/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Baby Arabic Lessons - Learn from here Insha Allaah.

- Qatada -
05-26-2007, 07:59 PM
:salamext:

Baby Arabic Lessons

Learn the basics of arabic from here Insha Allaah (God willing.)

Okay, from this thread you'll learn some basic arabic which will help you understand the Qur'an abit more so when you read it, you can get a basic understanding of what is being recited inshaa Allaah (God willing.)

If i ever make any mistakes, or ever need any help - sister amirah_87 or Mawaddah, or any brother or sister who knows arabic can save us insha Allaah.

I only know the basics, and alhamdulillah since i've remembered some of these short techniques, i've been able to understand alot of what has been said, or atleast i've been able to get a basic understanding of what i recite. Inshaa Allaah it will be of benefit to you too.
I'm guessing you already know the basic arabic letters and their sounds inshaa Allaah, if not - the following picture will be a basic guideline. But i won't be going into depth regarding that since the aim of this is to learn just the basic aspects of the arabic language and a little grammar.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/1092/lang2fg0.gif

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
05-26-2007, 08:08 PM

Connectives

The first thing we'll be looking at are connectives, i'll list a few and you have to try to memorise them. They're really simple to learn, and once you get hold of them you'll be able to understand or visualise what the next thing is in the passage.

Al
= The

Fee = In / On the.

Wa = And

Fa = So

Maa = What

Man = Who

Min = from

Hat-aa = Until

Z/Dhaalik = that

New ones Added:

Inn = Surely/Verily

il-laa = except

Examples:

Al = The.

(Al) Madina (The City)

Fee = In / On the.

(Fee) In the earth / On the earth.

Wa = And.

(Wa) and he was happy.

Fa = So.

(Fa) so he started to smile.

Try to memorise those, if you can you will find that they are mentioned alot in the Qur'an. You'll gradually realise that words are mentioned many times in Qur'an repeatedly, and Allaah makes it easy for us alhamdulillah (the praise is for Allaah.)

If i've missed any, please do add and inshaa Allaah (Allaah willing) we'll be talking about prefixes and suffixes next lesson.

Khayal
05-26-2007, 08:17 PM
:sl:

Wow!!! Brother and Sisters, very good idea! I'll try to be punctual in this thread, InshaAllah.

May Allah Subhana Wa Ta'aala bless you all, InshaAllah

JazakAllah khair.

:w:

MusLiM 4 LiFe
05-26-2007, 08:18 PM
wicked thred.. oooo i so wana lern arabic yay :D

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
05-26-2007, 08:29 PM

Prefixes and Suffixes

Prefixes

Prefixes are usually placed at the beginning of a word, usually to make it understandable that the thing being discussed is a human.

The main one in the arabic language is MU (the meem with a dhamma/peysh.) It can be placed infront of any word nearly; i.e. Muslim, Muhsin, Mu'min etc.

It's usually placed before an action or to personify it. (Someone please correct me if i'm wrong?)

I.e.

Muslim (someone who submits)

Mushrik (someone who commits shirk/association of partners)

Muhsin (someone who does good)

Suffixes

Suffixes are at the end of a word, in the arabic language they are mainly; OON and EEN.

The OON usually refers to the past tense.

The EEN usually refers to the present or future.

It's required to make something plural.

So for example, if there are alot of ---. In the arabic language it would be;

Muslimoon/Muslimeen

Muhsinoon/Muhsineen

Mushrikoon/Mushrikeen

Try to make the following words into plurals inshaa Allaah:

Mu'min. (one who believes)

Mujaahid. (one who strives)

Mujrim (one who sins)

Mutahir (one who is pure)

Mujadil (one who disputes)

- Qatada -
05-26-2007, 08:36 PM

Learn them two and insha Allaah we'll be advancing on.. if you can't understand that part, you will with the upcoming parts insha Allaah. :) and if u have any questions - please do ask.

.:Umniyah:.
05-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Mu'min. (one who believes)

Mujaahid. (one who strives)

Mujrim (one who sins)

Mutahir (one who is pure)

Mujadil (one who disputes)

---------------
Mu'minoon-Mu'mineen

Mujaahidoon-Mujaahideen

Mujrimoon-Mujrimeen

Mutahiroon-Mutahireen

Mujadiloon-Mujadileen
-------------------

MashaaAllah TabarakAlllah Akhee May Allah send Barakah upon you for your efforts. Allahuma Ameen :)

taimur_9000
05-26-2007, 09:20 PM
Mashallah... Thank you to everybody i really needed something like this. I always wanted to learn arabic to be able to understand Quran, but no one would teach me. Thank you. now this will teach me to understand Quran.

muzna
05-27-2007, 06:56 AM
wow..brilliant idea..and very easy

vpb
05-27-2007, 06:58 AM

we're notttt babiesssssssssssss :raging: lolll

jazakallah khair :)
may Allah reward you.

- Qatada -
05-27-2007, 05:15 PM

Numbers

We will learn upto 10 in this part of the session insha Allaah:

1 = Waahid

2 = Ith Nain/aan (the Th sounds like when you say thousand)

3 = Thalatha

4 = Arba'a

5 = Khamsa (the Kh sound comes from the throat)

6 = Sita

7 = Saba'a

8 = Thamaniya

9 = Tis'a

10 = 'AshAra

You may be wondering why i'm teaching numbers, but numbers are even mentioned within Qur'an. I.e. the number of angels, how long the Day of Judgement will be etc.

Suffixes Continued...

Now that you've seen some of the numbers mentioned above, we will explain how to make the numbers into their (10 x multiplied counterparts) - ty's (i.e. thirty, forty etc.)

The basic rule is as mentioned in the previous lesson, the OON and the EEN's.

So;

2 = Ith Nain

20 = 'Ish rOON (this is the only exception to the rule, that it doesn't mention the 2/two.)

3 = Thalatha

30 = ThalathOON/een

4 = Arba'a

40 = Arba'OON/een

5 = khams

50 = khamsoon/een

6 = sita

60 = sitoon/een

7 = saba'a

70 = saba'oon/een

8 = Thamaniya

80 = Thamanoon/een

9 = Tisaa'a

90 = Tisoon/een

100 = Mi'a

1000 = Alf

1000,000 (Million) = Millioon

More into depth...

Quick Quiz:

1) What is 50,000 (fifty thousand) in the arabic language?

2) What is arba'a + khamsa?

3) What is Siteen + Thamanoon?

4) What is Imaam Al-Nawawi's famous collection of hadith called?

5) What is 1400 in the arabic language?

- Qatada -
05-27-2007, 06:32 PM

I've edited some mistakes i made on the numbers, alhamdulillah i was corrected.

And some people said that the connectives aren't really 'connectives' - i agree.. i just wanted to fit all the words which will help you link or 'understand' what the sentence is saying. So i will place them all under that 'Connectives' category inshaa Allaah.

Khayal
05-27-2007, 07:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fi_Sabilillah
Quick Quiz:

Khamsamillioon

4 + 5 = Tisa

60, 8o

Al-Nawawi's Forty Hadith

Arbaalf

:sl: Brother

I know there must be some mistakes, BUT atleast i learned in the last few minutes and answered.

Woodrow
05-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Some important suffixes for nouns are ee, ec and oo. ee=My, mine,- ec=you, your,- oo=his

dar=house
daree=my house
darec=your house
daroo=his house

tarboosh=hat
tarbooshee=my hat
tarbooshec=your hat
tarbooshoo=his hat

ktoob = books

try to fill in the question mark.

ktoob?= my books
ktoob?= Your book
ktoob?= his books

- Qatada -
05-27-2007, 07:27 PM

Jazaak Allaah khayr sister sheeba, you got 2 and a half, or maybe 3 out of 4/5 answers right alhamdulillah. And yes you are right, we all are learning alhamdulillah, and we even learn through mistakes.

The red ones are your answers, and the blue is what i say insha Allaah.

Khamsamillioon

Khamseena Alf

[Khamseen = 50

Alf = 1000

= 50,000]

4 + 5 = Tis'a

Yes Alhamdulillah correct!

60, 8o

Yes alhamdulillah correct.

Al-Nawawi's Forty Hadith

This is also correct alhamdulillah, it's famously known in arabic as the "Arba'oon" (40) - because it has 40 Ahadith in.

Arbaalf

Arba = 4

Alf = 1000

= 4000

I think i never explained the question properly, and i never explained what 14 in the arabic language was either. So this is my fault, sorry.

It's said as:

1400: Alf wa Arba' Mi'ah.

1 thousand and four hundred.

Woodrow
05-27-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm going to keep quiet about numbers. The Moroccan words are quite different for Moroccan Arabic and I can not seem to shake them. I'm stuck counting in Moroccan. Although the written digits are the same as in standard Arabic.

