/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a miswak?

ummnoura
08-12-2005, 04:45 PM
Do you use a miswak? yes, no, sometimes, why or why not?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
SalafiFemaleJih
08-12-2005, 04:47 PM
before every prayer and after every prayer allahmdulillah...sometimes i forget when people are over and at dawats(party shatY's)

I use it all da time cuz its sunnah way : ) I did read lot of hadiths about it.

ahh man u gotta love miswak cuz i do ;)

anyways,

wasalamualaikum wr wb.

Rabi'ya
08-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Assalamualaikum

I have a question about using a miswak.....I know its sunnah and I accept that however....surely during the times of the Prophet SAW it was used to stop things like bad breath, gum disease, decay etc....all these things are nowadays kept away using a toothbrush and toothpaste, which were not available in the days of the Prophet....

If someone would be kind enough to explain...

Wsalaam

Rabi'ya:rose:

SalafiFemaleJih
08-12-2005, 04:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya
Assalamualaikum

I have a question about using a miswak.....I know its sunnah and I accept that however....surely during the times of the Prophet SAW it was used to stop things like bad breath, gum disease, decay etc....all these things are nowadays kept away using a toothbrush and toothpaste, which were not available in the days of the Prophet....

Wsalaam

Asaalamualaikum wr wb,

I remember there is this post about miswak somewhere on the forums....look it up insha'Allah i fink u will get all ur answers inshas'Allah.

wasalamualaikum wr wb.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
08-12-2005, 05:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rabi'ya
Assalamualaikum

Wsalaam

Asalam o alikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh..

sis chek this link out: http://www.islam.tc/Miswaak/

the miswaak has even more benefits than the actual toothbrush and toothpaste.. and its also a sunnah so u get rewarded for usin it..

"he who holds on firmly to my sunnah at a time when my ummah are (grovelling) in corruption will receive a reward of a hundred martyrs."

And, indeed the MISWAAK IS A GREAT SUNNAH.

the reward of salaah (prayers) is multiplied 70 times if miswaak was used before it.

check the link and you can see all its benefits insh Allah.
wasalam o alikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuh.

Rabi'ya
08-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Jazak Allah for the link brother Aqib...

Wsalaam

Mainul_Islam
08-13-2005, 05:47 AM
AA,

i voted "No" because i dont have one

Ummu Amatullah
08-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Never really did use it,but reading about all the benefits makes me want to start now and inshallah I will.

Mainul_Islam
08-13-2005, 06:37 PM
i would have picked the last option if i hadnt seen the thread "you may NEVER want to brush your teeth again!" ;D

ummnoura
08-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Alhamdulillah Sister Shukri,

I just got one about 2 weeks ago. Its not exactly like the Prophet suggested, Its too skinney and too short but it was the only one i could get around here. I love it, how great it feels to follow the sunnah of our Prophet.

Kristy

ummnoura
08-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Voters: 22

Why is it this thread has been viewed over 145 times but only 22 people voted!
:omg:
Come on and vote!

Asyur an-Nagi
07-04-2006, 02:56 PM
maybe this is nothing new, but i saw so many brothers using siwak before doing their prayer when i was doing my umra. as a dentist, nothing please more than seeing that:happy:.

According to researchers, the people with the best teeth are not those who have the fanciest sonic toothbrushes - but those who use their toothbrushes regularly and after each snack and meal. In fact, ancient cultures and developing nations lacked the technology to create such machines for the teeth, yet there have always been reliable ways to clean them.

Muslims use what is called a miswak. A miswak, or siwak, is a small stick with which the teeth are rubbed and cleaned. The end is shaped into a brush through biting or chewing, which serve to separate the fibers and release the healing herbal powers of the twig. Some advantages of the miswak are that is does not require toothpaste, water or a special area to use it, and may be easily carried in one's purse or pocket. It is also disposable and biodegradable - therefore, it is the ultimate environmentally safe toothbrush. Some people even believe it works better than a toothbrush.
Nevertheless, a more compelling reason to use the miswak is that it is Sunnah to do so. Abu Hurairah reported that Prophet Mohammad (saws) said, "Were it not that I might overburden believers, I would have ordered them to use the miswak at every prayer" (Imam Muslim, Vol. 1).

waji
07-04-2006, 03:03 PM
:sl:

nice post
Masha'Allah

:w:

أحمد
07-04-2006, 03:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asyur an-Nagi
maybe this is nothing new, but i saw so many brothers using siwak before doing their prayer when i was doing my umra. as a dentist, nothing please more than seeing that:happy:.

According to researchers, the people with the best teeth are not those who have the fanciest sonic toothbrushes - but those who use their toothbrushes regularly and after each snack and meal. In fact, ancient cultures and developing nations lacked the technology to create such machines for the teeth, yet there have always been reliable ways to clean them.

