/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Vulnerable UK Muslim Women Go Ninja

FatimaAsSideqah
05-03-2007, 09:42 PM
:sl:

LONDON — Walking down London streets, women abusers might mistaken Mahmuda Mazid for an easy prey. They should think twice because the 31-year-old mother is one of many Muslim women seeking self-defense in martial arts.
"In the classes I saw protection and self defense. That's what I needed," hijab-clad Mazid told Reuters on Thursday, May 3.

Like several veiled women who gather in a community centre in east London every week, she is learning how to defend herself through the ancient Japanese recipe for self-defense.

Mazid joined the classes, named Ninjapi after old Japanese Ninja warriors, after a gang tried to rob her teenage brother while she stood watching in a local park.

"There was this sheer feeling of helplessness that I couldn't help myself or my brother... and there was absolute rage," she recalled.

"I knew I had to do something to equip myself."

The course, organized by the Islamic Circles organization, aims to give women the tools to protect themselves from different kinds of attacks.

During the classes, over 30 Muslim women learn how to perform proper strikes and punches whenever needed.

"The ladies love the Ninjabi thing. It gives them a good giggle," said trainer Dee Terry, who also teaches Judo, Jujitsu and Kickboxing.

She believes that the women's Islamic dressing neither hinders their learning nor makes them any easier target for attackers.

"An attacker can pull your headscarf but they can also pull your hair, so Islamic clothes don't make that much of a difference."

Needed

Organizers insist the classes were a must given the recent surge in racist attacks targeting Muslim women.

"We had heard of increasing Islamophobia and other sorts of attacks on Muslim women," said Mizan Raja, a coordinator of the London-based Islamic Circles.

"Women were coming and asking for self-defense classes. It was a need."

Raja added that the Ninjapi courses are becoming popular.

"We could fill a class a day. It's totally oversubscribed," she said.

"It's about empowering Muslim women... We could do it throughout the country."

Attacks on Muslims in London, and across Britain, soared in the days after the 7/7 attacks in 2005.

Figures collated by London's Metropolitan Police, and presented in a report by the Muslim Safety Forum, showed 303 attacks in London in July 2005, up from 82 the previous month.

The attacks ranged from verbal abuse and vandalism of mosques to physical attacks, said Azad Ali, chairman of the forum.

He believes the real number is likely much higher due to the lack of agreed-upon criteria among the country's police forces for what constitutes an Islamophobic attack.

British Muslims, estimated at nearly two million, have been in the eye of storm since the 7/7 attacks, which killed 56 people, including four British Muslim bombers.

A Guardian/ICM poll has showed that one in five of those interviewed said they or a family member have faced abuse or hostility.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...News/NWELayout

:w:

Fi Amani Allah

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
snakelegs
05-03-2007, 09:46 PM
excellent!

tomtomsmom
05-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Good for them!!! Every woman should know how to protect herself and her family if the need arises. I have never taken a self defense "class" so to speak. But while growing up my dad would go out it in the yard with me and teach me how to fight. I must say, the things he taught me have gotten me out of a few.....erm........ sticky situations!!!

north_malaysian
05-04-2007, 06:34 AM
I think most of Malaysian girls know martial arts.... Malaysian students have to learn it at school

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
DaNgErOuS MiNdS
05-04-2007, 11:52 AM
I think all types excercise is good for men and women (women especially), some women within the Pakistani community in particular have lifystyles which involve not a lot of excercise at all and this can become seriously unhealthy.

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
05-04-2007, 11:54 AM
As for self-defence I doubt it will help that much.

------
05-04-2007, 12:01 PM
:salamext:

Whats the use of self defence? Someone attacks you...just hit them where it hurts most :rollseyes

'Abd al-Baari
05-04-2007, 12:14 PM

^lol :D:D^
no Mashallah self-defence is a good idea, specially for women

------
05-04-2007, 12:20 PM
:salamext:

specially for women
We aint weak :rollseyes

DeSi_MuSlImAh
05-04-2007, 12:30 PM
brotha cud u plz jusitify by "specially for women"...