Khayal
05-27-2007, 07:43 PM

So out of 5 i answered 3 right, and the first and the last question i didn't get properly, so I tried my best atleast. I will correct myself, insha'allah.

JazakAllah khair.

Woodrow
05-27-2007, 07:50 PM
A nice thing to know in Arabic is how to express the negative. That is done with the words ma shee.

andee means I have. Technicaly it means "with me" but it is used much as we would use I have

ma andee shee = I do not have. (Note the location of ma and shee.)

andee daree= I have my house

Ma andee shee daree= I do not have my house

andee tarboosh= I have a hat

Now try to write "I do not have a hat."

MuslimSis&proud
05-27-2007, 08:00 PM
MashAllah what a brilliant idea, May Allah reward you all with lots of blessings, im really excited about this :D

Khayal
05-27-2007, 08:01 PM
ma andee shee tarboosh:?

Woodrow
05-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Writen Arabic simply takes practice and learning the Alphabet. There are a few tricks that can help. one of them is to remember there are 4 letter forms that never connect to the letter that follows them. these are.

د

و

ا

ر

these can be remembered by remembering the word dooar,دوار

Which means houses, but is also used to mean village.

Woodrow
05-27-2007, 08:23 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *ShEeBa*
ma andee shee tarboosh:?

Correct you just wrote "I do not have a hat."

Alesh ma andec shee tarboosh? = Why don't you have a hat? The alesh has changed the statement ma andec shee tarboosh (You don't have a hat.) Into a question.

alesh makes any statement into a question. It can best be thought of as meaning why.

Woodrow
05-27-2007, 08:42 PM
I am blatantly writting stuff from the first Arabic lesson book I ever had and still have. That is "Arabic Made Easy" by Moucef Saheb-Ettaba and his wife Caroline Squire Saheb-Ettaba. The 1959 edition. It is an excellent book to learn basic Arabic from.

The only "Pure Arabic" is the Qur'anic Arabic, all of the various dialects have been changed through the use of slang and local pronunciations. However, the Qur'anic has remained pure and is free from slang or error. It is the only Arabic understood by all Arabic speaking people.

If you never learn more than one Surah in Arabic, let that be Al-Fatiha.

You all are fortunate there are quite a few brothers and sisters here that do understand Qur'anic Arabic. Sadly, I am still better with the colloquial Moroccan form. But, at least the basic grammar is the same and many common words are the same.

Brother Fi has done a service by starting this thread, now hopefully we can all make it productive and each of us learn. My goal is to gain knowledge of the Qur'anic Arabic. Maybe we can help each other.

Islamicboy
05-27-2007, 08:46 PM
Fee = In / On the.
Alaa= On/ Top ?

Woodrow
05-27-2007, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Islamicboy
Alaa= On/ Top ?

Alaa also transliterated as A'la, A'laa etc. Actually has many meanings but are all related to things similar to the highest, the topmost, the greatest etc.

- Qatada -
05-27-2007, 09:13 PM

Suffixes Continued...

Like Woodrow has explained, there are other forms of suffixes aswell (which are at the end of the word.)

Now i will give some examples of some words, and then we will add the suffix to the end of the word to apply it to ourselves.

Here are a list of words related to family members;

Abu (which means father)

Umm = mother

Akh = brother

Ukht = sister

Now to say them words by themselves is ok, but if you want to be more specific, then you will have to add the suffixes at the end.

EE = MY

For example;

Akh = brother.

If i want to say 'My brother' - i will have to add EE at the end of it.

akhEE = MY brother.

ukhtEE = MY sister

ummEE = MY mother

AbEE = MY father.

Always remember: MY = EE

Ain/Aan

The suffixes - Ain and Aan are usually placed at the end of a word to explain that the thing being mentioned is double or the second.

For example:

ukht by itself means sister.

ukhtEE = MY sister

ukhtAIN/AAN = TWO sisters.

Akh = brother

IkhwAAN = TWO brothers or more.

or we can take the example from Surah Rahmaan:

Jannat = garden

JannatAIN/AAN = TWO gardens

Even the word:

Rajul = man

RajulAIN/AAN = two men.

The final example is of the two Harams (holy sanctuaries) [of Makkah and Medina]

A Haram by itself is just called Haram.

2 Harams are called HaramAIN/AAN.

So always Remember, if there is an AAN or AIN at the end of a word, it's probably talking in the DOUBLE.

If you look at the number two/2 in the arabic language: IthnAIN/AAN - you will understand that the AIN/AAN is derived from the number 2 to mean 'double.'

And Allaah knows best.

Khayal
05-27-2007, 10:11 PM
:sl: Brother Fi

Very beneficial thread, jazaak ALLAH khayr.

edited!!

- Qatada -
05-27-2007, 10:25 PM

Yes & No?

Yes = Na'am

Indeed = Balaa

No = Laa

Nay/Never = Kal-laa

You will find them terms mentioned in the Qur'an alot. The words Balaa (Indeed), and Kal-laa (Nay/Never) might not be used that much in modern day arabic, but it is used alot in Qur'an and also classical arabic.

The words Na'am (Yes) and Laa (No) are still used alot in normal arabic still today.

And Allaah knows best.

Woodrow
05-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Kal-Laa is a very interesting phrase. This is an area that shows the depth of the Arabic Language.

In it's simplist literal translation Kal-laa would be translated as "He said no" But it is a very emphatic expression and the depth of it's connotation is much stronger than our concept of nay or never. It is also an example of another way a phrase can be made negative. As I said before you make a statement negative by using ma shee. Laa can also be used to make a statement more emphaticaly negative and more along the lines of being forbidden.

Alesh Ahmed cal deekshee? (Why did Ahmed say that)
Ahmed ma cal shee deekshee. (Ahmed did not say that)
Ahmed Kal-laa!!!! (Emphatic never, Ahmed never said that, never would and don't even suggest he did) (That can be in reference to anything Ahmed may have been referred to)

So getting back to Kal-laa, it is a very strong use of saying no or never. Much stronger than a Human could be capable of, which is probably why it is seldom used in colloqual speaking.

00:00
05-27-2007, 11:42 PM
Mashallah this is a great idea, keep posting, this thread is really beneficial.

Woodrow
05-28-2007, 07:25 AM
As mentioned above Kal-Laa is one of the ways Never is expressed in the Qur'an. It is also noted that is seldom used in daily spoken Arabic.

An expression used often to denote Never is based on the word Omr which is the root word for life. Omree would mean "My Life" using the suffixes mentioned above we also have Omrec (Your Life) and Omroo (His life)

So using that we have Omree ma which means roughly not in my life, which is often used to mean never.

So If i were to say "Omree ma Cal" It would mean "Not in my life did he say" or a more close English connotation would be "He never said"

Edit: I corrected an error I had made Kal was not the appropiate word to use in Omree ma Kal, What I wrote should have been Omree ma Cal

IceQueen~
05-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Jazakallah Khair

just a little note on Balaa (Indeed) and the difference between it and Na'am (yes).

This (Balaa) is used (as Yes/Indeed) in response to a negative question.
For eg: 'a lasta bimuslimin? (Are you not a muslim?)

if you answered Balaa here it would mean Indeed (I am a Muslim) but if you answered Na'am here it would mean No (yes I'm not a Muslim)

WAllahu A'lam

Umar001
05-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Wow thanks, that shows some depth of the language.

Woodrow
05-28-2007, 10:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
Wow thanks, that shows some depth of the language.
The morre one learns about the language, the more logical it becomes and there soon comes to be seen various patterns for expressing specific ideas, with extrememe clarity. It's complexity becomes the ultimate simplicity.

As was noteced before a way to turn a atatement into a question is with the use of the word alesh which makes the satement a why statement.

andee= I have
Alesh andee= Why do I have?

Another way is to use the word wesh. wesh it self has no actual meaning, but it turns any statement into a question.

Andec Tarbooshee=You have my hat.

Wesh andec Tarbooshee= Do you have my hat?

deekshee mezeean= that is good

Wesh deekshee mezeean= is that good?

- Qatada -
05-28-2007, 11:30 PM

Root Words

Whenever you read words in the arabic language, you will see that it will - the majority of the time - have 3 or sometimes 4 ROOT letters per word.

These Root letters will explain what the word really means, and any extra letters will usually be prefixes or suffixes to explain the words context.

If you can figure out what these 3 letters mean, then you will understand what the word means, or what is being mentioned in the text. So this section is really important to understand inshaa Allaah.

Also, remember that these ROOT letters are consonants, not vowels:

[the vowel sounds:

fatha/zabar - a/aa sound.

dhamma/peysh - u/oo sound.

kasra/zeyr - i/ee sound.]

If you understand this, then you can move onto the next part inshaa Allaah. If not - then re-read it again please.

