/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Kissing the Quran

HBot 5000
05-10-2007, 07:03 AM
:sl:

Brothers and sisters i came across this ruling on the above mentioned subject. I have to say i have done it but i did not know it was bid'ah. What do you think? I personally will now refrain from doing it.

The Ruling on Kissing the Qur'aan

http://www.al-ibaanah.com/articles.php?ArtID=91

AUTHOR: Imaam Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaanee
SOURCE: "Kayfa yajibu 'alaynaa an Nufassir al-Qur'aan" (pg. 28-34)
PRODUCED BY: Al-Ibaanah.com

From the upcoming E-Book "How are we Obligated to Interpret the Qur'aan" of Imaam Al-Albaanee, rahimahullaah, being a translation of the booklet "Kayfa yajibu 'alaynaa an Nufassir al-Qur'aan."

Question: What is the ruling on kissing the Qur’aan?

Answer: According to our beliefs, this act falls into the general meaning of certain ahaadeeth (forbidding innovations), such as the Prophet’s (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) statement: “Beware of newly invented matters for indeed every newly invented matter is an innovation, and every innovation is a misguidance.” [1] And in one narration of the hadeeth, it states: “And every misguidance is in the Hellfire.” [2]

Many people hold a certain position with regard to this issue, saying: “What’s wrong with that? It’s only a way of showing our love and respect for this noble Qur’aan.” So we say to them: Yes, that’s true. This only shows one’s love and respect for the noble Qur’aan. However, was this form of respect hidden from the first generation, which consisted of the Companions of Allaah’s Messenger? And likewise was it unknown to those who succeeded the Companions (Taabi’een), as well as their successors (Atbaa’ at-Taabi’een) who came after them? No doubt the answer will be as the scholars amongst the Salaf used to say: “If it were good, they would have preceded us in (doing) it.”

This is one perspective. As for another perspective then we must ask the question: What is the foundation with regard to kissing something – that it is permissible or forbidden?

This requires us to mention the hadeeth reported by the two Shaikhs (Al-Bukhaaree and Muslim) in their Saheeh collection, to remind those who wish to remember, and to make it known how far the Muslims are today from their righteous predecessors, their understanding and their methods used to resolve matters that occurred to them.

The hadeeth I’m referring to is the one reported by ‘Abbaas bin Rabee’ah who narrated: “I saw ‘Umar bin Al-Khattaab (radyAllaahu ‘anhu) kissing the (Black) Stone and saying: ‘I know that you are just a stone and that you can’t cause harm or bring benefit. So if it weren’t that I saw the Messenger of Allaah kissing you, I would not have kissed you.’”

What is the meaning of these words from Al-Faarooq: “If it weren’t that I saw the Messenger of Allaah kissing you, I would not have kissed you?!” [3]

So why then did ‘Umar kiss the Black Stone, which as is stated in the authentic hadeeth: “The Black Stone is from Paradise?” [4]

Did he kiss it based on some logical reasoning that came from him, like that made by those who this question is about, who use their logic on this issue, saying: “This is the Speech of Allaah, and we will kiss it?”

Did ‘Umar say: “This stone is a relic from Paradise, which was promised to those who obey Allaah, so I will kiss it – I don’t need any text from Allaah’s Messenger to show me that it is legislated (in the Religion) to kiss it?!” Or did he treat this “trivial” matter, as some people nowadays want to say, with the slogan that we invite to, which we call the Salafee slogan - which is sincerely following only the Messenger and those who abide by his Sunnah until the Day of Judgement? This was the stance of ‘Umar (radyAllaahu ‘anhu), such that he said: “If it weren’t that I saw the Messenger of Allaah kissing you, I would not have kissed you?!”

So the foundation with regard to this type of kissing is that we treat it based on the past Sunnah, not that we pass judgement on matters based on our whims, as we indicated earlier, such that we say (for example): “This is something good, so what’s wrong with it?!”

