learned mufti who he trusts, whos been through university and studied etc and asked him, he could even ask for proof if he really likes which is not necessary as we've seen from ibn shayba rahimahullah's books (unless you wanna argue with someone linked to abu hanifa rahimahullah) and many many other hadith books, then chacha could avoid all this confusion you see and get a clear answer and a clear conciounce (how do u spell that??) but by asking us and trying to derive OUR EVIDENCE HIMSELF his only THROWING HIMSELF IN CONFUSION>

^ is that hard to understand?

forgive me if i sound harsh, but im worried about each and every one of us, wallahi i am because i love all ma brothers and sisters in islam.

ya Allah please guide us...

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-02-2007, 12:35 PM

I don't think anyone here intends to start making fataawa themselves.:) Ofcourse, we should go to the men and women of knowledge. Perhaps the brother was asking if any of us knew of any fataawa regarding this subject? There's no harm in posting up fataawah is there?

And i'm going to follow the overwhelming majority of scholars and say every bid'ah is evil.:) After all, kulli bid'atan dhalaala.

Now let's stay ON-TOPIC.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-02-2007, 12:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Umm 'Abdullah

I don't think anyone here intends to start making fataawa themselves.:) Ofcourse, we should go to the men and women of knowledge. Perhaps the brother was asking if any of us knew of any fataawa regarding this subject? There's no harm in posting up fataawah is there?

And i'm going to follow the overwhelming majority of scholars and say every bid'ah is evil.:) After all, kulli bid'atan dhalaala.

Now let's stay ON-TOPIC.
wa alaikum ussalaam

no, thats kool *phew*

may Allah help us stick to the majority of the ulama and to the 'ijmaa.

Ameen

i apologise if i caused any offence ukhtee, please accept inshaAllah

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-02-2007, 12:58 PM

I found something relevant. I hope it benefits you inshaAllah.

Question: I just recently moved into my new house and my parents are thinking about having a ceremony where your parents, friends, and their children come over and read Sûrah YâSîn together. The purpose of doing this is to spread Allah's words in your house and keep it safe from evil. Is this right or wrong?

Answered by Sheikh Husayn al-Jabûrî, professor at Umm al-Qurâ University

A Muslim is requested to recite the Qur’ân continuously, for which he will be rewarded. The believer who recites the Qur’ân will be rewarded for every single letter he utters, which is from the infinite grace of Allah which He bestows upon whomever He pleases.

Reciting the Qur’ân is permissible in all legal circumstances and even in some special situations such as the treatment of ailments and seeking protection from the evils of people and Jinn.

However, what you describe is that your father intends to gather together his friends and their sons to recite Sûrah YâSîn because you moved into a new house. I consider such an act to be an unlawful innovation because of the way it is being carried out.

Otherwise, we are permitted to gather together for the remembrance of Allah and to review some part of the Qur’an and Sunnah or some Islamic legal matter. For this everyone will be rewarded.

The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Any group of people who sit together for the remembrance of Allah will be surrounded by angels, showered with mercy, blessed with tranquility, and Allah will remember them in the company of His angels.”

Mu`âwiyah relates that the Prophet (peace be upon him) passed by a group of the Companions sitting together in a circle and asked: “What made you sit here?” They said: "We sit to remember Allah and praise Him.” The Prophet ( peace be upon him) said: “Gabriel has just came to me and informed me that Allah is speaking highly about you before His angels.”

A Muslim is allowed to protect himself, his money, and his house whenever he enters a temporary or permanent residence. The Prophet (peace be upon him) said : “Whoever resides in a place and says ‘I seek refuge with Allah’s complete words from the evils of everything He created' will not be hurt by anything until he leaves that place.”

Source

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-02-2007, 01:02 PM

Lets just ask ourselves if the Messenger did it or did the Sahaba do it. If they did not do it, there is no benefit in it. We know how one of the Companions censured group Dhikr simply because it was not from the way of the Messenger or the Companions. No act of worship is acceptable, in form or substance, unless in conforms with the Sunnah.I think the statement of Ibn Mas'ud is worth quoting here: "Realize that, either you are more knowledgeable than Muhammad and his Companions, or else you are holding on to the tail of misguidance."

If you can bring us proof that they read the Qur'an in groups like when opening a new house or those events known as "Qur'an Khanis" in the way that is being described, we will agree with you. If you do not, then that is the end of the matter.

:w:

NoName55
05-02-2007, 01:07 PM
^ whenever one has spare time one can gather a group of people to recite but when it is done as a specific ritual (like on occasion of house warming) it is a blatant innovation. and the only "scholars" who call bidah a husna act are the ones who are the innovators. :w:

chacha_jalebi
05-02-2007, 03:34 PM
lol i feel i made a mistake by askin the question :p

the only reason i asked on here is because i feel that loads of people on here are proper knowlegdeable mashallah, if i felt that no one could help out i wouldnt have asked :D

this is a confusing matter lol,

jazakhallah for all the replies though

Muhammad
05-02-2007, 03:41 PM

We should always ask when we don't know something, but the best thing is to ask someone who is qualified. Masha'Allaah many on this forum do have knowledge, but none here are scholars and we can therefore only respond with a very limited ability. This is why often the only help we can give is to refer to those who have more knowledge than us :)

May Allaah teach us understanding of His religion, Aameen!

------
05-02-2007, 03:42 PM

In cases like this, you should go to a learned man, scholar/ Aalim. Asking for detailed issues within Islaam on a forum, where no one is qualified to issue our fatwas will not help you a lot.

Hope you find ur answer Inshaa Allaah.

chacha_jalebi
05-02-2007, 03:43 PM
true say muhammad :D

and ameen

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.