- Qatada -
05-28-2007, 11:32 PM

Putting it into Action:

Now that we understand this. I will give an example of 3 ROOT Letters:

Jeem

Haa

Dal

= J H D

These 3 letters by themselves spelt together would mean 'to strive' (JuHuD)

This is the pattern we would use to make the 3 ROOT Letters into a verb, or action word:

JaaHi D = JaaHiD

So someone who does the action of JHD would be 'striving' -
so JaaHiD would be 'to strive'

The pattern mentioned here will be used on all the ROOT Letters we use, to make it an 'action word' or a verb.

After the:
1st Root Letter, we will place besides it: aa (mad/long zabr/fatha)

2nd Root Letter, we will place the: i (zeyr/kasra)

3rd Root Letter, we will stay quiet and not add anything to it.

This rule can be applied to any other ROOT word, i.e.

JHL
(JuHuL?) - these 3 letters together mean ignorance.

JaaHiL would be to put the ignorance into practise/make it a verb, so it would mean that anyone who is ignorant/doesn't know is a JaaHiL.

FSQ (FuSuQ) - these 3 Root Letters together mean someone who is a wrongdoer.

FaaSiQ would be someone who is doing wrong things, a sinner.

R Sh D - these 3 Root Letters together mean guided.

RaaShiD would be someone who is guided.

ZLM (zulm) - these 3 Root Letters together means to wrong someone.

ZaaLiM is someone who did wrong someone.

Insha Allaah you can apply that rule yourself, and i will give you a list of words to apply it to.

- Qatada -
05-28-2007, 11:33 PM

Questions:

Example) FaaSiD - these 3 Root Letters mean corruption (FaSaaD)

What is someone called if they cause corruption?

[The answer is given on this question just as a tip, check the following questions insha Allaah and apply the same rule.]

1) HKM - these 3 Root Letters means Wisdom.

What is someone called if they are wise?

2) QTL - these 3 Root Letters mean to fight.

What is the action of fighting called? [Use the examples i gave you earlier as a guideline]

3) SDQ - these 3 Root Letters mean 'truth'

What is someone called if they are truthful? [Use the examples i gave you earlier as a guideline]

4) LTF - these 3 Root Letters mean to be 'gentle'

What is someone called if they are 'gentle'? [Use the examples i gave you earlier as a guideline]

5) HSB - these 3 Root Letters mean to Judge someone and take them into account.

What is someone called if they take people into account? [Use the examples i gave you earlier as a guideline]

Insha Allaah if you can understand this part well, you are on your way to understand alot more arabic insha Allaah.

Woodrow
05-28-2007, 11:59 PM

Mashallah Bro. Fi, you just posted some very beneficial lessons and with what you have just said anyone who has followed this thread is now well on the way of being able to compose basic sentences in Arabic.

As a side note, you also showed one of the wonders of the language. Virtually every Arabic word can be reduced to a 3 consonat root word and from that simple start, entire sentences can be formed.

IceQueen~
05-29-2007, 12:12 PM
:sl: This might be a little adavnced at this stage (dunno) but for those interested- in Arabic there are ten most common verb forms

ie ten dif patterns that the 3-letter roots can fall into:

1- فعل fa'ala (basic form- the 3 root letters)

2- فعل fa''ala (at first glance this might look the same as the first form but actually the second letter ('ain) is doubled in this form, so it would be pronounced with emphasis)

3- فاعل faa'ala

4- أفعل 'af'ala

5- تفعل tafa''ala (this is the same as the second form but with a 'ta' in front this time)

6- تفاعل tafaa'ala (this is the same as the third form but with a 'ta' in front)

7- انفعل infa'ala

8- افتعل ifta'ala

9- افعل if'alla (the 'laam' is doubled so pronounced with emphasis 'allla')

10- استفعل istaf'ala

the bits highlighted in light green are the additions to the roots (prefixes/suffixes)

Woodrow
05-29-2007, 01:52 PM
Very nice Ice-Queen, very helpful. It does point out that the key to learning Arabic is to learn the root forms of the words. Once you learn the root you can express any thought related to it.

All of the Arabic text books I have teach grammar by using xxx (3 x's) as representing any word. From that humble beginning you can expand on the grammar rules.

I do believe that everybody is now ready to start building up a vocabulary some common nouns have already been mentioned I would like to go over some and add a few more;

Dar=house
Tarboosh=hat
La-hem=meat
Da-jahj=chicken
Kho-dra=vegetables
Khoo-biz=bread
ta-Bib=Doctor
ta-Bib ahs-naan=Dentist

Now with the prefexes and suffixes everybody now knows we can can ask for any of them or say if we want or have any of them.

I should point out that the above words are not the only Arabic words that would mean about the same thing as the English translation. Arabic is a much more specific language. So there are often several words that can be translated into the same English word, but in Arabic there are subtle differences. It was pointed out to me that Baith is also used to mean house, although both dar and baith will translate into the English house they both have slightly different connotations. dar is more generec and closer to the English building. There are also other words that would mean hat, vegetables and bread. Some of the more specific words will often be found in the Qur'an.

IceQueen~
05-29-2007, 02:51 PM
Each of the ten verb forms has a separate pattern for The Active Participle (AP) (the one who DOES the action of the verb) and The Passive Participle (PP) (the one who has it DONE TO IT)

for the first basic form (fa'ala):

AP- فاعل faa'il

PP- مفعول maf'ool

So for eg with the verb قتل qatala (to kill)

AP- قاتل qaatil (the killer/one who does the act of killing)

PP- مقتول maqtool (the one killed/one who has the action of killing done to them)

Each of the other 9 forms of the basic 3 letter root have their own patterns for the AP and the PP

They may seem a lot to remember but once you get the hang of it, it will be easy InshaAllah

Ummah
05-29-2007, 03:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Writen Arabic simply takes practice and learning the Alphabet. There are a few tricks that can help. one of them is to remember there are 4 letter forms that never connect to the letter that follows them. these are.

د

و

ا

ر

these can be remembered by remembering the word dooar,دوار

Which means houses, but is also used to mean village.
Asalaamualaikum. fantastic thread. jazakhAllah!

for the urdu/punjabi speakers, another way this can be remembered (because its same as urdu alphabet nearly) is the non-connecting words spell out the word URDU in the urdu language like this -->
اردو

Islamicboy
05-29-2007, 09:35 PM
if you answered Balaa here it would mean Indeed (I am a Muslim) but if you answered Na'am here it would mean No (yes I'm not a Muslim)
I was wondering why that was Jazakllah khair.

Pk_#2
05-29-2007, 09:56 PM
MashaAllah

JazakAllah wa barkAllah fik Also,

Jus one fing..#

Is this all of it?

And erm also can you like put it together UNLESSSS you wana copy and paste it one by one into word for me, :exhausted (if yes than be my guest) :D

AsalamUAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh Wa Maghfiratuh.

Ummah
05-29-2007, 10:16 PM
is it "jazakhAllah" or "jazakhillah"? someone on another forum said it was properly pronounced as "jazakhillah" which is fine but...ive noticed majority of ppl pronounce it as jazakhAllah. try typin the two into google and u'll c what i mean too.. same if u type the two into the search box on islamicboard.

Woodrow
05-29-2007, 11:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummah
is it "jazakhAllah" or "jazakhillah"? someone on another forum said it was properly pronounced as "jazakhillah" which is fine but...ive noticed majority of ppl pronounce it as jazakhAllah. try typin the two into google and u'll c what i mean too.. same if u type the two into the search box on islamicboard.
Looking at the entire phrase in Arabic text, it looks like this:

جزاك اللهُ

From what I understand the wa over the ha at the end makes the pronunciation of the ha as hu, so the way I read it the proper pronunciation is jazakallahu

Ummah
05-30-2007, 10:44 AM
JazakhAllahu bro woodrow :D

i hope i said that right! :|

- Qatada -
05-30-2007, 11:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummah

JazaakAllaah is when directing it to brothers.

JazaakIllaah is when directing it to sisters.

format_quote Originally Posted by amirah_87

The difference "Jazaaks" are used when addressing different types of people (male, female, a group.. etc)

The most commonly used one's are:

JazaakAllaah khayr - when addressing a Singlular Male

- Jazaakillaahu khayr- When addressing a Singluar Female.

- Jazaakumullaahu khayr - when you're directingly addressing a group of people, Male and female. Or just male only.

Hope it helps inshaAllah.

and for directly addressing a group of females you'd say:

-JazaakunAllaahu khayr.