Recall with me what the (first) reaction of Zayd bin Thaabit (radyAllaahu ‘anhu) was when Abu Bakr and ‘Umar presented him with the task of compiling the Qur’aan in order to protect it from being lost. He (radyAllaahu ‘anhu) told them: “How can you do something that the Messenger of Allaah didn’t do?” [5]

But the Muslims of today do not have this kind of understanding at all.

If it is said to the one who kisses the mus-haf: “How can you do something that Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) didn’t do?” He will counter you with many strange answers, such as: “My brother, what’s wrong with that?! I’m only showing respect for the Qur’aan!” So tell him: “My brother, these words fall back on you! Are you saying the Messenger of Allaah didn’t used to show respect to the Qur’aan?!” There is no doubt that the Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) used to respect the Qur’aan, but in spite of this, he wouldn’t kiss it.

Or they may argue: “You forbid us from kissing the Qur’aan, yet look at you, you ride in cars and travel by plane. And these things are innovations!” The refutation of this is based on what you heard previously – that the innovation that is misguidance is only that which occurs with regard to the Religion.

As for those innovations that occur with regard to worldly matters, then as we stated previously, they may at times be permissible and at times be prohibited, and so on. This is something that is well known, and needs no examples.

So a person that rides aboard a plane in order to travel to the Sacred House so that he can make pilgrimage (Hajj), there is no doubt that this is permissible. And a person that rides on board a plane in order to travel to the west to make pilgrimage there, there is no doubt this is a sin, and so on and so forth.

As for maters related to worship, for which if someone is asked about it: “Why do you do it(?)”, his reply is: “To get close to Allaah!”

I say: There is no way to get closer to Allaah except by that which Allaah legislated and prescribed. However, I would like to remind you about something which, in my opinion, is very important for strengthening and supporting this principle “Every innovation is a misguidance” – there being no room for my intellect to consent with it at all.

Some of the Salaf used to say: “No innovation is introduced except that a Sunnah is caused to die.”

I take this fact to heart as if I can feel it with my hand, due to my constant scrutinization of matters to see if the are innovations, and if they contradict what the Messenger of Allaah (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) brought,

When the true people of knowledge and virtue take hold of the Qur’aan in order to recite from it, you do not see them kissing it. Rather, they only act in accordance to what is in it. But as for the common people, who have not set of rules or guidelines to curb their emotions, then they say: “What’s wrong with that?” But yet they don’t act in accordance to what is found in it (from laws and rulings)!

So we say: “No innovation is introduced except that a Sunnah is caused to die.”

There is another innovation similar to this one. We see some people – even the vile sinners amongst them who only have a small portion of Faith left in their hearts – who when they hear the Mu’adhin calling to prayer, they stand up! And when you ask them: “Why are you standing up?” They reply: “Out of respect for Allaah!!” But yet, they don’t even go to the masaajid! They spend their time playing chess and backgammon and so on. And yet, they believe they are showing respect to their Lord by standing up like this. Where did this form of standing come from?? Naturally, it came from a fabricated hadeeth that has no source to it, which is: “When you hear the Adhaan (call to prayer), then stand up.” [6]

There is no source for this hadeeth. Rather, it came by way of a distortion (of an authentic hadeeth) by some weak narrators and liars, who reported “Stand” (qoomoo) instead of “Say” (qooloo), whilst at the same time abridging the authentic hadeeth: “When you hear the Adhaan, then say (qooloo) just as he says. Then send Salaat upon me…” [7]

So look at how the Devil beautifies innovations to people, such that they feel content with themselves that they are believers who respect the rites of Allaah – the proof for this being: when they take the mus-haf, they kiss it, and when they hear the Adhaan, they stand up!!

But does he act upon the Qur’aan? He doesn’t act upon the Qur’aan! So, for example, he may pray, but does he avoid delving into prohibitions? Does he avoid taking interest or giving it? Does he avoid spreading amongst the people the means that will increase them in their disobedience to Allaah? Does he…Does he…, and so on and so forth?? These questions may never end. This is why we stop and suffice with that which Allaah has legislated for us from acts of obedience and worship without adding one single letter to that. This is since the matter is as the Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said: “I have not left behind anything that Allaah commanded you with except that I ordered you to do it.”