'Abd al-Baari
05-04-2007, 12:59 PM

^lol :D:D i know, i think i'm weaker than most women but i was speaking generally as i think women are more vulerable to attacks in the sreets than men

Hope i haven't offended you sisters

islamirama
05-04-2007, 01:18 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by DeSi_MuSlImAh
brotha cud u plz jusitify by "specially for women"...
Allah made men stronger by nature and a woman is seen as the weaker target by thugs than a guy. So it's more important for women to take self-defense that they may be able to use it if need arises.

tomtomsmom
05-04-2007, 02:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullah2907

^lol :D:D i know, i think i'm weaker than most women but i was speaking generally as i think women are more vulerable to attacks in the sreets than men

Hope i haven't offended you sisters
LOL, I am not offended at least!!! You are right. The average woman is weaker than the average man. Because of this, we are an easier target. Self defense is something that everyone (yes even men) need to know. A few basic skills and moves can mean the difference in getting away or not.

To all my sisters: Beating up a guy isn't the goal of self defense. The goal is creating an opening that will let you get away and run!!!!!!!!

DaNgErOuS MiNdS
05-04-2007, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tomtomsmom
LOL, I am not offended at least!!! You are right. The average woman is weaker than the average man. Because of this, we are an easier target. Self defense is something that everyone (yes even men) need to know. A few basic skills and moves can mean the difference in getting away or not.

To all my sisters: Beating up a guy isn't the goal of self defense. The goal is creating an opening that will let you get away and run!!!!!!!!
Seems as if you've been to a lesson or two. I think the best use of martial arts is the excercise because every women has the alarm system thing in case of attack. Speaking of exercise I know a lot of aunties walk around in big group with their trainers on, I think it's called power waling but it's good to see the community getting active.

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-04-2007, 08:40 PM
NEAT! I wouldnt mind joining :D I WAS going to join a kick boxing class once ;D lol.

Snowflake
05-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Excellent! I'd always fancied learning martial arts, especially cuz I got oriental looks. So I kinda got to be able to play the part as well. :lol:

Anyway, seriously though, I think all women should learn self-defence, muslim or not. Jazzy, I wanna learn kick-boxing too! Let's go for it girl! I keep telling my bro to hook up a punch-bag in my bedroom. :p

FatimaAsSideqah
05-04-2007, 09:11 PM

Well, I think it is good idea to do that but be careful do not mixing with blokes!:-[ in the martial arts class..that would lead to fitnah! May Allah Ta'ala forgive us..Ameen

But I would LOVE to see there any classes who can have only FEMALES martial arts class! :thumbs_up

Fi Amani Allah

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Jazzy, I wanna learn kick-boxing too! Let's go for it girl! I keep telling my bro to hook up a punch-bag in my bedroom. :p
^^:giggling: Yea let's go! :D lol

Snowflake
05-04-2007, 10:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by RighteousLady

Well, I think it is good idea to do that but be careful do not mixing with blokes!:-[ in the martial arts class..that would lead to fitnah! May Allah Ta'ala forgive us..Ameen

But I would LOVE to see there any classes who can have only FEMALES martial arts class! :thumbs_up

Fi Amani Allah
No way! I wouldn't dream of joining a mixed class. I wish we had classes for females around here too. But haven't heard of any so far. :-\

FatimaAsSideqah
05-04-2007, 10:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
No way! I wouldn't dream of joining a mixed class. I wish we had classes for females around here too. But haven't heard of any so far. :-\

I know that you wont going to do this with a mixed class! :D

Be patient, there will be one day by new class for only females, InshAllah!