Correct me if I'm wrong inshaAllah people.
http://www.islamicboard.com/arabic/4...nt-jazaks.html

3isha
05-30-2007, 11:50 AM

Thank you very much | Thanks

شُكْراً جَزِيلا
شُكْراُ
Shukran jazeelan
Shukran

You're welcome
عَفْواً
3afwan

Excuse me
مَعْذِرَةً
Ma3theratan ("th" like in "the")

Perhaps | Maybe
احْتِمال
رُبِما
E7timaal
Rubama

Hello | Hi
السَلامُ عَلَيكُم
مَرحَباً
As-salamu 3alaykom
Mar7aban

See you!
الى اللِقَاء
Ila Al-liqak2

Good day!
نَهارٌ سَعيد
Naharon Sa3eed

Good morning!
صَبَاحُ الخَيْر
Saba7ol-khayr

Good evening!
مَساءُ الخَيْر
Masa2ol-khayr

Good night!
تُصْبِح عَلى خَيْر
Tusbe7 3ala khayr

Bon appetite!
بالهَنَاءِ و الشِفَاء
Bel-hana2i wash-shifa2

Welcome!
مَرْحَباً
أهْلاً و سَهْلاً
Mar7aban
Ahlan wa sahlan

Have a good trip!
رِحْلَة سَعِيدَة
Ri7la sa3eeda

- Qatada -
05-31-2007, 07:09 PM

Anyone who thinks that i've taught u how to make sentences, they're incorrect, sorry.

I was just teaching you how to understand what a word means, the 3 root letters, and the prefixes and suffixes for it.

Plus no-ones answered the questions i gave yet, which means that no-one understood? Or did anyone understand what i meant?

snakelegs
05-31-2007, 09:16 PM
great thread - and finally i know what letters the numbers 2 and 7 stand for!

Pk_#2
05-31-2007, 09:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
great thread - and finally i know what letters the numbers 2 and 7 stand for!
izit? what does the 2 stand for - :oS

Also you didn't answer my question either bro fi sabz ANDDD ITS IN ENGLISH :laugh:

snakelegs
05-31-2007, 09:49 PM
is it called hamza? can't remember. 7 is ha and 3 is 'ayn.

- Qatada -
05-31-2007, 10:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maliha Misam
MashaAllah

JazakAllah wa barkAllah fik Also,

Jus one fing..#

Is this all of it?

And erm also can you like put it together UNLESSSS you wana copy and paste it one by one into word for me, :exhausted (if yes than be my guest) :D

AsalamUAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh Wa Maghfiratuh.

:wasalamex

i can do that insha Allaah.. the main source i learnt this stuff off was this:

http://www.islamicboard.com/arabic/3...are-files.html

but yeah i can put it onto word insha Allaah.

snakelegs
05-31-2007, 10:16 PM
i have a question i've wondered about for a long time.
why do some words that end in the "a" sound have a ya and a straight line up above at the end. is there any reason other than that's how it is?
example - musa. issa too (i think) there's a number of them.

Pk_#2
05-31-2007, 10:17 PM
:wasalamex

i can do that insha Allaah.. the main source i learnt this stuff off was this:

http://www.islamicboard.com/arabic/3...are-files.html

but yeah i can put it onto word insha Allaah.

AsaalmuAlaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh Wa Maghfiratuh,

JazakAllah - Much appreciated,

If your done pasting i can put it on word myself, but i dunno if my sis will let me download them files on the site :(

The site @ the bottom madinah arabic i've looked into many times and inshaAllah after exams gonna study from it :)

Thanks alot though, i need something like this so i can teach my siblings when they are bored :D

"One who moves to fulfill any need of his brother, and makes effort for it, will find it better than itikaaf of ten years;" Al Targhib

Pk_#2
05-31-2007, 10:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by snakelegs
is it called hamza? can't remember. 7 is ha and 3 is 'ayn.
maybe,

i know the 7 is ha, and 3 must be ayn also

Peace. :D

asadxyz
05-31-2007, 11:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Maliha Misam
maybe,

i know the 7 is ha, and 3 must be ayn also

Peace. :D
Assalaamo Alaikum :
I picked up this post from a website:
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=53282

In recent years, it has become common to use numbers in transliteration to represent certain Arabic sounds that are hard to reproduce in English. For those of you who are not familiar with the system, here it is:

(The ones in red are the most commonly used.)

2 = أ (glottal stop; otherwise transliterated as ' ) Example: سؤال (su2aal)
3 = ع (guttural sound not found in many other languages; otherwise transliterated as ' ) Example: لعب (la3iba)
3' = غ (French and German "r"; otherwise transliterated as gh) Example: الغراب (al3'uraab)
5 = خ (German or Scottich "ch"; otherwise transliterated as kh) Example: باخرة (baa5ira)
6 = ط (hard "t" sound; otherwise transliterated as t or T) Example: وطواط (wi6waa6)
6' = ظ (hard version of the "th" sound in the English word "the"; otherwise transliterated as dh or DH) Example: أظهر (a6'hara)
7 = ح (highly aspirated, guttural "h" sound; otherwise transliterated as h or H) Example: بحر (ba7r)
7' = خ (see above)
8 = ق (guttural "k" sound; otherwise transliterated as q) Example: القارب (al8aarib)
9 = ص (hard "s" sound; otherwise transliterated as s or S) Example: أصل (a9l)
9' = ض (hard "d" sound; otherwise transliterated as D or dh) Example: بيض (bay9')
9: = ق (see above)
Best of luck

Pk_#2
06-01-2007, 07:26 PM
AsalamuALaykum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh Wa Magfhiratuh,

jazakAllah Akhi,

What's a gutteral?

Ano wah a glottal stop is 'cause its part of my accent :D

BarakAlalh fik though for the post, get ris of the 'best of luck' and replace with 'All the best'

Ty :)

Khayal
06-02-2007, 12:16 AM

Questions:
Example) FaaSiD - these 3 Root Letters mean corruption (FaSaaD)
What is someone called if they cause corruption?

Ans. Faasid

[The answer is given on this question just as a tip, check the following questions insha Allaah and apply the same rule.]

1) HKM - these 3 Root Letters means Wisdom.

What is someone called if they are wise?

Ans. Haakim

2) QTL - these 3 Root Letters mean to fight.
What is the action of fighting called? [Use the examples i gave you earlier as a guideline]

Ans. Qaatil

3) SDQ - these 3 Root Letters mean 'truth'
What is someone called if they are truthful? [Use the examples i gave you earlier as a guideline]

Ans. Saadiq.

4) LTF - these 3 Root Letters mean to be 'gentle'
What is someone called if they are 'gentle'? [Use the examples i gave you earlier as a guideline]

Ans. Laatif.

5) HSB - these 3 Root Letters mean to Judge someone and take them into account.

What is someone called if they take people into account? [Use the examples i gave you earlier as a guideline]

Ans. Haasib.

Insha Allaah if you can understand this part well, you are on your way to understand alot more arabic insha Allaah.

Brother, i learned it the same day you posted it and i thought you will keep it continued, sooo i was waiting for a new lesson...

JazkAllah khair

Woodrow
06-02-2007, 02:00 PM
One thing to keep in mind. There are some differences between colloqual Arabic and Qur'anic or pure Arabic.

However, the grammar rules used in the Qur'an will always be appropriate if a person is ever in doubt.

Here are some typical verbs, try to find the "root" letters in each.

shef, eeshoof (He saw. He sees)

Ja, eejee (He came. He comes.)

Cal, eecol (He said. He says)

araf, eearaf (He knew. He Knows)

Khayal
06-03-2007, 12:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
One thing to keep in mind. There are some differences between colloqual Arabic and Qur'anic or pure Arabic.

However, the grammar rules used in the Qur'an will always be appropriate if a person is ever in doubt.

Here are some typical verbs, try to find the "root" letters in each.

shef, eeshoof (He saw. He sees)

Sh f , E SH F

Ja, eejee (He came. He comes.)

J , ej

Cal, eecol (He said. He says)

C l, ecl

araf, eearaf (He knew. He Knows)
Arf, Erf

I tried my best, BUT I am not sure if it's right.

IceQueen~
06-03-2007, 12:35 PM
^Which dialect of Arabic is that :?

Woodrow
06-03-2007, 01:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by IceQueen~
^Which dialect of Arabic is that :?
That is the standard collogual Arabic used in many newspapers and news
sbroadcasts.

I'll copy this particular part from my old 1959 text book. This was the textbook the University of Rabat used to use to teach Arabic to English speaking Students.

Woodrow
06-03-2007, 01:10 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *ShEeBa*
I tried my best, BUT I am not sure if it's right.

Very close you are getting the concept. The post above this one may help clarify.

NoName55
06-03-2007, 01:29 PM

JazaakAllaah is when directing it to brothers.

JazaakIllaah is when directing it to sisters.

http://www.islamicboard.com/arabic/4...nt-jazaks.html

I think from now on I am going to write it as follows:

Jazaaka Allah (m)
Jazaaki Allah (f)
Jazaakum Allah (p)

NoName55
06-03-2007, 01:37 PM
BTW if some just say or write "may Allah grant you"

they could add any thing at the end under their breath. It could be blessing or a curse

- Qatada -
06-05-2007, 05:20 PM

The Action:

These are verbs (doing words) but not directly attributed to anyone.

