/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Warning, a common mistake

Umar001
05-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Admonition: A common mistake:

It has reached me, Eesa, of a common mistake and now that I think of it, it is true and is often said, people say when asking question, "Does such and such not contradict Allah's statement..." Then as they proceed to quote Allah in the Qur'an they say, "Allah's statement, I seek refuge in Allah from Shaytan...." and then quote, what they have just said is Allah said I seek refuge in Allah which is a grave mistake indeed. This might be an honest mistake but we should still becareful as there is a story of a companion who out of eagerness said 'What Allah wills and you will' refering to The Prophet, peace be upon him and the Prophet, peace be upon him, admonished him for that, “Do you make me a rival with ALLAH?! Say whatever ALLAH wills alone.” So we should not make escuses but becareful and repent for our mistakes.

The above has reached me on the authority of Albani, i.e. Our Shaykh Al Albani pointed it out but I have yet to clarify this, either way it is a good warning.

So if any brother or sister can translate the arabic from the link found here and confirm it for me please:

http://www.sahab.net/forums/showthread.php?t=343874

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Malaikah
05-17-2007, 11:09 AM
:sl:

Can you explain? I don't get it...

Umar001
05-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Ok, say I want to ask you about a thing I understand, like an ayah. Because before you say an Ayah you should say 'I seek refuge in Allah from Shaytan the accursed' right?

So I say:

"How can that be right, because Allah said [now am going to quote Quran so I say] I seek refuge in Allah from Shaytan the accursed, 'Alhamdulillahi Ladhee Anzala Alaa Abdihi...'

So without realising I have actually said, 'Allah said I seek refuge in Allah from shaytan the accursed Alhamdulillahi Ladhee Anzala Alaa Abidhi..'

So I have mistakenly said that Allah said 'I seek refuge in Allah' it is all about how the sentance is structured.

IbnAbdulHakim
05-17-2007, 11:25 AM
bro isnt that taking it a bit tooo literally...

i mean the commas clearly show that the statement of audhibillah is not what Allahs saying but what we are saying before annoucing Allahs statement.

Allahu a'lam...

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Musaafirah
05-17-2007, 11:26 AM
I didn't realise you had to say Ta'awwuz before an ayah as well..wouldn't it be best to first say Ta'awuz and then say Allah says...?

IbnAbdulHakim
05-17-2007, 11:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Musaafir
I didn't realise you had to say Ta'awwuz before an ayah as well..wouldn't it be best to first say Ta'awuz and then say Allah says...?
yes lol, this is what i been taught eva since i was young

agreed with bro alpha :)

Allah knows best

we leave this to scholars eh..

Musaafirah
05-17-2007, 11:37 AM
To me it feels odd, but sometimes I read here things that I've never ever questioned, coz it always makes sense to me, but now I'm wondering if I should remain placid in my approach to life...:|

IbnAbdulHakim
05-17-2007, 11:42 AM
To me it feels odd, but sometimes I read here things that I've never ever questioned, coz it always makes sense to me, but now I'm wondering if I should remain placid in my approach to life...:|
its just fitnah sis... just take your islam from reliable scholars of islam.

whateva happens dont start trying to deduce rulings from evidence yourself please... its a mistake i learnt from severely...

Musaafirah
05-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Nah bro, you got me all wrong there, what I meant was there were things I've learnt as a kid, what I've been taught at the Masjid and everything and remember, coz it all makes sense..and then I see people question them and I feel confused..coz to me it all..comes on a plate I guess..

Gangster No.1
05-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Sallam evry1.

Brother said:
Al Habeshi
Ok, say I want to ask you about a thing I understand, like an ayah. Because before you say an Ayah you should say 'I seek refuge in Allah from Shaytan the accursed' right?

Allah has given us the quran as quidance, when allah says 'I seek refuge in Allah'' Obvisouly that is stating that WE should recite it '' I seek refuge in Allah''. Not Allah saying '' I seek refuge in Allah''.

it would make sence, bro thats common sence, how can Allah say that when the quran is given to us to obey Allah? Allah does not need us only we need him, therefore the it makes clear sence when we should recite the ayah, for what reason does allah need to say that when Allah has no partneners!!!