Muslims use what is called a miswak. A miswak, or siwak, is a small stick with which the teeth are rubbed and cleaned. The end is shaped into a brush through biting or chewing, which serve to separate the fibers and release the healing herbal powers of the twig. Some advantages of the miswak are that is does not require toothpaste, water or a special area to use it, and may be easily carried in one's purse or pocket. It is also disposable and biodegradable - therefore, it is the ultimate environmentally safe toothbrush. Some people even believe it works better than a toothbrush.
Nevertheless, a more compelling reason to use the miswak is that it is Sunnah to do so. Abu Hurairah reported that Prophet Mohammad (saws) said, "Were it not that I might overburden believers, I would have ordered them to use the miswak at every prayer" (Imam Muslim, Vol. 1).

You can get a miswak tooth paste as well nowadays, I've tried it, and it is good, it has a miswak taste as well (don't eat it) but it's good.

lealo
07-04-2006, 06:16 PM
Thanxx :)

07-05-2006, 02:47 PM
jazakallah khair akhee!

There is also a hadith where the prophet (saw) says something like "The siwak from the olive tree is my siwak and the siwak of the prophets before me"

And i read somwhere (not sure if it's a hadith) that using a miswak is half of ur wudu and wudu is half of ur prayer (i think that's what it was).

Mawaddah
07-05-2006, 02:50 PM
I used to constantly have a miswaak nearby whilst I was in Yemen. However when I left Yemen I just couldn't find it anymore so I had to resort back to the toothbrush. *sigh* Miswaaks are just soooooo delicious and yummy to chew on, and the slender ones the size of your pinkie are the best. I love Miswaak!

H4RUN
07-05-2006, 02:51 PM
indeed we've already had a thread or threads on miswaak, and yes it does state in hadith about the levels of miswaak. top of the list is from peelo tree, i think 2nd recommendation is from olive tree
ma'salama

Fishman
07-05-2006, 02:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asma1
jazakallah khair akhee!

There is also a hadith where the prophet (saw) says something like "The siwak from the olive tree is my siwak and the siwak of the prophets before me"
But what about the prophets that lived in places without an olive tree?

07-05-2006, 02:54 PM
^^ Are u sure? Coz i just read that a few days ago about the olive tree...

Miswaaks are just soooooo delicious and yummy to chew on
I agree with you sis - miswaks are the best! I always use miswaks coz i hate toothbrushes :)

07-05-2006, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fishman
But what about the prophets that lived in places without an olive tree?
We don't have olive trees where we live yet the miswaks are still here:)

Fishman
07-05-2006, 02:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asma1
^^ Are u sure? Coz i just read that a few days ago about the olive tree...
But if every people had a prophet, then that means the original Australians had one. But Australia didn't have olive trees before Europeans arrived.

Asyur an-Nagi
07-07-2006, 06:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
I used to constantly have a miswaak nearby whilst I was in Yemen. However when I left Yemen I just couldn't find it anymore so I had to resort back to the toothbrush. *sigh* Miswaaks are just soooooo delicious and yummy to chew on, and the slender ones the size of your pinkie are the best. I love Miswaak!
yea...somehow it is delicious and chewable!

thahira
07-19-2006, 04:25 PM

Salam

I aggree with this post on Miswak. Well I am avid user on toothbrush, when i saw my husband using it i I thought was gone into him using a twig like thing to brush his teeth and not using his usual toothbrush, i thougt he has gone bonkers and past dinosaurs era..pardon me but I was not truly informed about this miswak. After explaining to me.... then i went to do research on this, I am amazed that even prophet (PBUH) was using this which was narrated in one of this hadith.

But I cant get miswak in my country but my husband get in indonesia which has a lemon flavours. As truly it is, it is amazing how much this miswak works. Hmm for the miswak toothpaste never tried off but I still go for the authentic one. :)

MahmoodShariff
07-20-2006, 01:07 AM
Assalamualaikum,

true miswak is the way to go, i have been using it for the last 5.5 years, did not pay a visit to a dentist yet!

syilla
07-20-2006, 01:27 AM
miswak is so easy to use...

you can just put in the pocket and use whenever you want to...and you don't need water to rinse it off...

not like using toothbrush and toothpaste....

BeeBee
09-02-2006, 02:25 AM
Bismilah
Asalamalaikum

I agree People who use Siwaak have the best teeth. Just look at the teeth of the Nomads in Somalia, MashaAllah so white and strong. Alhamdulilah people always ask me what I do to get such white teeth. USE SIWAK, properly:)

Asyur an-Nagi
09-02-2006, 02:27 AM
yes, sister. proper use would obtain best result.

Periwinkle18
06-10-2007, 03:21 PM
i use it sometimes

Star
06-10-2007, 03:54 PM
i voted No, i wish i had 1, inshallah i'll get 1 as soom as i can.