So this thing that you do, will it bring you closer to Allaah? If the answer is yes, then bring a text from Allaah’s Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) concerning that. Their answer will be: “There is no text for that.” So therefore, it is an innovation, and every innovation is a misguidance and every misguidance is in the Hellfire.

No one should find difficulty with this issue saying: “This is a minor issue, but yet in spite of that, it’s a misguidance that will take the one who does it to the Hellfire??”

Imaam Ash-Shaatibee responded to the likes of this question, saying: “Every innovation, no matter how small it may be, is misguidance.”

One should not look at this ruling – in the fact that it’s misguidance – to the innovation itself. Rather, one should look at this ruling to the place in which this innovation has been newly introduced into. What is this place? The place I am referring to is the Legislation of Islaam, which is perfect and complete. So it is not proper for anyone to try to “amend it” by introducing an innovation into it, whether big or small. This is where the “misguidance” of innovations comes from. The misguidance doesn’t come from just him introducing the innovation into Islaam, but rather because of the fact that he is giving (himself) the ability to amend the Legislation (of Islaam), above that of our Lord and above our Prophet (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Footnotes:

[1] Saheeh At-Targheeb wat-Tarheeb (1/92/34)

[2] Salaat at-Taraaweeh (pg. 75)

[3] Saheeh At-Targheeb wat-Tarheeb (1/94/41)

[4] Saheeh al-Jaami’-us-Sagheer (3174)

[5] Translator’s Note: Refer to Saheeh Al-Bukhaaree (Eng.) (vol. 6, hadeeth no. 201). Zayd bin Thaabit (radyAllaahu ‘anhu) was one of those who used to write down the revelation for the Prophet.

[6] Silsilat-ul-Ahaadeeth ad-Da’eefah (711)

[7] Saheeh Muslim (384)

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Maimunah
05-10-2007, 09:42 AM

jazakaAllah khayr

Umm Yoosuf
05-10-2007, 09:50 AM
:salamext:

Barakallahu Feek :thumbs_up

------
05-13-2007, 02:07 PM

Oh come on! Kissing the Qur'aan is bida'ah?! Bida'ah Hasaanat yeh...Jeez :-\

You have respect and love for the Qur'aan, thats why u kiss it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Pk_#2
05-13-2007, 02:15 PM
AsalamuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh Wa Maghfiratuh,

aii aiii I did not know this

jazakAllahu Khair, :)

HBot 5000
05-13-2007, 04:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4

Oh come on! Kissing the Qur'aan is bida'ah?! Bida'ah Hasaanat yeh...Jeez :-\

You have respect and love for the Qur'aan, thats why u kiss it.

Sister it came as a came as a complete shock to me too! But we have to ask ourselves did the prophet :arabic5: kiss the Quran? No. Did the salaf (3 genrations) after do it? No. So why do we?

It's all there in the article above but remember bid'ah destroys the sunnah. Same type of argument with the prophets birthday. Anyhow its not my place to try and convince you, my job is just to post the info and let you decide for yourself. :) :thumbs_up

------
05-13-2007, 04:50 PM

Did the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alaihi Wa Sallam) have a copy of the Qur'aan the way we have it today?!?!

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-13-2007, 04:59 PM

In the old times the Qur'an for them used to be in a huge sack containing leaves and other things with the Qur'an written on it. If you do such a thing today, people will accuse you of heresy and perhaps even apostasy for 'not respecting the Qur'an'. Love for the Qur'an is not shown whether one kisses the paper on which it is written, because that is only symbolic and empty. Love for the Qur'an is when one memorizes it, studies it, recites it, contemplates it, and follows its laws and commandments and becomes its companion. When Ibn `Abbas saw a copy of the Qur’an decorated with silver, he said: “In so doing, you will be seducing the thief, while its true ornament and decoration are within it."

Shaykh Shuraim of Masjid Al Haram in Makkah, said in one of the Dua’s that he would say: “Oh Allaah make us from those that stand up for the Hudud (laws) of the Qur’an, and do not make us from those who stand up and respect the letters and loose the Hudud of Yours."

