/* */

PDA

View Full Version : converting and changing your name

tasha>farah
05-06-2007, 09:07 PM
i have not yet filled my change of name part out on the form you get when you convert at the mosque:-[ .The man in the mosque told me that the 1st name isn't important to change but i new straight away i wanted to change my name to farah:thumbs_up .he said that the surname was the most important.i can not decide on a surname and i as just wonderinng if there is anything you should take into consideration before changing your surname,should it have a special meaning,i just don't no.what are your views and any other converts what did you change your name to and how did you decide on this name?:rollseyes

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Pk_#2
05-06-2007, 09:48 PM
AsalamuALaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh,

Farah is a beautiful name sis!!

A name should have a good meaning, i would also like to add arabic and aramaic names have beautiful meanings.

You can search the forum for name threads if you like :)

Peace.

- Qatada -
05-06-2007, 09:55 PM
:salamext:

Sister, thats quite shocking since the surname shouldn't be changed whereas the first name can.

If you've seen the names of any reverts, you'll realise that they may have changed their first name, but a surname - they keep it the same.

Praise be to Allaah.

For the one whom Allaah has guided to Islam, it is sufficient for him to choose an Islamic first name for himself and to keep his father’s name or surname, because the Prophet

(peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not command the Sahaabah [companions] to change their fathers’ and grandfathers’ names when they embraced Islam. However, he did change the first names of those who had names with forbidden or undesirable meanings.

http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=284&ln=eng&txt=

Kittygyal
05-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Salamualium
Am in a hurry haven't read all ya post but just read the title.
I chnaged my name aswel i had to actually. My name was Jodie but now Alisha but still i get people calling me Jodie cause all me family are Christains.

Anywho am out of breathe gotcha bounce

so...

ma'assalama

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tasha>farah
05-07-2007, 05:11 PM
thanks guys 4 that.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.