Abu Muslim
06-10-2007, 04:09 PM
"Abu Hurairah (R) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: 'Was it not for my fear of imposing a difficulty on my Ummah I would have ordered that the Miswaak be used for every Salaat'." [Sahih Bukhari]

ummAbdillah
06-10-2007, 04:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Muslimah
"Abu Hurairah (R) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: 'Was it not for my fear of imposing a difficulty on my Ummah I would have ordered that the Miswaak be used for every Salaat'." [Sahih Bukhari]
^ So miswak is a strong sunnah!? it's good for you gums :D

doodlebug
06-20-2007, 02:23 AM

So as a dentist you are in agreement that only using miswak is acceptible for dental care? I ask because my father is a periodontist and before I met my husband he never even saw a real toothbrush. I told him to start brushing his teeth and got him an electric oral b toothbrush and some teeth whitening colgate because when he gets here (he lives in Egypt) I don't want my father to start talking about his teeth. I have been meaning to ask my dad about it but I'm afraid of what he'll say. He is soooo touchy about people's teeth his first impression is always about their teeth!!

Asyur an-Nagi
06-21-2007, 07:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by doodlebug
So as a dentist you are in agreement that only using miswak is acceptible for dental care? I ask because my father is a periodontist and before I met my husband he never even saw a real toothbrush. I told him to start brushing his teeth and got him an electric oral b toothbrush and some teeth whitening colgate because when he gets here (he lives in Egypt) I don't want my father to start talking about his teeth. I have been meaning to ask my dad about it but I'm afraid of what he'll say. He is soooo touchy about people's teeth his first impression is always about their teeth!!
98% of dental health problems are caused by dental plaque. toothbrushing (and miswak of course) are the best solutions if they are performed in the correct manner. you all are invited to my LI dental clinic for any further consultation (free):D

E'jaazi
06-21-2007, 07:47 AM
I use a toothbrush by force of habit. But I should use the Miswak. Thanks for the reminder.

H@fiz Aziz
06-24-2007, 06:51 PM
by using it b4 prayer u get more reward because the prophet use to clean his teeth with miswak. If you want it in scientific term then it protects you from gum disease.

amirah_87
06-24-2007, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mawaddah
Omgg, same here!

I too used to use them constantly in Yemen, they're much fresher than the dried out one's down here.
I havent been able to find one's there like down here so I dont use them anymore. I like to use the end of toothpicks from time to time though. :statisfie

Has anyone here tried using دم اﻻخوين (Calamus Draca)? It's a great teeth whitener, and it has some other benefits too.

It's taken from the Dragon Blood Tree:

I dont know whether it's the roots of the tree that were used or twigs from the actual branches? hmm..

Umar001
06-24-2007, 08:36 PM
is it possible to grow the trees that produce the miswak?

amirah_87
06-26-2007, 12:36 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Habeshi
is it possible to grow the trees that produce the miswak?

I don't know, I kinda doubt it though.

AAMINAH
08-23-2007, 11:57 AM
i have actually just got my first miswak not to sure how to use it but think im doing it correct.

Marzipan<3
08-23-2007, 01:19 PM
i didn't even know people still use them.

Anwarica
08-26-2007, 02:14 PM
I use it sometimes, whenever I have one :)

Kittygyal
08-26-2007, 02:25 PM

do dudettes use them ?

princessz
08-26-2007, 03:19 PM
When I was in jamaat, I learned the rewards of using miswak. I came home and started using it.

ajazz
12-25-2007, 10:15 AM
miracle brush

Ibn Umar (R) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) said: 'Make a regular practice of the Miswaak, for verily, it is healthy for the mouth and it is a Pleasure for the Creator (i.e. Allah is pleased with the Muslim who uses the Miswaak)'.(Source:Al-Bukhari)

Abu Hurairah (R) said:'I have used the Miswaak before sleeping, after rising, before eating and after eating, ever since I heard the Nabi (Sallallahu Alayhi Wasallam) advising so'.(Source: Ahmad)

Sahih Al-Bukhari

Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah's Apostle said, "Were I not afraid that it would be hard on my followers, I would order them to use the siwak (as obligatory, for cleaning the teeth)

YANKEE DENTAL CONFEENCE 2007

Glenn S. Rothfeld, M.D.
Medical Director, WholeHealth New England

Clinical Assistant Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine

Miswak
(Saudi Arabian Chewing Sticks)
and Oral Health

“RESULTS: Compared to tooth brushing, the use of the miswak resulted in significant reductions in plaque (p < 0.001) and gingival (p < 0.01) indices. Image analysis of the plaque distribution showed a significant difference in reduction of plaque between the miswak and toothbrush periods (p < 0.05)..”