Perhaps it's time that we stop this symbolic show of love to the letters of the Qur'an and focus more on what the letters are saying. As a clarification, this does not mean that we leave the Qur'an everywhere without giving it respect, but it's only a reminder as to what the Qur'an should be in our lives and that love for the Qur'an is beyond 'kissing' it.

And Allaah knows best.

Al-Zaara
05-13-2007, 05:00 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by HBot 5000

Sister it came as a came as a complete shock to me too! But we have to ask ourselves did the prophet :arabic5: kiss the Quran? No. Did the salaf (3 genrations) after do it? No. So why do we?

It's all there in the article above but remember bid'ah destroys the sunnah. Same type of argument with the prophets birthday. Anyhow its not my place to try and convince you, my job is just to post the info and let you decide for yourself. :) :thumbs_up

Asselamu aleykum,

That applies to the thinking of the followers of Salafiyyah movement.

Well anyways, what if the 4th generation did it, would they have been in the wrong? If yes, then people are considering themselves better, about 1400 years later, than those before them, those closer to the Prophet (salallahu alehy wa selam). Kissing ones husband or wife out of love is permissble, but kissing the Qur'an not? It's a way to show your love for the Qur'an.

Also Shaykh Mutawilli Ad-Darsh gave this answer:

Q: Is it Bid'ah to kiss the Holy Qur'an when opening and closing it?

A: No, it is not a Bid'ah.

Imam an-Nawawi reported that when Ikrimah (may Allah be pleased with him) used to see the Holy Qur'an, he used to put it on his head and kiss it and show a great deal of respect for it, saying "This is the book of Allah, this is the book of Allah."

From this Imam as-Suyuti said it is good to kiss the Holy Qur'an, also drawing an analogy with the black stone in the Ka'bah. Both are to be seen as a gift from Allah.

Similarly, in the same way that we kiss our children to show affection and love, it is a sign of our devotion and love for Allah to kiss the Holy Qur'an.
`Ikrimah is one of those Sahaba reported to habitually kiss the volume of the Qur'an (mushaf). Others are `Uthman, Ibn `Umar, and his father. Allah be well-pleased with them. See for sources on this issue: al-Kattani, Nizam al-Hukuma al-Nabawiyya - al-Taratib al-Idariyya ("Prophetic Governance - also known as The Administrative Constitution") 2:196-197 of the Dar al-Arqam reprint.

------
05-13-2007, 05:01 PM

@ Al Madani

It might help if u listen to other people with an OPEN mind.

Sometimes I just feel that all other comments are put aside in this forum apart from the ones that the 'moderators' think are right :-\

@ Al - Zaara

Kissing ones husband or wife out of love is permissble, but kissing the Qur'an not? It's a way to show your love for the Qur'an.
Respect sister! :thumbs_up

Ibn Abi Ahmed
05-13-2007, 05:05 PM

Sometimes I just feel that all other comments are put aside in this forum apart from the ones that the 'moderators' think are right

I did not delete anything, I did not say wheter it was a bid'ah or not, I just gave my view of the matter. You have every right to disagree.

Ibn Abi Mulaykah narrated:
“‘Ikrimah bin Abi Jahl used to press the Mushaf to his face and cry, saying: “The Book of my Lord! The Words of my Lord!”"
[Reported by ‘Abdullah bin al-Mubarak in ‘al-Jihad’; # 56]

'Abd al-Baari
05-13-2007, 05:11 PM

I didn't know that too
Jazakallah Khair for sharing

chacha_jalebi
05-13-2007, 05:18 PM
salaam

issues show what state the ummah is in, we debate over petty things. now im sure by kissing or not kissin Quran we are not doing anythin sinful, by kissing the Quran it wont benefit us, and by not kissin it wont benefit us.

we should alwys remem the hadiths, "if you doubt something leave it" if people doubt kissin Quran, leave. if you dont have doubt, then its k:D