QTL = QiTaaL = Fighting

JHD = JiHaaD = Striving

NFQ = NiFaaQ = Hypocrisy

KTB = KiTaaB = Book/writing

HSB = HiSaaB = Accounting/Judgement

From the examples above we see that from the root letters that they stay the same, but only the vowels are changed in a minor way;

i.e.
QiTaaL = the act of fighting.

muQaaTiL = One who did the fighting.

NiFaaQ = the act of hypocrisy

muNaaFiQ = One who has performed the act of hypocrisy [i.e. hypocrite]

HiSaaB = the act of accounting/judgement.

HaaSiB = one who takes into account

etc.

Can you do the same for the 3 root letters of the following:

HJB =

KZB =

JHD =

Past Tense:

JaHaDa.

Every letter has a zabar/fatha over it, which makes it the past tense.

I.e.

QaTaLa = killed

JaHaDa = strived

KaZaBa = lied

etc.

asadxyz
06-05-2007, 06:15 PM
Assalaamo Alaikum
Thanks a lot .wonderful information.
Best of luck

- Qatada -
06-06-2007, 06:43 PM

..a few more suffixes

Woodrow has mentioned some already, and i'm just going to mention them again insha Allaah. So you don't need to read this if you already know them.

The main word we're using now is RaB

RaB means Lord, Cherisher, Sustainer etc. Our RaB is Allaah/God, and all the good we have is a blessing and a trial from Him.

Now if i just want to say Lord by itself, it would be: - RaB.

If i wanted to say MY RaB, it would be RaBEE

Now if i wanted to say OUR Rabb, it would be RaBaNaa [Naa = OUR]

This one is usually recited in duas/supplications, especially when Imaams pray/make supplication in Jamaa'ah (congregation.)

If i wanted to say YOUR Rabb, it would be RaBuK.

[the K or letter Kaaf means you (singular)]

However, RaBuKum (with a meem [M] at the end would be plural, i.e. if you were talking to alot of people you would say RaBuKum (Your (plural - to alot of people) RaB/Lord.)

And Allaah knows best.

Balthasar21
06-07-2007, 04:44 AM
As Salaamu Alaykum = Peace Be upon you .
Wa Alaykum As Salaam = And on you be peace

Shukran Jaziylan = Thank VERY MUCK

Laa Shukran Ala Waajib = That's all right ( It's my obligation ) ( Reply )

Afwan = That's alright ( A pardoning )

Marhaban Bika = You're welcome

Ahlan Wa Sahlan = Welcome and peace

Ma'am = Yes

Laa = No

Laysa = Not

Min Fadlak = Please

Shukran = Thanks

Ashkuruka = I thank you

Ma As - Salaamah = Good bye ( Go with peace )

Araaka Fiy Maa Ba'd In Shaa - A Allah = See you later if Allah wills

Al - Hamdu Lillah Ala As - Salaamah = Welcome back praise to Allah on you peace

Salamaka Allah ( Thank you + Your peace comes from Allah )

Maa Ismuka = What is your name

Ismiy Ahmad = My name is Ahmad

Uqaddimu Laka Sayyid Mahmuwd = May I introduce Mr . Mahmuwd

Tasharrafnaa = I am very pleased to meet you

Sabaah An - Nuwr = Good morning

Nahaarak Sa 'iyd = Good afternoon to you

Nahaarak Mubaarak = Good afternoon with blessing to you ( Reply )

Masaa -A Al Khayr = Good evening

Masaa A An Nuwr = May your evening be bright ( Reply )

Laylat Sa'Iydah = Good Night

Hal Tatahaddthu Al Lughata Al - Iytaaliyyah = Can you converse in the Italian language ?

Aywah Atahaddathu Qaliylan = Yeah , I can converse a little .

Min Fadlak Takallam Ala Mahlik = Could you please speak more slowly please

Ana Laa Atakallamu Lughataka Jayyidan = I don't speak your language very well .

Min Fadlak Takallam Bisawtin Aaliy = Please could you speak with a higher voice ( louder ) .

Ma Ma'na Hadhaa = What does this mean ?

Ma Ma;na Dhaaka = What does that mean ?

Hal Tafhamu = Do you understand ?

Na ' Am Afhamu = Yes , I understand

Kayfa Haalaka = How are you

Kawiys Al -Hamdu Lillah Wa Anta =

Bikhayr Al -Hamdu Lillah Wa Anta = Very good , Praise to Allah , And you

Al - Hamdu Lillah Mutashukkar Wa Anta = Praise to Allah , Thank you very much , And you

Kawiys Al - Hamdu Lillah = Fine , Praise to Allah ( Reply )

Tayyis Al - Hamdu Lillah = Marvelous , Praise to Allah ( Reply )

Hal Tatakallamu Al - Lughata Al - Injiliyziyyah = Do you speak the english language ?

Na'Am Ana Atakallamu Injiliyziy Wa Firinsiywa = Yes , I speak english and french And .... Asbaaniy Wa Al - Lughatal - Arabiyyata Al - Fusha = Spanish and the language of classical Arabic .

- Qatada -
06-07-2007, 11:29 AM
thanks balthasar :)

Peace.

Star
06-07-2007, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=Balthasar21;759115]As Salaamu Alaykum = Peace Be upon you .

Ma'am = Yes

i thought Na'am meant yes

Woodrow
06-07-2007, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=Star;759593]
format_quote Originally Posted by Balthasar21
As Salaamu Alaykum = Peace Be upon you .

Ma'am = Yes

i thought Na'am meant yes
That is correct. I assume the Ma'am was a simple typographical error.

Balthasar21
06-07-2007, 09:22 PM

Peace.

Shukran Jaziylan

Star
06-10-2007, 03:42 PM
wots the right way of saying how are u?

i read from bro balthasar's post that its Kayfa Haalaka, but when i was taught, i was told its Kayfal Haal, can u say it both ways?

- Qatada -
06-10-2007, 04:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Star
wots the right way of saying how are u?

i read from bro balthasar's post that its Kayfa Haalaka, but when i was taught, i was told its Kayfal Haal, can u say it both ways?

Kayfa haal is okay in of itself i think. But Kayfa haaluK is more accurate since the K at the end of the word signifies 'you.'

Like the example i gave earlier - Rabb = Lord.

RabbuK = YOUR Lord.

So the K would signify that it's talking to another person.

Or for example the word;

Huna = here

HunaK = There

So you see that the K at the end is usually required to make the person understand that you're talking to another person. And Allaah knows best.

Woodrow
06-10-2007, 04:53 PM
I was taught to say Kayfa haaluK in Morocco. But that was from a friend and not a formal lesson.

Khayal
06-10-2007, 10:55 PM

Brother, Fi-sabililah, please keep on posting, If i don't get anything i'll ask you, Inshaallah. BUT please don't stop.

- Qatada -
06-11-2007, 02:33 PM

Al = The

Normally, you place "The/Al" infront of a word like you do in the english language. I.e. The morning (Al Fajr.)

But because the arabic language is a 'flowing language' - to make the sentence smoother, the Al can be changed in a small way to make the sentence and words easier to pronounce.

For example:

Al-ShaMS = Ash-ShaMS (the sun)

Al-NaJM - An-NaJM (the star)

Al-RiSaaLaH = Ar-RiSaaLaH (the letter)

Al DeeN = Ad-Deen (the religion/way of life)

So whenever it's easier to say the word without pronouncing the L (Laam) [in Al] - then you can do that, and connect it directly with the word after it.

However, at normal times you stick to the normal pattern of Al. For example;

Al Fajr [the morning], Al Maghrib [the west], Al Qiyaam (the standing) etc.

Inshaa Allaah i will use some verses from Qur'an next lesson, so try to memorise alot of the connectives and 3 root letter words which we mentioned in the earlier lessons.

Woodrow
06-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Here is a brief guide to the numbers. The written numbers will be the same throughout the Arab world. But the pronunciation of the names for the numbers do differ a little. I would suggest using this just to get familiar with the way the integers are written

One thing to notice that this is Moroccan dialect and the word zooj is used for two, however in much of the Arab world zooj means pair. I believe that is the only major difference you can see with the numbers.

Balthasar21
06-14-2007, 11:33 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by - Qatada -

Peace.

Shukran Jaziylan

Star
06-16-2007, 05:52 PM
have the lessons finished? :?

- Qatada -
06-16-2007, 06:06 PM

Okay, no cheating by looking at the translation - but i want you to read this and explain what you think it means:

خَلَقَكُم مِّن نَّفْسٍ وَاحِدَةٍ
KhaLaQa KuM MiN NaFSin WaHiDah...
That's part of a verse from Surah Zumar.