Sallam

IbnAbdulHakim
05-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Nah bro, you got me all wrong there, what I meant was there were things I've learnt as a kid, what I've been taught at the Masjid and everything and remember, coz it all makes sense..and then I see people question them and I feel confused..coz to me it all..comes on a plate I guess..
oohhhh mashaAllah then consider urself blessed. its like Allahs shielding you from fitnah

you kno the hadith that when Allah wants to give someone good he gives em understanding of islam, well you got that understanding is why you find it easy to swallow.

mashAllah

may allah guide us all...

Gangster No.1
05-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Allah is telling us to say it not Allah saying it for himself

IbnAbdulHakim
05-17-2007, 11:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Gangster No.1
Allah is telling us to say it not Allah saying it for himself
mashaAllah :) das tru

NobleMuslimUK
05-17-2007, 04:38 PM
I always see it as Allah says seek My (Allah SWT's) refuge from the shaytan.
I dont see how you can misinterpret this verse.

Umar001
05-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Anyhow, I am not saying a person is sinful, I just know that when I think of it I'd rather avoid the mistake lol.

Edit:

I do not see how this can cause so much commotion lol. All I am saying is that just as a person would try not to say 'Oh Jesus' not because they are calling Jesus but because of habit, similarly this warning has come to me and I thought its a good thing to try to keep away from.

Also I fail to see how this questions anything, I dont see how this is a difference of opinion, or a fitnah or any such a thing.

Edit:

format_quote Originally Posted by IbnAbdulHakim
bro isnt that taking it a bit tooo literally...

i mean the commas clearly show that the statement of audhibillah is not what Allahs saying but what we are saying before annoucing Allahs statement.

Allahu a'lam...
I thought that saying 'Oh Jesus' is wrong even if not meant to mean one calling out to Jesus but just out of habit, I try to keep myself from doing that, similarly I thought that this is something that Id want to try not to do.

Edit:

format_quote Originally Posted by Gangster No.1
it would make sence, bro thats common sence, how can Allah say that when the quran is given to us to obey Allah? Allah does not need us only we need him, therefore the it makes clear sence when we should recite the ayah, for what reason does allah need to say that when Allah has no partneners!!!

Sallam
Wa Aleykum Salam Bro,

You are right it's common sense, same as it is common sense that Jesus cannot hear us or help us. But people say 'Oh Jesus' which I would think should be avoid.

Mawaddah
05-17-2007, 05:36 PM

I read thru what Sheikh Al-Albani said Rahimahullah and I attempted to translate it too but halfway thru I thought never mind because it was getting too confusing.

But Generally what he is saying is that there has become a widespread practise amongst people, be they students or just someone reciting or asking a question about a certain verse , to First say "Allah Azza Wa Jalla Says" and then following it by "A'udhubillahi minashhaitaan ar-Rajeem" And then Following it with whichever verse he intended to recite.

So then he goes on to say that many times when he rebuked people for doing that they say that they are doing it in accordance to the saying of Allah in the Qur'an " And when you recite the Qur'an then seek refuge in Allah from the Accursed Shaytaan "

He further said that the recitor does not intend by these sayings of his that Allah is seeking refuge from the Shaytaan, but people do not know what is in our hearts, and so in order for us to keep safe from any suspicion or mistake, we should portray our intentions with our actions, and in this case, not saying the words "Allah subhanahu says " before the words " A'udhubillahi"

He also said that we must stay away from using this phrasing because it contradicts what Rasulullah is reported to have said " Beware of that which you are seeking refuge from "

So Overall, the Shaikh rahimahullah is not saying that we cannot say the words "Audhubillahi ...." before reciting a verse, but we must just be careful when we are phrasing it with the words " Allah says "

If for example we say " A'udhubillahi .........Bismillahi.....etc." Laa ba's. No Problem.

But if we say whilst asking a question, or quoting a verse : " Allah said : A'udhubillahi.....Bismillahi..." then that's where the Tahdheer comes in (warning).