IbnAbdulHakim
05-13-2007, 05:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by chacha_jalebi
salaam

issues show what state the ummah is in, we debate over petty things. now im sure by kissing or not kissin Quran we are not doing anythin sinful, by kissing the Quran it wont benefit us, and by not kissin it wont benefit us.

we should alwys remem the hadiths, "if you doubt something leave it" if people doubt kissin Quran, leave. if you dont have doubt, then its k:D
i disagree.

i think by kissing the quran it reminds us to respect Allahs kalam more etc, it also makes us venerate the quran far more, if we do it sincerely to show love for Allahs words thus showing love for Allah you think theres no benefit?

didnt the prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam say we'll all get rewarded for our good intents?

look theres TONS of good things we can do, u gnna call them all bid'a? coz the sahabi prophet sallallahi alaihi wasallaam neva got the chance to do em!

for example mayb we get the chance to help fix someones pc fillah, wallahi'l azeem if we do this for the sake of Allah it is an act of worship and its within islam so will you call this bid;'a?

wallahi people open your eyes and hearts....

Al-Zaara
05-13-2007, 05:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muj4h1d4
It might help if u listen to other people with an OPEN mind.

Sometimes I just feel that all other comments are put aside in this forum apart from the ones that the 'moderators' think are right :-\
I can understand if it feels like that at times, and I'm sure none of the Staff has any intention to look like a besserwisser.

format_quote Originally Posted by Al Madani
Love for the Qur'an is when one memorizes it, studies it, recites it, contemplates it, and follows its laws and commandments and becomes its companion.
I agree 100%. Yet this gives no right to call it a bad thing. Think about someone who is a Hafiz, knows it all, can the history of Qur'an and he then kisses the Qur'an out of great respect and love. What more can he gain and give? He has shown in all ways he loves the Qur'an. Kissing the Qur'an is just one, small way to say you respect the words of Allah. If you didn't respect them truly, Allahu Aleem, maybe you will be questioned about it in the End.

When Ibn `Abbas saw a copy of the Qur’an decorated with silver, he said: “In so doing, you will be seducing the thief, while its true ornament and decoration are within it."

Shaykh Shuraim of Masjid Al Haram in Makkah, said in one of the Dua’s that he would say: “Oh Allaah make us from those that stand up for the Hudud (laws) of the Qur’an, and do not make us from those who stand up and respect the letters and loose the Hudud of Yours."
Very nic quotes mashaAllah, and people should indeed reflect why they are kissing the Qur'an, if they do so. This applies also to why they are praying, why wear the Hijab... These all can fall into the same category in means of "meaning it".

Perhaps it's time that we stop this symbolic show of love to the letters of the Qur'an and focus more on what the letters are saying. As a clarification, this does not mean that we leave the Qur'an everywhere without giving it respect, but it's only a reminder as to what the Qur'an should be in our lives and that love for the Qur'an is beyond 'kissing' it.

And Allaah knows best.

Indeed it should be beyond kissing it. Yet again I say: It is not a bad thing, you are not obliged to do it nor do you do bad without doing it.

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544452

I'm just giving a different view.

And Allah knows best.

chacha_jalebi
05-13-2007, 05:31 PM
^ i never said its a bidah or not but i think kissin it will not harm or benefit :D

and Allah hu alim:D

IbnAbdulHakim
05-13-2007, 05:32 PM
Love for the Qur'an is when one memorizes it, studies it, recites it, contemplates it, and follows its laws and commandments and becomes its companion.

and kissing the quran negates all this?

brother i love you fillah but that made me smile :)

- Qatada -
05-13-2007, 05:33 PM

I think some scholars say this to use as a criterion:

- If the Messenger of Allaah had the ability to do something in order to draw closer to Allaah, and he never did it [nor his companions] - then if we add that, then it is a bid'a.

- If the Messenger of Allaah never had the ability to do something, and he never did it, and it is permissible in boundaries of Shari'a, then that is permissible. And Allaah knows best.

On point no. 1 - if the Messenger of Allaah had the ability to kiss Qur'an for example, and he never did it, then we don't have to. And we can also take into consideration on what his companions did.