Fi Amani Allah

snakelegs
05-04-2007, 10:27 PM
one of the main things i think women would get out of taking a course like this, is self-confidence.
i've found that many men simply cannot imagine what it is like to be a woman and how much less freedom you have than men. even sometimes when i was walking in the desert and some jeep came down the dirt road, i was always a little afraid and relieved when it passed. most women i know have had some negative experience with men.
one of the rewards of getting older, is that you become somewhat invisible! (of course musims have a degree of this even when young) but even then, it is never really safe to be in certain places. (i realize that it isn't for men either, but women are in more danger and more restricted).
if you live in an area where there are enough muslims, i would call around and see if you can find a woman instructor who would be willing to hold classes for women only. (actually, i think a lot of non-muslims would be happier in women-only classes too). and then one day some ninja muslimah can set up a business doing this.
:thumbs_up

FatimaAsSideqah
05-04-2007, 10:29 PM

Girl Powers! :D

Whoops :-[ !

Fi Amani Allah

tomtomsmom
05-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Maybe a class could be organized through the mosque?!?!?!?

Snowflake
05-05-2007, 12:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by RighteousLady

I know that you wont going to do this with a mixed class! :D

Be patient, there will be one day by new class for only females, InshAllah!

Fi Amani Allah
Bless!! :D

InshaAllah, but I hope it's before I need a hip replacement ;D

Good idea Snake Legs! Ad advert in the local paper would be ideal. Though, I'm not sure mosques would have any idea where to begin. Let's see what happens inshaAllah. :statisfie

Malaikah
05-05-2007, 12:39 AM

I have a black belt in taekwondo, but I don't think it will help at all. I know the moves, but I'm too weak to be able to do any damage!!:exhausted

Seriously, if I punch my brothers they just laugh at me. :X

Unless of course I kick them in the head (or *other* places) but that isn't easy to do considering I wear skirts most of the time.

Anyone else have the same dilemma? :phew

*charisma*
05-05-2007, 01:14 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

I took tae kwon do classes too with my brother. So I got to practice on him... but to be 100% honest, there are some techniques I might use, but overall my first instinct would be to use my own method of fighting...I wouldn't have time to think of the many ways I could get out of the situation. And as we all know, if the dude has a gun, you're pretty much screwed unless you can somehow get the gun out of his hands. If he doesn't have a gun and you are able to hurt him though, then take a few steps back, throw your heels, say bismillah, and hope the darn thing will strike him in the eyes and run yourself down the street screaming "FIRE!!" 'cause apparently that word works better with people than screaming "HELP!!"

If all else fails, recite the shahada.

Besides, what happened to reciting the du'as before leaving your house and not leaving your house without a mahrem? Ah, being replaced by self defense classes.

fi aman Allah
w'salaam

Malaikah
05-05-2007, 03:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
Besides, what happened to reciting the du'as before leaving your house and not leaving your house without a mahrem? Ah, being replaced by self defense classes.

I thought we don't have to take a mahram with us unless we are going long distances?:? A bit hard to take my mahrams with me to uni lol.:hiding:

*charisma*
05-05-2007, 06:03 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

You walk to uni?? I dunno, I can't relate, my bro and I go to the same school by car and the only time I go out is if I'm with my parents or something. If I walked, its a short distance so I'm pretty safe in my neighborhood either way.

I would think if any place is dangerous to the point where you would have to take self-defense classes its probably best to be with a group of girls or with a mahrem when you go out.

fi aman allah
w'salaam

Malaikah
05-05-2007, 07:01 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by *charisma*
You walk to uni??

lol no, I take public transport.

I would think if any place is dangerous to the point where you would have to take self-defense classes its probably best to be with a group of girls or with a mahrem when you go out.
True! but then again, criminals can lurk in safe places too.

Hashim_507
05-05-2007, 07:09 AM
The title of the article sounds funny..LOL

FatimaAsSideqah
05-05-2007, 03:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hashim_507
The title of the article sounds funny..LOL

That was not me..the author did that! :statisfie

Fi Amani Allah

Zulkiflim
05-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Salaam,

good for them...

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.