I hope that I explained what the Sheikh said clear enough. If there are any mistakes it's from the Shaytaan.

Wassalam.

Umm Yoosuf
05-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaahi Wa Barakatuh

Subhan Allah! Jazakallahu Khayr Br Eessa for bring this to our attention. I seen so many people say that!

Sr Mawaddah Barakallahu Feeki for the translation, it makes subhan Allah...

Mawaddah
05-17-2007, 06:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al-Mu'minah
Assalaamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatulaahi Wa Barakatuh

Subhan Allah! Jazakallahu Khayr Br Eessa for bring this to our attention. I seen so many people say that!

Sr Mawaddah Barakallahu Feeki for the translation, it makes subhan Allah...
Wallahi? You hear many people say this? I have never heard it yet :hiding:

But if the Sheikh says that it is widespread amongst the students then I must have just been missing something.

Umm Yoosuf
05-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah I have heard people saying it, and not once did I think there was something wrong with it, talk about ignorance . I seen sisters giving Halaq's do it (i.e quite knowledgeable ones)....

Umar001
05-17-2007, 07:12 PM
This was the translation I found I wanted to confirm it so since Mawwadah came up with something similar I will post it;

A common mistake from the students of knowledge by Sheik Albany

The following is a summary translation taken from sahab.net

In the name of ALLAH the Most Gracious the Most Merciful

Our Sheik, Albany, may ALLAH have mercy upon him, said in tape 33 in the series of fatwa from Jeddah…

I see that it is obligatory upon me to warn from this widespread mistake from many of the students of knowledge and other than them, and it is…

Verily if they are in a gathering of knowledge and one of them wants to extract a verse and seek information about it, or if they want to ask about its meaning or if they want to ask what is the connection between a verse and a hadith; the person will say, “ALLAH the Mighty and Majestic said I seek refuge with ALLAH from the accursed devil (and when the Koran is read then listen to it) {7:204}” for example. Or he will say, “ALLAH the Exalted said after I seek refuge with ALLAH from the accursed devil”; and other statements like this from the various statements.

This is an honest mistake in which something is attributed to ALLAH that the person did not intend, but he is condemned by his words. So he falls into opposing the statement of the Prophet, peace and blessings are upon him and his family, “beware of deeds you have to apologize for”. Therefore we, when we seek to correct this mistake with some of the people we say to them, where did ALLAH say, I seek refuge with ALLAH from the accursed devil and when the Koran is read then listen to it? You don’t find anything like this at all.

But I know just as every single one of you knows that the reader or the one seeking information, or the questioner only says this statement or mentions this statement of seeking refuge before the verse (of Koran) implementing or being in accordance with the statement of ALLAH the Exalted, “So when you want to recite the Koran, seek refuge with Allah”) (16:98). This is what they say when we will tell them that it is not befitting that it should be done like this. Because your statement ALLAH said after such and such, means that ALLAH said, I seek refuge in ALLAH from the accursed devil (and when the Koran is read then listen to it) And especially if it is said, ALLAH said after I seek refuge in ALLAH, this word “after” is only connected to the person, it is not connected to ALLAH the Blessed and Exalted.

And with this, it is upon everyone who quotes a verse seeking to use it as a proof or wanting to ask a question about it, to recite it directly and he should not say, ALLAH the Exalted said I seek refuge with ALLAH from the accursed devil (and when the Koran is read) and he should not say, ALLAH the Exalted said after I seek refuge in ALLAH; rather he should begin with the verse; so he should say, “what is the connection between the statement of ALLAH, (So when you want to recite the Koran, seek refuge with Allah) and hadith such and such. Like this, we should be cautious so that we don’t fall into opposition of the statement of the Messenger peace is upon him, (beware of deeds you have to apologize for), (don’t speak with words that you will have to apologize to the people for).