On point no.2. Because they never had computers at that time - they wouldn't be fixing one for their companion, and because its permissible to do and within the boundaries of Shari'a, then we will be rewarded for the good intention in that deed insha Allaah.

And Allaah knows best.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-13-2007, 05:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah

I think some scholars say this to use as a criterion:

- If the Messenger of Allaah had the ability to do something in order to draw closer to Allaah, and he never did it [nor his companions] - then if we add that, then it is a bid'a.

- If the Messenger of Allaah never had the ability to do something, and he never did it, and it is permissible in boundaries of Shari'a, then that is permissible. And Allaah knows best.

On point no. 1 - if the Messenger of Allaah had the ability to kiss Qur'an for example, and he never did it, then we don't have to. And we can also take into consideration on what his companions did.

On point no.2. Because they never had computers at that time - they wouldn't be fixing one for their companion, and because its permissible to do and within the boundaries of Shari'a, then we will be rewarded for the good intention in that deed insha Allaah.

And Allaah knows best.

jazakAllah khair bro, agreed :D ! :D

:)

:D

Al-Zaara
05-13-2007, 05:35 PM
^ i never said its a bidah or not but i think kissin it will not harm or benefit :D

and Allah hu alim:D
No no, it wasn't directed to you. Of course you're free to hold your opinion, brother. But mashaAllah, you are right, we get into some petty issues subhanAllah, while bigger issues are remained unsolved.

May Allah forgive our weaknesses and grant us strength in Faith. Ameen.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-13-2007, 05:36 PM
lets close this thread, it was nice while it lasted eh :D

ummAbdillah
05-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Ameen :)

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-13-2007, 05:37 PM
^^Well I remember I dropped the Quran by mistake when I was little, Astaghfirullah. My mom yelled at me and told me to kiss it. Is that ok to do or what? I mean I wouldnt know what to do except kiss it or say Astaghfirullah.

islamirama
05-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Imaam Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaanee is one of the very prominent scholars and very well respected for his vast knoweldge. Prophet *S* said the inheirtors of the prophets are the scholars, And he also said to seek knowledge from the learned men (scholars,alims,imam,etc).

Allah say's in the Quran, today i profected your deen and choosen Islam for you. In another verse He says, you have no say in a matter that has already been decided by Allah and His Messenger.

Lot of Muslims have their cultural baggage that may or may not agree with Islam. Lot of bidah is in those cultures and things that go against islam. If the this great scholar says its bidah then it is bidah. There is no point crying about it and whining or making excuses. A true believer does not make excuses for his actions but rather abandons that which is not part of Islam after he comes to learn about it.

Kissing the quran is bidah as is mawlid un nabi among other culturally invented practices. Many Muslims don't even read the Quran do or pray sallah but they'll kiss the Quran when they touch it once ina blue moon or are quick to celebrate mawlid.

Bottom line, haraam is haraam regardless of what excuses people bring.

Al-Zaara
05-13-2007, 05:39 PM
We just discussed that sister Jazzy. :skeleton:

Nσσя'υℓ Jαииαн
05-13-2007, 05:40 PM
But I didnt come across anything about dropping it. My bad if it was answered! lol

HBot 5000
05-13-2007, 05:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamirama
Imaam Muhammad Naasir-ud-Deen Al-Albaanee is one of the very prominent scholars and very well respected for his vast knoweldge. Prophet *S* said the inheirtors of the prophets are the scholars, And he also said to seek knowledge from the learned men (scholars,alims,imam,etc).

Allah say's in the Quran, today i profected your deen and choosen Islam for you. In another verse He says, you have no say in a matter that has already been decided by Allah and His Messenger.

Lot of Muslims have their cultural baggage that may or may not agree with Islam. Lot of bidah is in those cultures and things that go against islam. If the this great scholar says its bidah then it is bidah. There is no point crying about it and whining or making excuses. A true believer does not make excuses for his actions but rather abandons that which is not part of Islam after he comes to learn about it.