. actinomycetemcomitans was significantly reduced by miswak use (p < 0.05) but not by tooth brushing. These results were supported by the in vitro observations that extracts from S. persica interfered with growth and leukotoxicity of A. actinomycetemcomitans.”

http://tinyurl.com/2ej56v

Ummu Sufyaan
12-25-2007, 10:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Kittygyal

do dudettes use them ?
yeah. :sunny:

Nájlá
12-25-2007, 10:23 AM
i dont really use miswake only sometimes and i did not know that it is sunnahbut from now on i will start using it every day

Mysterious Uk
12-25-2007, 01:52 PM
i don't have 1, i should buy 1. I dunno where i can get 1 from but i'l find out.

crayon
12-25-2007, 02:37 PM
I don't, unfortunately. Every time I get a new one, say "this is it, i'm using it for good" I do for like a week or so... Then I just stop for some reason or another.

umar113
01-04-2008, 03:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abu Muslimah
i read the same exact thing.

islamiii
01-06-2008, 08:08 PM
yes .
because
Dawud :: Book 1 : Hadith 47
Narrated Zayd ibn Khalid al-Juhani:

I heard the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) say: Were it not hard on my ummah, I would order them to use the tooth-stick at the time of every prayer. AbuSalamah said: Zayd ibn Khalid used to attend the prayers in the mosque with his tooth-stick on his ear where a clerk carries a pen, and whenever he got up for prayer he used it.

Mikayeel
02-12-2009, 02:36 PM
I use it all the time, i brush my teeth in the morning and then i have one with me and i have it in my mouth whenever i can, then at night i brush my teeth agian. It really works, keeps ur teeth very healthy and in my case very white hamdulilah

sevgi
02-12-2009, 02:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by islamiii
yes .
because
Dawud :: Book 1 : Hadith 47
Narrated Zayd ibn Khalid al-Juhani:

I heard the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) say: Were it not hard on my ummah, I would order them to use the tooth-stick at the time of every prayer. AbuSalamah said: Zayd ibn Khalid used to attend the prayers in the mosque with his tooth-stick on his ear where a clerk carries a pen, and whenever he got up for prayer he used it.
He was a health guru too...man...he is amazing.

There is this brother at uni. He always has the miswak in his mouth etc. To be honest, I feel like hitting him across the head coz he looks like such a redneck. But I think it's just him. Not all brothers...so don't take offence.

I personally don't use the miswak. I brush my teeth a whole lot though! And floss! And I use whitening stuff sometimes!

Maybe I should just listen to our prophetimsad

Mujahidah4Allah
02-12-2009, 03:42 PM

yes alhamdulillah

wa/salam

Silver
02-12-2009, 05:05 PM
No, I don't but I'm gonna ask my grandfather to buy me one :) cos I dunno where to get it.

KashifB
02-12-2009, 08:24 PM
No, but InshaAllah very soon will start miswak.

Na7lah
02-12-2009, 08:48 PM
use it sometimes when ever i feel like it, but usually i use the regular kind

muslim sister)
02-13-2009, 09:45 PM
I don't use miswak,but it doesn't mean I don't brush my teeth;D

yasin ibn Ahmad
02-13-2009, 11:50 PM

alhamdulillah I use it all the time.Yes it is sunnah.We should use it for that reason.And I really like it.Sometimes I think to myself "How can people live without miswak?".

AnonyMouse~
02-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Miswaks are awesomeness :D

rpwelton
02-20-2009, 07:29 PM
I started using one a few months ago, but I have a question regarding care for the miswak:

Are you supposed to cut off a new tip after a period of time in order to maintain "freshness"?

Danah
02-21-2009, 06:05 AM
no I dont, but planning to do in the future

I heard that its very good for teeth

Yanal
03-01-2009, 05:50 AM
When I went to pakistian 4 years ago my father bought it but never used it until it was grossed up.But my uncle in Pakistian MashAllah uses it everytime.

Sister_22013
03-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Are you supposed to cut off a new tip after a period of time in order to maintain "freshness"?

Yes, once the taste and stuff fades off.

I just started using mine last week and try to whenever I remember.

saba muslimah
03-02-2009, 06:28 AM
Asalam alikum.. Can any1 tell me?? Sis n brothers
How can i use...just like brush? Miswak is dat the Long wood is stick?? Or somthingelse small wooden pieces it has Good smell???

Ummu Sufyaan
03-02-2009, 12:58 PM
^yeah the siwak is just this
http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...e-subject.html

u kinda have to remove the outer layer with a blade or something so that you can make "bristles" cos it wont work if you don't do that :D

Marina-Aisha
05-24-2012, 07:21 PM
sorry wots miswak mean?

Everybody
05-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Miswak is a wooden toothbrush like this

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.