I've mentioned what all the other words mean apart from NaFS, which means 'soul/person.'

I'm thinking of more verses yet, that's why it's taking me a while.. sorry.

nevesirth
06-16-2007, 07:33 PM
how do u say 'is' in arabic. or is 'is' irrelevant in the arabic language.

like when u say al seeyara fiel bab amamee, it should mean the car is' at the front gate. hope u knw wht i mean?

Woodrow
06-16-2007, 09:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by nevesirth
how do u say 'is' in arabic. or is 'is' irrelevant in the arabic language.

like when u say al seeyara fiel bab amamee, it should mean the car is' at the front gate. hope u knw wht i mean?
I am still in the process of upgrading my old colloquial Arabic and just now making an effort at learning the Grammar. as best as I can tell the infinitive does not exist in Arabic and there is no specific word for is. the concept of "is" is expressed through the prefixes and suffixes. I am finding the best way to think of Arabic is that all nouns and verbs can be seen as 3 consonants and the concept of the relationship between them and adjectives and adverbs comes from the use of combining them with the proper suffixes and prefixes.

snakelegs
06-16-2007, 11:12 PM
well i don't know if it's relevant or not, but in hebrew there is no present tense of the verb "to be"

.:Mustapha:.
06-17-2007, 03:47 AM

Excellent thread, I am from a Lebanese origin so I should read and write good Arabic. Unfortunately not. I moved to the UK when I was 11 & I forgot almost everything while learning English :-[. I still speak & understand Arabic excellently.
This thread has been very helpful so thank you all for your input. May Allah Reward All Of You, Insha'Allah.......:statisfie

nevesirth
06-18-2007, 01:06 AM
wht are the arabic words for 'because' 'will' 'more' 'wrong' 'bad' 'fight'

Woodrow
06-18-2007, 01:26 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by nevesirth
wht are the arabic words for 'because' 'will' 'more' 'wrong' 'bad' 'fight'
tall order, it will depend much on the context of the sentence. I am trying to recall some examples.

For More Akh-bar can be used in some cases if the more is meant to be larger.

Will is best expressed with Radee such as "Radee T'cal"=You will say

Woodrow
06-18-2007, 01:27 AM
Let us stop trying to avoid Bro. Qatada's post. Who will be the first to try?

Okay, no cheating by looking at the translation - but i want you to read this and explain what you think it means:

I've mentioned what all the other words mean apart from NaFS, which means 'soul/person.'

asadxyz
06-19-2007, 01:09 PM

خلق = He created
كم = you
من = from
نفس = soul (person)
واحدة = single (one)
He created you from a single person

skhalid
06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
lol why call it baby arabic?...

asadxyz
06-19-2007, 05:05 PM
(Just after brother Qatada)
خَتَمَ اللّهُ عَلَى قُلُوبِهمْ
Translate it.

Woodrow
06-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Here is a very basic audio. But keep in mind this is not Qur'anic Arabic and does not have the beauty of the Qur'an.

http://media.putfile.com/ahlan_wa_sahlan_lesson_01

cute123
06-25-2007, 12:29 PM

Suffixes Continued...

Like Woodrow has explained, there are other forms of suffixes aswell (which are at the end of the word.)

Now i will give some examples of some words, and then we will add the suffix to the end of the word to apply it to ourselves.

Here are a list of words related to family members;

Abu (which means father)

Umm = mother

Akh = brother

Ukht = sister

Now to say them words by themselves is ok, but if you want to be more specific, then you will have to add the suffixes at the end.

EE = MY

For example;

Akh = brother.

If i want to say 'My brother' - i will have to add EE at the end of it.

akhEE = MY brother.

ukhtEE = MY sister

ummEE = MY mother

AbEE = MY father.

Always remember: MY = EE

Ain/Aan

The suffixes - Ain and Aan are usually placed at the end of a word to explain that the thing being mentioned is double or the second.

For example:

ukht by itself means sister.

ukhtEE = MY sister

ukhtAIN/AAN = TWO sisters.

Akh = brother

IkhwAAN = TWO brothers or more.

or we can take the example from Surah Rahmaan:

Jannat = garden

JannatAIN/AAN = TWO gardens

Even the word:

Rajul = man

RajulAIN/AAN = two men.

The final example is of the two Harams (holy sanctuaries) [of Makkah and Medina]

A Haram by itself is just called Haram.

2 Harams are called HaramAIN/AAN.

So always Remember, if there is an AAN or AIN at the end of a word, it's probably talking in the DOUBLE.

If you look at the number two/2 in the arabic language: IthnAIN/AAN - you will understand that the AIN/AAN is derived from the number 2 to mean 'double.'

And Allaah knows best.
Mashallah Tallah , bravo its too good ,

Star
06-25-2007, 04:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by asadxyz
Translate it.
i've tried translating this, but im finding it a bit hard, i give up. is any1 going 2 translate it?

shigatse
06-25-2007, 05:01 PM

- Qatada -
06-29-2007, 04:17 PM

Suffixes... still continued.

Yeah, theres alot of suffixes but if you can understand them, then alhamdulillah it becomes alot easier.

Remember when we discussed the suffix -

K = K (you - singular.) Kum (you - plural)

Kum = You (Plural) ?

We gave some examples; i.e.

RaBuK = Your (singular) RaB [Lord]

RaBuKum = YOUR (plural) RaB [Lord]

Others include;

ALayK = upon You (singular)

ALayKum = upon YOU (plural)

Al SaLaaMu ALayKum = The Peace upon YOU (plural)

Now that you understand that a little. Here's a continuation;

H =
Him/Her/Them

Instead of putting the K at the end now, we'll be placing a H or the 'Haa' at the end. The H represents him/her or 'them.'

Let's take a look at some words insha Allaah to explain that.

ALayHim = upon them

Like in Surah Al Fatiha [surah 1 of Qur'an] -

..anAAamta AAalayhim...

..those upon whom You have bestowed favor...

We see from the translation that its in plural - 'those.' for the word 'him/hum' in the arabic language.

Similarly, when we mention pious peoples names, we say -

Radhi Allaahu anHum = may Allaah be pleased with THEM (plural)

If we talk about singular, then the vowel at the end will change;

I.e.

Radhi Allaahu anHa = Allaah be pleased with HER

Radhi Allaahu anHu = Allaah be pleased with HIM

Radhi Allaahu anHuM = Allaah be pleased with THEM

Some more examples:

I.e.

QawmihEE

Qawm in the arabic language means a group of People. It's pronounced like you say 'comb' in the english language.

QawmiHEE = HIS people

Do you understand?

Alhamdulillah you're getting there.

If you understand these basic rules, then try to go back on the first page to memorise the 'connectives' - those are also important inshaa Allaah.

- Qatada -
06-29-2007, 04:50 PM

More 3 Letter Root words

I'll mention a few words which are mentioned in the Qur'an alot.

Like i mentioned in the earlier posts, if you can know the 3 root letters which make up the word - then that's sufficient to realise what the word actually means. No matter how much vowels are placed around it.

This is why arabic readers who understand the language don't need the vowels.

AaYaaT/H = proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations etc.

HKM = HuKuM = Wisdom

Someone who is wise is a? HaaKiM

3BD*/ 'ABD = It means slave/servant. 3iBaaDaH also comes from this word, so a servant/slave of Allaah does whatever Allaah orders him to do without question, knowing that Allaah is the Wise, All Knowing.

This then becomes an act of 3iBaaDaH (worship) - since any act which earns Allaah's pleasure is a form of worship.

*3 = the letter 'ayn. I'll be using this more often now to represent this letter insha Allaah.

SJD = SuJooD (prostration) - someone who does prostration is known as a SaaJiD. Remember we learnt this rule a few lessons ago?

QYM = QiYaaM [to stand upright] = TaHaJuD (the night prayer) is also called QiYaaM Al LaYL (standing the Night.)

HSN = HaSaN [Good/Beautiful.] Any word with these letters together means good etc. So even if the vowels are different, like HuSeyN, or HuSNa. It is all related to something good.

HMD = HaMD [Praised.] Someone who praises is putting that into action, therefore they would be called HaaMiD.

muHaMaD also comes from the root word Praised.

aHMaD also comes from the root word Praised.

So if you ever see them 3 root letters together, you'll know that it has some sort of link with the word 'praised.'

If you ever need any meaning for any word, all you need to do is give the 3 letters to an arabic speaker, and they will tell you what it's root meaning is insha Allaah. Which will give you a good understanding on what the sentence is trying to say.