Kissing the quran is bidah as is mawlid un nabi among other culturally invented practices. Many Muslims don't even read the Quran do or pray sallah but they'll kiss the Quran when they touch it once ina blue moon or are quick to celebrate mawlid.

Bottom line, haraam is haraam regardless of what excuses people bring.
Agreed! :thumbs_up

chacha_jalebi
05-13-2007, 05:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Zaara
No no, it wasn't directed to you. Of course you're free to hold your opinion, brother. But mashaAllah, you are right, we get into some petty issues subhanAllah, while bigger issues are remained unsolved.

i dint mean you sista me was talkin to hakim bro:D

abs
05-13-2007, 05:44 PM
hu knows it might be tru it might not be

IbnAbdulHakim
05-13-2007, 07:03 PM
i dint mean you sista me was talkin to hakim bro:D
not hakim ya akhee, im 'abd of al-hakim, ! :) ! ;) :D

3ARABY_2005
05-13-2007, 07:27 PM
OMG..i didn't know that..!!!

Jazakumullah khair

Snowflake
05-13-2007, 07:43 PM
There's nothing wrong with kissing the Quran out of love. Huh! I can't help kissing my Quran after reciting it. I feel love, respect and gratitude to Allah subhana wa ta'ala for giving me such a miracle. It's a spontaneous reaction and one I'm not to put the reigns on.

But... it might be different if people kiss the Quran thinking there's reward for it, while they don't obey Allah's commands. So, at the end of the day it's the intention that counts.

islamirama
05-13-2007, 08:17 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimah_Sis
There's nothing wrong with kissing the Quran out of love. Huh! I can't help kissing my Quran after reciting it. I feel love, respect and gratitude to Allah subhana wa ta'ala for giving me such a miracle. It's a spontaneous reaction and one I'm not to put the reigns on.

But... it might be different if people kiss the Quran thinking there's reward for it, while they don't obey Allah's commands. So, at the end of the day it's the intention that counts.
Tell me if you have done any alim course? BS in lslamic studies, masters, ph.d? how many yrs have you studied islam under a teacher? By what criteria and qualifications are you passing the ruling "there's nothing wrong kissing the quran"?

We should be careful to pass such statements as prophet saws said one who likes to issue fatwa readily can find his seat in hellfire. It would be safer to say "in my opinion....." rather then a direct statement like that, then the reader may think that rather then your belief and opinion that statement is a fact.

Lastly, scholars have given us ruling based on the years of their studing and the status Allah has given them for devoting their lives to deen. It is ignorant of us to go against such rulings thinking we know better. If there's a difference of opinion among scholars then we can follow the one we think is most right, otherwise to continue insisting something is "ok" becuase one beliefs so is like saying "we believe this becuase our forefathers believed in it"

One thing you are right about sis. Intentions do play a very major role as well. We will be rewarded and punished according to what our intentions are for the actions we take.

Snowflake
05-13-2007, 10:23 PM
O.K. I'll rephrase that. In my view, there's nothing wrong with kissing the Quran. If I found a piece of paper with Allah's kalam on it, I'd kiss that too. How is expressing personal love for the Quran an act of biddah? It's not as if those doing it, consider it necessary. As far as I know, it is only wrong when we believe something is a necessity when there is no evidence to suggest otherwise?

I'll tell you something else bro. You know the feeling a believer gets when he/she recites the Quran. I mean we are reading Allah's Word which He is saying to us. It's feel awesome doesn't it? Well, that feeling makes me kiss the Quran and hold it to my heart. Do you truly believe (regardless of fatwas) that expressing love like so, for the Book that contains Allah's Word is biddah?

MinAhlilHadeeth
05-14-2007, 03:52 PM

Just think of it this way:

If there was any blessing in kissing the Qur'an, the Salaf would have rushed to it.:) The Prophet (SAW) professed that he conveyed the deen. Are we correcting him in this matter?

The issue of bid'ah hasanah was refuted here.

lets close this thread, it was nice while it lasted eh
Better to close it before it turns in to a big fiqh discussion

:threadclo

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.