And the people always say, “By ALLAH, I meant this”. Oh my brother, your intention is in your heart no one knows it except for your Lord, rather the best expression of your intention is by your words. Did you not hear the severe criticism from the Prophet, peace and blessings are upon him to that companion? The one who heard the religious sermon from the Prophet peace and blessings are upon him and his family, so the companion stood to show his compliance and to follow the Prophet (peace and blessing are upon him) and to show his obedience to the Prophet (peace and blessings are upon him), he wanted to show this by his statement, “Whatever ALLAH wills and you will, oh Messenger of ALLAH.” So what was the stance of the Prophet, peace and blessings are upon him? He said, “Do you make me a rival with ALLAH?! Say whatever ALLAH wills alone.”

Do you think that this companion intended by his statement in which he was addressing his Prophet, “whatever ALLAH wills and you will”, that he was making the Prophet a partner with ALLAH? When one does not believe in the Messenger of ALLAH with certainty except by fleeing from shirk. Therefore why did the criticism from the Prophet, peace be upon him, to this companion reach such severe words. (“Do you make me a rival with ALLAH?! Say whatever ALLAH wills alone.”). Therefore it is not befitting to justify your verbal mistakes due to the correctness of what is in your heart. This does not justify that, therefore it is upon us that if we speak with words that our speech is in accordance with our good intention and it should not be that our speech is evil and our intention is good; rather it is incumbent that the speech is in conformity to what is in the heart, this is a reminder and this shall benefit the believers inshaALLAH.

Noor
05-17-2007, 07:38 PM
AsalamuAlaikum,

As I briefly look over this thread, I can't help but remember what Sheik Muhammad AlShareef said regarding a similar issue prevalent in the Ummah;

"I would recommend that you abstain from using 'God says' in your poems. Even when quoting English translations of the meanings of the Qur'an, it is technically inaccurate to say, "Allah says in the Qur'an .. (and then continue to quote English, because Allah did not reveal Qur'an in English)"

Stuff like this is something the Christians have done in their short stories and poems. wAllahu 'alam, i think if one opens the door to things like this, a lot more harm and misguidance could befall.

[For example: one could write a short story about how they missed Fard Salah and God told them "Don't worry, i understand you are busy." Do you see how it can lead to misguidance?"]"
http://forums.almaghrib.org/showthre...oetry+question

Any thoughts on the above? Pls share!

Mawaddah
05-17-2007, 07:54 PM
^ Hmmm....... Then how are we supposed to say it if we cannot say God

I would recommend that you abstain from using 'God says' in your poems
Nor can we say Allah ?

it is technically inaccurate to say, "Allah says in the Qur'an ..
Unless we say "Allah said....." And quote the Arabic text and then say "Which means " etc etc. ?

Umar001
05-17-2007, 08:01 PM
What I have seen is people writing like the first time they Quote the Translation, for example, Yasir Qadhi, in his book Introduction to the Sciences of the Qur'an says:

10 It should be pointed out that the Qur'aan is only in Arabic, and is the speech (kalaam) of Allaah, as shall be proved and elaborated upon in the next chapter. Therefore, the unconditional phrase, "Allaah says," when used in this book (or any book), only refers to the Qur'aan. When this phrase is used in a language other than Arabic, it contains an additional implicit cause that should be understood by the audience, and this clause is, "the meaning of which is," since the Qur'aan is only in Arabic. Therefore, this phrase should be understood as, "The meaning of what Allaah has said is..."

This is also shown on islamqa, where you find the answers saying:

(1) The Qur’aan describes the "exaltedness" or "highness" of Allaah in different ways, as His being High and Above, and by describing how things come down from Him, and go up to Him, and by stating that He is above heaven. For example (interpretations of the meaning):

(Highness):
". . .and He is the Most High, the Most Great." [al-Baqarah 2:255]

Emphasis mine.

http://www.islam-qa.com/index.php?ref=992&ln=eng

Mawaddah
05-17-2007, 08:03 PM
^ Jazakallah Khair, that we should keep that in mind and practise it more often Insha'allah because as far as I know most of us are not doing that.

Musaafirah
05-17-2007, 10:19 PM
It's like when mentioning Ahadith of the Prophet (SAW), it's best to say "to the nearest meaning" when saying in English right?
(Seriously, I should be revising!)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.