Umm Safiya
10-30-2007, 01:18 PM
As-salaamu 'alaykum

Maashaa Allaah, jazaak Allaahu khayran akh Qatada.. Please do continue your lessons, bi idhnillaah.. :thumbs_up

Rare Rose
11-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Looooooooooooool
I like this comment
We aren't babies ^_^

Rare Rose
11-19-2007, 07:22 PM
Really ,it's useful

syilla
11-29-2007, 08:34 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by asadxyz
Translate it.
erm....what is the answer? :embarrass

muslim1
12-01-2007, 05:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rare Rose
Looooooooooooool
I like this comment
We aren't babies ^_^
I like the word babies. Actually we are very babies :sunny: specially when it comes to knowledge. :giggling:

- Qatada -
12-30-2007, 10:24 PM

The Letter before the 3 Root Letters.

Insha Allah this lesson will give a much more clearer understanding to the Arabic which you might have read in the past, and it will benefit you a lot – so take note of this lesson.

Usually, the 3 root letters in a word have a letter before them when a phrase is being said.

I’ll give some examples to make you understand what I’m saying:

The root word I’ll (randomly) use is; F3*L (faa, ‘ayn, laam), which means ‘To Do’ something.

*The 3 represents an ‘ayn.

The root word here will always remain the same. The letter before the root word will change.

I will place a letter before the root word F3L (which means 'to do'):

AF3aL I'm Doing

TaF3aL You're Doing (m)

YaF3aL He's Doing

NaF3aL We're Doing

The underlined letters are Alif, Taa, Yaa, & Nun. These can be placed before any root word and will explain who did that action (the action is the root word.) – Who did the action is the letter before it [in red.]

Another example is KhaRaJa, which means to leave or separate.

AKhRuJ would mean, I'm separating or leaving.

TaKhRuJ would mean, You're separating or leaving.

YaKhRuJ would mean, He's separating or leaving.

NaKhRuJ would mean, We're separating or leaving.

Whenever the letter is put before the 3 root letters, you will know who is doing that action (in blue.)

If you do not know a lot action or verb (blue) words, then it is good to learn a lot so that you don’t get mixed up between the (red) prefix letters and the 3 root letters of the word. This will help you understand the Arabic language a lot more insha Allah.

Practise yourself:

Try it out yourself with these words, and figure out who is doing the action – I, You, he/they, or we? ;

YaKhLuQ would mean, ??? (Pick one: I, you, he, we?) [KhaLaQa = To create]

AS'aL would mean ??? (Pick one: I, you, he, we?). [Sa'aLa = to ask]

YaDKhuL would mean ??? (Pick one: I, you, he, we?) DaKhaLa = to enter, for example to enter a building.]

NuReeD would mean ??? (Pick one: I, you, he, we?). [ARaaDa = to desire or to want, for example to desire the reward of the next life.]

If you don’t’ understand any of what I said, or need more explanation – please do ask insha Allah.

And Allah knows best.

- Qatada -
04-15-2008, 03:42 PM

continued...

There are more letters which are prefixes like the above, they are placed before the 3 root letters.

I.e.

W (the letter waw) - this is used to make something. Don't confuse this with the W that is used as the word 'and' - since this W is a prefix before the 3 root letters.

Or a 'W' can be part of the 3 root letters, so don't confuse it with that either. The only way to remove any confusion would be to learn alot of 3 root words so you can differentiate between whether it is a prefix or part of the word.

Let me explain using examples;

Ahad = One, the number 1.

To make something 1 = Wahada. For example if there is a group of people, and you want to unite them - you call them together, and Wahada - make them 1.Ummatun Waahidah! (the One/united Ummah [nation]!)

That showed how we made the people 1 and united, by placing the W before the ahad.

We'll try placing the W before another word, let's say the word 'Iddah (ayn, daal and haa.)

'Iddah mean's a time period. I.e. the 'iddah for a muslim woman after her husband has died is 4months and 10days - in which she doesn't get married. (Qur'an 2:234)

So now, when someone wants to make a time period happen, (for example i said "I want to meet you at this time tomorrow") - i would place the letter W before the word 'Iddah, and it would become Wa'Ddah.

Wa'DdaH mean's Promise, because you've said that you would meet at a certain time (time period = 'iddah.) So you 'made a time.'

I hope you understand what i mean now..

Another example is the word;

ThiQa (the Th = (the thousand 'ss'sound.) This mean's 'trustworthy.' [its used alot in the science of hadith] Place a W before it, what does it make? _______

It's meaning would be 'a trustworthy' something, i.e. a trustworthy (waathiq)covenant.

- Qatada -
04-17-2008, 01:08 PM

Random Lessons

Maa = What

I.e. Maa iSsMuk = what is your name?

But sometimes, in arabic - Maa can also mean 'I am not', or 'I don't'.

For example, the Prophet (sal Allaahu alaihi wasalam) said to Jibreel on the first revelation;
Maa Ana Bi Qaari' - I am not a reader*

*qaari' also means recitor

I don't know what relationship both "Maa's" have to make them be used differently in different situations, but that's just a fact you have to know.

Ma!

The Ma, [meem with a fatha or zabar on top of it] is a reflection of the 3 root letters that come after it. Its a place or people which do the actions of the root word.

Let me explain; You can't get married to certain people in Islam, such as blood brothers/sisters, or parents etc. They are HaRaM for you right?

maHaRaM
= someone you can't get married to.

Ever heard that word before? I think you have.

Or how about a place where people do alot of SaJDah, sujood? Point at that place where people do SaJDah 5 times a day.

then add a Ma infront of it;
maSJiD (place of sajdah)

Or a place where people have books?
maKTaB (place of books) (KiTaaB or KuTuB = books. maKTooB [plural])

So Ma is a thing which reflects the meaning of the 3 root letters.

Try the following with the words (put a ma infront of it);

__JLiS = gathering [JaLoos = plural]

__JaMi' = grouped [maJmoo' = plural]

__'aaSs = rebellion

__Saa'iL = questions/asking [comes from the word SaL = to ask]

Mu

Whereas if you were the 3 root letters, then there would be a damma/peysh to make it Mu. I.e. muHaMaD - the praised one. Or muHaRaM - that place or month is holy.

So Ma is a thing which reflects the meaning of the 3 root letters. i.e. a masjid, majlis, mahram etc.

Whereas Mu is something that is the 3 root letters. i.e. muShRiK (associator), muHSiN (perfector/extremely good), Muhammad etc.

And Allah knows best.

- Qatada -
04-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Now that we know the above, S (the letter seen) is also a prefix. It's meaning is generally in a future tense.

So for example;

Sa yaQooL (they will say)

We see that the Sa (seen with a fatha/zabar on top) is relating to a future tense, so if you see the 'seen' as a prefix, then you will come to realise that it is talking about something which is likely to happen in the future.

- Qatada -
04-17-2008, 01:09 PM
At the end of a word:

Hum = 'them' (masculine. plural)

Hun = 'them' (feminine. plural)

No!

Laa (it is the word Laa = No.

Lan = used for future tense & Lam = used for Past tense.)

Plural 'oons' & eens'

Now just before finishing off, this last sentence will ease a little bit of confusion on separating the plural from the singular insha Allah.

If you hear the oo(n), or een sound at the end of a word, you know it means more than one.

Like we already know; Mu'minoon, Mu'mineen etc.

In the Qur'an, there is a verse;

Hat-taaYu'minoo

Hat-taa = until

Yu'min (the Y can either be; he or they.

At the end of the word Yu'min, is the oo sound. Which mean's its more than one person, its plural. Therefore it's 'they'.

If there was no 'oo' at the end, i.e. if it was Yu'min - you'd know it's he.

Some more examples of this include; Jaahadoo (those who strive), HaaJaroo (those who emigrate), Aamanoo (those who believe.) Without the green [oo], they would have been singular.

Other ways of Plural

Baab = gate. Lots of gates or 'baabs' would have a 'w' placed in between to make it aBwaaB.

The father is the gate of the house, and that's why he is also known as the BaaBa [father.]

Zaad = increase. Lots of increases = ZiYaaD

So there could either be a Y (yaa)or W (waw) in between many words [especially if at the beginning they only had 2 letters], to show that there are lots.

I.e. HuB (only 2 letters) = to love. aHBaaB = loved ones' [which made it end up with 3 letters.]

I don't know about the details of these rules, but just try to remember them. You'll see these kind of patterns alot in the Qur'an, and if you can grasp them - then that's really good for understanding insha Allah!

- Qatada -
04-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Asalaam alaikum

A few more words, i.e. connectives and other words etc. which might be repeated in the Qur'an alot;

KuLLi/u/a - Every

NaZR - see (it also means warn i.e. a person has seen a threat so they warn people of it.)

KaBL = past

Iyya [alone] iyyaK - [You alone]

NaSR = support (aNSaaR = supporters/helpers)

MaKaaN = place (i.e. fee kulli makaan - in every place)

MaSaL = example

Du'aa = call

TaBa'a = obedient (TaBi'een, i.e. the students of the companions of the Prophet are known as this because they obeyed the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wasalam)'s companions.)

GhaaLiB - overpower

HaaZaa = this is

Alazee = those

ZaaLiK = that is

li ma za? - for what is that? (or simply the word; Why?)

min fadliK [from You favour - or please]

BaYN = between

LaWw = turn / whether

KaD = had/has/have (depending on the context)

- Qatada -
04-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Li = For

'Aw = Or

'An = from (i.e. i heard from ['an] someone)

KaaNa = Was

Shaa' = wills (i.e. Man [what] Shaa' [wills] Allah)

Shay' = thing

You can also download this which has 80% of the Qur'ans words, its only a few pages with translation of the words' meaning.

http://www.emuslim.com/quran/English80.asp

Just a few more which are repeated in the Qur'an alot;

Ja'aL = to make

Jaa' = came

RaJaa' = return

aNZaL = sent down

RiSaaLa = Message Rasool = Messenger

ZuLM = wrongdoing

GhaYB = unseen

Ba'D = after

just click on that link above for more, insha Allah...
http://www.emuslim.com/quran/English80.asp

Next we'll have a test on how much you know of arabic, insha Allah it's alot (atleast enough to understand the Qur'an at a basic level) - so long as you continue learning new words.

ayesha309
04-25-2008, 02:44 PM
im just curious bro Qatada, u said "za" means "is" but i was taught that there is no verb "to be" in the present form (i.e. no "am" "is" "are") since it is arelay implied. its in the past form with the verb "kaana" (like, kuntu, kunta, kunte, etc) and with the future like sayakoonu satakoonu, etc (sayakoona if its muzhari'3 mansoob) i hope im making sense.

- Qatada -
04-25-2008, 05:57 PM

corrected, they were kind of loose translations.. sorry.

.: Jannati :.
04-26-2008, 10:55 PM
lol baby idea mA. its cool :thumbs_up :D

- Qatada -
04-27-2008, 07:10 PM

The Test!

Here's some sentences which you need to translate insha Allah, you will be marked (if you're unsured of any word - you can ask insha Allah but try to do as much as you can translate);

إِن تَكْفُرُوا فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ غَنِيٌّ عَنكُمْ 1

2 ذَلِكَ الْكِتَابُ
3 وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يَقُولُ آمَنَّا بِاللّهِ وَبِالْيَوْمِ الآخِرِ وَمَا هُم بِمُؤْمِنِين

إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَعْلَمُ غَيْبَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْض ِ وَاللَّهُ بَصِيرٌ بِمَا
تَعْمَلُونَ

وَاذْكُرُواْ نِعْمَةَ اللّهِ 5

- Qatada -
09-23-2008, 09:01 PM
asalaam alaikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh

Another example of a prefix, is the 'K' which as a prefix means 'like'.

i.e. wa taKooNul-JiBaaL K[like] al [the] 'ihn [flakes of wool]

And the mountains will be like flakes of wool, [Quran 70:9]

Ka maa yakool [like what he said…]

Ka zaalik [like that]

So the K as a prefix always means 'like' something.

Laysa [none] Ka [like] Mithlihee [similar to Him] shay' [anything]

there is none like Him, and He is the Hearer, Seer (wa huwa samee' ul baseer.) [Quran 42:11]

'Ee' in the Middle

In Arabic, when something has a deeper emphasis, it might have that ‘ee’ [the letter yaa] sound in between.

For example if someone has knowledge, they are called an ‘Aalim. However, Allah has FULL knowledge; therefore He is Al ‘Aleem [the Knowing].

Raheem is the name of Allah, who has a FULL mercy.

Kareem, Rab Al Kareem (you should know what this means.)

Haleem – the forebearing (He is Perfect in being patient.)

Etc.

Most of these descriptions of ‘ee’ are given to Allah because they are a FULL and a Perfect attribute. So these names perfectly match Allah.

- Qatada -
09-23-2008, 09:02 PM
The T [taa] in between

Another pattern which is well known is this: When a person does a certain action, a T [taa] is added at the 2nd letter of the main root word.

i.e.

The word huda means guidance. Now for someone to be ‘guided’ – it will be called;

muhTad

Another example is innovator [mubTadi’], which comes from the word bid’a [innovation].

musTansir - as we can see, this has an extra letter in it, so its abit harder to figure out what the 3 root letter word is. It’s most likely to be the NSR [NaSR = help/aid]. The ‘s’ before the T is likely to be referring to the future tense [remember that the S as a prefix means future tense]. The T refers to it being a personification. (and the mu is a prefix, since its being related to someone/thing.)

Try to find the 3 root letters in these names; (highlight the text in grey to see the answer):

mu’Tasim [the root word is ‘as*im (the s is a saad). ‘asim means protector.) mu’tasim meaning guard.

muqTadir [the root word is qadir – meaning one who has control]

mustarshid [the root word is Rashid – one who is guided] (there is a S there after the ‘mu’ – most likely representing the future tense. i.e. one who will guide.]

musta’sim [this one is exactly like mu’tasim, but likely to refer to the future tense since it has a ‘s’ after the ‘mu’.]

Just incase you wanted to know, these are the names of some of Banu Abbaas’s khulafah.

Re.TiReD
09-23-2008, 09:28 PM
JazakAllah khayr :thumbs_up

Na7lah
09-24-2008, 01:38 AM
these are really great! mashallah

Barakallah fik akhi

*~~AdAn~~*
09-24-2008, 04:23 PM
:sl:Mashallah you have started very usefull thread i have joined a forum 2 learn arabic i hope this will also help you in learning arabic here,s the link

http://www.madinaharabic.com/index.htm

siham
10-05-2008, 02:03 PM
notificatie*

- Qatada -
11-10-2009, 07:22 PM
asalaam alaikum

A [Alif] as a prefix before a word/phrase is a Question.

For example;
A Fa Ra'aYT aladhee tawalaa...

(have you) then seen the one who turned away...

A Lam taRa kayfa fa'ala RabbuKa bi 'Aad

(have) not you seen how dealt your Rabb/Lord with [the people of] 'Aad?

The 'have' in brackets is the prefix - A - which is really just showing that the phrase is a question.

- Qatada -
11-10-2009, 07:23 PM
asalam alaikum

The Family

Mar'ah* = woman.
Nisaa' = women

Rajul = man.
Rajulun/Rijaal = men

Boy = walad,
boys = 'awlaad

Girl = bint,
Girls = Banaat

child = tifl, children = atfaal

*the h there is used as 'Taa' marboota (it has been tied to the end of the word and that's what maRBooTa means), and is placed only at the end of a word. It can either be pronounced as 'h' or 't'.

Usually the 't' is used if connecting to another word, and 'h' is used if its the end of a word or sentence for easy/smooth pronunciation. So the word Mar'a (woman) can be pronounced as Mar'ah or even Mar'at.

Iqra'!

Okay, now let's take the root word QR'a [to read/recite].

When a man reads, you'll say: Ar-Rajulu YaQRa'u

When a woman reads, you'll say: Al Mar'atu TaQRa'u

So you see the difference between males and females being discussed is the prefixes Y [males] and T for females.

Now check if these are right, or if not, what is the correct way?;

Al mar'atu ya'kulu? [the woman is eating]

Al mar'atain/aan ta'kulain/aan? [the two women (are) eating]

Al rijaal taShRaBoon? [the men (are) drinking]

Al rajulu yajree? [the man is running]

Al atfaal yajroon? [the children are running]

Huwa = males [he]

Hiyya = females [she]

Hum = lots of males [them]

Hun = lots of females [them]

What are the meanings of these phrases?

huwa yashrab

hiyya tashrab

Humaa yashruboon

Hunaa tashraboon

Usually, if there are lots of people without us having knowledge of their gender, they'll automatically be placed in the male category. I.e. radiyy Allahu 'anhum .

If it's females, then it's radiyy Allahu 'anhun (pleasure/satisfaction [of] Allah on them).

What do these arabic phrases mean?
;

1) al atfaal yajroon ilaa [towards] buyootihim

2) al mar'ataan taTBuKhaan [TaBKh = to cook] li 'awlaadihin, wa banaatihin.

3) al muslim yasjud ilaa Rabih, wa ya qoowl; subhana rabee al a'la, allahuma ighfirlee. fa ghafarallahu lah, bi rahmatih. inahu huwal ghafoor al raheem.

Answers

1) the childrenrun (masculine) towardstheirhouses.
2) the two women cook for their sons, and daughters.
3) the muslim he prostrates towards his Rab/Lord, and he says; glory (to) my Rab/Lord the [Most]High, Oh Allah forgive me. So forgave Allah for him, with His Mercy. Surely, He He (is) the Forgiving, the Merciful.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.